Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

February 2014 - the one where we start to find out if we're team pink or blue!

(1000 Posts)
jazzcat28 Wed 04-Sep-13 20:37:52

So I used the magic 1000th post in the last thread... ooops grin

CalloohCallay Mon 16-Sep-13 21:07:32

Just to say congrats to all those team blues, pinks and yellows so far and good luck for those with scans coming up.

I'm under consultant care this pregnancy and she's decided to bring us in on Wednesday for a chat about my medication due to last week's bleeding, which is good plus it means another scan grin

jazzcat28 Mon 16-Sep-13 21:08:05

Well jealous of all the scans envy mine isn't until 10th oct when I'll actually be over 21wks! Ages to wait but have a spa day and mini break to Rome inbetween to keep me occupied

DH's name suggestions this evening revolve around footballers or Harry potter - Peter (Schmeichal), Eric (Cantona) or Malfoy, Sirius or Ron

He did agree to two of my suggestions but can't think of his own realistic ideas so I'm gonna choose!

Think we have a top three girls list but boys proving more of a challenge

Shropshiremummy2B Mon 16-Sep-13 22:03:50

He is aware that Sirius and Malfoy were total douchebags isn't he?! And Ron was ginger. I'd go more Cedric Diggory myself.

What are everyone's thoughts on Henrietta? Does it sound too toff? This coming from le originale Percy lover. With Sophie as one middle name. Can't think of a third middle name but she has to have three names like me. Henrietta Sophie ....?.... Seward.

sunflowered Mon 16-Sep-13 22:04:52

jazz I'll keep you company, mine's not until the 7th.

Congratulations on all the blue/pink/yellow news smile

Somanychanges Mon 16-Sep-13 22:33:04

Shropshire I am not keen on Henrietta, maybe because it is my sister in laws name, kind of reminds me of an old lady name. But I love Sophie I think that is really lovely.

Milkandtwo Mon 16-Sep-13 22:33:46

I like henrietta, not so much hen for short but etta is lovely...(as a longer name it probably will get shortened, by her peers if not yourselves...) What about a short 3rd name, like Mia? Or Emily sounds nice with those names...

laura0007 Tue 17-Sep-13 05:51:48

Hmm not sure on henrietta. Won't it get shortened to Henry?

Poppy954 Tue 17-Sep-13 05:53:11

Sorry somany, not sure why I got that wrong. I also saw 3 magpies when I came out of my last scan. So easily influenced!!

Shropshiremummy2B Tue 17-Sep-13 07:20:36

Why are girls names sooooo difficult. I wonder if this is a sign that I'm having a Percy.

I don't want Sophie as a first name because its my sisters name and she's got a big enough head already. Plus DH prefers Sophia but that's a bit commen atm.

Back to the drawing board. A friend gave birth to Ophelia yesterday. Wish I'd thought of that name. Apparently it's Shakespeare. I'm more Made in Chelsea sadly.

Thingymajigs Tue 17-Sep-13 08:09:25

I find boys names very difficult but I have dozens of girls names to choose from. I guess it doesn't help that I've already used two of my favourite boys names and every other option belongs to my son's friends.
I had no idea there were so many of us on here with two boys on #3 poppy. I thought perhaps it was just me and one other.
Good luck with the scan today eeyore. smile

Thisisfreakingmeout Tue 17-Sep-13 08:21:22

I knew a Henrietta shorten her name to Hettie and although it may seem old lady-ish, she was very funky and that has made the name cool to me so don't be too put off by other people with the name. Your Henrietta would be THE Henrietta as soon as she was here.

sunflowered Tue 17-Sep-13 08:23:04

Shropshire my sister's middle name is Miranda (mum was reading Shakespeare at the time). It doesn't seem that out there now but she hated it at primary school sat between all the Sarah Janes and Emma Kates. Mind you, she hated a lot of things so that might just have been her.

Bump has doubled in size overnight. Must order some maternity clothes before I burst.

SugarMiceInTheRain Tue 17-Sep-13 08:27:12

jazzcat lol at your DH's name suggestions. My DH seems to favour names of the muppets hmm Gonzo anyone? Kermit? Jealous of your spa break & holiday booked. I need one of those!

I like Henrietta - love Etta as an abbreviation, though the two Henriettas I have come across have been known as Hen and Hennie. I have a few girls names I love (as I had lists of girls names I didn't use for DS1 and 2) but only a couple of boys names, which DH may well veto, even though I get about 90% of the say as DH won't have a sensible conversation about it! grin I have to go pretty traditional, as both boys have biblical names. I like... brace yourselves... Ezra. I know I'll get some hmm looks from people over it but I've only come across one IRL. Quite like Noah as well but there quite are a few of those about.

Milkandtwo Tue 17-Sep-13 08:30:24

I'm not asking people's opinions on my names as their judgement is based on their own personal experiences - was the person by that name at their school nice or nasty etc and also I couldn't give a rats arse what anyone thinks. I'll trust my own judgement not to lumber it with something inappropriate, like Stalin for example... We're telling people the gender but the name will be a surprise so I can avoid people offering an unasked for opinion too!

Somanychanges Tue 17-Sep-13 08:59:05

I agree Milk we should not worry about other people's opinions on our chosen names. Everyone has such different taste depending on their personality. My sister loves those older people names all 3 of her kids have one. My best friend loves biblical names and all her children are named from the bible, everyone is different. But I will still be asking oppinions as I like hearing what people think and I don't mind if people don't like it grin

I have one child with a biblical name and one with a more modern non traditional name. I would like another biblical one to be honest and there are plenty of boys that I like but no girls names that are to my liking.

sugar I love Ezra we know one little boy with that name.

I haven't actually looked through name books I did that for months when expecting my first and it was really exciting but third time round I just cannot be bothered. Maybe once I know the sex it will spur me on. My husband is so bloody picky and I wish he would just let me choose the name on my own. If we have had conversations about names we just cannot agree on anything. I really dislike his suggestions and he dislikes mine so that's also what is putting me off thinking of names.

We had named both of ours before they were born but I suspect this one may be namless.

17+6

gnittinggnome Tue 17-Sep-13 09:21:11

shropshire Henrietta is lovely! Etta is great, also Hettie as someone earlier said can be made into a good name. Ophelia however, in Hamlet, meets a sticky end - great Pre-Raphaelite painting, but ultimately dies before the end of the play. So whilst it's pretty, not so positive. How about Eloise as a third name? I think Henrietta Sophie Eloise Seward positively trips off the tongue (but also went to school with a mean Eloise so that was never on my top 5 list).

When we were first looking at names, I suggested, and DH also really liked Alice and Arthur - now we know we're having a boy, I'm dithering a bit on Arthur. If he takes after DH it will work very well - DH is a broad-shouldered hobbit-type chap (beard, long curly hair, twinkle in his eyes, pot belly, but taller than an actual hobbit!) and Arthur the name is associated with bears, legend, chivalry etc. I might pick a couple of back ups in case when Bean is born he doesn't seem like an Arthur. Art and Artie are good shortenings though, with the last name Ramirez, and he will inherit another Spanish family name that goes down the male line, apparently. It'll be a mouthful, either way!

21+2

sunflowered Tue 17-Sep-13 09:46:45

Agree with not relying too much on other people's opinions and associations - someone somewhere will have an objection to every name (eg dsis's strong objection to what I think is a nice middle name!) but I think as long as that association doesn't cause offence or upset to close family (eg db's recent ex's name), v close friends, or society in general (eg Stalin) it's a personal decision.

Good point about Ophelia meeting a sticky end though - will make sure I read all the way to the end if going for a literary name.

laura0007 Tue 17-Sep-13 10:03:38

Ophelia is beautiful! I'm just not brave enough to use it!

marzipanned Tue 17-Sep-13 10:23:38

I think Henrietta is lovely, agree that I'd shorten to Hettie. I think Annabel would also work for her third name. Or is there a family name you can use?

Sugar, I LOVE Ezra! And you can call him Ezzaboo when he's tiny (or not) smile

Gnitting, Arthur was one of my top boy's picks, mainly for the Art nn. But I think it's a good idea in general to have 2 or 3 up your sleeve and then when they come out you can see if they really don't suit whatever you chose.

I think we've got our name now, but keeping it private as well because (a) since we've told everyone the sex, it's good to have one surprise for the birth day! and (b) I told my MIL (who is generally lovely!) one of my favourite names and she was like "ugh! what a horrid name!" Well, we're not using it, but if we were I wouldn't like to think that it was being constantly judged behind my back!

winterflowers Tue 17-Sep-13 12:11:40

Henrietta is lovely, I tutored one once and she was a Hatty. So that's another option!

Wearing maternity trousers for the first time and it's a revelation! Wow they are comfy

Bearfrills Tue 17-Sep-13 12:37:44

I love Henrietta! Can't wait until my scan on the 4th as DH won't properly discuss names until after then. We're not telling anyone in RL what baby's name will be. We did with DS and everyone has a bloody opinion, it also seems that everyone has known someoe called such-and-such and he/she was a right workie ticket/klepto/slob/etc. So with DD we didn't tell anyone (except my mam and a close friend) until she was born, at which point no one dared say anything negative about her name.

If this one is a girl she will be Matilda I think. If its a boy it will rename nameless forevermore as every name I suggest is shot down by DH. I like Freddie (but would have Fredrick on birth certificate), Hugo and Sebastian (but hate Seb for short). DH doesn't like them. I absolutely love Hector. He absolutely loathes it. He likes Toby hmm

marzipanned Tue 17-Sep-13 12:51:22

I forgot to say earlier - half way today!

And my body has decided to celebrate by throwing up every single thing I put into it. Joy.

Bear I must admit I'm a big fan of Toby!

laura0007 Tue 17-Sep-13 13:03:28

I'm half way today too! And my scan is in two hours grin Lets hope baby0007 is being cooperative and not keeping its legs shut then hopefully ill know team pink or blue! I always get really nervous before scans, and it makes me pee more! I've already been to the loo twice in the last half an hour and I need to go again! Ill be owning shares in Andrex by the time this baby is born!

tinypolkadot Tue 17-Sep-13 13:04:35

Ooh I like Toby too! I'd forgotten about that one.

Halfway for me today as well marzipanned wine

My dilemma today is do I take the plunge and buy a maternity winter coat now (to get my money's worth) or try to last as long as possible without one?

Either way I can't decide between this one (with 15% discount)

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+navy-quilted-maternity-longline-jacket-in-coats-and-jackets+b4742

and this one (with 10% discount)

www.asos.com/ASOS-Maternity/ASOS-Maternity-Parka-With-Detachable-Faux-Fur-Lining/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3036599&SearchQuery=maternity%20coat&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Khaki

Loving the detachable fur lining on the second, but a bit pricey...

Bearfrills Tue 17-Sep-13 13:18:57

I kept my coat from before I lost three stone, that will be my maternity coat grin (I like the first one though)

Is anyone else getting random aches and twinges? I'm like a zombie when I very first wake up each morning, I shamble along until my legs and hips unstiffen. I can live with that but I had a little ten minute lie down before work and when I got up off the bed I got a pulled muscle shooting pain right across my lower abdomen. It went away completely and it doesn't hurt now but everything is going so well that I'm half waiting for something to go wrong (which I know is stupid). Probably ligaments? confused

This thread is not accepting new messages.