Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

February 2014 - We've got big bumps and we cannot lie...

(1000 Posts)
DawnOfTheDee Fri 29-Nov-13 19:44:41

You other mothers can't deny,
When a girl walks in with an ever expanding waist
And a round thing in your face
You....'d better give her some cake....

etc, etc,

New thread! Enjoy!

lastnightopenedmyeyes Wed 01-Jan-14 20:12:51

Sunflowered. I found reusable breast pads always leaked for me, every brand I tried leaked. I was forced to use the Lansinoh ones, they were the only reliable pads for me.

Champagnebubble Wed 01-Jan-14 20:09:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Poppy954 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:09:10

I would recommend disposable breast pads at first when you are likely to leak more and move on to washable once your supply settles down a bit. I have shellac on my fingers and painted toes. I have never been told not to have nail varnish on and don't remember having them checked previously!

LittlePandaBear Wed 01-Jan-14 20:03:02

I've heard that too Jazz - no varnish on fingers or toes so they can see if your nails go blue or something!

Why do the lists not include make up - I will need some before the pics are taken after birth! But can't wear make up during the section so no early pics of me (vain emoticon)

LittlePandaBear Wed 01-Jan-14 19:59:10

Champagne - your hospital bag list is so much more friendly than mine, even thinking about the Dad and bringing music. Mine was like 'bring knickers and bras'. Well duh!

jazzcat28 Wed 01-Jan-14 19:58:44

Thanks for the tips on the aforementioned piles problem. I'm still ok going to the loo so perhaps I haven't got them too bad. Will adjust diet to help anyway and look into preggo-friendly creams in the pharmacy at the weekend.

On hospital bag info, my hospital has a list on their NHS website page which is quite short.

For mum:
Something old to give birth in (if wanted).
Night clothes - front opening if breastfeeding.
Day clothes Make sure they are comfortable; remember you will not be back into size 10 jeans just yet!
Nursing Bra - If breastfeeding.
Breast pads- even if you are not planning to breastfeed you may need these (Only about 10)
Dressing gown - Lightweight, so you don’t roast!
Slippers - Make sure they are easy to slip on because your feet may be swollen.
Sanitary pads 1 pack, maximum absorbency.
Knickers - Big and old, because you won’t want to keep them! Or you can buy disposable ones, a size larger than normal for comfort.
Toiletries - Flannel & soap, Deodorant, Toothpaste/toothbrush, Hairbrush
Bath towel (although we do have hospital towels)
Coins for the telephone/money for Patientline and essentials.
Drinks & snacks - You will be encouraged to drink plenty of fluids and you may be hungry between meals, particularly if breastfeeding.
Pen - For notes
Pillow - There are a limited number in the hospital
Distractions such as newspapers, magazines, games, radio, or ipod (battery operated)

For baby:
Cotton wool - Small pack
Baby bath towel -Bath towel for baby’s use only. Never use your baby towel for anyone else.
Clothes - 2 babygros or nighties
2 vests & 2 pairs of mittens
Socks
1 hat & 2 cardigans/matinee jackets (depending on time of year)
10 newborn nappies

So interestingly no mention of sheets for baby, top/tail bowl, blankets. But my hospital do want me to bring a pillow (must remember this) and a towel for baby.

Snacks wise I'm wondering whether the GD is out of the window and sweets/chocs are allowed during labour?! I mean, what harm will a few hours of sugar rush do by that point?

I also read somewhere that fingernails shouldn't have any nail varnish on as they check the colour of your fingernails after any drugs/anaesthetic - so don't spend a fortune on a manicure while on ML! This could be a myth though..

LittlePandaBear Wed 01-Jan-14 19:57:40

Pregnancy and birth is so unglamourous, urgh! It's all pads and leaking fluids from everywhere grin

Just filling up the thread, don't want the responsibility of choosing the title for the next one though!

Unplastered Wed 01-Jan-14 19:55:30

9 posts to go... Who's going to start a new thread?

CubanoHabana Wed 01-Jan-14 19:55:17

Nearly a new thread! Hopefully the thread with the babies!

Thingymajigs Wed 01-Jan-14 19:29:03

I used lots of breast pads when bf ds2 due to oversupply so I'm trying washable versions this time. I've bought some Nature Babies pads from Amazon which had Ok reviews compared to others. They seem really big though, they take up the whole cup but I don't think that'll cause any problems. Obviously they haven't been tested out yet so I can't say if they work well or not.
One thing I can definitely recommend if you intend on breastfeeding are milk collection shells or breast shells. When he fed from one side the other side would leak at the same rate so pads were useless. I got into the routine of putting a sterile shell on the side he wasn't feeding on and afterwards I froze the collected milk or you can just pour it away (no sterilising needed if you throw it.)
The nursery is starting to take shape. smile It's funny how a pair of curtains can make such a difference. It is feeling very real and close all of a sudden, especially since I'm feeling a lot of pressure and BH contractions today. I had this a lot with ds2 though so I don't think it means anything.

sunflowered Wed 01-Jan-14 19:10:58

Oooooh jelly babies. Forget hospital bag, I wonder if dh will go out in the rain to get me some now?

I'm already starting to wake up with little leak marks on my old lady maternity nightie so think I'll need to be prepared with a few breast pads...

winterflowers Wed 01-Jan-14 19:01:44

Thanks about the top and tail advice! Makes lots of sense smile

champs your mw sounds amazing, anyone that advises jelly babies wins in my book.

Champagnebubble Wed 01-Jan-14 18:55:33

Champagnebubble Wed 01-Jan-14 18:53:34

Champagnebubble Wed 01-Jan-14 18:51:05

misskatamari Wed 01-Jan-14 18:48:23

I'm definitely not getting a top and tail bowl as I know I'll never use it at home so deffo gonna go for the Tupperware option. Ooooh I'm interested in the reusable breast pads too - no recommendations but if my boobs are anything to go by now I'll definitely be getting through them! Lol

Champagnebubble Wed 01-Jan-14 18:47:23

EeyoreIsh Wed 01-Jan-14 18:33:55

3000 shock that's a lot! surely that's based on feeding for two years? Do they get changed at every feed?

I don't think I've had anything from hospital on what I need to take in with me. I wasn't planning on buying a top and tail bowl for home, let alone hospital.

I'm going a bit stir crazy today, the weather has been awful all day. We might venture to the pub soon, if I can get off the sofa grin

sunflowered Wed 01-Jan-14 18:29:39

In the interests of filling up the last few posts...

Has anyone out there used washable breast pads, and if you have, which brand(s) would you recommend? Haven't read great reviews online but the thought of getting through 3000 disposables (another online figure!) is quite scary.

SugarMiceInTheRain Wed 01-Jan-14 18:11:54

When did they start making sanitary towels scented?? shock It's been a while, what with my really irregular/ absent periods pre-conception! Will check out maternity towels more closely then.

Unless you are in hospital for a long time, no need to bath the baby there - I was in a few days and a bit of cotton wool and warm water to wipe with was sufficient til we got home. Top and tail bowls are a pointless waste of money IMO. If in doubt bring in a little tupperware-style bowl to fill with warm water and clean the baby's face, neck etc. confused as to why you'd need anything more in hospital, and certainly at home there's no need for a top/tail bowl.

Cubano my lady bits are in a state I'm sure. Don't know how bad as DH has no interest in going near grin But will be attempting to neaten things up as soon as everyone's out from under my feet. Roll on DH going back to work and the DC going back to school! grin

sunflowered Wed 01-Jan-14 17:42:07

winter I don't plan on using special top and tail bowls at home so wouldn't have anything to take to hospital. My plastic-jug-for-pouring-while-peeing might have to double up if they insist babies can't be bathed in just a baby bath these days. Hope that doesn't make me a bad mother to be blush

CubanoHabana Wed 01-Jan-14 16:57:10

Shaving lady bits - sneaked hubby's electric razor today and attempted a neaten ing up, not altogether successfully! But from what I can see / feel it is a bit better. Going to book in for a wax once on mat leave...

winterflowers Wed 01-Jan-14 16:53:39

Thanks kavela will definitely try that. It had been unpleasant before but this is a new level!

I've never heard.of an iron drip before either, but I guess it will be a quick way to boost your levels so may be worth it if they think they are that low.

Was interested to see that on the link they say y I u have to take a top and tail bath for use in hospital... would not have expected that at all. Actually I wasn't even sure about getting one, was going to go with one of those foam support things. What would experienced mummies suggest?

Second misskat in seeing id you can get the tens machine in store, I'd tried to click and collect, it hadn't worked, but they had it on the shelf anyway. Must remember to call up and book it now though...

Unplastered Wed 01-Jan-14 16:18:15

Seconding Dawn. Most sanitary towels are scented which can irritate sore skin, and then plastic coverings can stick to stitches. I wanted every bit of extra padding after having Dd, despite hating the feeling of wearing even super thin pads normally.

We really should have a nice shiny NewYear thread before the end of today - get posting ladies!

DawnOfTheDee Wed 01-Jan-14 14:22:23

On the hospital bag theme please don't use sanitary towels instead of maternity towels. Sanitary towels can mask infection and although the maternity ones are huge they are much more cushioned which is nice for your bits!

This thread is not accepting new messages.