Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Jan 2014 THREAD 14 -- This will be the lucky one!

(1000 Posts)
TobyLerone Wed 18-Dec-13 06:11:13

We got Thread 13 out of the way without too many mishaps. Phew!

Now it's time to sit on our arses eating entire Chocolate Oranges really get to work on getting some more of these babies out.

Felix90 Wed 18-Dec-13 11:32:41

Enormouse I need pudding socks for me, never mind baby! OH keeps going on about various Christmassy outfits so I reckon he will end up rushing out on Christmas Eve and buying something ridiculous grin ahhh I'm so excited now I'm over the initial shock!

Felix90 Wed 18-Dec-13 11:33:24

Gummi what is this peanut butter snowman you speak of?! I am SO passionate about peanut butter!

GummiBear74 Wed 18-Dec-13 11:42:34

felix, I don't know exactly what it is (tesco website quite useless in that respect), but I LOVE anything Reese's peanut butter cup related, so it must be good!

I'm heading over to tesco as soon as they email to tell me that my delivery has arrived. I'll scour the shelves when I'm there to see whether I can find some & report back later!

MrsGSR Wed 18-Dec-13 12:12:06

That's so exciting Felix, and so soon!

Slightly annoyed with DH today. It's his last day of work before Christmas leave and has to go out for a compulsory pint (or 5) after work, so I'll be driving us down to Devon this evening. He's left me the car so I can pack it and go to my midwife appointment later, and then pick him up. Except he hasn't left me the car key angry. AND he slept in the middle of the bed most of last night, which left me right on the edge. He's a really bad passenger too, so I might kill him at some point of the 4 hour drive!

enormouse Wed 18-Dec-13 12:13:17

Oh God, just got another text from my lovely lecturer. Asking what decision I've made regarding ucas. I replied that owing to new information regarding coursework deadlines I received yesterday I won't be applying this year. She said that this was the decision she hoped I'd make. Yeah, the one I felt pushed into. I can actually feel my blood pressure rising angry. Just when I felt like I had come to terms with my decision.

She wants to see me at some point, but after the holidays is fine.

Ds is also being difficult. Climbing on chairs and pulling my clean laundry onto the floor repeatedly.

I could really do with a cup of tea and an emergency chocolate orange. Thanks btw gummi I'll pick up a few of those whilst I'm out tomorrow.

felix I want them too! May check whether they do adult sizes.

DS has clambered onto my lap to give me a cuddle. Bless him, he's so cute I can't stay angry at him

TobyLerone Wed 18-Dec-13 13:10:57

Oooh, felix. I am envy that you'll have your baby before Christmas!

MrsVDB Wed 18-Dec-13 13:15:38

Ooh felix how exciting!!!!

extracrunchy Wed 18-Dec-13 13:23:41

Felix that is SO EXCITING!! grin
Also i think in the circumstances you definitely need Ben&Jerry's peanut butter cup ice cream with your peanut butter chocolate.

Reflexology this morning was bizarre, slightly uncomfortable (not painful) and at the same time relaxing. She came to my house, which felt very luxurious!

Got MIL coming on an open ticket for a few nights this evening and DH hasn't lifted a finger to make the flat nice so I'll be doing that this afternoon, and then hopefully can relax and have a baby with brilliant toddler sitter in residence!

extracrunchy Wed 18-Dec-13 13:24:24

Enormouse your lecturer sounds like a DOUCHE. Douche is my current favourite word.

GummiBear74 Wed 18-Dec-13 13:25:24

I am jealous of those who'll have babies with them before Christmas, especially because of the desperately cute clothes I've seen. However, I won't be 37 w until Christmas Eve, so baby is under strict instructions to stay put until Jan 1st at the earliest.

(However, no doubt she'll take after her dad, completely ignore everything I say and appear when she jolly well feels like it fgrin)

GummiBear74 Wed 18-Dec-13 13:26:33

And I agree with extra. DOUCHE!

Mythreeknights Wed 18-Dec-13 13:56:46

Felix waaaah that is exciting smile

Well, mw has just called back in a complete flap about me wanting a home birth kit (I don't 'want' a home birth but I do want to be prepared in case it happens really quickly and actually part of me would be quite impressed if I did it at home). Anyhow, she acquiesed and is going to get the kit delivered - and I can go into hospital if I want at any time, it's not a binding contract.

Also have 38 week check organised at a different clinic so feeling calmer now. And breathe. And SQUEEZE.

What is everyone's choice of pain relief on the birth plan? Just trying to write mine now and feel out of depth. (Clearly mine will just have to be G&A...).

BookTart Wed 18-Dec-13 14:04:19

I'm pleased that's all sorted out mythree. Pain relief-wise, my plan says Tens machine & G&A (I read that as G&T in your post grin) I'm totally open minded about pethidine, but can't have an epidural without being transferred from the MLU to the labour ward. I'll do it if it feels necessary though.

MrsG, I think you could get away with killing him at the start of the drive tbh.

enormouse Wed 18-Dec-13 14:15:37

Oh thanks guys. Definitely, a douche of the highest order.
Dp came home unexpectedly early (schoolkids aren't doing much at the moment) and has told me to relax, enjoy Christmas and he'll order a Chinese tonight. He's finished for the holidays and is insisting I do nothing from here on in. I could get used to this. fsmile

mythree I saw your mw stresses on the other thread, glad you've got something sorted out. I had gas and air only with DS but I had an all inclusive attitude to pain relief (basically anything is fine if I felt I needed it). This time around I have a little more faith in myself to cope and would like to aim for gas and air again. I'd like to try a tens machine as well.

gummi fgrin I'm instructing babymouse to do the same. I doubt he'll listen though.

extra maybe itll kick things off? Sounds like you've got a relaxing day planned.

Felix90 Wed 18-Dec-13 14:22:17

How desperately do I need a birth plan because I haven't even written one! I was sort of just going to go with the flow and see what happens. I'm clued up about all the different pain relief from my NCT class but should I physically write stuff down? I don't really have a preference and obviously would like to do it with just gas and air but I'm open to everything else if it comes to it, so I don't really have a set plan...

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 18-Dec-13 14:52:00

HFelix how exciting, you will be home with baby for Christmas smile

extra I went into labour with dd2 the day after my mum arrived. I think I was finally able to relax as I knew dd1 would be cared for. I hope the same happens for you.

That is a long recovery toby, I hope you can get the decorating finished soon so you can relax a bit.

enormouse your lecturer is a piece of work angry

mythree glad you are getting your kit, sounds very sensible to me given the season.

Still up on labour ward awaiting doc rounds to be sent back to antenatal. I have at least had lunch, but now have 3 bloody cannulas in my arms which are pissing me off. Two don't even work, but no one has come to remove them yet grrr.

quackojuliet Wed 18-Dec-13 14:52:45

up to you and your DP, felix. it might make it easier for your DP if he needs to make any decisions for you? or at least make sure you have considered certain things you do or don't want - writing it out cements it in your mind.
though i hear they are often not looked at, it might be good to have one in case...
although i imagine with your induction news you've probably just added loads to your to-do list! a baby this weekend! wow

extracrunchy Wed 18-Dec-13 14:58:11

Felix I'm with Quacko on the birth plan - probably not entirely necessary for you, but good for your birth partner to have in writing exactly what you'd prefer if you're not able to communicate coherently when you're off your face on gas and air! I also found it weirdly reassuring to print off the NHS questions and go through them.

Another that sounds great re arrival of mum - hope you're right smile

Mythreeknights Wed 18-Dec-13 15:02:57

I've just watched some youtube videos of home births....OMFG. I had no idea that the whole fanny bulges out with the baby's head and then your fanny splits open and the baby bursts out. I cried with each video. And then I finished off the chocolate orange.

Mythreeknights Wed 18-Dec-13 15:03:53

Defnitely putting G&T on my birth plan now fgrin book

MrsRApilot Wed 18-Dec-13 15:10:43

felix that is so exciting!!! Another squishy baby will be here before the week is out grin

extracrunchy Wed 18-Dec-13 15:12:37

Mythree stoppit.

Felix90 Wed 18-Dec-13 15:14:29

Haha Mythree that's the most hilarious/grossest post I've read on here!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will collar OH when he gets home from work and tell him we need to write out a vague birth plan, just in case smile

enormouse Wed 18-Dec-13 15:49:36

mythree tis the miracle of life…beautiful isn't it? [Boak emoticon]

another hugs. Will you have to stay overnight?

felix I agree with extra and quacko. It's a good way of making sure your birth partner is well aware of what you want and can be your voice.
Even if they stick to the plan rigidly without deviating. Yes DP I'm looking at you. hmm
'But on the plan that the saner you made, it says start with gas and air'.
'Yes, but I want a fucking epidural now!'
'But the plan says that you want gas and air first. I'm going with sane you'
'FUCKING epidural, NOW!'
'But the plan says…' - ad infinitum for hours. In the end I progressed too quickly to have an epidural. But how I wanted to murder him at the time.

Make absolutely sure your partner knows you might change your mind. I'm writing in capital letters, I want to be flexible.

Sultanajo Wed 18-Dec-13 15:56:13

mythree that's bollocks! Would definitely call the hospital. My midwife is seeing me Xmas eve at the hospital at 39 + 4. Grrr! Hope you get things sorted.

Oh Toby 6 weeks is a long time! What a fecker! Have you got anyone who can go to Pinkberry for you for emergency supplies?

Well I am truly amazed! Just been out shopping (possibly the last time I do given the painful waddling that went on) and not one, but TWO blokes moved out of my way! Am clearly looking very preggers now! The first guy couldn't have been more than 22 and looked positively scared when he saw me moving towards him! Lol! The second was an older gent who massively apologised after we did that awkward "both move one way and then both move the other" polite dance!

Bump has definitely dropped as I can no longer sit comfortably with legs at a right angle to me, as bump gets squished by the tops of my thighs! Sitting on the toilet is annoying now, have had to finally admit defeat when it comes to trying to have a bath and I also cant comfortably sit with my legs up on the sofa. Am really hoping this all means bubs is getting ready to make his grand entrance...!

This thread is not accepting new messages.