Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

MARTIANS 2014 - Thread 9: Heartbeats, hormones and more Gregg's pasties than you can shake a stick at!

(1001 Posts)
greymoose Sat 21-Sep-13 08:29:21

Old thread!

Stats spreadsheet thanks to MTB

If you want to join the Facebook pm me your link and I'll get you added!

Welcome Martians!

BadlyWrittenPoem Sat 21-Sep-13 11:07:41

Welcome kara.

Jolleigh Sat 21-Sep-13 11:08:56

Welcome karam

Who on earth is tynecorbusier and what did they say worthy of deletion? I was wondering if I'd stumbled on the wrong thread then!

justmuddlingthroughit Sat 21-Sep-13 11:12:12

Welcome kara! Enjoy your shopping trip. I'm not quite into maternity stuff yet, but have put a bit of weight on. At the moment I just look a bit chunky, so am greatly looking forward to having an actual bump!

Joll it was just a spam post. Nothing too exciting!

Welcome Kara is this your first?

justmuddlingthroughit Sat 21-Sep-13 11:14:16

jolls, it was a spambot. Something in very poor English about the amount of money that can be earned doing....something? They do cheese me off a little angry

x0gawjus0x Sat 21-Sep-13 11:15:05

Have prepared dinner yumyum :D marinaded chicken consisting of coconut milk lots of garlic red chilli tumric ginger and mustard seeds ;) om nom nom.

Still completely off sex and dp getting a but fed up and offended feel mean really id feel horrible if it was the othr way round :/

karamcleod Sat 21-Sep-13 11:22:34

Yes baby number 1, pretty sick of being pregnant wish baby was here sooner! Miss my flat tummy, miss sex, nicotine and alcohol, been craving rare steak and still throwing up at least 4 times a day. Oh and have no job because I'm pregnant and spent all OH money on baby things to cheer myself up!

Ahhh that feels better now its out. Sorry to offload on you lot but I feel better already! smile

lumpylumps Sat 21-Sep-13 11:45:06

Morning all!!! I've found the book my gran in law gave me. "Mothercraft" dated 1945. So, those still suffering from ms keep the bowels comfortably evacuated but take no drastic purgatives. Delete fats altogether and increase the natural sugar intake. Take no meat till the bowel s are regulated then gradually introduce organs of animals, such as liver, brains, sweetbreads, tripe etc.

Stay outside in the open air as much as possible. It is just as easy to peel the potatoes and shell the peas out in the garden or on the porch.

Prepare the breasts for feeding. Two months before baby's birth, start scrubbing the nipples with a soft nail brush, using a harder one as they become less tender.

sunshinemeg Sat 21-Sep-13 11:45:50

Welcome kara. I'm due march 4th so close to you. This group is lovely and have welcomed me in very recently. It is a very fast moving thread though so good luck keeping up x

Lumpy, that's good advice about the breasts. Toughening the nipples before the birth can help avoid pain/discomfort when you start feeding.

Welcome Kara smile

Bastard DP has been "dying" of manflu and because he's been sneezing and coughing everywhere it was only a matter of time before I caught it. Lo and behold, tingly runny nose and sore throat this morning. Just what I need when I have to stand in the cold watching DS2 playing Little League football. Bah.

Mummy, I've seen your pictures on fb and I'm amazed your weight is even an issue for the midwives. You don't look especially large to me.

karamcleod Sat 21-Sep-13 11:56:33

Thank you everyone for being so welcoming, it will be good to have some preggers women to chat to... That is if I can keep up! smile hopefully my broadband will be back up and running soon as my blackberry takes 3 million years to load a page :/ never mind, its lovely to meet you all and i Will hopefully manage to catch up with all you lovely mummies/mummytobe's later! grin

Jolleigh Sat 21-Sep-13 11:56:49

Tell me about it kara - my vagina is going yp heal over if I don't get laid soon.

And I miss cigs. Did give it to my rare steak craving the other day though.

IceNoSlice Sat 21-Sep-13 12:08:21

Welcome kara.

Feel a bit blush admitting this because I was banging on before about hating shopping but- I was in the middle of Brum for a client meeting on Thurs and popped into the ginormous H&M in the bullring after. I found one nice mat top (sort of knotted at the cleavage area) and also bought a couple of stretchy non mat tops a size bigger that normal. I figured that so long as they're long and stretchy they'll do this middle looking-porky-rather-than-preggers stage. And as everything in H&M seems to cost £7, not breaking the bank either.

PainAuxRaisins Sat 21-Sep-13 12:14:39

Scrubbing the nipples with a hard nailbrush??? It's right up there with perineal massage - you know you ought to do it to make things easier later on but it just seems like one more horrible thing to do to make pregnancy even less enjoyable. Think I'll skip it. Welcome to kara. I might do a mummypig today and get my hair done - fed up of looking revolting. Anyone else's hair growing superfast and looking a bit 'bushy'?

RaspberrysAndIcecream Sat 21-Sep-13 12:16:26

Welcome Kara!

Can anyone tell me where u got ur bounty pack from? I haven't had one - I want one!!! blush

lumpylumps Sat 21-Sep-13 12:19:03

Sorry, welcome Kara we're due date buddies!!!!!

Pantomime Sat 21-Sep-13 13:17:12

For those with the bmi blues like me (size 16 and my bmi says I'm obese)
do please bear in mind that the bmi was invented in sometime between 1840 and 1850. It is known for not really being accurate, for example rugby players are considered obese... It doesn't really take in to account things like muscle mass or body frame size and is only really good for people of an average build. Its an overly simplified formula for something that is a lot more complicated.

That said I could do with loosing a bit of weight, I think I will try swimming.

Also my bounty pack sucked. No freebies just adverts, I got a sofa catalogue and stuff like that.

BadlyWrittenPoem Sat 21-Sep-13 13:29:44

I'd forgotten about the Bounty Pack as I just stuck all the bumph as I was given at booking out of the way somewhere. I hate reading all that "you should be glowing" rubbish and all the healthy eating stuff and the general patronising tone of the books. (Although DH generally tells me I'm being unreasonable when I rant about them to him.)

Mummy I am 5'3 and 14.5 stone and my BMI is still only just over 1 point outside the range for the MLU. Im sure you will be fine. you can always argue anyway. Threaten a homebirth and see if they compromise. They should also take lots of factors into account. If you are healthy, not diabetic, have decent sized hips, have had other normal deliveries, and a multitude of other things are relevant. If there is a perceived problem now, keep an open mind and see what develops. I was strongly for a MLU delivery until recently, but it looks like possible issues with the baby might well take precedence. Frustrating as it is when you want to deliver a certain way, a healthy baby is more important.

Beccadugs Sat 21-Sep-13 13:51:42

Afternoon all!

We too have been car shopping, and I think we might have bought a second hand Ford Focus Estate! We have a lovely little C3, but the dog and the baby is going to be a bit much to handle. One or the other would be fine, but I love the dog too much! I've had my C3 from new, so will be sad to see him go... Is it odd to feel emotional over a car?

I've also been to Iceland and had Greggs corned beef pasties for lunch. Utter bliss.

Beccadugs Sat 21-Sep-13 13:53:14

Ps welcome Kara!

And don't worry mummypig, I am in the same position and am going to push for midwife led!

HotCrossPun Sat 21-Sep-13 13:54:50

Our last thread had 1002 messages? How did that happen!

I'm so stressed out/annoyed. The pains in my stomach carried on all last night. I went to bed early, work up with diarrhea. Managed to get back to sleep and when I woke up this morning the pains were still there, and now I've got a achy back as well.

I'm trying so, so hard not to think the worst. I'm not bleeding. So I thought I'd just sit tight and rest for the day.

DP, who is normally unfailingly considerate and supportive, has had some kind of personality transplant overnight and turned into an arse-bag!

He was asking me how the pain was etc and I told him it was still there, and I was going to rest etc. He can't understand why I was reluctant to phone the midwife. Am I right in thinking that if the worst was happening, there is feck all they can do? And if I'm not bleeding they would just say stay and home and let us know if anything changes?

He said he thought I was being silly and that I should phone up. Written down that actually doesn't sound like he was being an arsebag, but it's so out of character for him not to just agree with me and be comforting.

Anyway, I phoned NHS24 and somebody is going to phone me back.

Sorry for the rant everyone. This is the first time throughout this whole pregnancy that I have felt really worried that it might not all work out.

babybear9 Sat 21-Sep-13 14:07:17

mummypig Im sure you will be fine with being a size 16 if no other issues? I had a consultant appointment last week (same as you - letter with no other info), but she was really lovely. I said that i had wanted a water birth and she said that if i had no problems nearer the time and the midwives were happy then she had no issue with it. Im a lot bigger than you, i dream of being only a size 16 again! Fingers crossed you can still have the birth you want.

Hotcross, you're right, they will just tell you to wait and see and go to A&E if there's any bleeding/the pain gets worse. If it's any comfort, I have been having low abdominal pain, like period cramps, on and off, for a day or two at a time. I just put it down to my uterus stretching and growing. Baby seems fine so I try not to worry.

Prambo Sat 21-Sep-13 15:06:46

Hottie, read this from the baby app (week 17):

'In the pain department: you will invariably experience "round ligament pain" (aka "it feels like someone stomped on my crotch and uterus in steel-toed construction boots").
Round ligament pain is typically experienced as aching and/or stabbing pains in the lower stomach and pelvic region and is most often reported at the end of the day.
This fabulous addition the to the symptom train is sigh totally normal and caused by the stretching of ligaments and muscles that support your ever-growing uterus.
Sleep Tip To Cope: Doctors advise sleeping on your left side, as lying on your back can compress your pelvic veins, decreasing blood flow to the lower half of your body. Lying on your left side relieves this pressure thereby allowing normal blood flow.
If this doesn't do the trick, go ahead and consult your health care practitioner, but try not to punch them when they serenely tell you it's normal to feel stabbing pain during this time. As we all know, violence never solves anything!'

Please try not to worry; it really does sound like some women will find these weeks rather painful down below.

Welcome, Karma.

Ice, yes! Up at the bastard crack of dawn this morning (8.45am). House-hunting again but this time with the hired car and th'usband by my side it was a much more pleasant experience. We really want the ex-council house with fab views and canal-side location but the price needs to come down. We'll have an answer to my demands our offer on Monday.

This thread is not accepting new messages.