Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013 - swollen hands, puffy feet and we all need a decent sleep

(1000 Posts)
roxvox Tue 03-Sep-13 09:57:36

Time to start thread #17!

Spreadsheet here

Who's going to finish it ............. grin

GTbaby Tue 10-Sep-13 10:56:39

Phew! The urge to finish thread was taking over grin

PseudoBadger Tue 10-Sep-13 10:55:57
GTbaby Tue 10-Sep-13 10:53:39

Argh someone needs to link to a new thread! Quick!

Im on phone so can't do it for about half hour. As wont be able to link to it. Or to spreadsheet. Or the abbreviations list.

QUICK!

Umlauf Tue 10-Sep-13 10:53:37

flyer I'm thinking the same, I am desperate to get back into my normal jeans and have put so much bum and thigh weight on I really am going to need to do some exercise. Chatting with DH and he wants to lose weight too, do I think we are going to join the gym on a family membership after Xmas (gutted as really wanted to get back to normal by Xmas!) but until then going to go for at least hourly walks every day and maybe a DVD at home, not sure. But yes, the boob agony will be horrific even walking I think, I used to have to hold on the them when premenstrual just going up and down stairs and so this is likely to be 10x worse!!

Good luck legally and skull today, I can't wait to hear what you have had and names and weights etc!! I'm very jealous!!

Wickedgirl Tue 10-Sep-13 10:48:07

Natalie you save money by not paying petrol costs and buy not getting impulse buys. It's great, honestly!

Wickedgirl Tue 10-Sep-13 10:46:57

Funnies 1

Natalieand Tue 10-Sep-13 10:46:30

I've not done food shopping online b4 but always thought it was free I definately won't be doing it in a rush now, I hate paying extra for things like that lol not that I'm a tight wad or anything

Hopefully it settles back down for u later in the day pseudo

My buggy car seat and isofix r being delivered today (just as well as this cold and ear ache is making me want to have a duvet day anyway) apparently between 9.30-11.30, ill believe it when I see it they will blaitantly come at 12.30 when I go to collect dd from play school

Flyer747 Tue 10-Sep-13 10:43:53

I received the boots parenting club magazine yesterday, it had a voucher for £20 off an Ocado online shopping, so going to make use of that. Also sainsburys always have offers £15 off when you spend £60 or more.

Thanks for all the advice on exercising. Like everyone said it'll depend on labour, sleeping, breast feeding and pseudo I did also think of running with full breasts may be a bit painful.

Can't wait to hear the baby news so exciting.

Does anyone receive those Glossy Box things through the post? I was bought mine as a gift at Xmas and still receive them, today's has just arrived with Nipple Cream in of all things, (it actually says to use as lip balm) but is actually designed for BF ladies, it's called DR Lipp.

Wickedgirl Tue 10-Sep-13 10:37:20

Natalie the price for delivery varies from £3.50 up to £6 for a tesco shop delivered to your door. You can do collection in the store for free but I want it delivered to my kitchen so that all I have to do is put it away.

pseudo remember to click "no substitutions" otherwise you end up with really random things. There was a mumsnet thread years ago about weird substitutions and it was hilarious the things that the staff thought would be acceptable ie instead of tampons......a bar of chocolate was substituted.

roofio87 Tue 10-Sep-13 10:34:07

back from mw, 36+4. all looking good. baby still head down and straight with his back to my front. He's either a tiny bit engaged or very close to being, too hard to tell, but definitley heading in the right direction. seeing her at home next week which will be nice. just got to sit back and wait for things to happen now!!

Wickedgirl Tue 10-Sep-13 10:32:07

Flyer I would say at least 6 weeks. Don't underestimate how much your body has gone through to grow a new person and to then give birth. Please give your body a chance to recover, even if you have an "easy" birth and everything goes well.

PseudoBadger Tue 10-Sep-13 10:31:47

Thanks Wicked I will be doing online starting next week I think, but I hate the lack of control grin so am delaying it!

Nat that BP is high for me. And like Tarlia my PE came on around now so I'm keeping an eye out.

Sparkeleigh Tue 10-Sep-13 10:31:42

helping to fill up the thread grin

lol, brilliant shire!

I'm SC here at 34+5.. only 38 days to go until EDD! shock feels like forever!

Good luck today tarlia hope your checkup is uneventful!

falcon & legally good luck! Can't wait to hear your news though possibly not as much as yourselves grin

flyer I'd heard somewhere that 5 weeks is recommended? No idea where I heard it though. But possibly a lot of it is about blood loss? I'm guessing it might be tricky to get into serious exercise with the lochia afterwards...

On a random note about not googling mucus plugs - at my antenatal class the midwife repeatedly said they don't need to see photos when you arrive at the hospital, so please please don't show them photos of it. That was enough to make me go shock But then she said someone had scooped it out of the toilet and put it into a food bag, so when they asked if she'd lost her plug, she said yes, and pulled it out of her handbag envy << vomit!

Natalieand Tue 10-Sep-13 10:31:08

wicked I thought deliveries were free when u ordered your shopping online ?

SeriousStuff Tue 10-Sep-13 10:30:49

Just lit the first fire of autumn/winter 2013...purely for the purpose of making sure the chimney isn't blocked. It was lovely and really got me excited about being in our cosy living room with the baby with the evenings closing in (even started thinking where I was going to put the Christmas tree this year!)

I love this time of year - crisp mornings, changing colours, stews and crumbles!

Sorry, just a minor digression from my hectic morning!

PseudoBadger Tue 10-Sep-13 10:30:18

It definitely depends on your birth Flyer - my emcs knocked me for six! Also I'm not sure how you're intending to feed but if BFing firstly you might not like to run etc with 'full' breasts, also whenever I made plans so DP would have DS, DS would decide he wanted a big long feed, or a few close together. I would forget about anything more planned than walks with the pram for at least 6 weeks.

Wickedgirl Tue 10-Sep-13 10:28:31

Pseudo.......do an online order and then sleep. Because of my SPD, I haven't done supermarket shopping in ages. Instead, I just get one or two deliveries a week straight to my kitchen. So much easier. Tesco do an unlimited delivery thing for £60. That gives you up to one delivery a day (min order £40), for 6 months. It means that as the weather gets worse, I won't have to traipse a newborn round a super market either.

takingachance Tue 10-Sep-13 10:27:00

Hi flyer I'm the same in wanting to get back to exercising- I'm still going to the gym (not running!) and the pool just now. As it was over 8 years ago since I had dd I am finding it hard to remember how manic it was, though I do remember doing a lot of walking with her in the sling which helped with fitness and sanity...

I think the difference this time is I am going back to work much much sooner (January) whereas with dd I had 14 months off work. So this time I will be expressing/bottle feeding much earlier which may mean I get a tiny bit more freedom for the gym, etc and also, I need to get my fitness back to be able to do my job....

Smitten1981 Tue 10-Sep-13 10:23:04

I'be been thinking the same Flyer. I think you have to wait about 6 weeks before starting to exercise.

I'd love to think I'll have the drive to get back into it, but I bet I won't. I think i'll just start off with baby/dog walks for about an hour a day and see how I go.

Hopefully the fresh October air will make the baby sleep. I think there's a few Pramercise (or something) classes where you can take your baby and exercise too.

Hard to say flyer I used to walk a lot with DD1, but had her in march so was nice weather, walked miles with her in pushchair. DD2 we had dog so again a lot of walking, joined gym when she was 1 and put her in crèche as was training for London marathon! There was a woman there who was back at gym at 6 weeks leaving her baby in the crèche x

Natalieand Tue 10-Sep-13 10:21:26

flyer I would say if u have a straight forward no stitches birth then I wouldn't begin exercise any earlier than 2 weeks before. And even then u may not feel like an hour or gym or running start slow and build up as not only will u have just had a baby but u will be 9 months out of practice

Tiredness. My dd was a 3 hourly feeder and settled back very well after so I consider I had it easy-ish for a newborn and although your tired u just get on with it its different to pregnancy tiredness. And for the first 2 weeks I found myself in bed asleep by 8pm while I adjusted lol.

3. Yes I would leave baby at home for an hour with dp/dh. Although hormones may make u feel like u don't want to for the first few weeks may make u feel guilty etc he is daddy after all :-) just remember as well as being a mum u are still u xx

Just my opinions not everyone may agree

Flyer747 Tue 10-Sep-13 10:15:19

Ladies can I ask a probably daft question, I really really want to get back into exercising ASAP after giving birth

1. Is this likely and if so how long would you think before I can head to the the gym for an hour or go for a run.

2. Am I being totally idiotic even asking this question? I have no idea what to expect from tiredness, how busy you are with a baby etc.

3. DP works from home a lot would you leave your small baby for an hour
early on with your other halves to go and exercise.

In sure alot of you will read this and think I'm being a total tit even asking! grin

snowgal Tue 10-Sep-13 10:13:16

This thread moves so fast, I can't believe some of you are having babies already (makes me feel VERY disorganised!!). Good luck to those having CS today, hope it all goes ok smile x

Natalieand Tue 10-Sep-13 10:09:55

I say supermarket the sleep pseudo also my bp was always around 135/90 with my last pregnancy and I was on daily aspirin to reduce the risk to me. I'm also on the aspirin this time but my bp hasn't been as high. Did u have PE last time? X

This thread is not accepting new messages.