Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated Elderberry Pavlovas - Thread 7

(1000 Posts)
Cavort Sat 07-Sep-13 13:52:52

Newly diffed right through to new Mums. A thread for the over 30's expecting their first baby.

Alexandra6 Sun 08-Sep-13 00:11:58

We might be swapping our car anyway next summer for a boring and practical one (going to see how it goes) but I think I'd go compact and light as poss anyway especially now I've fallen in love with the Bee!

Alexandra6 Sun 08-Sep-13 00:14:56

Oh and I'm going red because a) gender neutral b) a friend is lending me her newborn cocoon for it and c) I also liked the yellow hood but my mum freaked me out about it attracting wasps (paranoid parent)

MotherOfCleo Sun 08-Sep-13 01:26:27

I feel like the poor relation but we got the mothercare xpedior, I did want the mothercare orb but couldnt justify the extra cash. My OH is 6 foot and the extendable handle is more than adequate for him.
I pushed loads round mothercare but just liked the feel of theres best, it's nice and light, plus it is so easy to switch between modes and fold up, all the buttons are colour coded, basically meaning if it is grey is either takes something off or folds something up wink
I wanted something with a big basket, easy to fold, something which fits in the boot easily and something not too wide, so that I dont take up heaps of room when walking the dog. I got it in royal blue as it was a royal baby special and we got the whole travel system including all raincovers and car seat for £250. Still look longingly at the orb but ho hum. blush

BelissimaLol Sun 08-Sep-13 08:23:05

We were given a bugaboo chameleon with a car seat and all the adaptors so I didn't really get much choice! I do like it and it is very versatile however collapsing is an absolute pain in the arse and I'm not sure I would have paid the grand it seems to cost bearing in mind this issue.
Lara has slept from 11-6 for the second night in a roll. That is worrying me as I'm starting to think it could be like this every night from now on grin

HazleNutt Sun 08-Sep-13 08:55:17

lol are you sure you're doing it right? We both thought our car seat was a pain to instal til we read the manual and figured out we had been doing it wrong (and DH is an engineer). You only need to put the handle down and pull the whole thing up, takes a few seconds, it should not feel like such a pain. I posted a video earlier as well.

Question about the so-called tummy time, do you put your babies on their fronts to exercise their neck muscles, and do they lift their heads? Vic holds his head well and does not have any problems lifting when I hold him over my shoulder or on my arm. But when I put him on his stomach, he just lays there like a starfish, drooling on the mat. confused Is there a trick I'm missing?

Quodlibet Sun 08-Sep-13 10:23:17

Hello all, just checking in briefly from sunny turkey! Having a lovely relaxing time in a really beautiful bit of the coast, doing a lot of snorkelling and eating good food.

Hazle my niece just did lying like a starfish, she never 'got' tummy time! Probably no coincidence but she didn't learn to crawl and went straight to attempting walking from about 8 months.

Alexandra6 Sun 08-Sep-13 10:44:58

envy Quod! Enjoy every minute, it's getting colder here now! I absolutely love snorkelling, hope there's lots to see.

Hazle I've been reading about tummy time on this link...maybe try getting down on your tummy too wink I had never heard of tummy time before like most things to do with babies Maybe Vic just needs to get used to the sensation before he starts trying to lift his head? www.babycenter.com/0_tummy-time-how-to-help-your-baby-get-comfortable-on-his-bell_1439985.bc

Cavort Sun 08-Sep-13 11:12:02

Elodie is not a fan of tummy time either which is yet another totally naff baby phrase which makes me cringe when saying it. She puts up with it for a few minutes and then gets grumpy. She can lift her head from the mat but makes no attempt to push up with her arms even when I try to give her a hand. I would say her development is good in other areas (like batting hanging toys and she is just starting to grab hold of rattles and bring things to her mouth) but we are drawing a blank so far on tummy time. My HV said it's fine as long as she spends time being held upright and in the sling so her neck muscles are building. I put her in my nephew's Bumbo and she could nearly hold her head in that (it is angled backwards so her head kept lolling back and then she'd move it forward again) so I'm not too worried.

My Mum told me the other day that I never crawled and went straight to walking at 8 months. 8 MONTHS!!! Gah!! That means if she takes after me I will have a walking baby destroying my house by March! shock That just seems way too soon when I thought I would be safe until probably June.

Going shopping today for something to wear to a wedding next weekend. I've had a look online and there seems to be very few dresses with easy boob access and I refuse to BF in the toilets stripped to the waist. angry

HazleNutt Sun 08-Sep-13 11:14:46

put a photo up of Vic holding his head, he really likes to be held high on the shoulder so he can stretch.
He certainly likes watching me exercise as they suggest on the babycenter link, I was learning the new Bodypump yesterday (starting to teach again next week) and he thought it was hilarious, was properly squealing.

Quod have fun - we're going to Turkey in October as well.

Alexandra6 Sun 08-Sep-13 11:21:33

Ah cute about him squealing.

Cavort what about strapless as easy to slip down and back up? With a pashmina you can use too if you're doing it somewhere as a bit of cover?

BelissimaLol Sun 08-Sep-13 11:23:28

Hazle- no, I don't think I'm doing it right at all!!!! Have watched the video and that has just confirmed it. I will try again.
Lara gets very grumpy on tummy time as well and most days I don't bother with it as she spends a lot of time upright with us and seems to exercise her neck quite well.
Are any of you using sleep bags while babies are in Moses basket? Was thinking of giving it a go tonight as she always kicks the blanket off and this morning she was very chilly when I picked her up- while the blanket was on the floor!

HazleNutt Sun 08-Sep-13 11:27:33

cavort I've managed bf in wrap dresses - sure, will have to be somewhat naked, but a muslin or pashmina over the shoulder helps.

lol yes, even though he does not sleep in the Moses basket, Vic always sleeps in a sleeping bag. He likes to kick too much, no blanket would stay on. We have 0,5 and 1 tog bags depending on the weather. Will get a 2,5 soon as I normally like our bedroom quite cold.

BelissimaLol Sun 08-Sep-13 11:34:24

What do you dress him in hazle? I mean under the bag? I only have 1 tog and then heavy ones for winter. Does that mean you don't use any blankets??? what will I do with all the blankets I have confused

Cavort Sun 08-Sep-13 12:09:17

Elodie sleeps in a 1 tog Grobag in her moses basket. It's fine even though there's quite a lot of spare material at the bottom. We're going to move her into a cot in the next few weeks as she's getting too big for the basket so at least the material won't get all bunched up around her feet like it does now.

Lol I am envy at Lara's sleeping!

Lovely picture Hazle, what a happy little cutie! smile Yes, I am hoping to find a nice wrap dress today but I've not seen any nice ones so far. Failing that I am going to have to go with skirt and button up shirt but I would rather not.

Cavort Sun 08-Sep-13 12:10:32

Oh and Lol she wears long sleeved sleep suit under the bag and a body suit as well if it's colder.

HazleNutt Sun 08-Sep-13 12:29:05

Depends on the temperature, he wears either short sleeve or long sleeve body or pyjamas. We use blankets in the buggy.

Cavort Sun 08-Sep-13 20:56:12

Couldn't find anything suitable in the whole of the Trafford Centre. Everything with a wrap or crossover front had old fogey or mumsy written all over it. sad I want to wear something I like rather than something dictated by the necessity to get my tits out at a wedding. sad sad Cheering myself up now with Maltesers. smile

janey1234 Sun 08-Sep-13 22:37:11

Cavort - the bridesmaid dress I don't fit into am wearing at the end of the month handily has a sheer panel at the top, revealing my massive maternity bra straps to everyone, as well as being high neck. I will be having to undress to the waist to feed miles. I therefore think I will be spending a significant amount if time at this wedding hanging out in the loos hmm

janey1234 Sun 08-Sep-13 22:41:04

Oops posted too soon.

In short, I feel your pain hmm

Had all the NCT girls and their partners over for lunch today. Was so nice to see everyone. And we were all saying to the course leader that whilst you really can't imagine what it's like to have a baby before you have one, it's also (touch wood) much easier than we expected (ie tiredness bearable, we've almost all managed to breastfeed so far etc). Seems so long ago that we were all pregnant and practicing putting nappies on together!

HazleNutt Mon 09-Sep-13 07:31:29

janey if you have to undress to feed anyway, maybe get a normal strapless bra instead?

MotherOfCleo Mon 09-Sep-13 08:02:00

hummmm so the cat has found a few favourite sleeping place....in the pram carrycot. Cant blame him as its all snug and warm, need to nip this in the bid though....any ideas?

Cavort Mon 09-Sep-13 08:06:44

I agree Janey, there's not too much about having a newborn which is actually difficult and my ability to feel ok on very little sleep sometimes has been the most surprising (and pleasing!)

Do you think this is too casual for a wedding? It's a bit dull fine knit and plain so I could wear it casually over the winter with boots so wouldn't feel like I am wasting money so much. I tried it on yesterday but wasn't sure about it.
I also tried this on in brown which is TOTALLY GORGEOUS but at £400 I think I am going to have to count up my copper jar or spend some of the money I had set aside for Christmas presents on it. hmm Being on SMP is shite. sad

HazleNutt Mon 09-Sep-13 08:45:46

mother sorry, one of my cats does the same and only thing that helps is to cover the carrycot so he can't get in. Forgot it yesterday, went to check when I read your post and yes, there he was. He does not go in when the baby is in the pram though.

cavort it's a very cute dress and as you say, works for both casual wear or you can easily dress it up with some jewellery and heels. Unless it's a really fancy wedding where everybody else is in ball gowns, it should not be too casual.

HazleNutt Mon 09-Sep-13 09:15:56

As for life with newborn, I also have to agree that I'm not finding it difficult. Then again, Vic is such an easy baby. Was reading about colic yesterday - defined as "episodes of crying for more than three hours a day for more than three days a week for three weeks." shock
Since he was born, we have had just a few days when he was crying for more than a few minutes, once when he refused the bottle and 2 evenings when he was formula-fed and I think had gas. I found those quite exhausting, so if he was really crying for hours every day for weeks, the experience would be quite different.

MotherOfCleo Mon 09-Sep-13 09:16:59

Yes, very nice cav, could easily be dressed up or down as needed. I'm not really a leather jacket kind of girl, always find them hot when it's warm and cold when it's cold....I'm such a granny. It does look rather fantastic though, guess it would have to for £400...eeek.

I think that's all I can do hazel, I'm thinking of putting a big teddy in there or something so he can't get in, my OH is freaking out a bit but I don't think he would go anywhere near it if it had a baby in it. I am always impressed at a cats ability to find the warmest spot though!

This thread is not accepting new messages.