Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

February 2014 - is there an octopus in there?

(1000 Posts)
LittlePandaBear Fri 08-Nov-13 21:58:53

Okay I don't like to run out of things, even threads, so here's the new one.

Can't remember who described their baby kicking like an octopus but it's very true smile

EeyoreIsh Fri 08-Nov-13 21:59:14

Yay, new thread smile

jazzcat28 Fri 08-Nov-13 22:08:44

Marking place...

Sassy20 Fri 08-Nov-13 22:31:01

Love the name. X

sunflowered Fri 08-Nov-13 22:37:10

I definitely have an octopus, and an awkward one at that. After worrying things had gone 'a bit quiet' the last day or so the little bugger was turning somersaults the moment I mentioned it to the midwife this morning. Kicking her doppler and generally showing off... She must think I'm a crazy paranoid preggo now.

gnittinggnome Fri 08-Nov-13 22:40:33

Hiya zazou, commiserations on also having this little sideline to think about, but thanks for your post - it's good to know that it's not likely to be a huge thing, and the idea of additional monitoring is kind of reassuring!

I've now got my WI looking up interesting, sugar-free, baking recipes for me - we're renowned locally for our "free-from" bakes and always get asked to contribute as we have all manner of vegan/coeliacs/egg-intolerant ladies, so this will be a challenge smile

Shropshiremummy2B Fri 08-Nov-13 22:52:23

Sooooooo tired but thought I'd rear my ugly head.

Had my 28 week appointment at home today, most exciting. I lit both log burners, baked a flapjack (obvs, what else?) and made my house look all cosy. She must have enjoyed her little trip into the sticks because she wants to come here for my 31 week appointment too!! I feel like Monica in Friends, always the hostess. I have three weeks to figure out what to bake next time.

'Twas most odd lying on the settee to get measured and doppled and the dog wandering over and gently placing a pigs ear on my chest! He was so freaked out by the sound of the heartbeat! I had to put Loulou outside as I didn't want to rub my pregnancy in her face after all she's been through. Plus she's fucking bat shit crazy.

Needless to say, all was fine. I feel very lucky that I still have nothing to complain about in pregnancy, I'm sure il get my comeuppance in Feb!

laura0007 Fri 08-Nov-13 23:12:53

Marking my place on the new thread. Not sure if I have an octopus or a baby that likes lying in a star shape as I get kicked and punched in all 'corners'!

winterflowers Sat 09-Nov-13 00:38:22

Think I have a three legged octopus inside as there's one corner she seems averse to!

G'night preggos x

rueyrichardson Sat 09-Nov-13 06:23:34

Ruey checking in at 27 weeks. The dreaded early waking has started already and I'm feeling a bit third trimester-ish - like only things I want to happen can happen without me stropping, IYKWIM. Trying very hard not to be too much of a bitch at work, its tough! Baby is very wriggly but not too kicky and I only really fancy eating Wotsits and iced buns. Sorry to hear of the GD and other worries in the group. I have a GTT next week so we'll see if the iced buns are my downfall.

The nursery is coming along and I've started to add nappies and bits to my weekly supermarket shop. We are dispo all the way, Pampers being the best we found. I've got one pack of size 1s and will stockpile size 2s - they are in the little nappies for a short time if you grow em big like I do. Haven't done the washing yet - all my DS' newborn stuff is out though. Remembering the nesting mania of last time I will leave the fun of laundry to later. Plus I need to remember to get some Fairy gentle washing powder. We want to get the baby monitor system that is app based, I think. No idea which one. I picked up a JL/Troll bednest crib on eBay for £90 so our night time sleeping arrangements are done. Phew!

Somany hope you are OK just down the road! I was in the village last week with DS which is quite rare since I am always at work, and looked out for someone who I imagine you look like grin Saw some other Preggos, we are not alone.

Happy flap jacking this weekend!

jazzcat28 Sat 09-Nov-13 07:56:44

Thanks for replies on the old thread - I know I was being daft and this morning feel like a crazy preggo! I will talk to DH later and hope he doesn't think I'm a loony

Shropshire your appt sounds amazing! How did the flapjack go down? Did you have it at home because you're thinking of a home birth?

PoopPoooDeDooo Sat 09-Nov-13 07:58:41

Hi all, checking in smile

Ruey I am also struggling not to be a bitch at work grin and with you on the early waking 6.45 on a Sat angry

Quiet weekend for me as walking any further than 100m has me in pain atm sad

While I remember could someone add me to the FB page please thanks

30 weeks today shock

Thingymajigs Sat 09-Nov-13 08:02:51

shropshire, your life sounds absolutely idyllic. smile I bet Christmas around yours is lovely. Why do you get a home visit?
lastnight, ah, I thought you would've already tried fleece liners. Some babies do seem to react to cloth especially when teething and some also start reacting badly to disposables randomly too. At least we have choice nowadays.
Today we are starting the baby's room. smile My mum is laying a thick cream carpet and DP is putting up a lovely cotbed my mum bought second hand the other day. We barely need to buy anything new, people have just bought for us or given us their old baby clothes. We got given two large bags of barely worn baby clothes yesterday that must have cost £500+ new. I do love a good freebie.

barebranches Sat 09-Nov-13 08:24:01

yeahyyy new thread and good title! i've been woken up so much all night with octopus fists!!! eventually gave in and enjoyed feeling them!
yeahy saturday!!!!!

DawnOfTheDee Sat 09-Nov-13 08:53:10

Thank you for the new thread! I have either an octopus in there or an Alien trying to break free - I don't know why I watch that film while pg...I watched it last time too.

Shropshiremummy2B Sat 09-Nov-13 09:18:03

jazz and thingy no way hose! I've booked my place on the consultants ward so they can hook me up to the epidural ASAP! When I had my 26 wk appt I said 'the next appointment is home' and she said 'only if you're having a home birth', to which I told her 'oh, I was really looking forward to that!', so she said she'd come- yay! Can't believe that's in only three weeks time AND it's on the 1st December..... Too early to put the decorations up????

I think I have made my house sound too idyllic. Unless you like being covered in mud and dog hair and being so remote that no one will hear you when you scream.....

Has anyone else not done anything towards a nursery yet? The midwife was asking how I was getting on with it, I had to tell her it was still floor to ceiling clothes, shoes and handbags. She seemed quite impressed that I was giving up my dressing room to a baby!

CubanoHabana Sat 09-Nov-13 09:26:06

Aw Shropshire I wish I had a dressing room...

winterflowers Sat 09-Nov-13 09:27:37

Shrops I'm nursery-less and probably will do nothing till after xmas when I'll have moved. But I have ordered a bednest so I know she'll have something to sleep in

gnittinggnome Sat 09-Nov-13 09:29:32

Morning all! shropshire we've not done a thing - we're hoping to buy this blasted house and exchange early January, so we can do all the work that's needed (humph) and I can give birth in the naice hospital in Bromley rather than the one closest to where we're moving. Then there's MW and the doula to see in our existing flat, before we can pack up the final bits and pieces and move into our new home for good. So either way, we're going to be moving with a newborn. I can't help but feel we didn't plan this very well...

Am spending this weekend with DH's friends, and their two children. This may be a mistake, but it's all good practice, I guess!

misskatamari Sat 09-Nov-13 10:05:01

Ooooh new thread yaaaaay grin

Our nursery has had our desks cleared out and has a rug and that's it. There is a Moses basket in there but it's just shoved in the corner with a load of cat deterrent crap in it.

Another early waker here. Also managed to DTD with DH for the first time since I can't actually remember and now I'm gonna make flapjacks so I'm a bit less of a crap useless wife today! Just need to trawl through the last thread for the recipe. I think I shall be double batching - can't bloody wait!

Julietee Sat 09-Nov-13 10:55:28

No nursery prep for us, either. Not much prep of any kind apart from bed nest and a handful of random clothes! I feel like I have forever. But I need to think of this more like a deadline and not leave everything to the last minute... like I am wont to do with deadlines.

It's DH's birthday tomorrow and I have spent most of my money on a kindle for him, reasoning that we're not likely to be able to spoil each other for a while.
I wish we would DTD sad

marzipanned Sat 09-Nov-13 11:30:40

Thanks for the new thread!

Well our nursery has a floor and walls again, the decorator is coming round today to talk about painting it and putting a new carpet in, thank goodness. I am now desperate to get it sorted and unpack the enormous box of baby clothes..I must admit to going through them all last night and getting ridiculously impatient. 3 months feels like SO LONG.

Part of me still really wants to move out of this house but part of me thinks I should wait until all the repairs are done and see if I feel more positive about it then.

somany my DH was talking about going to the US in January too. I completely put my foot down - but he has got at least three more trips abroad in 2013 so I felt I was quite justified!

ch1134 Sat 09-Nov-13 11:36:39

I'm currently sitting in our 'nursery'. It has a sofa bed, desk and computer. We're in the process of renovating the loft - when that's done my husband's studio can move upstairs, this stuff can go into the freed up room and finally we can start on the nursery - around Christmas I guess! We've got paint for the walls and a few bits and pieces that people have given us gathering into a big messy pile in the lounge...
Each room needs redecorating so it'll take a while. But I finish on 20th Dec and babe not due til 27th Jan so I think there's plenty of time. And I imagine a lot of stuff I'll get once baby is here anyway.

winterflowers Sat 09-Nov-13 11:39:58

The rain is impeding my flapjack making sad just mobilised to get on the bike to go buy the necessities and sky opened. Am obv not hardcore enough sad

misskatamari Sat 09-Nov-13 11:55:11

I don't know if I added enough oats to mine as it said not to make them too dry and it looks VERY wet and squishy. I'm sure they'll taste good whatever though smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.