Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

February 2014 - all our bags are packed, we're ready to go...

(1000 Posts)
sunflowered Wed 01-Jan-14 20:19:20

Well... we're getting there at least, and definitely ready to meet the first thread baby!

lastnightopenedmyeyes Wed 01-Jan-14 20:22:49

I filled up the last thread by mistake!! I wanted to add that when you take your pillow in, use a distinctive pillowcase so yours doesn't go astray!! grin

laura0007 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:23:09

Well my bag isn't yet....baby's bag is but mine not so much! Thanks for new thread sunflowered!

LittlePandaBear Wed 01-Jan-14 20:23:09

My bag isn't packed! I'm not ready to go!

CubanoHabana Wed 01-Jan-14 20:23:46

Baby back packed - stuff for me is in a drawer... Hmmm, not sure if I have packed too many baby clothes - 4 vests and 4 sleep suits, cardie, mittens, hats, socks...

jazzcat28 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:24:41

Marking place on shiney new thread which will hopefully be blessed with a baby from one of us soon - eeeeekk!!!

DawnOfTheDee Wed 01-Jan-14 20:27:59

Who asked about milestones now Christmas/NYE are over? I think this thread starting is a definite one i.e. the one where there will actually be some BABIES on it....eek!

Ta for the new thread sunflowered smile

Fwiw I was told to bring pillows but forgot and there was never any shortage. I think it's a bit weird really.....can you imagine going into hospital for anything else and being told to bring bedding and/or pillows?

I haven't packed my bag yet....really need to get a move on. Will attempt a trip into town though this week i think so can pick up last bits and pieces then.

Champagnebubble Wed 01-Jan-14 20:29:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Champagnebubble Wed 01-Jan-14 20:31:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

marzipanned Wed 01-Jan-14 20:32:16

Nope, bag not packed here either! (Not fully packed anyway - I have the bag my MIL did for me for Xmas but need to add all the functional bits smile ) Baby not allowed to arrive for at least another fortnight as dissertation due!

Re nail varnish - it's so they can check your blood flow if you're under anaesthetic - they press the nail down and see how quickly blood returns. So clear would presumably be fine...

I must say it felt brilliant not to be hungover today. A swift puke this morning but nothing compared to previous January 1sts!!

lastnightopenedmyeyes Wed 01-Jan-14 20:34:09

I have a lovely luxurious pillow and I found it really comforting to have with me. Not so much during labour but for the 3 night stay afterwards. It smelled of home and was lovely and soft (the hospital ones are very basic!!)

marzipanned Wed 01-Jan-14 20:34:17

Champs that is SO bizarre. Though I am a bit funny about taking anything personal into hospital. When my Mum was in when I was little, I gave her one of my stuffed toys to remind her of home...and someone stole it!! Just...what goes through people's heads?!

sunflowered Wed 01-Jan-14 20:35:40

dawn that's what I thought about the moses basket sheets on the last thread - do some hosps just leave babies on inpatient wards to sleep on blue tissue paper? They must be able to stretch to sheets for newborns too <slopes off to check the lists of local nhs savings plans that I might or might not be able to read through work>

I should add that my bag isn't +actually+ packed... but reading all your lists makes me feel like I'm ready to go grin (that and the arse, feet and knees that have been wedged under my ribs all day. I know they're better than a head being up there but they hurt and I would like them out) (please)

marzipanned Wed 01-Jan-14 20:36:00

Btw - has anyone else been having slightly dizzy periods? Not of the passing out variety but of the - everything looks a bit out of sync and far away variety. Am assuming it's just because blood is having to travel round a lot more body atm.

Unplastered Wed 01-Jan-14 20:37:54

My bag is nowhere near packed! In fact I don't even have a bag to pack! That's the only issue with going on holiday in a touring caravan - no holdalls or suitcases chez Unplastered :-) the only things I do have are rucksacks - not sure my 90 litre Vango is all that appropriate for the labour ward though.

Totally not baby related but - Sherlock's back in twenty minutes!! Finally I get to find out how he faked his own death.

Poppy954 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:42:14

The last thread lasted over a month so it is an almost certainty we will have some babies on this one. So agree dawn this is another milestone!

EeyoreIsh Wed 01-Jan-14 20:47:14

oooh, this will be the thread with babies on! grin grin grin

I've packed one bag, with the key essentials in. I need to add to it with things like nighties, dressing gown etc.

I plan to have a list on top of the bag for last minute additions, like pillow, going home clothes etc.

Baby has been quiet all day and no movement in the last hour or so. I will have to eat some cake to get it going!

LittlePandaBear Wed 01-Jan-14 20:50:26

I recommend taking a nursing pillow with you - much easier to get baby in the right position for feeding (although I'm hardly the expert at breastfeeing but it would have been even more difficult without it). Especially after a section - I couldn't bend my middle to reach baby so was much better using the pillow to get her up closer to me.

I have a feeling this thread will move quicker than the last one as we're getting closer, more people on mat leave and more things for us to worry and speculate about! So there may not be many babies on this thread after all!

LovesToBake Wed 01-Jan-14 20:50:48

Agree with Dawn and Poppy - this new thread is a massive milestone and I will be hooked waiting for the news of the first birth which could easily be in the next week, so exciting!

I second the excellent advice about breast pads from Poppy and Thingy. I had a major oversupply issue and found breast shells a godsend and similarly got into the habit of freezing the excess that was collected from the side I wasn't feeding from during a feed. Saying that, once I stopped bf I ended up chucking out almost a whole drawer full of little bags of frozen milk because it all just became a bit of a faff. Determined to steer clear of the pump as long as possible this time - I was given so much mixed and poor advice last time and one thing I learnt is that if you've got an oversupply issue, using a pump 'to help empty the breast' is the worst advice ever as it just encourages the body to keep overproducing. Agreed that in the early months when you're not in an established feeding pattern and leakage is more likely, the Lansinoh pads are definitely the best. Later on, I switched to the washables which were good but only once supply had settled down.

Feeling thoroughly confused by what day of the week it is tonight. Feels like a Sunday night - DH off to work tomorrow but then only two days until the weekend. Will actually be quite glad when next Monday comes around and I know where I am!

LittlePandaBear Wed 01-Jan-14 20:51:08

I don't know what breastfeeing is either, sounds dodgy, but I'm not an expert at that either.

CubanoHabana Wed 01-Jan-14 20:53:36

Yay to Sherlock!

winterflowers Wed 01-Jan-14 20:54:04

We're having babies next month! And probably some.of us this month also we'd best get a wiggle on with the bags. grin

EeyoreIsh Wed 01-Jan-14 20:54:46

I really want my baby this month! Once I've gone past 38 weeks though..

sunflowered Wed 01-Jan-14 20:59:24

Dh is rather pleased with himself that on the 'which sherlock character are you' quiz he came out as Sherlock and I came out as Watson...

Unplastered I think the mws would prefer a 90l backpack to some of what they get on labour ward!

Shropshiremummy2B Wed 01-Jan-14 21:00:01

sugarmice why do you need maternity pads if you're having a c section? Is that a stupid question? I assumed that if you weren't passing a human through your fouff that there would be no change down there?

This thread is not accepting new messages.