Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

January 2014(Thread 10) - Getting out of breath!Don't forget to squeeze when you sneeze laydeez!

(1000 Posts)
Toothfairy78 Tue 01-Oct-13 22:04:25

Diddle-leee-deeeee. Diddle-lid-did-deee! It's the finaaaal countdown!

Oh yeah third trimester!

Hoping we bring space and idris with us....

Naturegirl82 Sat 26-Oct-13 19:50:03

Meant to ask is anyone having a second GTT? I had an early one done which was normal but midwife mentioned on Thursday booking in for a second one soon.

TarkaTheOtter Sat 26-Oct-13 20:05:52

nature I had a second in my last pregnancy as had an early one at 16 weeks due to glucose in urine which I passed. Had another at about 28weeks and failed.

chocoloulou33 Sat 26-Oct-13 23:23:44

Hi ladies. Hope ur all well
Had internet issues last week or so so trying to have a mega catch up now.
Hugs to nature humpty and whoever else is feeling a bit rraaaagghhhhh with the world.
I see lots of u talking about gestational diabetes. U all seem to know what ur talking about so thought I'd ask u for advice as my midwife is awful and cant be doing with talking to her for longer than 5 mins as she is always keen to rush me out door asap. Had mw weds. Was trace of glucose in urine. She said she'd check again in 2 weeks and if its still there will have to go for further tests. What does this involve? And is there anything I can do to stop having glucose in urine for next test? Sorry for silly questions but I didnt have any of this with dd.
Am hoping to go pram shopping this week and also thinking about the mothercare xpedia. Just seema best value for money. No way I'm going out spending crazy amounts. Am 30 weeks 2moro eek.

TobyLerone Sun 27-Oct-13 00:09:19

So it seems that a couple of hours walking around East London in heels was enough to tip my SPD from 'vaguely lurking in the background' to 'AAAARRRGGGHHHHHHH MY PELVIS IS ACTUALLY ON FIRE!' sad
The shoes I was wearing are now in the bin. I almost cried walking to the party, and then again on the way back to the station. I'm starving, having only eaten a peanut butter sandwich and a yogurt today, but too tired/in pain to get any food. DH has promised me mcd's breakfast tomorrow to make up for it smile

Don't forget to put your clocks back tonight, ladies!

TarkaTheOtter Sun 27-Oct-13 00:12:00

Hi choco! Urine in glucose isn't a reliable indicator of gd so don't worry too much. Could just be that you ate something sugary (or high GI like white bread etc) before you did the sample.
If they do find glucose in your next sample they might ask you to do a glucose tolerance test (gtt). This is done first thing in the morning before you have eaten. They take a blood sample, then make you drink a sugary drink, then two hours later they take another sample. It's a bit of a faff but not too awful.
I've had gd in both my pregnancies and have to diet, take tablets and inject insulin (although most people can just diet). It's a bit depressing but on the positive side it can be completely controlled (unlike pre-eclampsia for example) so I can't complain too much.

Naturegirl82 Sun 27-Oct-13 07:43:43

Well thought I would try and get an extra hours sleep but not to be. Oh well will get up and make use of the extra hour to clean instead.

Hope those with little ones didn't get woken up too early!

TobyLerone Sun 27-Oct-13 07:46:26

I'm awake too sad

I'm buggered if I'm spending the day doing cleaning, though!

Sultanajo Sun 27-Oct-13 07:52:12

Awake too! Day of sorting baby stuff for us! Yay! grin

chocoloulou33 Sun 27-Oct-13 08:12:46

Morning ladies. Thanks tarka for explaining all that to me. I am a chocoholic hence the name so best cut down even more than I had already.
Well the clocks going back didnt make any difference to my kids somehow and they got up at 7.30 so I was well impressed with that seeing as weekends they usually up at crack of dawn. Was expecting 5am this morning.
toby have u got a maternity belt u can wear when ur walking? I have one and it rly does help if im just out walking. No good if I have to sit down as it digs in and I have to take it off.
those of you having a day of sorting baby things then have fun. Cant wait to do that but gonna so it when I'm child free lol. We are going to the toby carvery today wooo hooo x

TobyLerone Sun 27-Oct-13 08:12:53

Maybe we will make some lists. I love lists!

TobyLerone Sun 27-Oct-13 08:16:35

No maternity belt, loulou sad
To be fair, I never walk anywhere! So I probably don't need one.
Once SPD flares up, does it settle down a bit if you rest it, or am I doomed to agony and no sleep for the next 10 weeks? It's been 13 years since I last had it and I've forgotten everything!

Enjoy the Toby carvery! I'm quite jealous. I've been craving a big roast for weeks. I've never been to a Toby carvery.

Naturegirl82 Sun 27-Oct-13 08:39:11

you would be ashamed if you could see the state of my house though toby! blush spent all week sorting it and it is only now just starting to look better so I can now access surfaces and floors for cleaning!

chocoloulou33 Sun 27-Oct-13 08:55:18

Am not sure toby I dont actually have spd so am not sure on that one. I just have v bad lower back like I did with dd. They not sure what it is exactly something to do with pregnancy hormones softening up everything too much. We go to the toby carvery a lot lol. Terrible rly but its so good its worth it x

TobyLerone Sun 27-Oct-13 09:26:54

Mine too, nature! It's a hovel. Tomorrow is another day... and the next day and the next day...

Toothfairy78 Sun 27-Oct-13 11:15:26

Gosh, get you lot with your clean houses and sorting! I'm impressed!

We had friends round for dinner last night. Have just managed to clear the kitchen enough to make homemade granola. This is how our kitchen works, it gets cleared just enough for me to make the next mess.

Must admit, this weekend I have succumbed and got one of those cantaloop belts to carry in my handbag for when it all gets too much. And ToothJr kicks me in the ribs if I slouch, then I go, "Oi!", then DH goes, "No slouching mummy!" shock

Have a nice Sunday all, whatever you're doing!

Naturegirl82 Sun 27-Oct-13 11:50:25

Well this morning hasn't quite gone as anticipated! Just woken up from a sleep blush I only sat down because I had calf cramp. Best go and do the food shop to stop me dozing off again!

TobyLerone Sun 27-Oct-13 12:18:58

Excellent work, nature!

We've just been out for McDonald's breakfast and to panic buy chocolate, Becks Blue and custard essential supplies for the storm, despite it being just a bit breezy and blue skies currently. Any excuse!

I've looked out all the torches and candles I can find. DH is working on his home server in case we have a power cut. I was going to finally make that roast I've been yearning for, but decided we can't risk a power cut in the middle of cooking it, so we're going out later to get Chinese for dinner. Shame grin

Sultanajo Sun 27-Oct-13 12:34:16

nature you soooo deserved your nap!

Omg Toby Carvery! How much am I craving that now!

Sorting baby stuff has gone well - have built the crib and cot and put them in place. However, the rest of the house now looks like a tip! grin

toby am loving your emergency rations! We are in the South and its been torrential rain showers and high winds so far.... really hoping we can make it to the hotel tomorrow for our anniversary! Will be gutted otherwise!

It has been an interesting morning - just as we finished building the cot I felt as though I was gonna throw up, followed quickly by that "omg am gonna pass out" feeling! Came out of nowhere. I couldnt put my head between my legs as I would have normally, so just sat on the stairs and hoped for the best! Scared the shit out of me! Spent the last half hour chilling on the sofa and thankfully felt bubs having a wriggle and now feel mega sleepy... Very odd! Have asked DH to reheat some bolognese for us - am hoping food will sort me out....wink

Naturegirl82 Sun 27-Oct-13 12:37:24

I love your essentials list Toby. If you looked out our windows you wouldn't think there was anything coming. Beautiful blue skies, sun and only the slightest breeze (which we generally have as live near the beach!). I'm dreading going to the supermarket. Hate it at the best of times but if it's busy it's a million times worse. Oh well will just have to fill the trolley with treats grin

TobyLerone Sun 27-Oct-13 12:43:11

Our Sainsbury's was pretty busy when we went, but only like the usual weekend busy.

Hope you feel better soon, Sultana. I had a bit of a spell like that at the party last night and it's horrid, isn't it. I just sat by the window and luckily it passed quickly. Don't do too much!

Mythreeknights Sun 27-Oct-13 13:00:46

Hi all, just wanted to give hugs to all those worried about gtt tests and scans. So, I spent most of Friday once I got back from London, on the sofa with the kids watching tv. Felt so 'dead' inside - I really couldn't move and was close to blacking out on occasion all day. Then yesterday dh gave me a lie in and I felt miles better but we had to leave at one pm to get to a wedding. About ten miles shy of the venue, we came across a road block (fatal car accident three hours earlier) and this being Scotland, we had to do an 80 mile detour to get to the venue, missing the wedding and taking us 3 hrs. As ds1 had been so ill last week with his uti, we cancelled our hotel and had childcare at home, so at ten pm, I drove us back, getting in just before midnight. Fell into bed but woke at about three am feeling really crampy, nauseous, and almost like I had trapped wind. Tummy wasn't too tight so I tried to mentally calm down and I did get back to sleep. Not sure if these were signs of preterm labour, but I then sent the morning in in bed, getting up at midday and now feel human again.
Now hoping to rediscover some baby things in the attic and get excited about it all a little!

Sultanajo Sun 27-Oct-13 13:04:25

Good luck nature! Hope the supermarket isnt as bad as u expect....

Toby yeah it really wasnt nice! I am still mega impressed you went last night! Are you feeling any less achey?

Sultanajo Sun 27-Oct-13 13:12:16

mythree poor you. After all your travels I can only imagine what a nightmare your wedding journey must have been! Great you have managed to get some rest....try and take it easy today if you can. I am finding it ridiculous how wiped out I get from doing the most menial physical activity these days, so I can only imagine how knackered you must have been feeling! shock

TobyLerone Sun 27-Oct-13 13:23:50

Mythree, the older I get, the more I am bothered by tiredness. This usually manifests itself as nausea and dizziness. It was probably that, and unsurprising after your nightmare day yesterday. You poor thing! Glad you're feeling more human today.

Thanks for asking, sultana. Still really sore but I plan on doing nothing (except going out to get the Chinese!) for the rest of the day.
I have a huge list of knitting to get through -- finishing the baby's cardigan, then making it a couple of hats, and DD wants a hat, as does my sister for my nephew, and DS wants handwarmers and as soon as he wears them to school/rugby I'll be inundated with orders from his friends if last year is anything to go by! So I've plenty to occupy myself while I'm sat on my arse grin

BandontheFun Sun 27-Oct-13 15:59:24

What's all this storm chat? ...is there a storm a coming?! Must look a weather news more often!! shock

Hope u are all well and the pregnancy isn't kicking ur ass too much...although the tiredness is definitely creeping back with me.

This thread is not accepting new messages.