Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2014 - The thread fillers are also powering through their scans

(1000 Posts)
BunnyBaby Sat 01-Feb-14 13:11:30

How fast do we get through these threads?

Owlysims Mon 03-Mar-14 15:54:27
Owlysims Mon 03-Mar-14 15:53:01

Just done a new thread I will try to link it now!!!

Owlysims Mon 03-Mar-14 15:50:53

Ha ha piña got to love nhs doctors receptionists!!

HungryHorace Mon 03-Mar-14 15:48:08

Did she say they'd do a prescription? I hate receptionists who think they know better. :-/

PinaColadas Mon 03-Mar-14 15:47:50

and just incase that sarcasm wasn't clear enough, she wasn't medically trained, just a rude cow

PinaColadas Mon 03-Mar-14 15:47:11

(It was a medically trained receptionist who said that by the way...Clearly she knows best...)

PinaColadas Mon 03-Mar-14 15:33:43

Good call Hungry, have just rung them, she said 'You're 18 weeks and got heartburn already?' err Ok... So maybe i'm imagining it. I don't know if its just my morning sickness again, but I'm certainly feeling it!

HungryHorace Mon 03-Mar-14 14:54:31

Piña, call your GP and see if he will prescribe without consultation, or after speaking with you. It's worth a shot. Your local chemist will fetch the prescription for you too.

I'm still using my old exemption for DD which expires in June. Must ask for the new form at my scan when I get my MATB1.

Do you pay because tax is different, Friend, or just because that's the way it is?

Took DD to the park today. She looked unimpressed with the whole swing thing, and the effort it took to walk the 1.5 miles each way. Such an ungrateful child! She's also very near to crawling. I hope she either does it before Thursday or waits til the weekend so I'm around to see it! :-)

PinaColadas Mon 03-Mar-14 13:35:01

:O Omg! What do you do about giving birth, is that private? I definately take the NHS for granted!

FriendofDorothy Mon 03-Mar-14 13:02:07

£45 to see the GP.
£15 for a blood test.

PinaColadas Mon 03-Mar-14 12:43:18

Aww Friend, I can't believe you have to pay to see the GP!!

I was hoping i'd be able to just take my card into chemist and get gaviscon but looks like i'll need to get a prescription which is annoying as I can't be bothered to visit GP, seems daft!!

It is daft, we can't have much at all. Do we get it for a year after baby is here?

FriendofDorothy Mon 03-Mar-14 12:32:28

sigh* I dream of free prescriptions, free dental treatment and free GP appointments. sad

eeyore2911 Mon 03-Mar-14 12:25:41

The last time I was pregnant I went to dentist at about ten weeks before I had exemption certificate and they just took my word for it and said bring it in next time! smile

flymo79 Mon 03-Mar-14 12:17:23

thanks ladies, I will try to call the GP - I didn't see my regular midwife at 16 weeks and didn't know I was supposed to ask! So much to remember....
I feel the same about prescriptions/medicines Jess, it's a funny time to be offering women prescriptions for free! Am also sulking as I paid for gaviscon. pooop.

ClarissaG Mon 03-Mar-14 12:00:19

HI Missvaughan85, I kept getting thrush in the first 12 weeks (touch wood, ok recently) and went to get Canesten cream from the chemist. They wouldn;t give it to me and said I had to speak to my GP. Well this was a Saturday lunchtime and I was, ahem, pretty desperate. I phoned NHS phone line (111 I think), put straight through to a doctor, told it was absolutely fine to use the cream and the pessary but avoid the oral tablet. He faxed a prescription to local boots, picked up 1 hour later, and of course....didn't pay. Who says the NHS doesn;t work (well sometimes it does!)

jessplussomeonenew Mon 03-Mar-14 11:36:54

Flymo, I think they only give out the MAT B1 at about 20 weeks so the exemption card that you apply for with the FW8 form is all you should be asked for. If you can get the form from your midwife they backdate the card to a month before they receive your form so should be ok to claim back.

(Is it just me or does it seem a tad weird to get free prescriptions at a time when I can take hardly any medicines because of being pregnant?)

PinaColadas Mon 03-Mar-14 11:33:16

I got given the exemption card form at 16 week appointment, it's in my bag to post I must remember! Need to get some gaviscon ASAP!

Owlysims Mon 03-Mar-14 11:22:58

Flymo I have the nhs exception card thing? The midwife gave me the form at booking in and sent it straight off?

flymo79 Mon 03-Mar-14 09:59:05

hello all (and hello sillyme, fellow sussexian!) hope you've all had good weekends. I wondered if anyone had their MATB1 yet, or had applied for the FW8 exemption for dental care? I booked a dentist appointment and just checked what I would need only to find I need to already have MATB1 and have this FW8 signed by my midwife.... not gonna happen by wednesday so looks like I will have to pay and claim back. grrrrr.

mummy22814 Mon 03-Mar-14 09:37:57

Noticed alot off people talking about jeans I brought a pair from primark and have found them very comfy and the band is super stretchy and nit bad for a £11 a pair

MrsNutella Mon 03-Mar-14 09:27:34

Hello ladies, just wanted to pop my head. Those who suffer water in their legs some tips for you. I have crappy leg veins so it is a constant problem for me and pregnancy doesn't help.

Magnesium supplement at bed time.
Drink plenty of fluids
Legs up for a few minutes a day if you can
Compression stockings. Not sexy but if you're getting cramps in your legs these are awesome! - you should also be able to get them on prescription.
Acupuncture. I had some in my last pregnancy and while I'm not totally convinced I did find it very relaxing grin
They seem really good at this stuff here (Germany) but then I just accepted it as leg pain in the UK hmm

Hope that's helpful.

Owlysims Mon 03-Mar-14 08:11:45

Welcome newbies and sorry to hear about your very hard journeys, you're passed the 'danger' stage now so definitely concentrate on the mantra 'today I am pregnant'. I have been feeling the odd kick/movement which is helping keep my mind at rest but not loads! Only really at night when I'm laying down!! Currently 16+3 roll on next week when I (hopefully) hear the heart beat and then onwards to 20 weeks grin hope everyone is doing well thanksthanks

Shakshuka Mon 03-Mar-14 03:57:11

I often check this guide to see if something is OK to take
www.babycenter.com/0_chart-over-the-counter-medications-during-pregnancy_1486462.bc

Clotrimazole is there and that's the active ingredient in Canesten so really don't worry missvaugan

But it does say that some anti-fungals might not be OK and that you should check the label.

Shakshuka Mon 03-Mar-14 03:43:59

I think it's fine! I haven't used it presonally but thrush is more common when pregnant and I think many women use it vaginally so I'm sure on your feet it should be OK - how much could be absorbed?

Can you call your midwife and double check if its OK? Don't panic though - it's probably totally fine!!

Girls need some advice, have any of you used canesten during your pregnancy?? I've just put the foot cream on my feet and then panicked and washed it off. Having a bit of a melt down now

This thread is not accepting new messages.