Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

June 2014 thread 5: 12-wk scans and leaving the 1st tri behind!

(1000 Posts)
wispaxmas Mon 25-Nov-13 20:13:35

Thought I'd get us started smile

InTheBEEwitchedWinter Thu 12-Dec-13 15:36:06

Yes, they charge, it depends how many hours your course is and it what area it is! It's all on their webpage.

www.nct.org.uk/courses/course-prices

mylittlel Thu 12-Dec-13 15:27:15

Thank you,Mitchell2. Do you have to pay for these NCT courses, ladies?

GillyBillyWilly Thu 12-Dec-13 15:24:12
GillyBillyWilly Thu 12-Dec-13 15:23:36
Mitchell2 Thu 12-Dec-13 15:14:18

welcome mylittlel

Mitchell2 Thu 12-Dec-13 15:13:41

Riblet I was on the fence as I heard that the content isn't that great but I recently spoke to one of my friends who has just had a baby and she said I would be crazy not to go as its a great way to meet people in the area in the same position as you. She said she would have found it really isolating if she had of missed out as she knows not many people in the area, and its her first. Also she said that although she didn't learn much her DP who didn't really read up on anything had a crash course on it all!

Riblet Thu 12-Dec-13 14:41:02

After reading this earlier I've been looking at buggies - my head is swimming and am losing track of what's what, plus I know DH will say 'you decide', grr! Good to hear the baby jogger is good Misshoo - been looking at the city mini double, looks good especially with carrycot. Will need to make some notes and measure doorways and boot space * cries at amount of choice even though that's not a bad thing *

Also good to hear opinions on NCT Misshoo - am on the verge of signing up for a course, mainly to meet other parents, but have heard mixed reviews. We may be better going elsewhere for something more twin-orientated but the hospital classes may well do that and I said, I'm in in for the friends! Anyone else have any views on NCT classes?

mylittlel Thu 12-Dec-13 14:37:38

Hello ladies, im due on 20 th June, even thought i still think it will be slightly later than that)) we havent decided yet what pram we going to buy, especially with all grandparents-to-be who desperately want to buy us something) anyone under consultant care?

misshoohaa Thu 12-Dec-13 13:54:16

Inthebeewitching - NCT is so worthwhile, the info is helpful but the friends you make is the best bit. From DS we still keep in contact with everyone xx

misshoohaa Thu 12-Dec-13 13:50:53

Title suggestions: Puking into the second trimester? (Well I certainly am!)

Good luck Emmz with the scan, 6 days till mine, it's a 8:30am - that is not a good time to try and drink 2 pints if water!

Re buggies: not a running one but we have the baby jogger city mini (with the bassinet) and its amazing! A lot of my friends started with bugaboo's and quinnys but soon swapped to a cheap maclaren as they were quite bulky.

We have had our baby jogger the whole time and its fantastic, so simple to fold, great for holidays and turns easily. Such fun buggy shopping, I did contemplate the baby jogger city select but DS will be 3 when baby comes so I don't think I can justify a new double!

MarlenaGru Thu 12-Dec-13 13:07:28

We used ours a lot but as we only got it when DD was nearly 2. At that age her attention span for sitting in a pram was about an hour so we managed about 10km. It is actually quite easy to run with. We are both short arses though so can't comment on the height but you really just need to touch it unless going up hill and it runs ahead of you. A great piece of equipment and we will almost certainly get another this time!

InTheBEEwitchedWinter Thu 12-Dec-13 13:02:17

Just sent an email to the NCT about their antenatal course - I work every alternate Saturday so I'd have to see whether work is flexible enough to let me go. I'm a bit unsure about it but I'd love to do a course with my DH so this sounds like the best option.

My hospital offers 'parentcraft' classes, but I haven't heard about when they start yet.

noseymcposey Thu 12-Dec-13 12:50:39

Congratulations to you and your DH bumblebee! That fantastic news. I've been there with those sorts of worries, and it's exhausting - so pleased that it had a good outcome. Your DH must have done fabulously!

We're getting to the end of the thread... any ideas for the next title?!

summerbaby2014 Thu 12-Dec-13 12:32:45

Marlena- good tip. I'll also be looking for a running pram. How far do you run with yours? I'm v tall, about 6ft so I'll need a long handled one to be able to run comfortably.(if that exists) DH is keen to use it too and we're the same height

Riblet Thu 12-Dec-13 12:18:47

Great news on the positive scans and good luck with theirs today smile

Sussex - the course of classes I have signed up for is an 'antenatal exercise and lifestyle course' - apparently it includes pelvic floor and stomach and back exercises, diet and healthy lifestyle advice, workouts to do at home and information for after the birth. It runs for 6 weeks and most importantly to me, is free and is classes as antenatal so I'll get time off work to attend!

Interesting discussion about bags and buggies/prams. I have had a quick look but not researched anything properly yet. I love buying stuff but since I'm on an ongoing minimalist decluttering mission (I know I know, good luck when we have 2 babies in the house!) and need to spend as little as possible due to doubling up and the fact that I'm unlikely to go back to work, it's going to be a case of make do where possible, second hand stuff and hand me downs. Thanks Hackney for the changing bag advice and Bumblebee about Preloved - hadn't thought of looking on there.

Hope everyone else is well?

MarlenaGru Thu 12-Dec-13 12:10:31

I can really recommend pushing your pram around with something in it (heavy bag?) with one hand. The difference between my bugaboo bee and my cheap stroller is unbelievable. Bee can turn with one hand, bump up pavements no problem and steer it with a bag, coffee or child in one hand so easily. The number of times DD wanted to be fed while we had to go somewhere which meant holding her and pushing one- handed!

A friend had the Quinny and hated it! Several
Punctures and it was enormous. I can't see myself justifying a new pram but might give preloved a go! Thanks bumbleebee

Oh and running prams - the baby jogger performance pro is the only decent one. They are impossible to find second hand but if you buy new they sell so easily! I gt more than I paid for mine 2 years on!

kittygirl33 Thu 12-Dec-13 12:07:04

Hi everyone, just catching up with the thread, wow, so much is happening! Best of luck to everyone with scans coming up, fingers crossed it's all good news.
Is anyone else thinking about buying a second pram? We could afford to buy everything new if we wanted, but we're trying to be careful with money as we really want to move house next year and some of the prams/systems are so expensive. I'm also worried that we'll end up picking a pram that is rubbish or that we hate! I just felt a wee bit funny about buying second hand, this is our first baby so it's very, very hard not to get carried away and buy everything and anything!

Vickyvix Thu 12-Dec-13 11:56:41

Fantastic news bumblebee a big well done to your DH!

panic hope your results were good news, I have my fingers crossed for you

I'm going to have to look into prams now with all of this talk, it seems like the choice won't be easy.

InTheBEEwitchedWinter Thu 12-Dec-13 11:26:51

emma Good luck for your scan!

bumblebee Yay, congratulations to your husband for getting the job!!!

panic Hope you have your results by now and it's all good news!

Prams, oh prams - I went on the Which site (our library has an online subscription) and it wasn't much help. Originally I LOVED the iCandy Peach Jogger but their customer service seems to be spectacularly rubbish. I like the Babystyle Oyster but I tried it out and there was just no comparison with the iCandy and the Bugaboo.
I'm going to get the Cosatto Supa as a stroller, I do love the Giggle but it has mixed reviews. If you look on their Facebook page, they have really lovely new colours coming out next year!

I feel rotten today - bah. Only managed to crawl out of bed 40 minutes ago and have a pounding headache, sleep is crap at the moment.

Bumblebeesmum Thu 12-Dec-13 11:06:40

Good luck Panic

Bumblebeesmum Thu 12-Dec-13 11:04:59

Oh and re prams I researched to death chose the Quinny Buzz 4 & then lived on Preloved.co.uk until an immaculate second hand one came up. It cost me £250 looked good as new & came with all the rain covers, a Quinny foot muff that hadn't been used as wrong season for her, carry cot attachment, clips to attach a maxi cosi & 2nd unused seat for a slightly older / bigger bottom.

I highly recommend the site for anyone on a budget - I got my Mamas & Papas gorgeous Moses basket & stand that was still being advertised for well over £100 for £30 & it looked absolutely good as new.

P.S I'm not on commission smile

panicmechanic Thu 12-Dec-13 11:04:32

Arghh sitting in the reception of fmc for my results - so nervous and my DH is late!

LadyGoneGaga Thu 12-Dec-13 11:00:54

We have a Sola and I love it! We also have a Maclaren Quest for when we don't have much boot space/holidays etc.

I'm hoping to get a second hand running buggy as well but just off Ebay as won't be our main pram. Should also be a good off-road option for the dog walks. I can't decide whether to get a double running buggy or be less ambitious and have a single and just use when DD is at pre-school. I won't be taking DS as he's a hefty 5 year old! Not going to bother with a normal double buggy as DD will nearly be three and can go on the buggy board/walk a bit.

Biffle Thu 12-Dec-13 10:57:44

Could it be the fog is lifting??! Have managed brew and cake this morning without watching it in reverse .... don't want to tempt fate but at 11w6d is this the beginning of the 'nice part' of being pg?!?!? Even managed to wash my hair and put on make up before work - OH will be suprised when he comes home tonight ... he might actually get some dinner!! shock

Good luck for scan today emmazers.
Had 2nd scan this morning and the sonographer managed to get baby to stay in right position so hope all well.
We've got a nice, modern silver cross that we used with ds, really loved it and excited going to be able to use it again smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.