Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2014 (Thread 11) - We demand answers like what to pack in our bags and who stole our energy?

(1000 Posts)
Toothfairy78 Sun 27-Oct-13 23:18:59

OK before we start... SQUEEEZE!

And begin!

Toothfairy78 Sun 17-Nov-13 10:19:03

Er, morning my dears. Looks like you're up early and have been busy filling up this thread.

Anyone else want to do the honours this time?

It's fun, you get to come up with a fun title and stuff...and there's only one post left with which to post a link.

<sits squeezing while waiting...>

BookTart Sun 17-Nov-13 09:52:20

I hope they give you a date soon another. I also immediately thought of all the cute christmas outfits you could buy blush Mothercare do them in early and tiny baby sizes.

I've used my mothercare toys email discount code to buy a playgym thing and the bouncer I wanted today. I still haven't got anything useful like a sling or a breast pump or anything. I am crap at this. The baby has got approx. 1 million newborn size sleepsuits though. I have just realised they are all from the 'boy' section, but she won't mind, will she? She might like tractors and space ships!

I was going to make DH do the perineal massage thing. I can't reach! He seemed fine with it, although I'm sure it will be horrifically embarrassing in practice blush

lovelilies Sun 17-Nov-13 09:49:59

squeeze... just filling up threadgrin

TarkaTheOtter Sun 17-Nov-13 09:39:42

I bought a mama tens on amazon last time. I've loaned it out a few times and will be using it again bit it was cheaper than hiring even as a one off. Not sure how useful it was because I didn't really have an "early" labour as it all happened pretty quickly.

another I'm hoping they'll tell me my induction date next week. Should be around 30th Dec. It'll be nice to have a firm(ish) date.

Sultanajo Sun 17-Nov-13 09:29:34

frizz am glad u said that about the perineal massage, as really dont think I could manage it and it freaks me out because it makes the thought of giving birth real! Whats weird is sometimes I feel totally chilled about it (5-10% of the time) & other times it makes me freak out (90-95% of the time)! grin In fact I have no idea if I have colostrum yet as I am too scared to squeeze to find out. blush Wow, turning into a proper wuss!!! blush blush

Frizz1986 Sun 17-Nov-13 09:00:33

mrsv yep it was me being psycho about avoiding things. I know that the nhs website says cured meats have minimal risk so they don't advise to avoid and same with shellfish as long as its properly cooked. I was so worried at the start of the pg and am a bit of a pessimist so was convinced something was going to go wrong as we had conceived so fast so my mind started telling me to be overly douchey and avoid everything just in case. Now at 32 weeks it seems so close to the end. I even avoided runny eggs (although had a slightly runny one the other week) The thought of eggs did make me feel sick for the first 20 weeks tho. I know nhs website says to avoid them but my doc said as long as they are lion stamped they have been tested so are fine.

I am planning on trying tens. My sister has given me her machine (need to check the batteries tho)
Whats with this raspberry leaf stuff? Does it really work?

We asked about perineal massage at nct last week and the lady said that her research friend said that currently it seems that there isn't much correlation to show it's effectiveness as the body is designed to stretch in that area naturally and it's difficult to see if those who used it would have been ok without it in the first place.

All this does it doesn't it work is really confusing but am thinking anything is worth a try (not sure about the massaging tho, how the hell do you manoeuvre yourself to be able to reach)

Happy Sunday ladies. Almost new thread time

and squeeze

MrsVDB Sun 17-Nov-13 08:53:27

another I can't see the body suit k was thinking of online but they had loads in store. However if your after full on outfits they have Santa, reindeer or elves in first size which is up to 7lbs

Santa outfit

I had planned on hypnobirthing and tens but I seem to be in denial that I have less than 10 weeks less (and a random feeling hell be a few weeks early) and haven't done anything yet including my pelvic floors or exercise classes that I should do

I had a rush of buying clothes and have got pram, carseat and cot all in the shop awaiting delivery as it'll feel too real if they're here also got that playmat that was mentioned the other week, lots of wipes and 2 small packs of nappies but apart from that I'm in denial about monitors, breast pump etc

Sultanajo Sun 17-Nov-13 08:51:51

How annoying toby! grrrr!

A few of my friends said they found tens a useful distraction. I dont know if I would find it useful or annoying!

Thanks for all the raspberry tea pointers.....

Good to know we are all a bit batshit crazy at the moment! When DH and I were out shopping yesterday I couldnt stop putting a hand on him every two mins. hmm

In fact, I am going so soft that I agreed to go and see Gravity today as DH really wants to see it. He had better enjoy it! Can feel my ass going numb and back hurting from the cinema seats already.....confused

GummiBear74 Sun 17-Nov-13 08:31:51

There seems to be so many different types of TENS and places to hire them! Does anyone have a recommendation?

Relating to the rlt discussion, I have an unopened, sealed bottle of 100 capsules that I'm happy to send to someone for free if you PM me. I got two because they were in the penny sale at H&B, then realised that I probably won't get through one bottle, let alone two! I think the capsules are stronger than the tea - I'm on the tea now, planning to start on capsules at 35-36 weeks.

TobyLerone Sun 17-Nov-13 06:52:13

I've been awake for an hour. Grrrr.

Re TENS machines... I just found it annoying last time, so I won't bother. I know lots of people find them useful though, even if only as a distraction.

OnlyThePurpleOnes Sun 17-Nov-13 05:58:40

Sarahleanne i was thinking of trying a tens machine this time round. Last time my delivery ended up a lot more medicalised (if thats a word) than i'd hoped, and looking back i can see i was a bit 'oh, OK' about things that i would have put off ad i been in my right mind! Im not sure i fi can hire one where i am though and buying one seems a bit of a waste. Has anyone used one before and got on well with it?

I'm very jealous of all the chocolate biscuit talk. After my borderline get result i've convinced myself that sugar is the work of the devil, and have cut out as much as possible. Then spent three days with horrible headaches, dizziness and no energy! Im feeling a bit better now though (might be to do with the mini box of Smarties i smuggled out of DD's partybag yesterday.) DH keeps taking the piss because i ordered te vegetarian sandwich at lunch in a cafe at the weekend, which, when it came, turned out to be a massive plate of vegetables on toast. It was really nice, but now every meal time he asks, 'What are we having? Vegetables on toast?' Cheeky git.

I bought teeny tiny nappies in the big shop yesterday. My app tells me that in only 64 days i will have a teeny tiny bum to put in them. So exciting.

Hope everyone is having a relaxing Sunday.

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 17-Nov-13 00:56:33

My due date is the 28th January, but because of my placenta they normally like to deliver at 36 weeks at the latest which would fall right in the Christmas period. Another lady I met with my due date who is being kept in hospital with the same condition was told she would have her CS at 34 weeks at the latest.

Do they do early baby Christmas outfits? DS is predicted to be 4lb already from my scan this Thursday and is 99th centile, but not sure if newborn will fit if he comes early.

MrsVDB Sun 17-Nov-13 00:17:32

Was it frizz avoiding cured meats and shellfish? Obviously personal choice and guidelines do vary by country but nhs says both of these are fine, as are all cheeses if cooked through smile

flyawayblue Sun 17-Nov-13 00:14:47

Was thinking of getting some rlt and.now you've all convinced me smile

another I hope they give you a date or idea of a date soon though it does sound like you'll be before Christmas. Is it wrong that my thoughts went to cute reindeer or my first Christmas outfits?

humpty yey to internet!! I'm glad you posted, I've been the same with dh and thought I was going mad. He was 30 mins late last week as stuck in traffic but I was sure he must have had a crash / been killed / something terrible.

Sorted out a lot of baby clothes into newborn/to one month and 0-3 months drawers, just need to do some washing on for the new things and then her room is almost ready. Don't think we would have been this ready if we hadn't been given a cot - had to sort the room out to put it up..

That plus some shopping and I had a two hour nap this evening (oops).

My brain is sadly lacking so I can't remember all the other things I was going to post, sorry to everyone I've missed.

MrsVDB Sun 17-Nov-13 00:06:27

another when are you due? Next have some really cute Christmas themed knitted baby grows if you have a baby by Christmas!

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 16-Nov-13 22:27:00

I only used the TENS last time sarah, they gave me G&A when I got to hospital, but I didn't use it as I was already pushing and it just annoyed me. I was in labour at home for all but the last half hour of my labour.

I love RLT but am not allowed it this time because going into labour would be dangerous for me and baby.

I was calculating my dates and reckon that I will be offered a ELCS the week before Christmas as I need to have a consultant obstetrician, consultant anaesthetist and consultant urologist present. I can't see them wanting to do an op over Christmas and New Year somehow and I can't wait until early January for risk of going into labour.

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 16-Nov-13 22:18:10

I did raspberry Leaf Tea with both of mine, I did find my contractions were strong and consistent and I dilated very quickly too. Dd1 was a six hour active labour (but was contracting for 10 hours before that) and dd2 was seven hours from first contraction to birth.

sarahleanne Sat 16-Nov-13 21:59:48

is anyone thinking of using a tens machine in labour? I've never used one before but may try it this time so if I do actually go into natural labour (never have before) then I'm thinking I may be able to labour at home a bit longer if I have some form of pain relief at the beginning.

TarkaTheOtter Sat 16-Nov-13 21:23:48

I've been drinking rlt since 30 weeks but less than 1 cup a day. I LOVE it. Will drink with more abandon from 32 weeks. As I'm being induced at 38weeks thought I might start a bit earlier.
Agree with extra, it's not meant to induce labour just increase the effectiveness of contractions so labour is shorter. Don't know much about the capsules though as the tea is so nice - maybe they are more potent?
The active stage of my labour was only 4hrs and I only pushed for 8mins before dd was born.

extracrunchy Sat 16-Nov-13 21:10:38

I'm loving raspberry leaf tea! It doesn't make you go into labour - just tones your uterine muscles.

Apparently you should start around 34 weeks so it builds up in your system, and start with one cup a day, then two, up to three or four. (This is NCT lady's advice.)

I'm also a bit clingy and emotional at the moment. And then really grumpy and standoffish the next minute!

My DH has also been great today - he's done all the childcare and I basically spent the afternoon in the bath eating M&S mini Jaffa cakes grin

Thanks all - reassuring to know I'm not losing it. I do exactly that - cling to DH and tell him not to leave me.
He does a lot of this ----> hmm

I have raspberry leaf tea, loose tea leaves. Going to brew up a pot tonight before bed, I think.

Managed to stay busy today, tidying, unpacking doing laundry etc, so I am tired enough to sleep without worrying much about DH.

BookTart Sat 16-Nov-13 20:49:23

Viscounts are IMMENSE. I think they were 12 for £1 in Poundland #classy. Mint flavour, obviously. The orange ones are an abomination. I also have mint Clubs to polish off cake

I bought some raspberry leaf capsules the other day and was planning to start at about 37 weeks.

In an astonishing display of baby related activity, DH has blown up my bouncy ball thing and assembled the crib without being asked. I think after the nice lady at the fruit and veg stall told me that I was 'gigantic' and my baby would be 'a beast' he has realised that things might not be that far off!

humpty - hurrah for the internet! Obviously I've been a bit batshit with the hormones throughout, but have developed a nagging fear that DH will leave/die in the last few weeks. I think he's getting a bit tired of having to promise that he won't make me move out and live under a bridge. I'm assuming the crazy will go away at some point after the baby is here. IT will, won't it (eventually)?

lovelilies Sat 16-Nov-13 20:38:31

I have some raspberry capsules from my friend, she only took them at 38 and 39 weeks with her 2 and went into labour within 2 days... was going to wait til 37 weeks hmm

Sultanajo Sat 16-Nov-13 20:38:15

Thanks frying! Are the tablets better than drinking the tea?

This thread is not accepting new messages.