Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

August 2014 - 12 week scans and holding hands!

(910 Posts)
BunnyBaby Mon 20-Jan-14 18:52:48

Hello everyone, off we go again...

Secretlypregnant Mon 20-Jan-14 20:54:45

Checking in!

I had a separate appointment for my bloods to be done between booking in and the 12 week scan, so hopefully they will be able to tell me on the day.

I had chips and mushy peas for tea! Lashings of salt and vinegar!

And please don't take this as boasting, but I just feel really happy because I had some good news today - I have a bit of a post-Christmas bonus coming my way smile. If you have a book published then you get paid a small amount every time someone borrows your book from the library. The figures have been sent out today and I get paid in February. Such a lovely feeling to see how many people have borrowed your books!

Tc80 Mon 20-Jan-14 20:59:21

Congrats secretly! That's not boasting - you should be feeling really proud of yourself smile

WeeJo08 Mon 20-Jan-14 20:59:42

That's great, Secretly! What sort of book(s) did you write?

Secretlypregnant Mon 20-Jan-14 21:02:06

Thanks guys. I write children's books.

WeeJo08 Mon 20-Jan-14 21:05:21

I'm very happy to hear that about library books too - I always wondered how it worked & hoped authors received something ongoing. Only seems fair if many people are getting to enjoy their work. I am a library geek grin

NameToBeDecided Mon 20-Jan-14 21:10:59

Boast away secretly, you should be proud of yourself. Well done!

HungryHorace Mon 20-Jan-14 21:25:48

You should tell us what the books are...we can all borrow them and boost your funds! :-)

lucyfluff Mon 20-Jan-14 21:33:41

ooooo secretly...Im intrigued now...can you tell us?? smile

Secretlypregnant Mon 20-Jan-14 21:39:12

Sorry lucy, but it would totally out me on MN if I named them here! Thanks for the funds boost idea though, HungryHorace!

QueenOfGeeks Mon 20-Jan-14 21:44:49

Too tired for proper post at the moment just about to go to sleep, so just marking my place.

Night night everyone.

CountdownBegins Mon 20-Jan-14 21:47:21

Ah that's lovely news Secretly

TC they did the normal bloods and the nuchal bloods... I thought that was normal but a few people have said to me they had those bloods done after the scan- I'll see on Monday I guess!

Everyone's talk of salt and vinegar has made me so so hungry!

WeeJo08 Mon 20-Jan-14 21:50:30

I feel like complete poop. Such a sore head & a sore throat. Looked online though & found out I can take Strepsils though. Cue tearing the house apart to find them + telling DH that if I couldn't find them it meant he'd eaten them all (he had a bad cold a few weeks ago) & that he'd be driving to the garage to get some. I was mid rant when I found them grin All he said was, "That's good, honey. Do you want a hot drink too?" smile

Lissbug Mon 20-Jan-14 21:51:31

I booked my Harmony test with the Fetal Medicine Centre today. It's next Monday -they take my blood and send it off to the states for testing. Apparently the accuracy is really high and the lead guy at the centre invented the nuchal fold test and is supposed to be amazing so have booked him to do my 12 week scan. I have an nhs one too but given my age I feel so much more confident doing this as well. I would have the test whatever my age.

Had a rough day today after a bad nights sleep. Ended up sleeping in until 10.30! Then had to have a dinner out and there was literally nothing I either could eat or wanted to eat sad

mssleepyhead Mon 20-Jan-14 21:54:42

lissbug do you mind sharing how much it cost? and will you also be finding out the sex then too?

Secretlypregnant Mon 20-Jan-14 21:56:24

That's good to hear, Lissbug - I would have thought it would have a longer waiting time. I'm thinking of booking in with them as a backup to the 12 week NHS scan. Do they take the payment when you book or when you have the scan?

BunnyBaby Mon 20-Jan-14 22:16:47

I've used Fetal Medical Centre too when local hospital wouldn't offer me a scan at 12 weeks with DS1 as they had too many new mums to be! Very efficient, and was pleased with the ease of getting an appointment.

Lissbug Mon 20-Jan-14 22:28:27

It costs 400. I am having the blood test at 10+5 and the scan at 12+7 so I can see the top guy. They take the payment when you have the blood test. Goad you had a good experience Bunnybaby!

Lissbug Mon 20-Jan-14 22:28:55

I mean glad, not goad!!

Lissbug Mon 20-Jan-14 22:30:40

I think I probably will find out the sex. Not good with uncertainty!!

Shakshuka Tue 21-Jan-14 03:24:13

Good luck NTBD . I'm sure it'll be fine. People get pregnant but other things can happen as well that mean people need time off.

Well done secretly. Not boasting at all, you should be proud! It's not easy making money as an author!! You'll have to name the books on the FB group.

mssleepyhead I've been spotting on and off since 5 weeks - I've had 3 ultrasounds already because of it but all OK so far!

Can't remember who asked about the Harmony test but I'm not in UK so my experience is different. I did go to the FMC for the 20 week scan with my 2nd baby - they were very good! I'm having the blood for the MaterniT21 test (like harmony) tomorrow and 12 week ultrascreen on Thursday.

Poor DH is a bit bummed. We went to the amazing Italian restaurant that he'd booked for my birthday and the food tasted just bleugh to me. I feel sick now when I think of it. DH said the food was great! And I didn't last through the jazz concert either - I got too tired! Bless him, he did his best.

2beornot Tue 21-Jan-14 07:04:10

NTBD - I'll tell your new boss if you'll tell mine! I'm going for a visit tomorrow afternoon but can not til fri, so I really don't want to tell them then just in case! I then either have to wait until 12th Feb when I'm next there or do it over the phone. I think I might take the cowards way blush

Secretlypregnant Tue 21-Jan-14 07:24:36

Thanks Shakshuka. It was I who asked about the Harmony test.

What a shame you couldn't enjoy the food! At least you made it to some of the concert - was it good?

flymo79 Tue 21-Jan-14 08:16:46

good luck for fellow scans today, bricking it slightly, no sleep last night...

HungryHorace Tue 21-Jan-14 08:47:28

Yes, good luck for the scans today. :-)

Shak, what a shame about the birthday night out. At least your DH tried hard though!

Feelingfatty Tue 21-Jan-14 08:49:16

Good luck today with scans!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now