Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013: Newborn snuggles and waddles to the finish line

(1000 Posts)

Stats sheet here

New arrivals here

Key:
SC - still cooking (pre EDD)
SFW - still f***ing waiting (post EDD)
OWT - on way to theatre (CS)
IP - induction in progress
SWIL - somewhere in labour
LIT - lost in transition

roxvox Tue 15-Oct-13 21:57:17

Thanks for the new thread feminist!

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time flyer. Hopefully you'll be feeling much better in the morning, and then you'll be able to go and see your baby. Fingers crossed he'll be much better come the morning too.

Sorry you're having problems with bfing mrsh. Can you get the consultant who helped you out earlier back?

Natalieand Tue 15-Oct-13 22:06:07

Congratulations flyer I hope your gorgeous dd is on the mend ASAP xxxx

I'm laying in hospital feeling extremely sorry for myself
Had a process inserted yesterday morning which lasts 24 hours which got my cervix from closed to 1cm with lots of contractions then had to argue with the doctor to give me a dose of gel which should have been re done at 8.30 tonight but apparently they r too busy so it will have to wait till tommorow they won't even re examine me. They have also said if the gel doesn't progress the induction I have two choices a c section or come back next week and try again

I haven't seen dd since 8am Monday I keep crying as my mum thinks I shouldn't talk to her and upset her cos she's been very quiet the last two days. I'm in so much pain from everything occuring. I literally feel at my whits end and if they tell me tommorow they r sending me home I may just have a mental breakdown. Dh started his paternity leave on Monday so that will be that wasted. I no it all sounds rediculous written down in the grand scheme of things especially when lots of u are having a tough time ATM

Sanjifair Tue 15-Oct-13 22:18:53

nat that sounds odd. I would have thought they would try and break your waters and/or put you on the drip next rather than c-Sec or home. At least that is what happened to me last time. Have those options been mentioned?

AnythingNotEverything Tue 15-Oct-13 22:23:24

Just checking in. Technically SC as my due date is tomorrow. Very very fed up.

Thinking of you Nat - sounds very odd. I hope you get a more sensible response in the morning, and I'm sure you DD is fine. It's a funny time and it'll all be forgotten once baby is here.

Too knackered to remember everything ... Glad to here Jack's doing ok Favellio, and that we have a steady stream of new babies. Hope Flyer's LO is ok too.

PseudoBadger Tue 15-Oct-13 22:24:37

Oh Nat sorry that's not good sad

Thanks for the new thread, who'so going to have their baby on this one?!

Congratulations Ellie. Sorry you are having a tough time.

Really hope it is nothing serious flyer, fingers crossed for your little girl.

thanks to Nat, MrsH and others in need of it tonight.

Interesting to hear about the reflexology shortening labour and making it less painful. I've booked a second appointment at my house on Friday as I found it very relaxing and it may have helped my pgp a bit (pr might have been coincidence...)

rubytwosday Tue 15-Oct-13 22:37:13

Thankyou for new thread Fem. just quickly checking in before trying to get some sleep but wanted to wish Shire, Nat, MrsHN, Flyer and their little ones speedy recovery/progress. Sorry if I have missed anyone.

Natalieand Tue 15-Oct-13 22:37:43

No mention of a drip. They have said they would like me to be dialated enough to break my waters but unfortunately the first vaginal examination showed I'm only 1cm so as I say they have inserted a different gel now (which u are only allowed 2 doses of) which gave me lots of painfull contractions but I haven't had any contractions now for about 2 hours so I've 'demanded' without sounding like a diva to see the doctor on call and make a plan I've now sent mum and dh home as its rediculous all hanging round here and dh is exhausted and he snores in the chair next to me and keeps me awake anyway. They keep saying the induction isn't working as I'm not 2 weeks late which seems like an excuse more than a reason to me as I had dd at 39+5 also I am almost 40+2 now so not exactly early to be having induction,

I just need my big baby girl back pestering me and to have this baby out of me! If they send me home I will be forced to take castor oil and I didn't want to do that but needs must

textbook Tue 15-Oct-13 22:45:45

Sounds shit Nat hope you get a more reasonable response from a different doctor.

Flyer thinking of you & Alexandra, sounds like you're both having a really rough time of it. Glad your dp can be with her until you're reunited xx

Thanks for the new thread smile

takingachance Tue 15-Oct-13 22:59:51

Hi, our gorgeous daughter, Alexandra Susan, was born yesterday at 1006am weighing 8lbs.

Following on from yesterday's posts when I was SWIL, we got to the hospital at about 0830, I was examined at 0900 at 4-5cm. So we went to the delivery room and things progressed pretty quickly from there! Lovely midwife supported my wish not to be 'strapped' to the bed and I spent most of the labour on my feet, stamping!

I leaned over the back of the bed for about the last 20mins and spent about 10mins pushing. Throughout the pushing stage I spent the whole time telling everyone I couldn't do it! But anyway, I did and she arrived safely and we are completely smitten. Dd1 is totally besotted with her too.

Good luck to those still waiting and best wishes to those babas needing a bit of extra care xx

BreeWannabe Tue 15-Oct-13 23:02:01

Hi ladies, I'm a bit of a serial lurker and have only posted a few times. Just wanted to say though, Natalie, I understand- I'm currently on the Antenatal ward being induced too. I had the pessary at lunchtime (which hurt going in as it turns out I have thrush) and I cried at the discomfort, so MW immediately stopped and said we'll try again in half an hour, even though I said just keep going as I don't want everything delayed. Feeling quite anxious about what's happening and now DH has been sent home for the night so I'm all alone reading MN!
flowers to those having tough times x

Wickedgirl Tue 15-Oct-13 23:04:49

Congratulations to all of the new mummies and babies.

I have finally also had my beautiful baby........Amelie was born yesterday at 4.12am after a 4 hour labour and weighed a tiny 7lb 1oz which outs her almost 2lb lighter than my smallest baby! We came home yesterday lunch time. She is doing really well and has taken to breast feeding really well although I have to wake her for a feed as she is really sleepy. She has such a strong suck though and I already have a cracked nipple. I'm hoping that the lansinoh lanolin cream will start working soon.

She looks like a dolly and is such a sweetie. I am so happy that after such a long wait, I am finally getting baby cuddles

Oddlife Tue 15-Oct-13 23:11:08

oh dear another thread I have managed to miss and looks like so much has happened in last 2 weeks. Apologises in advance for playing catch up and not being able to make this personal to all of you.

Firstly congrats to everyone who has had their baby/ies i hope they are bringing you much joy along with sleepless nights.

Also to all the mums who are bravely having to deal with their little ones struggling at the moment - may you all be reunited with your babies very soon.

Those still waiting - enjoy these last days of complete freedom - soon a teeny tiny thing will be glued to you 24/7 yes even when you need to wee!

My baby daughter was born 3/10/13 by csection. No idea if I managed a natural c section as BP dropped rapidly from the meds and I lost the ability to know what was going on for most of the time. Csection recovery has been v good and speedy but I have really struggled with bf. she tore my nipples in first 2 days and the nurses gave her formula as she was so hungry. She feeds for hours on breast and still needs ff top ups. She lost 6% by day 5 but hasn't gained weight by day 11. So being weighed again on Thursday. I fluctuate between wanting to continue with bf or give up but will hang on in til next weigh in. Who knew something so natural could be so bloody tricky?!

Anyway just wanted to reconnect with you all and finally had a few moments to myself. Am thinking of you all even if cant respond very often.

roofio87 Tue 15-Oct-13 23:11:22

checking in. trying desperately to stay awake till H settles, but feel exhausted!!
flyer sorry Alexandra is so poorly, but she'll be fine and you'll be reunited soon.
nat my induction worked at bang on 40 weeks so dont let them use that as an excuse. hope you get some better answers!!

sisteroutlaw Tue 15-Oct-13 23:33:05

thanks to all the new mummies - Ellie and Wicked and taking (and thanks for new thread feminist!)

Pants to all the trauma and worry people are suffering. Really thinking of you all tonight. Nat - hope the on call doctor progresses things for you tonight. Do not worry about being demanding. This process doesn't need to be more drawn out for the hospital's convenience.

To those struggling BFing and wanting to persevere, can't stress enough about getting professional help from a lactation consultant. I bang that drum a lot, I'm sorry, as it saved my sanity first time round. Also an ace resource here about a scientist who had issues BFing. I read it while I was pumping for DS1 before got latch and tie sorted.

Sorry if I've missed namechecking anyone from today's posts.

cakebiscuitbrew...wine xxx

Tarlia Wed 16-Oct-13 00:20:17

Congrats to all the new mummy's.

Sorry to heard a crap day/evening is being had by so many sad flyer I'm so sorry A is poorly and needing to be in HD. Really awful they didn't take you to visit her in your bed but well done for being up and about so soon. I tried after 12 hours but took be 23.
mrsh are you doing lots of skin to skin? I revert back to this when we are having a tough day feeding or when poorly up to about 1year - really helps.
shire hope nothing shows up and you and A are both home soon gaining weight (A not you).
Nat what a loud of tosh that you are only 40 weeks so not ready for induction - I was induced 37+4 with DS1 and had him 37+5. Fx you are now 3cm and they can break your waters. Obv you know you dd best, but I suggest as much visiting and a couple of calls per day is much much better than mummy vanishing. She needs to know you are still around even if it makes the person who is looking after her have to be extra jolly and cheering her up.

[http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf] These are the formula guidelines - once bottle is made you can easily cool by running under a cold tap, plunging into a jug of ice and water or mix the formula with 2oz of the correct temp water then pour into the rest of the required water which is already cool (remember powder pushes up the water level).
I suggest cartons for middle of the night and out and about feeds. Saying 'my baby is fine' is all very well, I hear it lots, but babies have got very sick from non sterile feeding/powder.
I will throw a spanner into the works though - in this country it's so bad that they use hot tap water (entres buildings hot) to make up bottles..

Big shout out to the ladies SC flowers enjoy rubbing those bumps, it won't be long.

Tarlia Wed 16-Oct-13 00:21:01
legallyblond Wed 16-Oct-13 00:26:00

Huge hugs Flyer. I hope Alexandra's results are good. You really will feel much much better pain wise tomorrow (ie today) and so visiting her should be do-able. If you're at all concerned re the formula.... Don't be. It's v early days.... Both my girls had formula in the early days (DD in first 24 hours, Valentina had top ups for a week) and were / are boob monsters! Thinking of you, A and your DP..... X x x

MrsHN - I got your pm and replied..... I think I'd fine by the time you picked it up and was only on the off chance anyway! Please don't panic re C's feeding... Hugo had syringes until day three (if you count day one as birth). If you're not happy with the help, ask to see a bf expert or peer supporter or experienced assistant - the ones that wear peachy pink in our hospital (agree they're better re bf than the junior midwives!). Don't panic if they want him to have a bit if formula in a sippy cup - DD had this before age learned to latch. Only had it once then she just clicked! It'll be fine x x x x. And the loss of a day of pat leave while you're in will be forgotten v swiftly!!!

GTbaby Wed 16-Oct-13 00:51:43

Nat what your upset about is not silly at all x
My dh was not aloud to start paternity leave until the day the baby was born. The 3days off he had while being induced where given to him as special leave. Can your dh did out if his company has a similar policy.

I'm sure it's policy that men can't start before baby is born? As they only get two weeks off and if they take it from your EDD and you are two weeks late then the whole time is wasted?

My nipples are cracked and sore. On bf thread I was recommended using jelonet. It's a gauze soaked in paraffin. Used for burns healing. I used it two days on my sore side and its really helped. The packet of them cost £6 from a chemist. So not very expensive and I think 1pk would be more then enough.

GTbaby Wed 16-Oct-13 00:58:37

I made bottles as I went for ds1 until recently. For continence I start making all bottles for the day. Then cooling in cold water. Store in fridge. Heat in hot water when needed.
When I start formula with ds2 I will use this method. However am going to try bf at night for as long as possible so I don't have to get up!

GTbaby Wed 16-Oct-13 00:59:59

Continence?!?!

moonblues Wed 16-Oct-13 01:01:22

Oh flyer. I'm so sorry your DD is in high dependency. Hope she gets better asap and you are reunited soon. Hope you're feeling less sore now. flowers

shire sorry you had to be readmitted. Hope things are going better.

Hey checking in congrats to all the new mummies and nat fight your corner thinking of you xxx

Flyer hugs flowers xxxx

This thread is not accepting new messages.