Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2014: The Maybies are growing humans - what's your superpower?

(1001 Posts)
moominleigh94 Mon 21-Oct-13 13:45:49

We are superheroes grin

Sickness and scans galore in the latest installment of the Maybies' journey through human-growing.

What size is your baby? Find out - m.thebump.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-tools/articles/how-big-is-baby.aspx?MsdVisit=1

The Stats Page - ready for your due dates and baby names! - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvygwA-EKhURdDMwQWNNWGt0cHhmVkloazVVQ0hYNUE#gid=0

Cake, chicken nuggets, Shloer and whatever else we're craving is on the table ready grin

CbeebiesIsMyLife Wed 06-Nov-13 13:28:05

here for new thread?

dobedobedo Wed 06-Nov-13 13:19:50

SOMEONE DO A NEW THREAD! I'm too shy

hamncheese Wed 06-Nov-13 13:18:11

bairn 48hrs? I'd go berserk. Wait, no, I'd probs just call the police! Hahaha

randomm ta.. Have thought about it but it still is hormonal isn't it? I'm really sensitive to hormonal changes (hence me being so crappy at pregnancy). I wonder if I can get them to sterilise me by arguing that its for the sake of my mental health...!

longtailed its the man who decides though isn't it? My SILs DH is from a family of allllllll boys. So she was scuppered from the get go really!! I do feel bad when she says she is sad she won't get to watch her little girl get married but still not an excuse to be so mardy about everything all the bloody time!

nanny I took DS to the 12 week scan and they said hmm ok for this but absolutely not for anomaly as its longer and the scanner needs concentration during it.

I always felt DS was a boy. And when he came out instead of saying "what is it?" As in is it a boy or girl? I said "what is he?" HAHAHA I suppose I trust my gut this time round but don't want to be so convinced and disappointed so hence finding out at the scan

Anyway away to wake sleepy head who's been napping for well over two hours so we can go to new Lanark for a wee afternoon out smile

LittleBairn Wed 06-Nov-13 12:57:15

nanny they don't usually allow children into scans. But I think it's usually down to who you get on the day.

AliOh Wed 06-Nov-13 12:53:47

So who is going to be brave and start a new thread grin

AliOh Wed 06-Nov-13 12:50:08

That is exactly what i'm scared of LongTailed I always wanted a boy but i've a feeling im having a girl so I dont think i'd feel disappointed either way, I just feel if I found out beforehand then I can get used to the idea of a boy or a girl because I would feel guilty if I was disappointed. Plus DP really really really wants to find out and I feel a bit guilty taking away from him one of the very few things he has control over. On the other hand I just feel I should stick my guns and what I originally wanted was to not find out!

NannyPlumForPM Wed 06-Nov-13 12:46:08

I had the implant but after I came off it I genuinely felt like a weight had been lifted so it must've played absolute havoc with my hormones!! No periods which is always nice but a shock to conceive within a couple of months of having it out.

I'm finding out and I can't WAIT!

hopefully I'll get a sneaky early peek too or I might have to wait until 23rd Dec sad

Anyone know if DD can come into the scan room for the anomaly scan? She came in fine for the 12 week but the letter seems to advise against children being left in the waiting room on their own hmm )

Every week that goes past I get more hope that it's not a boy with IP!! (a certain miscarriage) So either flavour I will be more than happy with (but i would have been more than a little disappointed if DD was a DS wink )

LongTailedTit Wed 06-Nov-13 12:40:57

grin ham

I really really thought DS was going to be a girl, just assumed it as I'm one of two girls, my mum is one of two girls, my gran was one of six girls...
At the 20wk scan I was a bit shock and it took me a while to get my head around it. By the time he actually turned up I was totally sorted and excited to meet him, dread to think how stunned I'd have been if I hadn't found out!

In my family, the current grandchildren are 8 boys, 1 girl.
In DHs (one of three boys), they're 2 boys, 3 girls.
(DS included in both sets!)
I'd be pretty surprised to find out its a girl, the odds are pretty heavily XY!

randdom Wed 06-Nov-13 12:32:41

We won't be finding out the gender I don't think.

hamncheese - Have you consider the IUS. It is very reliable and lasts for a good number of years. Also in a lot of people stops or reduces their periods which is an added bonus.

More info here: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/intrauterine-system-leaflet

Xavielli Wed 06-Nov-13 12:21:17

I'll be finding out but keeping it a secret from DP who doesn't like to know. Dd2 had her legs crossed so I didn't know with her, I think I would have been slightly disappointed if she had been a boy - no idea why.

LittleBairn Wed 06-Nov-13 12:18:40

ham I'm in club then, I will love whatever I get but I'm attached to my imaginary girl now. There is only one girl in my DH family, it's dominated by boys and men so I know everyone would be excited by a girl.
Lol I'm witht he sour in-laws I know mine would feel like I stole their trophy with them not having the on girl. grin icing on the cake for me...

Trust me when this baby comes I won't be letting them away with this noise.
I had to deal with a 48 hour!!!!! Teenage party right at the start of my pregnacy I finally snapped at 2am and almost knocked their door off the hinges.

hamncheese Wed 06-Nov-13 11:46:08

Oh god longtailedtit if I went through all this for a blinking kitten I'd go mental ;) better be a human! I already have four cats!!

Lets start an "I secretly hope its a girl" club bairn I really want a girl. Nub theory said so and this pregnancy is so different and... Now this is horrible and I apologise... Everyone kind of doesnt want it to be a girl because SIL has four boys (the last two were both meant to be girls IYSWIM) and they all think its insensitive to imagine it could possibly be a girlie. SIL is a sour piece of work so I wouldn't mind all all if it was a girl ;) mind you, even if its a boy I will have the satisfaction of knowing I had two children I wanted and didn't have more only to end up with no girl and more children than i actually wanted.

Anyway, we never found out with DS and it was a nice surprise but tbh everyone spent the whole thing going ITS A BOY, A DEFINITE BOY. so it felt a bit annoying to have people going OOH I KNEW IT all the time after. This time DH and I will find out and not tell anyone then we will sneakily be laughing when people make their guesses ha! God I sound so bitter today. I blame hormones.

I just ate a salad. Like, real normal food. That non sick people eat. Yay!

Also bairn sorry about the noise. It makes me so panicky when I can't control outside noise especially when DS is asleep. He freaked out a few night ago when the fireworks went off close to us just as he was nodding off. Poor man.

NannyPlumForPM Wed 06-Nov-13 11:19:12

Yep i'm a Worcester choppa - born in Hereford though so not really 'down' with the sixth forms/school knowledge etc. Going to send DD to Cherry Orchard methinks but that's as far as I've got!

Didn't realise you were my way too cbeebies <waves> we should have a midlands round up at some stage! As long as things are gettable to on the train smile

LongTailedTit Wed 06-Nov-13 11:17:07

AliOh We'll be finding out boy or girl tho I'm secretly hoping for a kitten as I really don't do well with surprises.
DH and I would quite like to have a girl, but I think a little brother would be fab for DS, so in reality I have no preference.

My sis found out with her first (DD), then didn't for her second (DS1) - when the midwife told her he was a boy she felt 5 seconds of disappointment and still feels guilty for that 8 years later! She had no idea she had felt so strongly he'd be a girl until he turned out to be a boy!
For her third (DS2) she found out again, didn't want to risk feeling so awful again.

I feel so different this time that everyone says it must be a girl, even the midwife, they've all got a 50/50 chance of being right I suppose... smile

LittleBairn Wed 06-Nov-13 10:57:37

choppa we are the same a few boys names but no girls. I've always seen myself as the mother of a gang of boys so the idea of a girl is a bit strange. But I'm glad I have that feeling otherwise might have been shocked at delivery.

Alioh we won't be finding out the sex because DH is very against it, its the only thing he's asked for this pregnacy he lets me make all the descions so I feel its only fair to give him this one.
But I did squint at scan but it wasn't very clear. Still another 4 more scans for me so I might just see something.

I'm feeling sad the teenage girl next door is blaring dance music ( we are a semi) 3rd morning in a row it gives me terrible headaches. But if I go around there I will totally loose it with her.
I wouldn't mind but her dad moans if our grass is slightly long but they are so incredibly arrogant with their music and parties the adults are worse than the kids! He's a police officer FFS!

thistlelicker Wed 06-Nov-13 10:15:42

I will Be! I'm too mosey not to!

AliOh Wed 06-Nov-13 10:14:12

Who will be finding out the sex then? I'm really in two minds about it, alot of people have said to me its so much nicer phoning friends and family when baby is born and telling them its a boy/girl but I also can't imagine getting to the end weeks of my pregnancy and not knowing whether I will have a son or daughter at the end of it iyswim? I always said I wouldnt find out but now its happened I'm really excited to.

Or maybe i'm just over thinking this all together and distracting myself with something else now 12 week scan is over confused

Choppa Wed 06-Nov-13 09:50:30

LittleBairn

I have always been so sure I'd have boys that it seems very alien that it could be a girl. Don't even have any girls names. Interesting...prob will find out at 20weeks...that'll give me time to get my head around it if it's a girl.
I'm hoping for a good scan today so I can check out the nub theory.

thistlelicker Wed 06-Nov-13 09:26:13

We need a new thread!!!!!! ;-)

Xavielli Wed 06-Nov-13 09:15:39

I believe vasect

thistlelicker Wed 06-Nov-13 09:08:00

14 weeks today!!!! Eeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!

Still feeling poooop though

LittleBairn Wed 06-Nov-13 08:17:48

choppa I was wondering if I'm having a Girl as this pregnacy is so different to my first.
I was a bit worried about possibily having a girl at first but I'm starting to think about 'my little girl' and feeling excited. DH has always wanted a girl too.

LittleBairn Wed 06-Nov-13 08:12:42

ham that's a hard one to say as a lot do fail but its mostly those in the first year (most are still told to use contraception during this time) and those that never bothered doing the follow up sample after that year to get the ok.
One of my bosses ended up with baby No.6 within 18 months of having twins even thought they had got the all clear.

But it's probably more reliable than other methods like the Pill etc.

DH and I use Natural family planning, timed to avoid ovulation pulling out that type of thing but it may not be the right method if your family is finished.

Xav those comments are dreadful how rude!
My sister got similar comments after my niece was born because her skin tone is so dark, stupid thing is she looks exactly like her paternal grandmother! Needless to say my sister has never spoke to them again.

minions I get the "trying long...don't see any babies yet" Thing too because we have been married for a while. Given our history really insenstive!

I know many people excuse it with just small talk/just curious but I've managed to never ask these questions so don't see why they can't do the same. Basic manners IMO.

Choppa Wed 06-Nov-13 08:03:56

Good to hear I'm not the only one getting twatish questions!! I had the 'how long have you been trying' question too! What?? It's like asking someone if they have been having lots of timed sex recently... Idiots.

I really do think I can feel the baby now and again...seems like others agree...thanks smile. When I first wake up my tummy is really round (must be the full bladder pushing everything up and forwards) and this morning I really felt a little tiny kick. This so so unexpected as last time I was 20 weeks before I really felt movement.

This pg is proving to be so different to the last in every way and so I'm wondering if it could be a girl?? Mmm

On the subject of full bladders I know I need to drink lots before my scan later which I am seriously worried about! I obviously did not do enough pelvic floor exercises last time didn't take my hippy yoga teacher seriously...and tense and breathe and let it all hang out...blurgh and I'm pretty convinced I'll pee all over the floor while I'm waiting....ah the joys.

Anyway will let you know how it goes x

thistlelicker Wed 06-Nov-13 07:56:49

I'm going to discuss sterilisation with my consultant

This thread is not accepting new messages.