Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Graduated Elderberry Pavlovas - Thread 7

(1000 Posts)
Cavort Sat 07-Sep-13 13:52:52

Newly diffed right through to new Mums. A thread for the over 30's expecting their first baby.

Alexandra6 Mon 30-Sep-13 14:51:43

I'm coming down with a cold too! We've all been spending too much time together wink

Good luck quod! Agree they're a handful at that stage, I'm always so grateful when DH is around as he seems to be a great entertainer! Although I was with a two year old on the weekend and did well because I downloaded an app on my ipad that she loved

AIBU but we have a pitch coming up at work and I'll have to be a main person on it but we might not have much time to turn it around, so my boss just said to me "we'll just put extra time in and work weekends etc" and I made it clear I won't be able to work weekends as I'm busy (I genuinely am - between NCT, DIY/cleaning, planning for a baby, a couple of other things and being huge). Part of the reason we won't have much time is to do with other people's holidays and she quizzed me on weekend plans to make sure I was busy! Also it's not as if I get anything out of it financially if they win anyway as I'll be on stat mat. I didn't mean to sound unenthusiastic about work but it irritated me - especially as I might not have a secure job to come back to from what I understand!

Cavort - I'm lop sided too. Doesn't seem to matter what I do, left is noticeably bigger than right as it just produces more. It better be temporary, nobody warned me about wonky boobs!

I think you're right to be firm and say no Alex - I'm amazed at how rubbish work have been with everyone. There's no wonder there is so much legislation to protect pregnant women, I dread to think what they'd have us all doing otherwise.

Alexandra6 Mon 30-Sep-13 16:06:06

shock at lopsided boob situ!

Thanks purple

BelissimaLol Mon 30-Sep-13 17:05:24

Cav hope this cold eases off soon. And I too seem to have loop side boobs!!!!
On other news my first day on my own is going okish. Managed a quick shower and even bathed her after! Ate lunch with her on my lap and am now typing bend forward so as she can feed at the same time! But I do feel very lonely. Need to try and meet some mums nearby. It's such a shame you lot live far from me. Id much rather meet you for a coffee grin

Cavort Mon 30-Sep-13 17:19:47

Well i'm glad it's not just me but it's still not exactly great. They were both pretty much the same until last week.

Thanks Lol, I hope it eases off soon too. I feel quite rough and haven't got enough expressed to take some decent drugs and paracetamol just doesn't cut it.
You sound like you're doing well for your first day alone. Yes I think it helps a lot if you know some nearby mums. I have found a playgroup to go to twice a week, which Elodie is really a bit young for at the moment so it's more for me than her at the moment to get me out of the house. There seems to be more groups to go to for babies who are 16+ weeks so I will hopefully sign up for a few of those as well.

BelissimaLol Mon 30-Sep-13 18:10:59

Thanks for that tip cav. I found one in the local Catholic Church which I am planning to attend anyway so will give that a go. I have also seen another two nearby so might try them out. I am also hoping to start baby swimming soon.
Have any of your babies had 12 week jabs yet? I am dreading this already as it broke my heart to see her in that much pain!!

Quodlibet Mon 30-Sep-13 18:55:27

Well that went better than I had hoped! I was all set for epic nap battles and upsets, but she went down really easily for 2 of the longest naps she has ever had (my sister was outraged at how unfair this is) and was sunshine and light in between. Still shattered though - and got to go out to dinner this eve too (only next door thankfully). I have no idea people manage being f/t pg with a toddler.

Cavort Tue 01-Oct-13 04:31:46

That's reassuring Quod. Maybe toddlers aren't the nightmare they're made out to be who am I kidding. grin

Alexandra6 Tue 01-Oct-13 08:25:39

Glad it went well quod! It always makes me terrified laugh when I'm with a toddler or baby and they're sunshine and light as the exhausted looking parents are very quick to point out it's just a good day! wink All worth it though!

I also liked your nursery pic quod and am determined not to freak out that I can't even get into the room that is going to be our nursery yet grin

Alex - go look at the picture of my 'nursery' and be instantly cheered up!

Quodlibet Tue 01-Oct-13 13:02:45

Alex our 'nursery' is still really the study and will continue to be for as long as we can get away with baby in our bedroom. Unless we manage to sort the loft conversion (big legal 'ifs') we are still one room short in our flat as we need to have a space to work at home inc for all DP's kit. We only did that bit of the decorating now because it required my eye/steady hand on it and I will be imminently too fat/preoccupied to do it!

I can't remember if I said but a few times recently I've woken up convinced I've fallen asleep whilst feeding the baby only to find that she's fast asleep in her basket.

Well last night I actually DID fall asleep whilst feeding her blush BAD MUMMY. Woke up about half an hour later still sitting up in bed holding her, hadn't moved a muscle. I feel so bad but in my defence she had decided to wake me up at 3 something then again less than an hour later so I was very tired!

janey1234 Tue 01-Oct-13 19:59:12

It's weird isn't it. On Sunday night I woke DP up as he rolled over towards me, saying "mind the baby". We never have him in bed with us, and I hadn't yet fed him that night. I had imagined that he was there, and was protecting this imaginary baby in my sleep. Odd.

Then this morning I told DP that I thought Miles had slept through the night. I know he woke at 3.15am, and I'm pretty sure I patted him and he went back to sleep until 7am. However there's a slim chance that I fed him, put him back in his cot, and he then slept until 7am. I just can't quite remember which if those two things happened. Weird hey... confused

Alexandra6 Tue 01-Oct-13 21:03:37

Major pregnant berry milestone today...I bought my first pack of nappies! Felt a bit like an intruder going into the baby aisle and was a bit confused by the sizes at first (total amateur) but then I spotted 'newborn' and there was no stopping me! wink I even got a baby wipes multipack.

katatonic Tue 01-Oct-13 21:13:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oh congratulations on your scan! It's such an important milestone, hopefully you can relax and enjoy your pregnancy now...well as much as is possible anyway!

Cavort Tue 01-Oct-13 21:37:40

Hello Kat and huge congratulations on your scan. Yep, you're a graduate now and it's official that you're having a baby in 6ish months. grin

Alex it doesn't get easier, I still find nappies confusing! It was easy starting off with Pampers New Baby Size 1, and then we moved on to New Baby Size 2 - again quite easy, but she's just moved into size 3 and when I went to Asda to get some I was confronted with Pampers New Baby, Pampers Simply Dry, Pampers Baby Dry and Pampers Active Fit - all available in size 3! WTAF is the difference?!! And that's without even considering supermarket own brands which might be just as good but cheaper. It's a minefield.

I momentarily fell asleep BFing a few times in the early days but FX nothing since. blush And I also sometimes wake up with a start that i've fallen asleep with her but she's always tucked up in her own bed thank goodness.

Alexandra6 Tue 01-Oct-13 21:51:38

Hi kat and massive congrats on the 12 week scan, it's such a relief getting to that point isn't it! grin I'm a pregnant berry and due at the end of November.

janey1234 Tue 01-Oct-13 22:05:38

Hi Kat and congratulations! You've officially passed the most horrendous and worrying part of pregnancy (to my mind), and time will gradually speed up until you have a teeny person in your arms. Will come around more quickly than you think!

Alex - I think I gave you a few "mini" which you might need at first. Then size one, then size two (Miles still in those). However I saw size 3 and size 3+ next to each other today - what the hell does that all mean?!

Cavort Tue 01-Oct-13 22:57:55

Purple how on earth did you keep up with all the expressing before Lucy took to BFing?

Our little piglet is glugging 6.5oz a night for her dream feed and I am struggling to keep up! I also need to somehow build up a surplus for a Spa Day I have coming up in a few weeks and gawd knows how I'm going to do that without resorting to formula. hmm Has anyone else given formula or mix fed and how was it? Any problems? Was baby extra windy, constipated afterwards, etc?

I don't know Cavort, I just did it! The breasfeeding lady said I'm a very determined lady but look at me now, breast feeding with the rest of you so it was all worth it though I won't deny it was bloody hard work! I think I was expressing about every two or three hours for 15 minutes each side. On the plus side I've got a stash in the freezer I'm only just starting to work my way through now.

I can't believe Elodie is in size 3 nappies, I've still got Lucy in size 1, is it obvious when they grow out of them because they honestly seem like there's plenty of room in them for her. I know she's small but you've got me worrying now!

MotherOfCleo Tue 01-Oct-13 23:18:22

Hi * kat*, HUGE congrats!!! I agree, the first 12 weeks are the hardest, so FX things get easier for you now. grin

I bought my first pack of nappies after I joined the boots baby club.....only because I got a free changing bag. Makes me sound like such a cheapskate! blush Had our first NHS antenatal class tonight, was better than I expected. It was taken by a NCT lady plus we got all NCT handouts, maybe the NHS is better than I thought. Plus....an importantly....my OH found it useful and interesting but not scary wink

Mother - I did exactly the same and I use that free changing bag every day grin

MotherOfCleo Tue 01-Oct-13 23:31:29

Great minds purple grin grin grin Seemed too good to miss!! Love free stuff.

Got a free hooded towel and washing powder from the antenatal class tonight too, already got the same thing in another free pack too but those are always handy so I was quite pleased......god I sound like such a saddo.shock

Cavort Wed 02-Oct-13 02:36:56

Purple I know we're ready for the next size nappy when the previous size starts leaking, which as you can imagine isn't the greatest method.blush

I'm sure Lucy is fine in her size 1's- I just have a very greedy baby who is quite fat as a result. She's getting weighed this morning after her jabs and I fully expect her to be huge. The waists of her 3-6m trousers are already getting tight. blush

This thread is not accepting new messages.