Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

February 2014 - is there an octopus in there?

(1000 Posts)
LittlePandaBear Fri 08-Nov-13 21:58:53

Okay I don't like to run out of things, even threads, so here's the new one.

Can't remember who described their baby kicking like an octopus but it's very true smile

sunflowered Sat 09-Nov-13 12:11:57

We're nursery-less as well - have a couple of things still in their boxes (as of this morning that includes the pram grin - was worth the drive to Croydon to check what will fit in a corsa boot...) It doesn't need painting/papering so am saving it for some hardcore nesting in the post-xmas lull.

barebranches Sat 09-Nov-13 12:23:05

DH just looked at our energy use for the last year... it tripled in july and august...when i was off school... oops!!!
so i need to be good during maternity leave! no day time tv!

barebranches Sat 09-Nov-13 12:23:05

DH just looked at our energy use for the last year... it tripled in july and august...when i was off school... oops!!!
so i need to be good during maternity leave! no day time tv!

misskatamari Sat 09-Nov-13 12:44:52

Eeeeek - I was thinking about that the other day Bare as ours is gonna shoot up when I'm home all day through winter. I guess I'll just have to wear lots of layers and sit in the dark!

misskatamari Sat 09-Nov-13 12:53:56

Woo hoo DH says the flap jacks and "yummy" and "the best home made flapjacks" he's had. Phew! I will also be taking that last comment to read "the best flap jacks he has ever eaten full stop" grin

Champagnebubble Sat 09-Nov-13 13:12:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Champagnebubble Sat 09-Nov-13 13:15:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

misskatamari Sat 09-Nov-13 13:37:09

Ooooh a tip or the flapjacks which i read when i found the recipe on the original thread (couldn't be arsed finding it in our feb one), is to only add half the sugar if you use sweetened condensed milk. I did a double batch and used the whole tin, but halved the sugar and they are still super duper sweet.

Glad you're feeling better Champagne - you'll have to share your apple cake recipe - it sounds yummy smile

notoneforselfies Sat 09-Nov-13 13:43:04

winterflowers I am seriously impressed you are still
managing to get in a bike! I can barely walk to the end of the road!
Just back from Asda where I purchased ingredients for a roast and the flapjacks as well as a pack of pampers new born and asda new born nappies! I know that's a bit premature and I'm a weirdo (DH was very embarrassed) but sod it - I walked past them and couldn't resist. I think I have left myself literally nothing else to get now so will have to invent things to make for the nursery instead as a method of procrastinating from the work I'm still meant to be doing.

Had a ruddy good loud sing in the car on the way home to Frankie Goes to Hollywood (Power of love) and baby octopus went crazy. I'm taking it as an affirmation of my singing prowess rather than a protestation?

Oh and also discovered the left footwell of the car is under an inch of water. Good times.

Somanychanges Sat 09-Nov-13 14:15:43

Just checking in. We have had a lazy day so far. I am off to take DD to a party in a mo. baby has been going crazy this afternoon feels like he may break out of there.

My DH and DD are still not interested in seeing/feeling him move. Lucky I have my DS to humour me as he can easy rest his hand there for 10 mins getting really excited at the kicks. My DD just refuses she said "it's too weird and uncomfortable sitting there with my hand on your tummy. It's someone else's tummy that's just weird".

Well thanks DD it's only the tummy I grew you in for 9 horrendous pregnancy months. Gosh she will be a teen before I know it, very scary thought.

Ruey glad to hear there are other preggos in the village. Are you going to go to the Antenatal classes in January in the Baptist church?

winterflowers Sat 09-Nov-13 15:36:28

not one actually I struggle with walking, can't manage much without my hip killing - but biking is fine so far! I can feel my bump more now though so think my cycling days are limited and I'm going to start having to take the tube sad

Thanks for the sugar tip misskatamari just checked my milk an it is sweetened already. Half the sugar means I can eat twice as much right?

Afternoon all smile

my octopus baby is having a squirm while I try and google how to fit a bath panel....

poor dc2 has nothing arranged for him/her apart from ds's old clothes, cot and pram! My dm has bought him/her a newborn cardigan though. I am really hoping that by 6 month-ish dc2 is a good sleeper and I can chuck them in with ds.

I just can't/don't want to think about getting organised for baby until after christmas as we are doing a fair amount with the house until then. I suppose I only really need to get nappies, breast pads, car seat & base and sling anyway so not much to worry about!

I am using disposables again as tried re-usables with ds and he was a mega wee-er and had to be changed every hour. sod that.

CubanoHabana Sat 09-Nov-13 17:11:28

Amazon has a Tommie tippee digital video and sensor mat monitor for £100, has anyone got this and have opinions? It's 50% off! don't know whether to get or wait until January sales?

Also 74 pampers nappies, size 1 or 2 for £7.50 ish - is this good?

jazzcat28 Sat 09-Nov-13 17:15:24

Well I'm behind on the baking homework and this weekend am baking my Christmas cake (Delia recipe) and the Bakerella cookies I linked to on the FB page. Possibility of flapjack making next weekend.

Our nursery is currently an empty room which we are very slowly painting. Tomorrow it's more wall paint then starting to rub down and gloss the white wood. 30th Nov the furniture arrives so need to do as much rubbing down before then as poss. Won't be finished completely until Jan though as we are having 1 wall of wallpaper and Dad is chief wallpaperer in our family, and he is booked up every weekend until new year.

Off out to a big girly meal later. Looking forward to it but am going to miss the vino. May have 1 cheeky glass but fear I will be getting lots of cat bum faces from all the ladies there who are mums. Perhaps best to stick to soft drinks.

The prospect of home baking tomorrow (plus a purchase of emergency mince pies earlier) has smoothed things over between DH and I after last night's teary argument. Who knew baking could be so medicinal?

26wks tomorrow - almost in 3rd trimester.... oh my god I'm having an actual baby shock.... <waddles off for a pre-girls night lie down>

marzipanned Sat 09-Nov-13 17:26:04

I think all condensed milk is sweetened, no? I've never bought a non sweetened one, even if it's simply called condensed milk.

Had a lovely long walk this afternoon but feel utterly knackered now. We went and cancelled our gym membership too - don't see us using that with baby in tow.

Pram question: does anyone know anything about the mothercare my3?
Reviews are very mixed, but someone is selling it for £40 near me...

John Lewis advert - not wild about it.
Power of Love - YES.

Enjoy the flapjacks and cookies folks.

lastnightopenedmyeyes Sat 09-Nov-13 17:37:15

Just marking my place smile

camwombat Sat 09-Nov-13 17:49:27

Unsweetened condensed milk is unusual now apparently, the nearest you might find in supermarket is evaporated.

I've been reading through some local baby and toddler whats on magazines and am delighted to find that both the tommee tippee and nuby factory outlets are close by. Can stock up on those bits from there then.

We've got as far as discussing potential colour schemes for nursery but as it also involves repainting and carpeting another room for DS to move into. It's on our to do list.

Currently curled up with DS watching Fireman Sam oh how intellectual my life is after a busy day at Beamish, bit tired now....

tinypolkadot Sat 09-Nov-13 17:49:29

Marking my place, my octopus is a bit quiet today hmm

Weve had a very busy day today. Went to our first nct sale. We're members and had no idea we could get in early! So we were stood at the end of the queue freezing like idiots for 20 mins and needless to say most of the good stuff had gone. Oh well, we'll know for next time!

Then we jetted off to Kiddicare, saw an uppababy with no box to be sold 'as seen' for £480 but dh was still unsure so we spent a couple of hours testing out other ones. We went back and it was reduced AGAIN to £399! We couldnt believe our luck, and dh is dead chuffed with the bargain, and I am sooo happy to have the pram I want!

CubanoHabana Sat 09-Nov-13 18:08:46

Aw cam I love beamish! Went last year for the fireworks (although couldn't be talked into going this year as it was slippy and muddy last year and thought this year would be scary being preggo) and took the kiddies from school for our summer school. Not to mention mum now has a years pass so been quite a lot!

jazzcat28 Sat 09-Nov-13 18:32:20

Tiny that's an amazing bargain! Well done! I have it in red - what colour did you get?

tinypolkadot Sat 09-Nov-13 18:38:52

The red is lovely jazz we got cole blue which I'm very happy with. Think it will suit a girl as well if we have one next as its quite grey.

I just need a baby to put in it now grin

Will you get any if the accessories do you think?

camwombat Sat 09-Nov-13 19:00:45

That was our 2nd visit since Sept, we are going again in a couple of weeks for their Christmas event. It's good as we can let DS walk around and then pop him on tram when he is tired. I think we were both as tired as each other today!

EeyoreIsh Sat 09-Nov-13 19:09:56

Oh wow tiny what a bargain! I'm looking for an uppababy and would love to get that much off!

Poppy954 Sat 09-Nov-13 19:25:46

Can anyone share the bra measuring link again please?

tinypolkadot Sat 09-Nov-13 19:28:16

eeyorish I know, I still can't believe it. Thats cheaper than we've seen on ebay too, hope there's nothing wrong with it!

This thread is not accepting new messages.