Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

January 2014 Thread 17 - and the final babies will be here any day now!

(1000 Posts)
Frizz1986 Sun 02-Feb-14 23:24:00

Thought i would start up the last thread before we move over to postnatal thread.

MerryPops Fri 07-Mar-14 08:35:27

Not a lot to report but seeing as we are on 999 messages I thought I would finish the thread. There's been a lot of life changing events on this thread, let's see what the post natal threads bring!

Here's hoping for happy and more settled babies in the new thread grin

I'm going back to work end of May. We're sharing the maternity leave, so dh will be taking over

MrsVDB Fri 07-Mar-14 08:02:18

Hadnt realised how close we were to the end! Here's the postnatal thread ... Ready for the momentous move

postnatal thread

MrsVDB Fri 07-Mar-14 07:43:08

I was planning on staying off until jan 15 but after going into work this week I realised I'm missing the adult company so may go back when I go onto statutory so about August September I think. But need to look into child care costs and also depends what happens with me and dh

Naturegirl82 Fri 07-Mar-14 07:27:28

pidgy I was told usually they won't fit the coil until after a period as well but my doc said they may fit it earlier if I've not had sex.

Olivia has dibrobase for the eczema. I felt mean last night, smothered her face in cream, hair in oil and squirted saline drops up her nose, poor thing!

I've got my cloth nappies being delivered today. Doing the trial from fill your pants for 21 days to see how I get on and which type I prefer. Exciting!

Pidgy Fri 07-Mar-14 02:57:05

Lots to catch up on!

Lara is also pretty hairy but less than when she was first born. She does have a lot of dark hair though! Hope she keeps it as DS lost his and was a right baldy! Or slap head!! Love it!!

Moby Sling - I've swapped her from the newborn hold to the one where her legs are out. She was 11,6 a week ago so is quite big and seemed too squashed up.

Contraception - I was using the rhythm method and Lara was conceived!! Think a combination of breastfeeding and the stress of moving house delayed ovulation so screwed up my calculations.
I wanted the implant but I have yo drive to a family planning clinic to get it fitted. The doctor suggested the coil but then said I need to wait until I have a period. That wasn't until about 9-10 months later with DS.

Is this true? I thought you could have it fitted ASAP?
My doctors are quite old school and I'm sure friends had it fitted much sooner who we're also breastfeeding (with no periods).

Which cream was recommended for the eczema? I think Lara has a bit on her face, as well as the acne and terrible cradle cap.
She also has conjunctivitis. :-( Shared from DS no doubt!

Hope you are all in the land of nod!

Felix90 Thu 06-Mar-14 22:42:18

We want a second too! Not until Sylvie starts school though so its a while off yet.

July doesn't seem far away does it shock I can't believe its march already. I'm not due back at work until January 2015 but I worked out if we put Sylvie in childcare full time (which we would have to) we would be £80 worse off a month if I went back to work. It's absolutely crazy. I'm thinking its pointless paying someone else to care for her when I could be spending the time with her, then I can look for work when she qualifies for the 15 free hours. But by that time DP will have finished his degree and would probably be working abroad with his dad, and we would be in a position where I wouldn't have to work anyway. I just think id go nuts not doing anything... I dunno what to do!

flyawayblue Thu 06-Mar-14 22:22:04

We haven't had the second one talk yet, well not properly, but at the moment I want a second. Just need to work out how to afford somewhere bigger to live in London shock

Anyone else already worrying about going back to work? I had planned to only take the oml (Ordinary Maternity Leave) due to the extra employee rights but that would be July and that sounds really really soon.

TobyLerone Thu 06-Mar-14 20:28:49

We weren't using proper contraception (except vague rhythm method and withdrawal) for ages before we TTC properly, because we knew we were going to TTC soon and it didn't really matter.
But we absolutely, definitely don't want any more children, so we probably ought to sort something out long term.

TarkaTheOtter Thu 06-Mar-14 20:02:22

We've decided not to use contraception (aside from the natural contraceptive of a toddler, a newborn who will only sleep on me and living in separate countries half the week).

We want another and I'd rather get the non sleeping bit over and done with. I plan on bfing past a year and last time didn't get periods back properly til I stopped at 13months so I'm not totally crazy.

Naturegirl82 Thu 06-Mar-14 18:57:54

altered I'm putting baby oil on, leaving overnight, then washing with baby shampoo and using a soft bristled brush to help loosen the flakes. Seems to be working ok.

I did think Olivia had been weighed loads but thats because mw weighed her at every visit and then the weeks she didn't come we had consultant appointments etc so was weighed at each of these. Will wait till jabs appointment to have her weighed again now I think smile

nature N has baby eczema too. It was getting pretty bad by six weeks but cleared up immediately once we started putting the moisturiser on. It flares up if he gets hot and heat rash appears on his neck. Cradle cap still here but under control as long as he has a bath every day. How are you treating Olivia's cradle cap? Good news about the squint smile. I still think N has one sometimes but not sure. Doc gave us a referral to an opthalmologist but will be hard finding an appointment for such a baby and he does it v rarely, if I'm not imagining it in the first place.

Had N weighed weekly up until six weeks because he was jaundiced and v sleepy. Now just going to do it at his monthly checks.

I had a copper coil too but was told I should wait til 12 weeks post partum to have another fitted. I cannot be trusted with the pill and don't really want more long term hormone based contraception. Having it fitted wasn't that painful, though I really don't appreciate anyone coming near me down there and it took longer than I'd like. Having it taken out was quick and I didn't feel a thing.

The thread us just a very short piece of wire you have to check you can feel to be sure the coil is still in place. I couldn't always feel it but DH certainly could, so will ask to have it a bit shorter this time.

flyawayblue Thu 06-Mar-14 17:04:26

Alice is 11 pounds 7oz at 5 weeks so a chunky one too. Just met up with other mums and babies and she was one of the biggest there but the youngest.

I haven't had my 6 week appointment yet but wondering between the Minera and the copper coil. I had the Minera before but like the idea of no hormones.

BookTart Thu 06-Mar-14 16:55:00

Yeah toby, the hormones in the Mirena were a bad idea for me grin The strings are very short, they are basically just out of the cervix and you just check they are still there every so often. Not a big deal or anything.

DD has been weighed 4 times already (she's 8 weeks), but the midwife was refusing to sign us off due to slow weight gain. Another weigh in tomorrow ffs

I've taken him to get weighed at the hv once, the other time was the 6 week check (which we had at 7 weeks)
i was going to take him today but decided i would rather wait until 25th when i have to take him back to the Dr. If he hasn't put enough weight on i don't want to stress about it until i have to

TobyLerone Thu 06-Mar-14 16:44:10

The hv told me to have her weighed once in between them signing us off at 2 weeks and her 6 week check (which is next week, when she'll be 9 weeks). So we went last week.

Mirena coil is the hormone one, isn't it? I don't think I fancy hormone-based contraception. What is the deal with having to be able to feel the coil strings? A friend tells me you have to check them or something.

Felix90 Thu 06-Mar-14 15:34:22

I've only taken Sylvie to be weighed twice since birth blush and the last time was only because I was at the surgery anyway for an appointment! HV last time said once a month to me too so I didn't feel as neglectful afterwards grin

The hv told me once a month is best

MrsVDB Thu 06-Mar-14 15:25:31

nature I just had him weighed at 4w and last one was 2w. As they're happy with his weight they said I should go once a month but more if I want to

Naturegirl82 Thu 06-Mar-14 15:13:46

6 week check went well. Olivia is fine no problems and the squint the consultant thought was there even though she wasn't even focussing properly at the time isn't there any more which is good. Cradle cap is clearing up, but doc doesn't think it is baby acne but baby eczema so I have some cream for that. She now weighs 11lb 7oz so another 12 oz put on this week!

How often are people having their babies weighed? I've been having her done weekly up till now but wondering if that is necessary.

The coil was recommended to me as well. Need to make an appointment with family planning to discuss though. Will also need to wait to speak to the endocrinologist I'm being referred to just in case they recommend something else.

BookTart Thu 06-Mar-14 14:34:49

I've had both the copper coil and the Mirena before. Neither hurt (because I am well hard smile ) but I didn't get on with the Mirena. No periods though. I'll be having a coil again once/if my prolapse gets fixed.

I don't like the idea of the coil, i looked it up on nhs website. I have had the implant put in. Going well so far

Felix90 Thu 06-Mar-14 14:15:06

I think I just need to brave it! Surely it can't be as bad as childbirth (which I didn't think was that bad at all) grin

TobyLerone Thu 06-Mar-14 14:14:13

I want to know about the coil too, felix! Got my 9 6 week check next week and was going to ask the dr about it.

This thread is not accepting new messages.