Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated Elderberries - Thread 8

(1000 Posts)
Cavort Sat 12-Oct-13 20:39:32

The over 30's expecting/just given birth to their first little bundle of joy. grin

Thread 8 already!!

Cavort Wed 04-Dec-13 08:46:31

Good news Janey. Lets hope it signals the end of your regression and normal service is resumed soon. smile

Go Alex! grin How many days over are you now?

I just tried her with some batons of sweet potato. She held them, squidged them into her clothes, threw them and did eventually bring them to her mouth and.... put them back down again without even tasting. And then she was getting tired so I gave up. So, attempt number one a failure. hmm

Alexandra6 Wed 04-Dec-13 07:44:38

Cross post but great news janey, and on the bright side if it is that he's a bit more comfy, it's good you realised and he's super comfy now.

Alexandra6 Wed 04-Dec-13 07:42:35

I'm pulling out all the stops today - DH and I dtd, I'm having pineapple cooked with chilli, going shopping this morning and for a long walk!

janey1234 Wed 04-Dec-13 07:41:09

So a much better night last night. Miles was up at 1.30, 2, 3, 6 and 7. I realise that doesn't sound great. However each time I put him back in his bed and he settled and went to sleep. Yay!!! It could be coincidence but I wondered whether his bed wasnt comfortable, and so put some fleece blankets under his sheet. Poor little mite, if he's better again tonight I'm going to really worry he's just been uncomfortable all this time....shock

(Do hurry up though baby Alex, I want to look at cute new baby photos!)

Alex - you can't always have the pessary, I had to be induced but was already over 5cm dilated, the pessary just makes your cervix dilate which obviously can start labour but if you're already dilated but still not in full labour the pessary would just fall out!

You're doing so well though! I was crying at a consultant begging her to make my back ache go away even before my due date! grin

Alexandra6 Tue 03-Dec-13 21:34:26

Just finished off my extra spicy pasta made with two large red chillies!

I know I can refuse induction altogether but I won't due to the risks, I've just been trying to work out what the risks are by waiting to 14 days over as policies seem to vary. cavort I feel absolutely fine, could carry on for another month pregnant physically but I think what's worrying me is how long before risks shoot up and what difference a day makes. Also I want to start with pessary when I am induced rather than straight to the drip but am not sure if that option is affected by waiting a bit longer, I might try and call the hospital tomorrow and speak to someone else there. I just don't want to put the baby at any unnecessary risk but at the same time want to give my body and the baby as long as I can reasonably give it before it gets risky.

Good news on the sleeping purple

Cavort Tue 03-Dec-13 21:24:12

RE solids, I am trying not to get my hopes up although can't help it, but I was chatting to a woman at Boogie Babies last week about our 2 hour nightly wake-up situation and she told me her first baby used to do the same until he started on solids and then started sleeping for 12 hours without waking up. Please PLEASE PLEASE let Elodie be the same!!

Cavort Tue 03-Dec-13 21:19:15

DH was against cosleeping but I think if it meant more sleep for us all he would happily go along with it now. And my boobs are too small to BF lying down so I have no choice but to wake/sit up. hmm

Ah yes I suppose I'm with you on that Janey - I wouldn't want her in bed with us all night if I could help it as I junk I'd always have one eye half open.

Cavort - she doesn't ever fall asleep for the evening until at least 10pm, sometimes even later so I think that's why she's started sleeping more at night. That and I think the solids are helping.

janey1234 Tue 03-Dec-13 21:13:48

Cross post cavort re cosleeping. If only it worked for us both hmm

Cavort Tue 03-Dec-13 21:07:31

I think it's a modern westernised ideal that babies should sleep alone, even though all mammals have evolved to cosleep with their young and that's all humans are at the end of the day. I would cosleep if I thought for a second that either of us would actually get any sleep!

Great sleeping Purple, I hope she keeps it up for you! Elodie regularly sleeps 7/8 hours without feeding but she is terrible at going to bed late so her 'sleeping through' only gets us to 4/5am. sad

Staying sober during last year's Christmas party season was bloody tough but when I read stuff like this I am very glad I did.

janey1234 Tue 03-Dec-13 21:07:21

I'd happily let him sleep with us if it meant we all slept, but it doesn't; I just can't sleep properly with him there. Hence am totally knackered. He used to want to come in at six for an hour or two which was fine, but being what feels like semi-conscious from 1am onwards is draining...

Alex as others have said it's totally up to you, you don't have to be induced at all. It's not something I would have done simply due to my age and the increased risks, but as long as you're aware of the potential, unlikely issues that might arise they're fine to let you make that choice.

Oh and we regularly make a rod for our own back and bring her into our bed if she won't settle too, that and we have morning cuddles in bed after she's woken up and had her first feed and we usually all nod off again for another hour. Best part if the day grin

With food we've tried baby rice/porridge, fruity yogurt/custard things, combos of potato/carrot/butternut squash mash, scrambled egg, cooked carrot sticks and cucumber sticks (no skin). Most of it has been happily scoffed though she always seems to pull a revolted 'ewww what Is THIS?!' Face for the first few spoons then merrily scoffs the lot.

Paediatrician wants me to up solids to try to fatten her up so I'm going to have to up my game, have bought avocado and courgette to try next.

Also, <whispers> she seems to be sleeping 12-7, please please don't let me have broken the magic spell by telling.

Cavort Tue 03-Dec-13 20:30:52

Alex I personally would delay induction as long as sensibly possible, but having said that I think by 2 weeks over you will be so fed up and desperate to get your invader out you might actually be quite keen on the idea of a helping hand. I was booked in for induction at 14 days over (13 days by my dates) and was quite relieved to have a definite end point, although obviously things never got that far. I know there are lots of scare stories about the drip, etc., but for plenty of women all they need is their waters breaking or a pessary to get things going so it's not necessarily inevitable that you'll need Syntocinon, and it's probably worth mentioning that the one person I know who ended up induced on the drip had a manageable 7 hour labour and a good birth - her own words. smile

Still haven't taken the plunge on solids yet as by the time I was ready to do it she was too tired and ready for bed. Tomorrow is the day and I am looking forward to seeing her first reaction. I have just read this really good and balanced article and it has made me decide to go straight in with (very soft) finger food.

BraveLilBear Tue 03-Dec-13 11:56:13

It's your choice Alex. You can refuse induction and opt for expectant management where they will monitor you every day to check baby is ok. I would have been in a similar position - my dates were 6 days out.

A midwife made it really clear to me that if it came to it (and she agreed with my concerns) and anyone tried to induce me that it was totally up to me and to send anyone else to her personally!

Alexandra6 Tue 03-Dec-13 11:39:47

Can I just ask if anyone has heard any info/views on waiting until 14 days after your due date to start induction to give the baby more time to come on its own? What complicates it a bit is I worked out my own due date (the day I ovulated and got my smiley digi stick plus two weeks) and that means I'd be only 11-13 days over (but obviously the midwife doesn't want to know about that, they go by their own date).

HazleNutt Tue 03-Dec-13 10:18:55

cavort it's a nice cup otherwise, Viki certainly prefers it over the Avent ones, so I bought another one. But yes, valve does come off.

As for foods, just purees for now. Well, baby rice, will try to mix a little pumpkin in today as well. He seems to like totally tasteless things, even another baby rice that I tried and that had a sweet taste wasn't acceptable, nor were carrots and bananas. Avocado was ok. Maybe will try zucchini next, that's also tasteless.

MotherOfCleo Tue 03-Dec-13 10:13:07

I decided Harvey might want to be in with us due to the extra warmth, when I put him down after his initial waking/feed at 4am he now gets an extra blanket, its working so far and he is sleeping till 7am rather than stirring at 6ish.

BlearyeyedLol Tue 03-Dec-13 09:49:32

Oh gawd maybe what we should do is all go on holiday together??? Then we could chat away for the whole night and keep each other company gringrin
I'm still considering myself lucky to be awoken 5/6 times but she goes to sleep again on boob and stays in her basket most nights. When she doesn't i leave her on my boob bed and don't even put up a fight. Too tired!

Cavort Tue 03-Dec-13 09:48:55

Are you guys offering finger foods/lumpy food or just blended/purees until after 6 months? Which foods have been a hit so far and which have been a firm no? So far my attempt at weaning involves buying a bowl, spoon, cup and a box of baby rice. My challenge for today is to buy some actual food!

Funny you should mention that cup Hazle as I had a wander into town yesterday to get some weaning basics and that's the cup I bought. I was washing it when I got home and did wonder if the valve could come off mid-drink. I will watch out for that.

Cavort Tue 03-Dec-13 09:28:08

Janey I have taken the following from one of the millions of baby sleep websites I have looked at in order to try to make sense of our 2 hour nightly wake up (which I still haven't). It sounds like it might go some way towards explaining what Miles is doing.

"The beginning of the night is your baby’s deepest sleep and after the first 5 hours (if not sooner, depending on just how challenging he is), he will cycle between light and deep sleep, but not as deep as the beginning of the night. Between 4-6 a.m., approximately, is the lightest sleep of the whole night (parents’ complaints alone make this true, in my experience, aside from my reading). In the very early morning hours (about 30 minutes to an hour before waking up), he will again go into the very deep sleep."

Last night I tried to see if Elodie would cosleep through the 2 hour wake up. No joy sad I just lay in the dark for 2 hours with a wriggly, cooing, rasberry blowing, wide awake baby. confused

Alexandra6 Tue 03-Dec-13 09:19:39

janey I think I'd just let him/her have its own way for a better night sleep?! I know it's probably asking for trouble later but as someone who was awake from half three onwards last night, I'm not sure I could be strict at that hour!

HazleNutt Tue 03-Dec-13 09:09:44

Little better here, as Viki sleeps in his co-sleeper most of the night, but usually around 5 also decides that this is not acceptable and won't fall asleep there any more. But will happily sleep til 7.30-8 if I lift him into our bed. So our bed it is.
Making a rod for my own back and so on, but getting up at 5 every morning after a few previous wakings is not really an option.

This thread is not accepting new messages.