Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2014(Thread 10) - Getting out of breath!Don't forget to squeeze when you sneeze laydeez!

(1000 Posts)
Toothfairy78 Tue 01-Oct-13 22:04:25

Diddle-leee-deeeee. Diddle-lid-did-deee! It's the finaaaal countdown!

Oh yeah third trimester!

Hoping we bring space and idris with us....

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 14:53:21

Oooh, really? I definitely need a changing bag, but haven't yet found one I don't hate.

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 02-Oct-13 14:58:38

Hello all smile

Space he looks adorable, dressed just right for his view of the sea! Just wanted to link you to Bliss if you haven't already heard of them. They offer support for families with premature babies both in neonatal and at home. Also Kangaroo Care for when he is a little bit bigger has a really positive effect for early babies.

Welcome dino smile

I have that Prince Lionheart Bear MrsV, it really helped with dd2 when she was little, she preferred the sea sounds setting to the heart beat sounds.

For all of those suffering with aches and pains, try not to worry too much, your body goes through some major changes in the third trimester and everything starts to stretch a lot. Ligament pain, uterine stretching pains, pelvic pain, fun, fun, fun. The end result is worth it though (although you may not think that at 3am when you have had 1/2 an hours sleep) grin

BookTart Wed 02-Oct-13 15:02:49

I don't understand why they are all so... Cath Kidston-esque toby. I know lots and lots of people love that sort of thing, but surely I can't be the only person that would rather have something black or just a bit funkier? Anyway, because I hate them all I bought the least offensive (to me) backpack one. My pram doesn't have much of a basket underneath and I don't want to hang the bag from the handle, so I needed a backpack one.

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 15:06:07

I'm wondering whether to just do without, and take a couple of spare nappies/wipes/change of clothes in my handbag. Or in the bag thing on the front of the pram. It doesn't have a handle that I can hang things on without some sort of hook, nor a basket.

When I had DS I just had a Nike backpack. It did the job perfectly well. I might do the same this time if I decide to get a bag at all. But I will look in TK Maxx anyway -- are they with the baby stuff or with the bags?

MrsVDB Wed 02-Oct-13 15:09:52

Ooh that's good another it just looked so lovely!

toby I think I'm planning to just use my handbag too as changing bags are u.g.l.y. Although when I realise the practical aspect of having a pooey nappy in my mulberry I may change my mind!

BookTart Wed 02-Oct-13 15:16:28

They are online in the handbag section toby. I'm not sure I've done the right thing, but I can't be arsed to think about it any more smile

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 15:18:57

Ah, ok. I thought you'd been in the shop.

If I had a Mulberry, I'd probably care more. As it is, I don't give a toss about handbags. Mine's from Sainsbury's grin

toby I've ditched changing bags this time. They are all either boring or twee (or cost £200, for what is basically a normal bag with a slightly plastic inside and a couple of funny shaped pockets).

I've bought a skip hop travel changing may which carries a few nappies/wipes, and will get a rucksack. Hell, I might even get two.

extracrunchy Wed 02-Oct-13 15:35:25

Changing bags are a gimmick!! Normal (biggish) handbag and slot in basic smaller bag with nappies and wipes in.

Space, Idris is ADORABLE. Congratulations again smile hope all's going well.

Frizz did you get through to MW?

MrsV glad all's good!

MrsGSR Wed 02-Oct-13 15:35:57

I'm planning to just use a backpack and a folding changing mat thing. I've seen a couple bags I like, but they are huge and expensive. Plus I figure a backpack will be better for bad backs and easier when carrying a baby!

TarkaTheOtter Wed 02-Oct-13 15:49:32

I've been thinking about ditching the changing bag and returning to just a handbag. I think I might wait until new baby is past the poo-nami phase though as I don't think my handbag will fit the important change of clothes required when they are little. My friend's 3 month old leaked twice while we were out for lunch yesterday.

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 02-Oct-13 15:59:58

Boots parenting club used to do a free changing bag when you bought nappies that I used for dd1 and dd2. When they are little you can get away with less if you are briefly popping out, but remember to pack a change of clothes in case of poonamis. I now use my free one from Cosatto, but if that doesn't last I will use a regular back pack. A back pack is also good if you are out with just the sling (until they are bigger and have to be worn on your back).

I had this buggy hook which was great, I must get another, DH broke it hanging 4 shopping bags full of food from it hmm.

I've got a change bag that my mum bought me, from Mamas and Papas. It's cream with navy stripes, canvas, satchel style, and has insulated pockets for cold/hot bottles, as well as a travel change mat & sealed/various pockets/inserts. It's not at all Cath Kidston, and I reckon DH could carry it without shame, sort of nautical if anything. £40.

Never used one before, so may well regret letting her spend her money!

Lalunya85 Wed 02-Oct-13 16:13:39

All this talk about MW today has made me phone up my local maternity helpline today. I've been feeling very little movement in the last week - and not all that much before then either! - and my bump is still tiny.

The mw said to come in, best today - but I can only make it first thing on Friday - it's just impossible with work and university to go any earlier... sad. Really nervous that something isn't right, especially worried about the lack of moves. Hate waiting!

MrsVDB Wed 02-Oct-13 16:23:27

layuna After the midwife poked my belly very hard I got quite a bit of movement, why don't you try that? Also a cold orange juice and then lie on your back generally works for me?

Lalunya85 Wed 02-Oct-13 16:47:14

mrsv - i can do the orange juice! but have been struggling to find time to actually relax in the last few weeks. maybe that's where i'm going wrong? It's really hard though, I feel like I'm totally behind in terms of getting stuff sorted, plus a full time job and a uni course starting twice a week...I'm a tad overwhelmed.

And blooody emotional recently too! I was lying in bed last night begging baby to send me a little kicking sign, and then s/he actually did the moment I asked for it, so I started crying like a madwoman. Was wonderful - but a rare treat...

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 02-Oct-13 16:49:04

Try not to worry lalunya baby still has lots room and may not be kicking forwards at the moment. When I want baby to move I drink a hot chocolate or have tea and biscuits and lie down, he usually wriggles a lot after that. If it is your first you probably have very good abdominals that mean your bump hasn't popped out as much yet. Also I have found that people taller than me tend to have smaller bumps, whereas I am only 5ft 1 so have massive bumps, so maybe more space? Just a theory though.

Lalunya85 Wed 02-Oct-13 16:53:29

thanks another, that's encouraging! Yes, it is my first and I was quite active before pregnancy, and still do quite a bit of cycling and swimming now, so my muscles are probably quite tight. I can accept the small bump - although people pointing it out ALL the time like they know anything about pregnancy really gets to me! I've had to stop myself a few times from metaphorically slapping them in the face. I just think: I'm not commenting on your weight either, am I?! What gives you the right to comment on my body shape?? Bloody cheek!

I've just had a hot chocolate at work actually smile, will observe if bubs starts moving more...

Anyone else need a holiday?

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 16:58:44

Oh, a holiday would be so lovely! It's my birthday next week and I'm hoping DH might take me away for a night or something as my present. It's not like I need anything else!

Lalunya85 Wed 02-Oct-13 17:01:00

Birthday treats! How about a day in a spa?! Groupon has some great deals, just saying... wink I reckon we all deserve that!

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 17:04:18

I handed in my 'girly card' a while ago -- I loathe spa treatments and anything 'pampering'.

At my old work, the (female) boss had the bright idea of taking all the 'girlies' on a spa day and sending all the 'boys' on a go-karting day. Guess who went go-karting grin

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 02-Oct-13 17:08:59

I had great fun donutting at a ski centre when pregnant with dd2 (earlier on though) Toby.

I wouldn't mind a foot massage though, with the school run, shopping and taking dd2 to the park I seem to spend a lot of time walking or on my feet.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 02-Oct-13 17:20:08

lalunya I'm still in regular clothes and people don't notice I'm pregnant but had a growth scan at 24 weeks and baby is absolutely average. So bump size not a good indicator of baby size, at least at this stage.
<definitely not because I have strong stomach muscles though. Just tall>

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 17:22:16

Sounds like fun, Another! It's DS's birthday in a couple of weeks. He'll be 14. I would love to take him somewhere like Go Ape, or paintballing like last year, but I can't imagine they'd let me on the premises. Also, DH would do a catsbum mouth like you wouldn't believe (although he wouldn't dare say anything!)

I just make DH do foot massages. I'm actually a qualified reflexologist, but I can barely reach my feet, let alone massage them!

MrsVDB Wed 02-Oct-13 17:23:48

layluna I definitely feel loads more kicks when I've been lieing on my side for a while, probably why I felt so much more movement while I was on holiday and less so when I'm back at work. After 2 days at home I'm led on sofa now and feeling big ones now. When I was only starting to feel them a few weeks ago it helped if I led on my front in the bath, worth a try?

This thread is not accepting new messages.