Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

MARTIANS 2014 - Thread 9: Heartbeats, hormones and more Gregg's pasties than you can shake a stick at!

(1001 Posts)
greymoose Sat 21-Sep-13 08:29:21

Old thread!

Stats spreadsheet thanks to MTB

If you want to join the Facebook pm me your link and I'll get you added!

Welcome Martians!

Wonder77 Sat 21-Sep-13 09:29:01

mummypig try not to worry. Size 16 isn't huge so surely you'll be ok. Don't let that spoil your pregnancy - enjoy it.

commsgirl Sat 21-Sep-13 09:29:34

Mummy you don't know it's that for sure yet, and even if it us they will be able to discuss your options with you and give you the best advice. One step at a time smile

Mummy I have to see a consultant too! but I've been reassured that this in one way means I won't be able to labour in the birth centre. I need to go because of the IVF. It more of a box-ticking routine appointment. Maybe this is what yours is? If your BMI was a little high, then you automatically have to go. Then if they are happy, they may discharge you again. I think all worries are heightened at the moment, it's so hard to be level headed smile

Morning all!

I can't remember who had a cold, but boo. You can suck some lozenges if it helps. And maybe a steam bath might unblock you? I would only ever take a pregnancy multivitamin, I wouldn't take higher levels of anything else. Mainly because your body can't absorb them!

Gawj pregnancy hormones are great aren't they wink

Good luck on the car hunt Sun! We just got a family car too. DH is it there cleaning it now he's an obsessed petrol head

Edamame Sat 21-Sep-13 09:34:32

MummyP, don't forget that ultimately it's your choice where and how to give birth. Of course your will be advised by various people, sometimes quite forcefully, to do one thing or another but the decision is yours. You'll do the right thing either way.

sunshinemeg Sat 21-Sep-13 09:36:42

Mummy - I saw a consultant due to my BMI. Nothing else said so don't let the 'NHS fattists' as Pram wonderfully called them get you down!

Women have been having children for thousands of years, all different shapes sizes and backgrounds. I am sure anyone wanting to discuss pregnancy and how to give their child a good start is going to be great, isn't that why we are here? wink

Edamame Sat 21-Sep-13 09:44:46

Raspberry, is it work clothes you're after?

Gawj - I watched Midwives on iPlayer last night and blubbed every time a baby came out. The Ukranian one was sooo soothing!

Rockchick1984 Sat 21-Sep-13 09:48:19

Mummy I thought you were going to say a size 24 or something, 16 isn't big at all (unless you're only 4ft tall...) I would push for the birth you want, pretty sure that your own personal history is more important than statistics!

Jolleigh Sat 21-Sep-13 09:49:18

Mummy - I'm in the same situation as you...I even want to give birth in the midwife led unit! It's not a flat out no at this stage (or at least I've been told it isn't for me) but your consultant needs to make the call. Just keep this in mind - it's not unknown for heroin addicts to give birth to healthy babies. The fact that you're not just sweeping your weight under the carpet as being irrelevant is a fantastic thing because it means you're already that protective of your baby grin

Ice - great advice. I'm a bit like you in the sense that if I didn't even look into it, I'd be majorly pissed with myself. It really is a great opportunity, but I have to weigh it in against my stress levels.

Hope everybody is feeling ok this morning. I also seem incapable of a lie in recently (my idea of a lie in means I wake when the clock is into double digits) but I suppose motherhood is unlikely to let me sleep as late as I'm waking at weekends now so I'll have to learn to stop complaining.

Dog just stood on my womb while playing with me- bloody hurt.

IceNoSlice Sat 21-Sep-13 10:15:11

Mummypig try to put it out of your mind until you can ring on Monday. Don't mean to sound dismissive but you are probably worrying unnecessarily smile

pram bloody hell you're up early! wink And you seem in a very good mood today! Happy Saturday folks

RaspberrysAndIcecream Sat 21-Sep-13 10:20:00

edam yes some work trousers - but it's for my job in a reception class - so nothing to smart needed!! But must be washable - yesterday I ended up with paint on me, pva glue and chocolate (after one child was given some to stop it crying as its mum was leaving ..... hmm )
Also need another pair of jeans and maybe a couple of tops. I'd love a denim skirt (knee length, dark denim colour) if anyone sees one?!!

tynecorbusier Sat 21-Sep-13 10:25:02

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

tynecorbusier Sat 21-Sep-13 10:25:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

justmuddlingthroughit Sat 21-Sep-13 10:29:44

Ooh, new thread! Again! I love that we're such a bunch of gobshites grin. Although now every time I look at the thread I will crave steak bakes and cum-of-archangel-Gabriel doughnuts (thank you pram wink)...

mummypig; prambo and jolleigh are exactly right. You're not sweeping your issue under the carpet, you are thinking of your baby's health, and you are certainly not alone in wishing that you'd somehow 'sorted all this out' before getting pregnant. But you are not significantly overweight; at size 16 you can't be much above a BMI of 25. I think that the NHS just get very over- anxious about anything that might affect you or your baby, basically just to cover themselves. Far bigger women than you have had perfectly healthy babies.

sunshine, we have a 10 year old ford focus, and it's great! Plenty of space for children and general crap, plus we drove ours all over the uk earlier this year (did about 1500 miles in two weeks), with not a single problem.

Does anyone know if we need to call our GP to book the flu shot, or do we get a letter to tell us when to go in?

justmuddlingthroughit Sat 21-Sep-13 10:31:32

tynecorbusier, kindly fuck the fuck off.

Just that spam is everywhere! We've been infiltrated!

Not sure about the flu jab. I assumed we'd be sent a letter, but will check at my next MW appointment.

BadlyWrittenPoem Sat 21-Sep-13 10:48:39

Just catching up from the old thread...

Grey I don't get why people would post pondering about whether they are pregnant instead of just doing a test - a test can tell you the answer but a bunch of random people on a forum can't.

Mummypig consultant care doesn't necessarily mean you can't give birth in a birth centre. I'm not up on the detail of risks for high BMI as I have the opposite problem (I am under consultant care for low BMI) but the things that can make birth high risk are not all exactly the same as those that make a pregnancy high risk. I have been under consultant care in various pregnancies for about four different reasons but none of them have been considered impediments for a home birth. Also, in the NICE guidance for some things there is a range where "individual assessment" is suggested rather than a blanket "should give birth in a consultant led unit" so it's possible that there may be scope for negotiation or that a MLU attached to a CLU would be an option so that transfer could be rapid if needed. (Obviously I'm don't know what options you will have but just saying that you may still have options.)

SoSurprised Sat 21-Sep-13 10:54:21

Mummy size 16 isn't huge, dnt let it get you down.

I just got my quad test results back. 1 in 18000 risk for Down's so low risk thank God.

I have been having lower abdominal pains, they are not severe. Wondering if it's gas or something more serious and if I should call midwife

MummyPig24 Sat 21-Sep-13 10:57:05

Thank you so much for the reassurance. This is just why I love you lot!! I'm not 4ft tall thankfully! I really, really want to have this baby in the small, midwife led hospital. I know that anything can go wrong with any birth but hopefully things will be straight forward like my previous births. When I booked in with the midwife she ticked the risk factors and the only one was my bmi and she said I was very healthy and have a great family health history. Hopefully this will be taken into account.

I'm going to get my hair cut in a minute then I'm taking the kids to my friends babys 1st birthday party, her 5yr old is ds best friend so I'm sure they can be naughty together cos ds is being a right moody pants today!

BadlyWrittenPoem Sat 21-Sep-13 10:57:38

Just finished catching up now. Mummy it doesn't sound like you are masively overweight so it might well be that you get discharged back to MW care anyway - I did in one pregnancy where the MW actually said, "I don't think you need it but I have to refer you."

SoSurprised Sat 21-Sep-13 10:59:25

justmuddlingthroughit I got an SMS to book an appointment and then called the surgery to arrange the vaccination

karamcleod Sat 21-Sep-13 10:59:37

Is this thread for mummies of march babies and if its can I join? New to mumsnet but very excited for my baby to be here! (Due 6th March) I'm also off maternity clothes shopping today a big fat belly has appeared from nowhere! Not sure if it looks like a bump or a beer belly yet but ho-hum!

BadlyWrittenPoem Sat 21-Sep-13 11:00:51

Also, most people have things which might affect their children's health - my poor children are at risk of a stack load of allergies and hyperemesis gravidarum and short sightedness due to a combination of mine and DH's medical/family history. I know weight is supposedly something that you can control unlike hereditary medical conditions but I also know from experience that it isn't always that simple.

SoSurprised Sat 21-Sep-13 11:05:57

Welcome karamcleod we are a very chatty bunch smile. If you spot any good work maternity clothes please update here

commsgirl Sat 21-Sep-13 11:07:07

Hi kara smile

BadlyWrittenPoem Sat 21-Sep-13 11:07:27

I do have a slight bump now (15 weeks) but because I'm so thin usually it just makes me look like a normal person so nobody would notice it unless they had been observant enough to notice what I am like usually.

This thread is not accepting new messages.