Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2013 - waddling slowly onwards

(988 Posts)
LadyMedea Mon 30-Sep-13 19:26:36

Our new thread!

Stom91 Tue 01-Oct-13 13:37:20

Im ok at giving the blood they just can't find the vein... Iget it from my dad.. Hes bbeen to the nurse 3 times and been stabbed in both arms each time and nothing comes out he's tried drink loads and all sorts x

Roselau Tue 01-Oct-13 13:38:01

woah this thread is just going so fast! sorry I've definitely missed some parts.
whisper i'm so sorry you're in so much pain! do you know why? it seems awful
mum a few weeks ago, i had about 10 days of the exact same thing. I read that it could be the vitamins (but I hadn't changed vitamins I was taking) or that it could actually be a different form of constipation where everything doesn't come out when you have to go so it just feels like you have to go all the time and it's loose as a result. It was right around my 25 week check-in with the GP and he basically said: don't worry about it, it's normal in pregnancy... not very useful, but it did go away.

So my mom is here to help me out in my last week here. it's nice because she's running all my errands, making me food, cleaning, etc. But psychologically it's really hard. She managed to tell me casually this morning that she really doesn't see me as a mom. I didn't really need this, I have enough things to stress me out at the moment. but she just doesn't realize it. I know people say that they want their mom around when the baby is born, but I'm not sure the physical help makes up for the psychological abuse to be honest.

28 wk mw check-in tomorrow. have no idea what to expect. no one has ever mention GTT to me. I dont know if I want to get the whooping cough shot so close to taking the flight in case there are some side effects. MW has been pretty useless so far - only the second time I'm seeing her this whole pregnancy - so I'm not expecting much. How come some people are having growth scans at 28 wks? I was told my next scan was around 33 wks?

mumoftwoboysS Tue 01-Oct-13 13:47:16

I completely forgot to ask my mw about the whooping cough jab and she didn't mention it!

rose yeah it's hard to know if it due to the vits or just a pregnancy 'one of those things' I do get IBS on and off so it could also be that triggered (usually by too much bread/wheat) and I did have a pizza last Friday (the biggest culprit but I was feeling good so thought what the hell) if staying off the vits for a few days doesn't help I'll try cutting out wheat (which I hate doing- wheat free bread is pretty gross) then see the doc if it's still not better.

mumoftwoboysS Tue 01-Oct-13 13:49:34

Oh and nom I found a quilting course not far away but they are charging £420 for it! Henley & Maslow are about an hour away- too far for an evening course unfortunately! Think I'll just try YouTube tutorials and self teaching and see how I go! Also want to learn to make/see other stuff and found a local course but it's already started so may have to wait till next year now.

Chilli81 Tue 01-Oct-13 14:01:16

Nom thanks so much for the sling advice. I bought a stretchy material one last time but didn't get on with it (partly because it was mid-summer and it made me so sweaty. Hopefully with a winter baby it will be better. I also ended up getting an ergo when DS1 was bout 6 months old. I have heard you can get a baby insert for them. Any views on that?
Rose I think it's worth finding out whether there have been outbreaks of Whooping Cough where you are moving to as that vaccine is to protect the baby once he's born (whereas the flu jab is for us during pregnancy iykwim. I think it's fairly recent that it's given here because of recent outbreak. I have to say I had my flu jab and WC jab on Friday and had no real symptoms apart from a bruised arm from the WC one.
Stom and whisper sorry to hear your backs are hurting. Have you tried doing child's pose to stretch out the lower back, bum and hips? I helps me loads.

froubylou Tue 01-Oct-13 14:44:59

Hello all

Just marking place and back later after school run!

LadyMedea Tue 01-Oct-13 15:25:39

I'd never touched a sewing machine until about 2 years ago but now I love quilting. I've made four crib quilts for friend's babies and a snuggle size quilt for the sofa.

I taught myself following tutorials on the internet so you don't necessarily need a class. I'd suggest starting with a kit for a pillow case. Even if it comes out less than perfect they still look lovely.

Clothing is the next thing I want to learn...

Wow, loads to catch up on!

Sorry to hear about those of you struggling with aches and pains, the pain in my hips that I was getting at night seems to be a bit easier these days not that I'm getting any more sleep

I am so glad I've only got 3 weeks left to work, all day today I got nothing but grief, normally it doesn't get to me but it did today, I had a pounding headache when I finished and it's a good job I wasn't getting my blood pressure checked! grin

Featherbag Tue 01-Oct-13 21:39:52

God, I am so utterly fucking knackered it defies belief. I woke at 2.30 this morning after 3 hours of sleep as I was being booted in the bladder, then lay awake until 4.20 worrying about things. Like, what if that pain wasn't baby kicking, what if it was the start of labour? Does the bed feel damp, have my waters started leaking, or is it just a cold patch on the sheet (it was just cold)? What will I do if I do go into labour in the next 4 weeks, at what point do I decide the risks to me from a VD are greater than the risks to baby from a CS? Ridiculous. Then DS woke up at 4.30 demanding to be in our bed, and by the time I got back to sleep I got 10 minutes before the alarm went off at 6 for my 12th shift before mat leave starts. Only 5 to go before another week's hols.

Then I got wrong off matron for not leaving my converse on instead of putting my black trainers on - my heartburn was so bad I hadn't dared bend forward to change shoes when I got to work! My head's stotting, and now DH is being nearly with me for being a bit ranty and slightly less than overjoyed with life when I got in half an hour ago. I hate being pregnant, gggrrrrrrrrr!!!

Featherbag Tue 01-Oct-13 21:40:53

Got wrong for leaving the converse on, not for not leaving them on!

Featherbag Tue 01-Oct-13 21:41:23

And DH is being narky, not nearly. Gah, I give up.

MildredH Tue 01-Oct-13 21:43:48

Feeling a bit less grumbly after a nice relaxed day off. Had a 3D scan this eve so got to say hi to Gizmo again which was a good reminder of why I'm having all these niggles!

Nom- thank you so much for the Lilypadz suggestion- mine arrives yesterday and I wore them for the first time today. So much more comfy than the sweaty old pads! Did have a small collection of liquid in them at the end of the day which I've just washed away- do you think I've applied them right?

Lisa- I had a day of feeling sniffly after my whooping cough jab.. Thought was coming down with something but luckily after a good sleep I felt much better the next day..

Chilli- I think you're right. This could well be SPD. I've only got 2 more weeks of work which I really want to get through. I'm a hospital doctor and still on the on call rota so on my feet all day. Does anyone know if carrying on working will make things worse? I think if I can just grit my teeth and get through it but obvs don't want to make anything worse..

Am going to go back to GP about physio referral I think.. Maybe ask MW- I don't know whether she maybe able to refer me?

MildredH Tue 01-Oct-13 21:59:51

Aw sorry cross posted with you Feather. Tell your matron to stick it- your Hosp must be running v smoothly if your footwear is all she's got to worry about!

A few weeks back I was accosted by some member of hospital management who told me I must wear a bumbag emblazoned with the trust logo. Apparently compulsory for all doctors. Not 7 month pregnant ones I told him. We had words. Nothing like knowing you're leaving in 2 weeks to make you not care what the "bosses" think.. Grrrr angry.

NomDeClavier Tue 01-Oct-13 22:13:12

Oh wow your trust is so fashionable mildred! Bumbags are not a good look. Re: lilypadz when you apply them you need to turn them inside out, the jab your finger with the pad on onto your nipple to push it in and smooth the rest so it create a seal. There is likely to be a tiny bit of leakage into the space it can't seal but it shouldn't escape.

feather I understood your rant <soothes stressed pregnant lady> DH is being unreasonable. Pregnancy is an excuse for being ranty, as is a crap day at work.

LadyMedea Tue 01-Oct-13 22:19:34

Hey mildred just ring your midwife and explain your symptoms and she'll refer you I would think, that is what mine did ... And yes standing will make it worse from my experience!

I've heard nowt about my physio referral and it's been ten days.... I think I might ring the physio dept tomorrow.

13loki Tue 01-Oct-13 22:53:22

Sat up late (it's almost mdnight here) marking because last week I had a day off with sick child, so am behind. Then we had an IT blackout at work, so I couldn't mark because I had no internet to translate the kids test answers, and no system to put the results into. Will be shattered tomorrow, bt have booked computer room for half my lessons, a video for another, so just have to deal with one experiment. 16 teaching days left (plus a total of 2 days inset) until holidays and then maternity leave.

The 37 week pregnant lady at work came and had unch with me "because we are both massive" Gee, thanks. I am measuring big, but it's nice that my bump has a strong enough gravitational field to pull in others!

Featherbag Tue 01-Oct-13 23:28:16

Nice to hear you've had a good scan Mildred! Does your trust not have self-referral to Physio via occ health? Most of the ones I know do, I just had to call and quote the magic 'P' word and got an appointment in 3 days!

kitty213 Wed 02-Oct-13 02:27:23

Hi everyone, i have just signed up to mumsnet, is this the club for being due in december?

I have just been to the hospital after having reduced fetal movement but heartbeat was great, they have asked me to go in tomorrow for a growth scan tho because my bump is measuring smaller than last time it was measured. Has this happened to anyone else? I will update tomorrow on what they say, hopefully everything is ok, first time pregnant so am worrying over it a lot confused

PinkWitch803 Wed 02-Oct-13 02:58:45

Hello kitty,

welcome. I don't have any experience of growth scans yet, but wanted to extend a supportive arm at 2:30 am!

my dp is sleeping with a cold, which means that I don't get to sleep at all.

I am just about to head to the sofa!

PinkWitch803 Wed 02-Oct-13 03:01:07

I currently have the baby adjusting position on the front and dp elbowing me from the back - and who said sleeping on the left was best!

ccsays Wed 02-Oct-13 05:25:04

Aah buggery bollocks. Guess I'm in the 5am club now then sad

MildredH Wed 02-Oct-13 06:29:10

Oh cc- me too!! Didn't think to look ok here for company as I assumed 'twas only me!

Been lying in bed for an hour trying not to wake DH. In the end got too hungry and have had to get up for some bran flakes!

MildredH Wed 02-Oct-13 06:32:53

Feather- sorry if I'm being dense.. What's the p word??

Pain?
Pubis?
Pelvis?

Argh!?

Will try our OH today but going on prev experience I shan't hold my breath!

Due to be on call today, Fri, Sat and Sun. Worried about 3 days on call on trot. Going to see medical staffing today to see whether they could maybe cover one of the weekend days with locum. Pretty sure they'll say bog off!

ccsays Wed 02-Oct-13 06:47:09

Copied and pasted from the night owl thread:

'I've been awake since four, went down to switch on the broadband at five. DP said "so I guess you're not sleeping then? I might start spending the odd night in the spare room, I've only had about two hours sleep". Me: "Why don't you go through just now? You've still got two hours before you have to get up". DP (sulkily): There's no point now" 5 mins of huffing later Me: "please just go through and get some sleep"

He's lovely the rest of the time, but gets SOOOO huffy when I keep him awake with my tossing and turning. It's not my fault he can get woken by a sparrow farting two miles away the slightest noise. And the sleep martyr bit ("noooo, it's fine! I'll just lie here and suffer!") drives me up the wall.'

Since posting that the cat has been going mental so I'm pretty sure he's awake now. I might make him some porridge and a coffee, I feel quite guilty. (The cat automatically becomes 'your cat' when he's being a shit, as opposed to 'the cat')

Also, I think the p word is pregnant Mildred grin

MildredH Wed 02-Oct-13 06:56:20

Oh- pregnant. Yes. That's fairly obvious isn't it! Yeesh. I wonder if physio could do anything for my brain whilst I'm there. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now