Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2014 - Thread 2 or 3 depending on which way you count!

(994 Posts)
LeeHandy Tue 17-Sep-13 17:57:20

Hello ladies.. the previous thread is almost full so I thought it's time to move on to a new one to mark the start of trimester 2. Here's to fewer bouts of sickness and more "glowing" all around!

Trinpy Wed 16-Oct-13 17:08:44

Sorry to hear you've had to go through all of that beetle. Really good news though that the twins are still ok and cervix is closed. Hope theres some very ordinary, completely healthy explanation for the bleeding.

Light - Yes, she did prescribe me something but said she doesn't like prescribing them for pregnant women unless absolutely necessary, because no one knows for sure how safe they are. She said I could have them because I looked like death (thanks for that!), but with the promise that I would only take them on days when I really couldn't cope. She also helpfully told me that she managed to cope with sickness through both her pregnancies, which made me feel a bit rubbish, like I was giving in too easily sad .

LightTripper Wed 16-Oct-13 17:29:11

Trinpy, she sounds really patronising. Everybody's sickness is so different, and the demands of their life on any given day are also totally different, as is how supportive their partner can be based on the demands of his life, how many children you have, what kind of child care, etc. It just seems totally ignorant to say "I coped and herefore so can you".

And as for drugs, I hope (but doubt) doctors realise we are smart enough to know that there is no such thing as "absolute safety" in medicine, but actually a lot of these drugs have a lot of data to support that they are very likely to be safe. It just seems like in this country we have a totally risk averse view because of thalidomide - whereas in other countries Doctors have been prescribing things for years, resulting in the build up of good data that we could now use to do the same. You can make somebody aware that there is always a small risk involved without sending them on a massive guilt trip.

I have to say even though I have hardly taken mine at all except on the worst days, or when I have something big at work coming up that I cannot afford to throw up during, it means the world to me to know that they are there if I need them. So far I have taken 4 (the prescription is 3 a day) - but even though they only help postpone the vomiting, and do nothing for nausea, those 4 have been worth their weight in gold on the days when I needed them.

Gaargh... Sorry for the rant. This just makes me so angry. I hate being patronised, I'm really bad at just letting it go, although I'm trying to teach myself to do it!

So far luckily my GP, midwife and sonographer have been lovely and i haven't felt put down at all, but I guess I am kind of expecting to be a sitting duck while pregnant/vulnerable, because I have no idea what I'm doing so in the end I am going to be totally reliant on what others tell me to do. But I have already had advice from the midwife which I know is out of date with the latest research/government advice (re peanuts), so it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence. hmm

LeeHandy Wed 16-Oct-13 19:36:09

Sorry to hear that some of you are having a rubbish time with the sickness.
Cata, I agree with Trinpy, the mumsnet reviews on prams are pretty useful. the only thing I would also suggest is that you make a list of what you actually need from a stroller and then eliminate possibilities using the reviews. What happened to me is that reading all these reviews just made me aware of the shortcomings of every stroller! The only stroller that almost no one has anything bad to say about is the bugaboo chameleon. But it's so expensive, I think I will buy it second-hand off gumtree if I decide to get it.
I hope your tests turn out okay, beetle! It's very stressful to have all this happen, but I'm sure the fact that twins are still happy floating around is very reassuring. Good luck!
I finally did a whole round of maternity clothes shopping. At the moment, I'm still looking fat but I think I will get a proper bump in the next couple of weeks. I can't believe I am only 16 weeks now, it feels like I have been pregnant forever.
We had a sales conference last week and a cocktail making class after - it was awful to watch everyone guzzle lovely cosmopolitans while I was drinking ginger ale. envy

ChocChaffinch Wed 16-Oct-13 20:19:45

hop over to the hyperemesis support thread for ongoing puking, there are many website links and research that shows early treatment for nausea and vomiting is infinitely preferable.. and we've pooled our experience to generally discover GPs are shite in the area of pregnancy sickness...
hyperemesis and sickness thread

ChocChaffinch Wed 16-Oct-13 20:23:07

BTW I have hyperemesis...but have never had motion sickness or sea sickness etc
many of us on the pukers thread have discovered we had problems with the pill / hormonal contraception, though.. sensitivity to hormones could be part of the problem... but in the UK we'll never know as currentl pregnancy sickness isn't being researched. <sigh>

sorry for ranting!!

still liking mothercare's buggy travel system, but def. have posh pram envy, just absolutely could not afford

Vikkijayne2507 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:09:08

I do feel for you guys who are so ill I've been very lucky not too ill. im 15 weeks today and my smell senses have gone into overdrive can't stand certain smells

Bodeccia Wed 16-Oct-13 21:52:14

Sorry to hear of the strange bleeding, beetle, I hope it clears up quickly and your results are good news. Reassuring tho that your scan was fine and the twins are fine. Are they the same size, out of interest? Mine were both the same size at the 10 week (i.e. Mistake booking) and 12 weeks scan, and apparently its unusual, 63mm at 12 weeks.

I know what you mean about having enough surprises so far, I've only really just started feeling happy and excited about having twins, and I've known for about 6 weeks...

13+4

ChocChaffinch Wed 16-Oct-13 22:02:06

yes fingers crossed for you beetle

ThedementedPenguin Wed 16-Oct-13 22:38:02

Haven't had a catch up yet but I really could do with some advice.

Sorry for tmi but I'm really badly constipated. Have got lactalose (sp?) and am working on my diet as it's been awful this time. So anyways, I'm in agony, it hurts to breath sometimes, if I cough it hurts, burps. In general if I move at all I'm in pain.
So I've started the lactalose this morning after quick discussion with doctor. It says it can take a few days to work and to take 15mls twice a day. This morning I took 20mls, would it be okay if I took a bit more than that as I really need this sorted?
I'm really not sure I can wait a few days.

If anyone can help me quick I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

LightTripper Thu 17-Oct-13 07:11:37

Im sorry, I don't know Penguin, I've been right at the other end of the scale!! Why not ask on the Pregnancy board as there might be people who are further along who would know?

Hope you get some relief soon, and hoping you get some good answers today beetle

LightTripper Thu 17-Oct-13 08:29:28

Yesterday was a pretty amazing day for me.

I actually WENT OUT IN THE EVENING!

Admittedly was home in bed by 8.30 and throwing up by 9, but still!! I went to this women's networking thing. I really didn't think I'd make it, but got to 4.30 (when I've usually been going home to beat the rush hour) and thought "actually I don't feel too bad". So gave it a go and it was all surprisingly fine! I think it will be really good timing for me too, as it is going to be quite hard to figure out work and baby, and most of the women there have kids already (and everybody else is planning kids I think) so will be really helpful to learn how they did it.

I'm trying not to get carried away into thinking this is the beginning of the end of the vomming (given I threw up at home straight after), but even if it was just a good blip it was so lovely to do something other than sleep - work - lie on sofa with bucket - repeat. Has really buoyed me up!

Hope today is a good day for all you ladies, especially beetle and penguin cake brew

BeansAndCheese Thu 17-Oct-13 08:47:03

Hi penguin. Lactulose kind of works from the top down, so it will take a while. Maybe speak to your gp about something like senna to get you started. Not recommended in pregnancy, but what is? I suffered when first bfing with dd. Had to disimpacted myself (sorry tmi). Really unpleasant. Remember drink way more than you usually would, if you can.

EerieCompadre Thu 17-Oct-13 08:56:50

Well hello everyone. I've only just come across this thread, but I'd love to join and share my woes of sickness and nausea and tiredness smile
I'm currently 12w6d, due on 25/04/14.

LightTripper Thu 17-Oct-13 09:15:05

Hello Eerie! Welcome to the thread. grin

BeansAndCheese Thu 17-Oct-13 09:16:24

Hi eerie!

Cannotbelieveit Thu 17-Oct-13 09:21:35

Welcome Eerie!

Good to see the last few scan pics on the fb page. Now we are all counting down to 20week scans and private 16/17 gender scans!

catameringue Thu 17-Oct-13 09:35:55

Oh Beetle what a stressful time. Hope you get some rest.

Lee - ok but what 'do' I need in a stroller? Something that takes you from new born to toddler is the only criterion I know. It seems second hand is still quite dear. It's like shopping for a car!

To my bunged up comrades, if I don't have allbran every day I'm the same. Unfortunately I've not had any all week.

Sickness is going down here but in fits and spurts.
Enjoyed a chinese last night which would have been impossible two weeks ago.

LightTripper Thu 17-Oct-13 09:41:52

Ooh, actually, I could probably join the FB group now my news is out (well, next week I can anyway). Could somebody tell me how to do it?

Trinpy Thu 17-Oct-13 10:27:14

Penguin - don't take more than recommended because it might end up being more than you need to get things going. You don't want to end up with uncontrollable diarrhea! Normally they tell you to start with a low dose and then they increase it or try something stronger if it's not working.

cata - what pram you need depends on where you're using it. If you are going to be taking it on rough terrain (country walks) then go for a 3 wheeler, if you live in the city then get something light and compact. If you use the car a lot get a travel system where you can attach a car seat and make sure it fits in the car boot. If you rely on public transport it's easier to have something you can fold with one hand. I've researched this a lot blush .

ThedementedPenguin Thu 17-Oct-13 10:31:32

I took 15mls extra yesterday, today I'll stick with the correct dose as I feel a good bit better today.

Cannotbelieveit Thu 17-Oct-13 10:32:56

Anyone that wants to join the fb group (it's secret and no one can see anything you post apart from those of us in the group)

Add me on fb bad I will add you to it

Trisha jukes

12+5 grin

EerieCompadre Thu 17-Oct-13 10:37:45

Are you blonde or brunette in your profile pic Cannotbelieveit ? I've found two people with the same name on Facebook thlsmile

BeetleBeetle Thu 17-Oct-13 13:28:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeetleBeetle Thu 17-Oct-13 13:32:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cannotbelieveit Thu 17-Oct-13 13:45:20

Brunette and my hubby is in pic xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now