Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

February 2014 - the one where we start to find out if we're team pink or blue!

(1000 Posts)
jazzcat28 Wed 04-Sep-13 20:37:52

So I used the magic 1000th post in the last thread... ooops grin

Bearfrills Thu 05-Sep-13 08:02:21

Welcome to the newbies smile 16wks exactly here and due 19th Feb with DC3. Team Yellow so far but I'll hopefully e switching teams after my scan on 4th October. The thread moves quickly but don't be shy, jump on in grin

Speaking of team yellow, a couple we know had their baby yesterday. They were expecting another girl, instead they had an 11lb boy! It's the first time I've known someone who has it happen, usually it's friend of a friend of a friend stuff and you think "well really?". Must have been a shock when they caught a look at 'her' equipment!

DS has his first full day of reception today. He started on Tuesday with two half days then 9-3 today. He's very proud of himself, bless him, he thinks he's the bees knees with his little book bag and water bottle and is more excite about staying lunch than the actual schooling part grin

KoalaFace England Thu 05-Sep-13 08:12:23

Hi everyone! Like Callooh I have only just got brave enough to post in here. Had a MC in April at 12 weeks. I'm now 16 weeks and due 17th Feb. Had 16 week check yesterday and hearing baby's heartbeat has made me feel more confident and calm about everything!

Have the anomaly scan on 30th I'm hoping we'll be able to see if its a boy or girl.

Are you all planning to find out? Or do we have some people who want surprises?

I'm not on Facebook, will I be missing out?

Timpani Thu 05-Sep-13 08:24:35

Bookmarking smile

I'm not going to find out - I like surprises! I had a dream last night that it was a girl (tho it was DS who gave birth?!).

Told work this week - phew! It was ok!

Shropshiremummy2B Thu 05-Sep-13 08:30:22

Welcome Koala. I didn't ever want to find out..... Until I got pregnant! Now I'm itching to know. Alas DH has put his foot down. So I am reluctantly team yellow.

KoalaFace England Thu 05-Sep-13 08:37:17

You are both much stronger than I am! I am desperate to know. I have a 3yo DS and want to tell him whether he'll have a brother or sister.

Also, I just can't help myself! It must be amazing how excited you feel in the delivery room though!

Camwombat Thu 05-Sep-13 08:53:12

bear that must have been a shock for them. I hope they hadnt bought everything in pink!

I really want to know so cant wait to get the scan date. although I will be happy whatever team we are on.

marzipanned Thu 05-Sep-13 08:53:54

Bear no wise words to add as it's all already been said, but just offering support from here too.

I haven't used my doppler since the first fail - had massive puking fits after the midwife doppler and the gender scan, so I don't think little marzi likes being disturbed!

Shropshire I somewhat inadvertently outed myself too, but we're allowed to now, aren't we? We're nearly half way ("sooo close" she whimpers")

vix can't wait to hear your scan results!

Welcome to newbies - callooh I think between the lot of us here we've experienced fertility treatment, miscarriages, bleeding, baby health concerns... all sorts, so don't worry if things have been rocky, we're all here to support anyway.

18+2 team rose (sounds so much nicer than pink, non?)

marzipanned Thu 05-Sep-13 08:55:37

Doh didn't realise this thread was already in two pages.

Koala, so sorry to hear about your MC, but how wonderful that all is going well this time.

KoalaFace England Thu 05-Sep-13 09:15:07

Marzipanned that's funny about the doppler isn't it? Little Marzi must value their privacy!

I didn't have a preference either way when it comes to gender but being able to say I'm a member of Team Rose may have nudged it in that direction!

Camwombat Thu 05-Sep-13 09:52:28

I wouldnt worry about outing yourselves. My DH outed me to the whole pub at our leaving do, he was just so excited apparently. So I think nigh on everyone we know knows.

marzipanned Thu 05-Sep-13 10:11:37

The bear suit I ordered arrived this morning... it's so cute, but enormous!! Here's hoping for a cold April!!

(I naively didn't realise that 0-3months doesn't mean newborn-3 months)

laura0007 Thu 05-Sep-13 10:32:52

Marking my place on the new thread! I've definitely felt baby move this morning! There was no other possible explanation to what it could have been unless aliens have moved into my tummy grin

KoalaFace England Thu 05-Sep-13 10:43:38

laura How lovely! Has it made everything seem more real now you've felt them moving around in there?

winterflowers Thu 05-Sep-13 10:46:26

Marzipanned I'm still naive...is newborn a size all in itself? Clueless first timer here smile am holding off buying anything till after the 20 week scan but a cuddly bear suit sounds so cute!

LovesToBake Thu 05-Sep-13 10:59:38

Littlest you'll be finishing work the same time as me then, hurrah for finishing before Christmas and having a year off (or maybe more if I decide not to go back this time...) Am I right in thinking you have a DD? Will she stay in nursery during your mat leave (not sure how old she is)? We plan to reduce DS (18mo) to 2 days a week at his nursery starting when I go on mat leave so I can't wait for a lovely relaxing January where I have two days a week to myself before the madness of having two little ones commences!

Welcome Callooh and Winter - congrats!

Vix - so excited for you about the scan. Can't wait to hear whether you're pink or blue. Just over 4 weeks to go before we find out, eek!

Caught up on the last two episodes of Midwives last night and cried quite a lot. Could watch programmes like that all day long, love them!

LovesToBake Thu 05-Sep-13 11:01:47

Bearfrills I'm confused. I'm 16 weeks exactly today but the due date I've been given is 21st Feb! You're 16 weeks today and your due date is 19th Feb. Weird!

LovesToBake Thu 05-Sep-13 11:05:56

Sorry - also didn't realise this new thread was already on 2 pages! Winter - the sizing thing threw me as well first time round. It all depends on the birth weight, but unless it's a really chunky baby, you'll probably want 'newborn' size vests and sleepsuits for the early weeks. My DS was 7lb 5oz so very average size and was in these for a while before moving into '0-3' size. Also depends on the brand as they all differ a bit. Hope that helps!

Camwombat Thu 05-Sep-13 11:18:33

Seconding what Loves says. My ds was 9lb 4oz but long and skinny. Fortunately we had very minimal newborn stuff as he didnt ever really fit it and pretty much was straight into 0-3months for all of 6 weeks flaming giant but each brand is a slightly different fit so worth buying from several shops for comparison.

marzipanned Thu 05-Sep-13 11:27:40

I'm picking up a big bundle of 0-6 months clothes this weekend so think I'll supplement with some cheap plain vests and onesies in newborn size and then see what fits when little one rocks up!

LovesToBake I am also due 21st Feb and I am 15+6 today? Have you jumped a day ahead? grin

ds was also a very average 7lb 7oz and was in his newborn stuff for about a month, which think is about the norm. Newborn sizes = up to 1 month according to M&S. I got loads of vest in the Jan sale at M&S for ds so worth looking out for.

Littleen Thu 05-Sep-13 12:10:31

Welcome newbies smile

I think I have a preference for a girl this time and then a boy next! Only because I am terrified of kids, but as I have two sisters, I have some experience with girls already :P So it would be the easier first child for me, haha. Plus we agree on names, which we don't seem to do with boys! Is there any way little one can avoid showing us gender at a later scan? Will be 18+3 for my next scan!

winterflowers Thu 05-Sep-13 12:36:23

Laura that's so exciting you're feeling movement! Definitely makes it so very real.

Thanks for the advice on the clothes ladies! Have a feeling I may be asking many more naive questions in tje next few months.

And Litleen I am with you on the wanting a girl because it's more familiar, but that's because my OH has gone awol (to cut long story short) so will be raising them on my own. But do u not want to find out at your next scan??

SugarMiceInTheRain Thu 05-Sep-13 12:38:47

I haven't even thought about names yet! 15+6 today, feeling knackered and want to sleep instead of going in to help out at school this afternoon. Urgh.

Lovestobake If you're 16 weeks exactly today, your due date must be the 20th, as that's a Thursday. I'm 16 weeks tomorrow and my due date is 21st.

On the clothes front, I'm fully expecting this one to be in newborn clothes for a while then 0-3 months up til about 6 months - both my boys were under 7lb and grew slowly (I'm very petite, so no surprise really). I had to talk myself out of buying some more cute outfits today - don't need any more neutrals!! Roll on the 17th, after which I shall celebrate by buying a girl or boy outfit, depending on the scan!! I have already stocked up on baby wipes (on a really good deal in Costco) and have bought 3 packs of newborn nappies. Must stop spending! grin

Camwombat Thu 05-Sep-13 12:40:51

There are no naive questions when it cones to children!

Supermarket clothes are fine, and I'm glad I had those when DS was small, some of them went in the bin after nappy disasters... I think Asda are better quality than Tesco but thats just personal opinion.

EeyoreIsh Thu 05-Sep-13 12:45:54

welcome newbies. koala there are several of us on this thread who've had previous mc, so you're not alone. I've been super anxious but I'm chilling more now the bump is growing!

talking of which, my bump is huge today! I'm sure it's growing as the day goes along. I've spotted lots of glances at my tummy. my dress now has no give in it, I hope it doesn't spilt before I get home grin grin

for those of you that commute, have you found yourself getting over jumpy having people near you or brushing past you. I used to be a seasoned push slow people out of the way type commuter, but if anyone brushes past me now I get angry and flinch. It's like a baby protect button has been turned on!

For those suffering with backache still, mine has improved after doing some pregnancy pilates. I may now need to keep doing it!

This thread is not accepting new messages.