Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

January 2014 Thread 16 - More babies arrive or we make delicious lasagnes whilst we wait

(1000 Posts)
enormouse Wed 15-Jan-14 11:27:18

Here you go - New thread! (Procrastinating wildly)

TobyLerone Sun 02-Feb-14 17:09:37

Putting away the tiny clothes is on my to do list for this week. She's growing too quickly and the cloth nappies mean that even though she'd still fit in newborn clothes, they don't fit over her bum!

Well done on the bus trip, frizz smile

Good luck, MrsV!

Bluecarrot Sun 02-Feb-14 17:23:01

Gah! We are putting away some 0-3 months stuff and Sophia is only 15 days! Like you toby cloth makes a difference but even in disposables 3 outfits have been put away.

Frizz1986 Sun 02-Feb-14 17:45:10

Aww we have put away the tiny baby stuff too and some of it was so cute and she only wore some stuff on once. Feel sad for all the money people spent. She is now in newborn at 6 weeks old but don't expect her to be in it long is she keeps putting on almost 1lb a week. Hopefully 0-3 months will last a bit longer but the best stuff will be 3-6 months I guess.

Think of the baby snuggles mrsv

Naturegirl82 Sun 02-Feb-14 18:11:20

Good luck mrsv

Congratulations Frizz glad the first bus journey went well for you

I breastfed in public for the first time today. Went well and I don't think I flashed boob at anyone!! smile

BuntCadger Sun 02-Feb-14 18:17:26

Blue - what cloth have you gone for? I got some lovely pocket ones but the legs are gaping sad have to wait till his legs chubby up.

MrsVDB Sun 02-Feb-14 19:50:31

Well done nature smile

Can't believe your all putting away clothes already! Although I haven't bought much newborn as expecting a whopper

So got monitored again at 6.30 before 2nd lot of gel but having regular contractions measuring 60-100 every 4/ 5 mins or so so they won't give me 2nd load of gel sad have to either 'rest' or go into labour tonight then they'll start again tomorrow if nothing happens. Sent dh home as pain isn't bad at all. Need to bounce on ball but too tempting to lie down!!

On plus side the food here is really good and there's a menu!

TarkaTheOtter Sun 02-Feb-14 20:28:39

That's good news mrsv. Did they tell you how dilated you are? Hopefully you can avoid the drip.

TarkaTheOtter Sun 02-Feb-14 20:32:46

Ooh I might watch the Superbowl during night feeds tonight!

MrsVDB Sun 02-Feb-14 20:33:19

tarka she said there's no point in checking sad

Contractions are every 2 minutes now lasting about a minute. But still not overly painful. Should I say something or wait until they're stronger?

Felix90 Sun 02-Feb-14 20:53:29

MrsV if they are that long and close together id get them to check just in case. At least then you know how far along you are! When I was on the drip, MW wasn't going to check me as it had only been a couple of hours but then she decided to as she was putting the catheter in anyway and I was fully dilated shock DP has just gone back home for a shower and change of clothes as we told him it would be ages yet and we had to call him back in!

Felix90 Sun 02-Feb-14 20:53:47

Nature well done!

MrsVDB Sun 02-Feb-14 21:07:12

Wow that's scary felix!

I'm back on the monitor and shift change so probably getting examined after smile

Frizz1986 Sun 02-Feb-14 21:23:41

Well done nature

Hope things are moving quickly mrsv

tarka i plan to watch superbowl tonight. I try and watch it every year but get tired and go to bed as i normally have work the next day, but this year no work and i have to be up at night too. Dh will have to suffer with the tv being on while he sleeps.

MerryPops Sun 02-Feb-14 21:56:50

Hey all just a quick message to say Alexander arrived last night at 7.15 pm weighing 8lb 5oz. After 18 hour labour he got stuck at 9cm dilated, was back to back and meconium in waters so c-section for me. Not what I wanted with hubby's hand op in 3 weeks but the main thing is he is here safe. Apparently mw says tonight could be a night of a lot of feeding to make milk come in, dod you find this ladies?

Percypiglet Sun 02-Feb-14 22:13:06

Hello, we had to go back to hospital on Thurs due to significant weight loss issues. We got discharged today. Feels like day 1 in our house despite it being day 8, am feeling anxious about how the night will be. Am now expressing every 3 hours and doing formula top up. My nipples are cracked, bleeding and have scabby bits hanging off, they are hideous! I am going to keep going with the breast feeding/expressing as long as possible though, although did want to throw in the towel when I went to hospital just as my hormones went mad and had to be left on the ward without DH....

MrsVDB Sun 02-Feb-14 22:43:04

Congratulations merry sorry it didn't all go to plan but glad the outcome was good smile

So mw just examined me. Only about 1cm dilated and bishops score of 4 so although strong contractions every 2 min (doctor coming to see me as maybe contracting too much!) I've been told to get some rest and probably have more gel in the morning. Sounds like they expect contractions to die down over night and basically be back at square 1 tomorrow sad

TobyLerone Sun 02-Feb-14 22:52:12

Oh, how disappointing for you, MrsV sad

Congratulations, merry smile

DH is back at work tomorrow, so I've been downstairs with a screaming Meredith since about 9.30 so he can get to sleep. I don't mind, but I wish I could help her. Poor thing.

Need a hand to hold, ladies. Don't read if you are eating/squeamish.

I thought my UTI was back, loads of stingy pain when weeing and pain in lower belly.
Mw yesterday at clinic took a pee sample but said it would take 48 hours to get results.
Today it was worse so I rang labour ward. They were a bit more helpful, and spurred on by the prospect of getting more antibiotics, I decide to check that all is well down below, in case I had thrush or anything from last lot, and to look at stitches for first time.

Really really fucking wish I hadn't. My episiotomy has reopened, and is weeping and red and oh grim, just a hole with white pus in. It's so vile. I'm going to the GP first thing tomorrow, and I don't know why I'm so scared, but I am. It just looks like carnage down there, I've never seen such a mess.
Then I looked at my internal stitches from the tearing, as a comment the consultant had made had come back to me ('basically your vagina was like butter, hence the damage'). There are more stitches than I thought possible. All small and neat, but it's this awful long gash, there's just such a huge scar. I really didn't expect it. DH keeps asking if we should go to A&E and when I say no, asking to look at it, and I keep saying no (I am not squeamish in the least and I am horrified by it).
I don't even know why I'm posting, just need a hand/grip I guess.

MrsVDB Sun 02-Feb-14 23:16:52

Poor you humpty sounds awful. I agree about going to a&e if its really bad.

TobyLerone Sun 02-Feb-14 23:19:11

Oh, humpty, that sounds sore and scary for you sad
Definitely GP tomorrow. They'll have seen worse, I promise. And they'll sort you out. It's good that you looked. flowers

Frizz1986 Sun 02-Feb-14 23:20:12

humpty do you have any phone numbers for the hospital as if the episiotomy has opened then i doubt your gp can do much and it would be a hospital job so it might be worth going straight to the hospital so you can get sorted sooner.
Its good for you to look down there so you know what your body went through, i think its one of those understanding your body things tbh. I checked out my stitches and was glad i did so i could see what they had done to me. Its about being informed i guess.
Really hope that its a quick fix for you and we are here no matter how yucky things seem down there (remember we have talked about a lot of stuff on here)

Congrats merry but sorry it wasnt as planned, and yes night 2 is non stop feeding se be prepared. It is very much a 'thing'

percy sorry you had to go back in. I know how horrid it is going back and being away from dh. Aurelia lost 12% of her body weight over the first few days and then she lost another 30g when the mw came back to check that she had started putting it on. I was so upset and that led to her going in for her jaundice for the night.

mrsv got my fx that things dont slow down and they kick off big time for you.

toby thats very nice of you. I have told dh that the tv will be on in the bedroom tonight as the Superbowl is keeping me company during feeds. It sucks when you cant stop them crying. When the actual tears come it breaks my heart.

Frizz1986 Sun 02-Feb-14 23:24:53
TobyLerone Sun 02-Feb-14 23:32:09

Oh, well done, frizz. I hadn't realised we were so close.

DH is amazing, tbh, so I'm happy to let him sleep when I can. I wish I liked the Superbowl. Or the Superb Owl, as one of my fb friends is calling it grin

humpty are you still under mw care? If so, call them or labour ward. Someone might be able to come out to you.

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 02-Feb-14 23:35:11

humpty that sounds awful and you need anti-biotics asap, especially as you have pain in your lower belly which might indicate an infection in your uterus too. If you have a maternity triage service at your hospital phone them, if not call the post-natal ward.

Good luck MrsV

Congratulations Merry, yes by the second night they usually find their appetite smile

Congratulations fly, missed your post earlier.

Percy, hope it all gets a bit easier from now on. If they have breastfeeding clinics/groups near you they might be worth a visit for some extra support and camaraderie with other mums.

Thanks for new thread frizz

Frizz1986 Mon 03-Feb-14 00:43:03

And we're full!

This thread is not accepting new messages.