Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

February 2014 - all our bags are packed, we're ready to go...

(1000 Posts)
sunflowered Wed 01-Jan-14 20:19:20

Well... we're getting there at least, and definitely ready to meet the first thread baby!

Thisisfreakingmeout Wed 01-Jan-14 21:06:33

Marking place. Here's to the first thread babies!

Artisticme Wed 01-Jan-14 21:14:09

Yayy new threadsmile) thanks sun

Is anyone able to add me into the fb page please?

marzi yeah I'm getting dizzy all the time, and short of breath. Think it would be to do with my iron levels though but probably partly to do with baby getting bigger and reducing our breathing space in general! Crazy that our babes will still almost double I size before we give birth! How is it even possible to fit any more in?

On the hospital bag front, Iv not really started yet. Going to get a list sorted out this week and get purchasing I think. Ooo getting close girlies!!!!

Champagnebubble Wed 01-Jan-14 21:14:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LovesToBake Wed 01-Jan-14 21:21:42

Marzi I was meaning to ask you, what was in the hospital bag that your MIL put together for you in the end? <nosey>

Poppy954 Wed 01-Jan-14 21:24:12

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the hospital bag lists but don't forget change for hospital parking. It's worth packing enough change for at least two stays ( one when you go in and one when you get picked up) but probably more.

Champagnebubble Wed 01-Jan-14 21:27:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

misskatamari Wed 01-Jan-14 21:30:43

Yaaaaay new thread! And yaaaaay Sherlock - I didn't know it was on today so will watch tomorrow on catch up!

I need to do hospital bag sorting this week. Hopefully won't need it but I feel totally unprepared for going in if I need to so want to get one out together. By the sounds of it I need to buy some scratch mitts too as I hadn't even considered needing them!

Just done my spinning babies inversion move which involves kneeling on the sofa and dropping arms down on to the floor. Thank god DH was with me as my arms are so bloody weak after not exercising for 8 months that I can barely heft myself back up again! Expecting the delivery of my cotbed and birth pool tomorrow eeeek! And I want to attempt to try and sort some stuff in the nursery - around the piles of stuff that belongs downstairs that is living there till we get the new carpet!

marzipanned Wed 01-Jan-14 21:31:10

Loves grin Gorgeous jammies (probably shouldn't actually take those? Will I end up bleeding all over them?), slippers, a few practical toiletries (mini shampoo etc) and lots of very nice but totally impractical toiletries which I have squirrelled away for post-birth bliss. Bless her, she seems to have forgotten all about the bodily fluids side of things smile

Artistic good point about the lack of breathing space! Mine should be over 5lbs by now so hoping she doesn't quite double in size before birth...

misskatamari Wed 01-Jan-14 21:32:08

Oooh and hospital parking - I don't know if any of yours are similar but at ours you can get a maternity parking permit thing that is a tenner and lasts through pregnancy and to a month after birth. Definitely worth investing if they do them

marzipanned Wed 01-Jan-14 21:32:56

misskat re scratch mitts have a look at your babygros as a lot of them have them built in (they just look like cuffs on the sleeves but actually can fold over to make a little mitt)
Hope your inversions work a treat! When are you next seeing MW?

misskatamari Wed 01-Jan-14 21:33:12

Artistic if you pm me your email address I'll add you to the fb group when I'm on my laptop tomorrow

LemonDrizzleCake11 Wed 01-Jan-14 21:38:46

Marzipanned - dizzy quite a lot now... in fact embarassingly fainted with most inconvenient timing at work earlier this week which has made me decide to take my holiday now and start mat leave a bit earlier (as my job is really not one that you can be fainting in!) Since I'm not anaemic/my blood sugars are fine I think the dizziness is to do with baby being bigger and intermittently not letting blood flow around the way it usually does/should!

As for the nail varnish thing - the oxygen saturation probes docs pop on your fingers to check your blood oxygen levels if you're not very well/having an anaesthetic work by colour of blood through nail, so aren't always accurate/able to work if you have nail varnish on.

Sassy20 Wed 01-Jan-14 22:09:11

Marking place x

gnittinggnome Wed 01-Jan-14 22:28:05

jazzcat They will monitor your blood sugar levels every hour in labour, and if they go above 7mmol you'll be put on an insulin drip. This is because (I am told by my MW) the baby is still connected to you, and still ingesting amniotic fluid, so may produce too much insulin if there is too much sugar in its environment, which means it may come out hypoglyceamic, which is not so good. It's not a major panic/risk, I think, but still requires extra attention. I'm taking in oaty drops, which have been my chocolate substitute (basically an oat and nut flapjack bound with banana and no sugar), nuts and fresh fruit to eat, because hospital food just isn't going to cut it. But I was told on Monday at my GD appt not to bring in sugary drinks, like Lucozade, because that will tip me instantly over the edge, and I'll have less ability to move around if I'm attached to a drip...

Shrops the un-needed blood and stuff in the womb has to get out somehow! I don't think they'd do a D&C after a c-section, but if anyone knows for sure please chip in!

My hospital bag is sat by the front door with a list of last-minute stuff pinned to it, and there's a little bag for Bean as well... But I keep reading all your lists and adding more things to it! Wondering if I can put in a cool box for soda water during labour, given that everything in a cold vending machine will be unsuitable...

Artisticme Wed 01-Jan-14 22:29:47

misskat how do I pm you? Probably a stupid question but I only ever use my phone as OH takes the laptop to work with him 2 weeks at a timesad thankyousmile

misskatamari Wed 01-Jan-14 22:41:34

Eeek not sure I'm afraid artisticme - I know how to do it on computer but not sure on app hmm

Gnitting I've heard a lot of people recommending to take a bottle of frozen water so you can have chilled water when it melts

bugsyburge Wed 01-Jan-14 23:20:41

just marking my place smile

Artisticme Wed 01-Jan-14 23:40:40

Aw boo, may have to wait till OH is home from work for a few days and sneak on his laptopsmile

sunflowered Wed 01-Jan-14 23:59:27

Artistic - not sure if every version of the app is the same but when I open up there's a screen with home, I'm on, I'm watching, topics, etc. One of the icons is for a pm.

DawnOfTheDee Thu 02-Jan-14 00:19:31

Shrops I can confirm that you really do need maternity pads after a csection. I was bleeding/passing locia (sp) for a fair while after my emcs. A lot of it. Blurgh.

Btw the period like pains you get after giving birth are intense so don't be shy about taking/asking for painkillers if you're suffering. I remember thinking 'no-one told me about this bit!' when i was on the postnatal ward.

Scratch mits!!! Does anyone have any good recommendations of babygrows with these 'built in'? I've only got one or two and want to buy a couple more. Actual separate scratch mitts were next to useless...DD1 managed to get the first one off before you'd got the second one on. In the end I just left them off unless attached to the babygrow... <bad mother emoticon needed> blush

CubanoHabana Thu 02-Jan-14 01:14:44

Can't sleep! sad

DawnOfTheDee Thu 02-Jan-14 01:28:34

Me neither sad Apparently really really tired but not sleepy is my new 'thing'.

Shropshiremummy2B Thu 02-Jan-14 04:02:09

Ok, makes perfect sense re the bleeding/ c section thing. Twas a stupid question.

Very awake and thinking about what snacks to take into hospital is making me hungry. Luckily I have a banana by my bed which DH finds totes hilare. Pervert. I am the sort of person that will pack lots if different snacks but commeth the hour not fancy any of them. Fussy beggar.

Can't believe it's now officially the 2nd of Jan.... I am due in under a month! Don't want this to be over.

EeyoreIsh Thu 02-Jan-14 04:36:59

oooh, I'm due a month today, how very exciting!

I wish I had a snack by my bed. I'm starving. And baby still isn't moving much so I could do with a glass of juice and some toast. But getting up means getting past my parent's crazy dog!

KalevalaForMePlease Thu 02-Jan-14 05:18:16

Marking place on new thread! I'm not due till 22nd February so lots of other births to sit through before mine, hopefully! Haven't even started thinking about hospital bag, must get that sorted. Thanks for all the helpful lists, you'd think I'd remember from last time, but no.

This thread is not accepting new messages.