Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013 - may our labours move as fast as our threads!

(1001 Posts)
PseudoBadger Mon 16-Sep-13 07:24:32

New thread!

Flyer747 Mon 16-Sep-13 11:33:09

Haha Feminist lots of my sentences start with "On the Board...." Or dp will say "What you doing? You on the board"

I'm going to mama fit (some exercise thing) on Wednesday with some NCT ladies then meeting them on Friday for lunch trying to fill the days and off to see a friend who has had a baby 2 weeks ago tomorrow, but it is a bit boring isn't it all this time off.

Just cleared out the cupboard under the stairs so I can put my freezer in there to make space for my new tumble dryer in the kitchen. Roll on Wednesday when it arrives just in time for the shitty drying weather.
Just txt Dp to tell him to keep his phone on incase all the exertion puts me Into early labour.
Going to lie on the sofa for a while to recover before I do anything else.

pinkbuttons Mon 16-Sep-13 11:45:39

Lovely weekend here too thank you tarlia I think now that were term its just a case of waiting to make sure your in labour before going in but would keep an eye on your BP I guess to make sure it doesn't start going mad with it? Fingers crossed for you smile Ive had a few hrs of BH over past couple of days but never seems to amount to anything, just keep thinking it will all help in the end though.

Have been feeling the same as a lot of you re: feeling like I have to be doing something and especially entertaining DS. Baking brownies and birthday cake for DH's birthday tomorrow but have resigned myself to just letting DS play by himself and watch tv and he seems to be having a great time. Clearly my usual guilt at not doing stuff with him is ridiculous.

legally I am in awe of you managing to breastfeed 2 babies and still being awake enough to mumsnet. So glad all is going so well. Hearing you talk about your babies reminds me how close I am to actually having one myself. smile

DS very clingy over past couple of days and asking for a cuddle every 20 minutes, gorgeous but had me worried. Just sat down with him for a big cuddle and to explain hell still be my gorgeous boy when baby is born and well still have lots of cuddles his response was "mummy, my watching Thomas" so basically be quiet you crazy lady Im trying to watch Thomas the Tank Engine. Maybe hes not so worried about the baby as Id thought...

MrsO27 Mon 16-Sep-13 11:48:10

100 days to Xmas!! Anyone using mat leave to do your xmas shopping? I want to, but can't find the motivation. I don't usually start until November.

roofio87 Mon 16-Sep-13 11:58:59

Its the same here, I'll be on my phone and dp says "whats up, anymore women you don't know had a baby yet?" I don't think he gets my mn love!!

cuillereasoupe Mon 16-Sep-13 12:00:40

I've just realised I'm officially on ML as of today, start of term tomorrow - perfect timing! I've actually been more or less off since I stopped teaching at the end of last term in April. Been a nice long holiday grin. Actually I'm aiming to stop properly at the end of September: I have to write a paper this week for a conference on feminist approaches to the history of science, to be delivered by Skype next week. Luckily hmm I can carry on doing research from home with just a library card and an internet connection.

KarmaBiatch Mon 16-Sep-13 12:03:48

Jelly I've been taking them orally, one 1300mg both morning and night. had a wee root around 'up there' and my posterior cervix has now moved forward and feels open! wow! excited to hear what the obgyn thinks about it this afternoon, but am going to start them internally towards the end of the week!

I also had a wee play with the breastpump this morning, and managed to get quite a lot of colostrum in only 15 minutes! The nipple stimulation made me a little horny, oops! grin

KarmaBiatch Mon 16-Sep-13 12:10:05

Just to add, the EPO has made my skin deliciously soft over the last couple days, lush!

Wickedgirl Mon 16-Sep-13 12:13:02

SC at 36+5

Good luck for today kelly I hope everything goes well

mrso27 Christmas is still too far off. Before Christmas I have to have a baby, celebrate DS 13th birthday, Halloween, Guy Fawkes night and celebrate dd 15th birthday.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend

Flyer747 Mon 16-Sep-13 12:13:54

Karma I'm getting some evening primrose today after hearing that grin
Thanks for the tip....

Flyer747 Mon 16-Sep-13 12:27:04

Right after hearing all the colostrum and breast pumping stories I've just got the medela out of the cupboard just to see what came out etc. I pumped both boobs and nothing, nada! Is there something wrong with me? Should I be getting it now (36 weeks) it also felt weird, like a cow getting milked grin

doobeedee Mon 16-Sep-13 12:33:19

Flyer, I'm 38 weeks and have no milk. From what I've read it doesn't matter and doesn't mean there'll be a problem.

KarmaBiatch Mon 16-Sep-13 12:34:30

grin flyer

I've been able to squeeze out a droplet of colostrum ainxe about week 28, but I know a lot of women don't get anything until their baby is actually born! You could maybe start pumping for a wee while every morning to see if the stimulation gives you some over time?!

Checking in 38+1 and sc

This may be tmi but DH felt inside me last night and felt Willows head :s he says my cervix is low and fairly open too, we got expert at checking it the 4 years that we were trying... sorry if sounds weird but its move on from the other day with hardly any contractions strange really.

I got contractions this morning so I went for a nap and they stopped. I am glad as DS is off school ill bless him.

sparkleigh no idea how i'm managing most days my strategy is avoid them if at all possible but i have to go in for consultant appointment tomorrow really hoping I go by then tbh.

So im away to watch toy story for the 1000th time with DS smile

JellyCurls Mon 16-Sep-13 13:07:08

Flyer with my first I had no colostrum or anything till after DD was born now I only have to look at my boobs and they start producing. I tried pumping the other night then had a panic that I might use up all colostrum so stopped, did nothing to stimulate BH or contractions though.

Falcon bet DH was a bit freaked out feeling babies head. I had a feel inside me too blush and cervix is def open quite a bit and much lower cause I can now feel it. No idea on medical terms how open if is but means things going in right direction

JellyCurls Mon 16-Sep-13 13:08:02

Oh an no toy story here but DS and I huddled on couch watching Brave for the 1000th time

Heres hoping we are no long for it jelly smile

claphammama Mon 16-Sep-13 13:08:37

hope things start moving for you properly falcon!

my DP is scared of MN I think... he often wonders what we all talk about but I tell him things very selectively... what happens on the thread stays on the thread! But I can see that my frequent giggling as I check my phone is making him uneasy grin and when he does something wrong he asks if I'm talking to you all about him grin grin

just back from my GP appointment - all good, BP low, heartbeat fine and measuring 33cm at 34+6. So OK. I asked her what size she thought the baby was and she said "average". Still head down but not engaged at all. And don't I know it anyway with his feet in my ribs?

It's my first day of laziness so I'm very far from being bored but umlauf you sound ready to go! grin I've been trying to be productive today, cleaned the kitchen, tided our bedroom, did some washing, and went to sort our DS afterschool clubs. By the way, chatting in MN also counts as productive. Very grin now waiting for the Virgin man to come and install the TiVo box so I have something to watch as I breastfeed at 2am (lesson learned from last time)

DS loves brave too! got me thinking i need a blu ray copy---away to amazon smile

cherrycherry41 Mon 16-Sep-13 13:15:45

Afternoon smile
SC here @ 37+1
Had my last midwife appt today as having my cs 2 weeks today!! grin
Baby estimated about 8lb 13oz at the moment, so with 2 weeks growing time he might reach the 10lbs like his sister!
Going shopping tonight for the last few bits we need then I can get on with packing my hospital bag! grin

To all those who talk about mumsnet in RL to DP etc- i do it too! Im on 2 groups, more active in my DDs group and im forever going 'so and so on mumsnet said this today..' :')

You can't usr up your colostrum Jelly. You'll keep producing it until the birth of the placenta sets off full milk production. I've heard that some women start expressing and storing colostrum around now so that if they have to top up they don't need to resort to formula. I doubt I'd manage to get much more than a teaspoon though and I've heard it can start off labour so I think I'll give it a miss because as much as I would like an early end to this I think it's best if I make it to c-section date.

notsoold Mon 16-Sep-13 13:28:28

Found you guys!!!

Wishing a better night to all of us later today!!!

legallyblond Mon 16-Sep-13 13:30:31

Flyer and anyone else. I leaked no colostrum at all this preg and couldn't get a single drop hand expressing.... But since the c section am now producing milk in abundance for two(!!!!) - milk came in on day three, colostrum before that and I know there was lots as we (me/MW) hand expressed it into a syringe while they were too sleepy to latch. So panic not - I think pre birth leakage has no bearing at all, it's the removal/loss of the placenta that actually triggers it all off.

Flyer you are a bad influence! I had a go (Medela Harmony, which do you have?) and got some drops in the bottle. As has already been said, I've read it doesn't matter if you don't get any while PG, doesn't mean it won't happen. I'm glad I tried though as I now know that I need a bigger funnel (made my nipples feel really sore, think they were rubbing on it) and I need a bottle brush- I've been so concentrated on bf that I forgot I need bottle cleaning stuff if I'm going to express!

I've got the Milton cold water steriliser bucket and tablets though, think Natalie has it too. It looks quite straightforward, looking at the little bottles really brings it all home!

Flyer747 Mon 16-Sep-13 13:36:47

Thanks Legally.

Feminist I've got the Madela swing. It's so weird pumping your nipples grin
I also need to get a bottle steriliser bought the Milton tablets and liquid but like you I need the other bits.

This thread is not accepting new messages.