Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2014 - Thread 2 or 3 depending on which way you count!

(994 Posts)
LeeHandy Tue 17-Sep-13 17:57:20

Hello ladies.. the previous thread is almost full so I thought it's time to move on to a new one to mark the start of trimester 2. Here's to fewer bouts of sickness and more "glowing" all around!

learnasyougo Mon 13-Jan-14 22:19:26

I'm 28 weeks and really noticing kicks and squirming are much, much stronger. the kicks straight downwards are the weirdest.

learnasyougo Mon 13-Jan-14 22:17:09

the reason baby kicks more at night is because your uterus relaxes and softens when you sleep, so baby can stretch and move more easily. pretty much all newborns start off nocturnal because of this (it takes 8-12 weeks for their body clocks to switch). similarly, the insomnia in the 3rd trimester is because your sleep rhythms are those of a baby. Apparently a sleep cycle it's normally around 90 mins but when pregnant or with a baby it switches to 45mins, to match a baby's needs. pretty amazing stuff but damned annoying to be awake for hours in the wee hours (not to mention the wees in the wee hoursgrin ). in the long run, it'll make you a better mother once baby arrives though. and will make the sleepless night easier to bear.

BunnyBump1 Fri 13-Dec-13 06:39:01

LeeHandy, I had the same problem and was not getting any sleep at all. I started sleeping very early to get some much wanted sleep. Also avoid drinking too much water after 6-7 PM. I feel much better since couple of weeks now 25 Weeks

LeeHandy Wed 04-Dec-13 20:40:16

Hope you feel better soon, Light & Jesse!

A colleague at work told me that if I could feel baby's movements more at night, it probably also meant that he would be awake more at night even after he's born. shock

I have been having lots of trouble sleeping (unrelated to baby moving around) - has anyone else had this? I wake up around 2-3 am to go to the loo and then lie awake for a couple of hours before I can fall back to sleep. It's making me so tired at work. Today I fell asleep on the train home and someone had to wake me up when the train reached the last stop - which was luckily my stop. Any suggestions to sleep better at night are welcome, please!

I started a new thread as this one is almost full up. You can find it here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1930685-April-2014-Thread-4-Were-almost-in-Trimester-3

Vikkijayne2507 Wed 04-Dec-13 20:13:48

sorry to hear all the illness guys. I also feel baby boy move at night but did feel 1 kick and fluttering earlier at work at my desk. 22 weeks today. he actually moved when I was chatting to him in the car so that was nice

dutchyoriginal Wed 04-Dec-13 19:09:59

Sorry to hear you're still struggling as well, Jesse. It really is very very tedious. In theory, I like the idea of eating more or less continuously (which really helps alongside the medication), but in practise, it all gets very boring and by the end of the day, I'm completely fed up with food and have no idea what to eat anymore. :-( Which is a problem, because I stop eating and then start retching. :-(

Fortunately, I'm usually ok once I'm in bed, also because I feel flutters!

jessepinkmansblueeyes Wed 04-Dec-13 18:01:14

the nausea is sooo tedious. 21+4 and still struggling.

LightTripper Wed 04-Dec-13 15:57:01

Thanks Dutchy! Sorry I was such a whinger this morning. Just felt a bit overwhelmed with it all and it was either post on here and get it out of my system or have a little cry in the toilets. Feeling much better now. Pain has eased off, lunch went well and busy day going fine so far. Nausea seems to be kicking in early, but as long as I can manage another 3 hours before I have to go home to be sick I should get everthing done I think smile

I have also been getting flutterings! To begin with I could only feel them when I was very still in bed, but now I can even feel them at work as long as I'm sitting still. It is a nice feeling and kind of reassuring, although I'm really looking forward to Friday to see her again and find out if everything is still looking OK!

So sorry that you're still feeling sick too. Sounds like you've had it worse than me. I had some drugs but they didn't seem to do anything, so didn't take them for long - and recently it's only been 2-3 hours each evening even without them, so doesn't really seem worth taking pills for. I really hope the nausea lays off both of us soon - 12 weeks of that is quite enough already!!

dutchyoriginal Wed 04-Dec-13 13:40:50

Glad to hear scan went ok Wendle!

sorry to hear you still feel miserable, lighttripper. Unfortunately, I'm the same. Still constantly nauseous and vomiting a couple a times a week. And that is still on medication. I am soooo looking forward to no more nausea. And I want my energy back!

On the bright side, I get flutters since the start of last week, and I heard the heartbeat again yesterday at the midwife's. 20 week scan is next Monday, when I'm exactly 20 weeks.

Lighttripper, hope your lunch and busy day went ok. Fingers crossed we will feel better soon.

LightTripper Wed 04-Dec-13 10:23:10

Hello ladies! I'm really sorry but feeling miz and have just come on here to unload/moan. After a clear week last week I thought at least the vomitting might have gone, but threw up my dinner last night and the night before, and then woken up at 5 this morning by a crazy jangling raw sciatic nerve from hip to calf. Feeling wrung out, knackered, sore and a bit miserable and now have to try to get through a day of being professional and productive at work (in fact worse than that, as am taking a client to lunch so should really attempt to be something approaching charming also ... hmmm).

On the bright side have to get up at 5 tomorrow to catch a train anyway, so maybe I should just see it as good practice...

Vikkijayne2507 Tue 03-Dec-13 19:38:08

glad all well wendle sounds like it was a a gd scan.

wendle70 Tue 03-Dec-13 18:33:54

Ps cata that is great news! Glad you feel more re assured.

wendle70 Tue 03-Dec-13 18:32:57

20 week scan went well baby is fine yippee! Although he kept moving so sonagrapher had a hard time! V thorough..it took an hour and they looked at everything. Sonographer at UCH was same lady who did the private 10 week scan at the Fetal Medicine Centre! Placenta is posterior and hasnt moved up yet or something. They need to check it has moved in next scan. Not too concerned..am told it will prob move and if not a c section which i have been pondering anyway! Will save us the cost of going private! So relieved baby is fine... Was nervous while they did it. Feel so lucky to have such amazing resources to check our babies smile wishing you ladies lots of luck if you are due to have your scans shortly xx

Vikkijayne2507 Tue 03-Dec-13 15:45:13

o didn't know about braxton hicks either wondered if any one on here had heard about it

Cannotbelieveit Tue 03-Dec-13 09:27:16

Ds2 will be having all of ds1's stuff! It'll only be a year old then.

Pushchair (oyster max) ordered at mothercare last week as 20% off it all.

Just need another family fix base and an extra camera for the video monitor

Have bought new bean his own going home clothes tho! Will probably get the bin bags full of DS's clothes down from the loft beginning of march to wash/sort.

20 week scan on Thursday so looking forward to seeing little man again!

19+3 grin

catameringue Tue 03-Dec-13 07:41:57

Hi all, not been on here in a bit as popped onto Facebook group and also been anxious about my scan. Had scan yesterday and whilst DS is not ruled out, no anomalies or problems were seen. Everything appears to be as it should which was reassuring. I have one more scan to check but can feel more relaxed now and tell myself that chances are all will be fine.

I too don't have hand me downs but I think I'm going to ask around at work. I have been offered a car seat which is the one thing I personally didn't want second hand! There are lots of bundles of clothes on ebay for collection only so I might go down that route.

prettyinpink90 Tue 03-Dec-13 07:14:22

Good luck for your scan today wendle smile

iloveweetos Mon 02-Dec-13 22:46:11

That's Braxton hicks? This early on? I just thought it was skin stretching?

patsy375 Mon 02-Dec-13 22:31:20

Good luck for your scan tomorrow Wendle.
Is this your first baby?

wendle70 Mon 02-Dec-13 22:18:05

Ooh i get hard tummy too. Didnt know it could be braxton?

We need a new car too. On the painting..this sounds really awful but am thinking of keeping colour and putting up cute pictures... We will prob be moving once baby is a year old so cant see point re painting. But i feel guilty! Looking fwd to buying stuff post Xmas.

Anyway reason for post is I had preg yoga tonight. Lovely ladies in the class and lovely teacher and it's just the next street away.. But man it was quite hippie with a LOT of emphasis on breastfeeding, how your breath is like misty fog when exhaling..smiling during the exercises and then a report on the poor yoga student from last week who had to have a c section. I am feeling like a weirdo considering elective c section, bottles if baby and i cant get on with breast feeding and generally not smiling when doing 20 pelvic floor exercises a day! Aargh!

And i really need to check am doing the pelvic floor exercises right!

Think it is also really sinking in now how life will change...am so busy at work with such long hours it has taken away time i might have had to do all the pregnancy stuff like this. Now i keep imagining 6 months to a year with 2 hrs sleep, never leaving the house, sore nipples, sore bits, the loneliness being at home while my OH toils away at the office (he works v hard too). Anyway, looking fwd to seeing my LO tomorrow in 20 week scan. I involuntarily smile every time i look at the scans and it's all worth it..

Vikkijayne2507 Mon 02-Dec-13 21:11:37

I wish I had hand me downs I have no family with recent babies. We have a second hand britax travel system for a bargain and bought a 2nd hand steriliser and 1 sleep suit and one pair of booties cos they were sooo cute. haven't bought anything else yet. I've been getting some movements and sudden tightening which makes tummy feel rock hard. I read its braxton hicks which is odd
21 weeks and 5 days

Trinpy Mon 02-Dec-13 17:23:19

Hello everyone smile .

I agree hand me downs are great - get as much for free as you can! Save the money for when they get old enough to start demanding brand new stuff.

Work was awful. I could barely walk by lunchtime. I had a chat to my line manager who agreed I couldn't work like this. My shift tomorrow has been cancelled and I'm going to ask my gp to sign me off for a while. Also have to speak to my manager and occupational health tomorrow to discuss how and when I can return to work. At least they've all seen me suffering now so they know I'm not exaggerating how bad it is!

22+3

iloveweetos Mon 02-Dec-13 15:24:20

Hey started drinking more water and do feel a lot better! The joys of pregnancy lol x
Hope you're all feeling well xxx

LightTripper Mon 02-Dec-13 14:30:43

We've not bought anything either. BIL and SIL have promised us some hand me down clothes, so I'm hoping that will give us enough of a base that we don't have to buy anything much before she arrives, and then we can see what we get given and if we have any gaps!! We've also been offered a second hand car seat (from a very trusted friend, so we know no accidents etc.) so that's a help (we don't actually have a car, but will need a seat for when we hire one... or maybe we will finally have to cave in and get one when baby arrives - we're going to see how we go!)

Should get quote for painting this week. I'm hoping it's OK so we can book that in for January, and then shopping and furniture sorting can be done in February before I get too huge!!

That just leaves pram/buggy to sort out, which gives me the fear for some reason. Just seems so complicated and easy to get wrong, for what is quite a big chunk of money. I think we're just going to have to brace ourselves and go to a big Mothercare or Kiddicare or something and try some out after Christmas.

Our 20 week scan is on Friday first thing. Really looking forward to it. Feeling a bit nervous in case there is a problem, but luckily (?!?!) I have a crazy work week between now and then so won't have too much time to dwell on it. I am pretty sure I can feel her moving pretty regularly now, which is really lovely. Mainly around the sides and the bottom of my bump, so I'm wondering if my placenta is at the front. Anyway, I guess I will find this all out on Friday!

LT 19+5

P.S. Sorry to hear you're feeling bad weetos - hope you can get it sorted quickly. And good luck with your managers today trinpy!

wendle70 Mon 02-Dec-13 13:41:13

I would LOVE hand me downs! I feel guilty not bought a thing yet..kind of waiting for the 20 week scan but mostly just not had time...am thinking post Xmas online splurge will sort it out.

weetos I had a bad UTI last week - you should go and see the dr because they are not good when pregnant -can be a lot worse and go to your kidneys or they can even cause MC. They even prescribe you antibios for longer than normaly to be sure you get rid of it. You need antibios for 5-7 days. I had nitrofurantoin which is v effective. Poor you - it's horrid. I get it anyway but it's v common when you are pregnant...there are quite a lot of tips you can follow that help though - cranberry doesn't make that much difference in my experience. If you want some tips, PM me and I will send you them!
20 week scan tomorrow - excited to see little baby again and nervous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now