Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2014 Thread 16 - More babies arrive or we make delicious lasagnes whilst we wait

(1000 Posts)
enormouse Wed 15-Jan-14 11:27:18

Here you go - New thread! (Procrastinating wildly)

Mythreeknights Wed 15-Jan-14 16:38:22

Back from mw appt, wouldn't allow sweep as 39+6... So went for walk up hill then ate half a pineapple and now chilling with some tv.

Naturegirl82 Wed 15-Jan-14 17:00:34

Just had to take pooch to the vets. Her operation scar split open a little bit but but vet said not to worry. Glad I got it checked though (and no charge which was a bonus).

Do people think it is worth putting meals in the freezer? I hadn't bothered as dh does most all the cooking.

Highlight of my day, just found out I've had my latest academic paper accepted for publication whoop. grin

Glad the bp is down mrs. And I know your feeling about trying to get things sorted and put away. It's all I've been doing the past four weeks!

Naturegirl82 Wed 15-Jan-14 17:01:13

bunt I hope things progress for you soon

littleraysofsunshine Wed 15-Jan-14 17:03:12

I've seen the same midwife almost, I used to work with her and she's seem me in all three pregnancies so it's nice. The other midwives have been nice too though.

Wow freezing meals, I've been rubbish at that. I've jut been doing slow cooker meals which we eat but then have no freezer space to save. hmm

I am still having irregular BH's, very sore down below and just feeling very tired. Probably where I'm not use to having a rest and MIL has done my little girls nursery run the past two mornings so I've been sat not soon much. But still find myself doing something...

I'm due on 26th, got my 39wk check on Monday.

I've kind of gone downhill with my hormones today, was really chilled then I just keep thinking about everything and doubting that I'm ready physically and mentally really...

Hospital bag is done (to what I think?!) it's also the unknown if I'll actually make it to the hospital is the concern. And midwives have set me up for home birth if needed but want me to try get in as I bled with dd1

How are everyone else's hormones? And baby's movements??

MrsVDB Wed 15-Jan-14 17:03:20

How frustrating bunt but at least all of this 'practice' should make the main event quicker

Well done nature

I haven't got much room in freezer and live too close to lots of takeaways so not planning on bulk freezing. I freeze leftovers though so have a couple of portions if I'm desperate and run out of cereal

Thanks for the reassurance gobbo that does help. Well, after weeping copiously over my best friend, I pulled myself together and rang MLU for info. If I start induction, I can't use the unit even if I don't get so far as the drip, which sounds like bad news, but bizarrely has sort of sorted out my head, resolved some of th millions of questions! She also confirmed that all the things we've tried (sex, curry, walking, pineapple, clary sage, RLT, relaxing) are good. Then she offered me another sweep, and laughed like a drain when I practically bit her hand off and said '^YES PLEASE RIGHT NOW THANK YOU^'.
Went in an hour later, she was ace, really kind and talked me through induction, saying it's not strapped to a bed monitoring, and that the ward is nice. She did a v vigorous sweep, and asked if the student mw could try too, which obvs I said yes to grin. Student had never done an internal and was practically crying as she thought she was hurting me, despite me saying 'honestly I can barely feel it'! Bless her.

Walked home (check), having super spicy chilli beef for supper (check), and have bounced on ball, (check). Now relaxing (check), and will attempt to haul my elephantine bulk on top of DH later (check and LUCKY HIM emoticon). That way we've covered all the bases.

Also, I think I might be getting some ctx. Quite painful ones. Not holding my breath, and haven't told DH as don't want to get his hopes up, but we shall see.

Mememe post, sorry, hugs to those who need them, promise to be less self focused next time I post.

TobyLerone Wed 15-Jan-14 17:22:49

I hope you're more self-focused next time you post, Humpty, when you tell us in a few hours that you're contracting 3:10 and you're on your way to the MLU grin

BookTart Wed 15-Jan-14 17:27:48

Go humpty! (and go Mr Humpty too grin )

Felix90 Wed 15-Jan-14 17:28:58

Bunt and Humpty hope things start happening for you both soon!

Well done nature grin

We didn't freeze any meals as it was a bit too hectic with moving house then being induced early etc but we had a few ready meal type things in the fridge/freezer and easy stuff to eat which did really help in the first couple of weeks! I've also been living on cereal haha...

MrsVDB Wed 15-Jan-14 17:36:27

Good luck humpty sounds like your on a mission!

MrsVDB Wed 15-Jan-14 17:42:33

Advice needed please.

When I get braxton hicks (and what triage called mild contractions) my bump goes hard all over but mainly at the top

Over the last few days I've been getting very tight periody pains around the pubic bone and not a great deal higher. Are these contractions? They're not overly painful yet so not worried that anything much is happening, it's more I'm curious if this is how it will feel when it starts?

Naturegirl82 Wed 15-Jan-14 17:57:46

Oo mrsv no advice but that's exactly what mine are like. I've been having that for about a week now though

OnlyThePurpleOnes Wed 15-Jan-14 18:09:19

Yes Mrs. That's how it started for me last time. But then last time I went from 0 to 4 minutes apart straight from the off, which was much less confusing than this on/off business!!

TarkaTheOtter Wed 15-Jan-14 18:13:58

Congrats nature is it a good journal?

Good luck to all of those who might be starting labour soon. It's only been two weeks but I can't remember what early labour felt like. Period pain sounds plausible though.

I'm starting to feel slightly better and less feverish but my boob is still bright red and hard. Trying to decide if I can manage tomorrow. My mum has volunteered to take the day off work and help but as she's a teacher it's a big favour. Dh is annoying me by not even suggesting that he could take parental leave. He hates taking time off sick but even he would have to if he had this.

Frizz1986 Wed 15-Jan-14 18:38:03

Go humpty fx this is the start.

mrsv mine started as uncomfortable period pains and then got worse. They started to feel like they were beginning in my bum and moving towards my foof and bump (which would then go hard)
Mine were only like that for 12-24hrs before waters went so fx you are on your way.

I have frozen food in the freezer but after 3 weeks we havent used much of it. Is nice to know that we have food in there if needed.

Really hope things progress overnight for people. I think i read somewhere that a lot of people who go into natural labour start at night so fx......

Percypiglet Wed 15-Jan-14 18:54:08

Go Humpty and Bunt!

I've hit the tiredness wall today.....slept a lot last night and have also had a 2 hour nap this pm. I still feel tired though. The thought of potentially having another 2 weeks of pregnancy is overwhelming.

I've also eaten a big bar of dairy milk without meaning to i.e. should have saved some for DH, now I'll have to hide the wrapper

My pains have been periody cramps below the bump...they seems to have gone on holiday today though.

Go humpty!

Thank you all, you are all ACE. Xxxxxxx

Felix90 Wed 15-Jan-14 19:36:24

Tarka, mastitis sounds awful! Do you know what's caused it? Hope you're feeling better soon.

HabitualHobbyist Wed 15-Jan-14 20:54:36

Humpty if you're not too busy in labour, I've just pm'd you to be added to the Facebook group if that's ok. Thanks

TarkaTheOtter Wed 15-Jan-14 21:17:40

felix I'm almost certain my mastitis was caused by wearing too tight nursing vests as Alex has caused me no pain at all and feeds all the time. I was wearing the ones I bought with dd but I must have bought them once I was past the engorgement had passed as I think the cup size is too small. They were a bit uncomfortable but I ignored it as I remembered them being "supportive".
It's been really horrible - a bit like flu. It's probably made worse by the no sleep. I've been on the abs for 24hrs now and no longer feverish but the blockage is still there so not sure if it's really getting better.

MerryPops Wed 15-Jan-14 21:34:56

Checking in, hope I meet my little one on this thread!

Tarka fx your mastitis is on its way, really hoping the bras I have will be ok as it sounds horrendous you poor thing!

Humpty good luck with the baby evacuation, I'm sure Dh is more than happy to oblige! Good luck bunt too, sounds like one of you two might be next.

I am getting intermittent period pains and stabby foof but don't think its the build up to anything yet. Fashioned a replacement gym ball plug out of blu tack and sellotape so having a go on that each day along with the rlt. Dh just wants to try the duvet time method, of course. Think he is worrying about after baby is here when he will be nookie deprived (poor lamb!)

Hope everyone has a peaceful or contracty evening, depending on your preference!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 15-Jan-14 21:44:06

Go humpty! Go humpty!

tarka - hope the mastitis is recovering. sad

Well I'm 40+5 and had various pains, as per the last 4 days, but am sure that it will come to nothing as per usual so starting to try and reconcile myself with induction sad

Bluecarrot Wed 15-Jan-14 22:40:38

Hello smile

40+9 now and 3rd ( or 4th... I've lost count?) induction date tomorrow.
Can't remember if I already posted this on last thread but I'm Having regular tightenings - were 6-7 mins apart for 10 days and these were observed during monitoring at hospital, and 2-3 mins apart for last 24 hours. I haven't officially timed them, just glanced at the clock. No pain at all.
Curry, pineapple, walking, gym ball work etc but still nothing.

Need to try to sleep soon as early start fir induction appointment. Want to find out likelihood of success with just waters being broken before I agree to anything. Otherwise I'm asking for another 48 hours.

Glad to see a few seem to be on their way- good luck!

TarkaTheOtter Wed 15-Jan-14 23:04:33

Ooh good luck blue! I wonder how dilated you'll be after all these contractions! Maybe they'll have been doing more than you think!

This thread is not accepting new messages.