Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013 - swollen hands, puffy feet and we all need a decent sleep

(1000 Posts)
roxvox Tue 03-Sep-13 09:57:36

Time to start thread #17!

Spreadsheet here

cuillereasoupe Tue 03-Sep-13 11:42:10

I had my bloods done yesterday (I have them every month because I'm not immunised for toxoplasmosis) and the guy guessed from the size of my bump that I was four months preg with a girl hmm. Wrong on every count buddy.

Tarlia Tue 03-Sep-13 11:44:42

sephy he is almost 2.7 but bilingual so still not at long expressive sentence stage, though he seems to understand everything, when he chooses to listen, typical toddler. He loves babies and is very kind and gentle to smaller kids, but it's very different when you are stuck with it every day I guess. We will see, I hope he will be fine.

badger def watch Dexter, it's great. Agree the first couple are a bit strange, but you'll be hooked.

Flyer747 Tue 03-Sep-13 11:46:48

Welcome back sisteroutlaw.

Anybody seen cherrycherry41 in recent times? Are you lurking as well cherry?

Pink and Umlauf after months of feeling like a complete frump and not being able to wear heels (other than suffering in the name of fashion at weddings) I say we all deserve to buy ourselves some trendy boots or shoes which are totally impractical for buggy use but sod it they'll look fab when we are walking down the street (or more likely round the house in my case) out with the flats bring back the heels grin

Warlin Tue 03-Sep-13 11:48:38

My goodness 17 threads already! Surely there will be a birth on this one smile

Sorry for the me me post but im stressed out. Went to mw and baby has turned transverse again. Heartbeat and growth fine but lying right across me. As I'm 36 weeks I've been sent for a scan this Friday. Hope he turns as the thought of a section terrifies me. Also mw said if I go into early labour it's dangerous as if waters break and the head isn't pushing down it can suck the cord down...eek. Terrified now as my waters broke at 37 weeks with ds. She said to keep as active as possible and not sit around to encourage him to turn...bloody typical as I that's exactly what I wanted to do for the next couple of weeks. Thought I was on the home straight but now I've all this uncertainty sad

Off out for dh's birthday lunch but will catch up on posts later. Hope everyone is doing ok.

roxvox Tue 03-Sep-13 11:54:39

Sorry to hear you've had a stressful morning Warlin. Fingers crossed for you that baby turns before your scan on Friday.

MrsHoratioNelson Tue 03-Sep-13 11:58:44

Checking in. Neither swollen hands nor feet (well, not permanently anyway) but definitely in need of sleep. Ironically, I slept better last night and feel worse today!

sorry you are in the same situation warlin, hope baby turns. My scan is actually 3.30 i got it wrong but as i said i am petrified of cs too apparently 80% turn before due so fingers crossed xxxx

Smitten1981 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:27:13

pseudo YES carry on, Dexter is my favourite, love it! Although the first two series are by far the best, so if you're not liking them you might not fare well later on. I was gripped from the start.

I had a rubbish night last night, my tummy really hurt and i felt sick all night, combined with the acid reflux that was not fun.

Something is sticking out of my side towards my back, I realised it hurt when I was sitting on the sofa and it dawned on me it was the baby, it feels very hard so not sure what part it is but I can't lean on the sofa arm until it moves - grrr!

Flyer747 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:39:26

Warlin hmm I hope she turns ASAP these babies are a worry.

Good Luck Falcon.

I've just booked in for my placenta to be picked up, steamed in chilli lemon and ginger and retuned in herbal tablet form grin I've to take in a 2litre Tupperware box to the hospital with me, and ask the mw to pop it in there with some ice and it will be collected later by the lady who will transform it! She is a mw and does it at her home grin £150. I reckon you'll all think i have a screw loose. I did turn down the placenta smoothie though, honest mixed with berries and banana for a quick instant shot before you start on the tablets!

HeffalumpTheFlump Tue 03-Sep-13 12:50:12

Hiya, is it ok if I join? I'm due 12 october, making me 34 weeks. I'm starting to struggle a little bit and would love to chat to others around the same point as me.

I'm having a girl by cesarean at 39 weeks (if she hangs in there long enough). I'm excited but terrified! Hope you don't mind me joining in.

Sparkeleigh Tue 03-Sep-13 12:50:40

Wow, how fast do we get through threads?! Checking in grin

Umlauf lol, that's so weird! Surely no one has ever said yes to that!?

pseudo I love the name Caoimhe... It's so pretty. On a completly separate note, I can't stand Dexter, it makes me want to throw things at the TV...

Warlin I haven't looked at it, but I've heard lots of people recommend the website spinning babies to get the baby to turn? Fingers crossed for you... flowers

Smitten I've been taking Yakult for about a month now, I was wondering if they were actually doing anything but I ran out last week and now my reflux/heartburn is back in force and ouch! I got more on Sunday and I'm hoping they kick in soon... Might be worth a try? I didn't have to buy more galviscon until last week!

17.5 working days till maternity leave! grin

Hi ladies just checking on sparkly new thread!

Flyer actually a bit jealous of your plans for your placenta! smile DH would never support me in doing it, he won't let me have a home birth either!

Hope all the naughty babies get themselves in better positions over next few weeks, pretty sure this one is no longer head down as getting massive movements all over as opposed to the one side jabs I was getting last week, it's very stuck out to the front, neither low or high, just out! will post pic to fb later!

HotSoupDumpling Tue 03-Sep-13 13:06:00

CHECK IN!

Hello heffalump! I'm also feeling a mix of excitement and terror.

Umlauf Tue 03-Sep-13 13:17:14

Hello sister ! It's frustrating to have other people's opinions of names thrust upon you, isn't it. I do love Ray as well, I knew some lovely old man Rays (all sadly passed away) but it makes me feel warm and loved whenever I hear that name because of them. It has such lovely connotations. Albert is an awesome name (of course I'd say that!) but wasn't Hitchcock and Alfred? Equally as awesome, especially if you say it in a northern accent a la Downton Abbey "young Alfred!"

And hello and welcome heffalump LOVE the user name, my parents live nr ashdown forest and we used to go on walks looking for heffalumps! Never saw them but often found their droppings (chocolate buttons!) congrats on your baby girl, do you have any other children? Do you have names in mind?

Sparkeleigh they think we're siblings because we have the same surname and nobody in Spain does that. Instead they have two surnames, the mothers and the fathers, so if you were Jane smith jones and you married John brown green, your child would become baby smith brown (I think). So when they see two people with the same surname they automatically think 'siblings!' It's just bothering me how much they are questioning it! They are going to try and give our baby the same surname when we register him, so he will be Albert B-- B--, which is why I'm hoping that my marriage certificate and old passport will be enough to get my maiden name on there as the first surname in Spain, and as a middle name in the UK (if that makes sense!!!)

Which boots did you get flyer in the end, do you have a link?! I always use the "oh this old thing?!" line on Dh!! It usually works... I told him about your placenta thing and how I wanted it done and he thought I was bonkers! I don't think I'll be able to do it here in Spain, but its great what it says about holding off the baby blues. I'm really worried about those, I'm prone to emotional problems and am really worried about PND and how it's diagnosed and treated here. pink a fur lining sounds amazing, perfect for long winter walks with the pram. I might buy some fur insoles off eBay for these new boots (if there is room in them, I doubt that considering the size of my feet ATM!)

Flyer747 Tue 03-Sep-13 13:50:00

Umlauf I went for the studded camel ones. I don't know how to put a link on here that enables you to click onto it.

Yeah I thought I'd give the placenta thing a whirl, it may well be a load of old cobblers but I've lost months of my life in the past through depression (only mild) but I've often struggled to get out of the house, been on medication, signed off work etc so I thought £150 was worth it if it helps me not get PND and dp was very supportive and offered to pay. He has many faults especially of recent, but I give him his dues he always supports me in things i want to try out.

Welcome to the bus heffalump smile

Flyer747 Tue 03-Sep-13 13:51:56

Pseudo I also love your name sorry I can't spell it and can't scroll back, but the pronunciation sounds classy but unusual. I've never heard of that name before and really like it.

snowgal Tue 03-Sep-13 13:52:20

I've been lurking... mainly because I find it hard to keep up with how fast the thread moves!

33 weeks now, and baby is either sleeping or wriggling like bonkers, unfortunately we don't seem to be able to coordinate our sleep patterns so he/she is going crazy in the night. Finding pregnancy much harder this time round with a toddler to look after, DS is 21 months and is yet to sleep the whole night through, however I see this a good thing as it means being up all night with a newborn isn't going to be such a shock to the system this time round! Have a lovely routine of being sick every morning which hasn't helped me enjoy this pregnancy, I have a phlegm-y cough and my gag reflex means as soon as I start coughing I have to be sick - which means I've given up on having breakfast. As suspected midwife doesn't think there is anything they can give me so I'm just counting down the days (49 days according to edd) until this pregnancy is over....

For those with breech babies, DS was breech from about 28 weeks and steadfastly refused to budge one little bit. Had two attempts at ECV (one with male consultant who thought he could move baby by brute force - mildly uncomfortable... second with female doctor who had one try then agreed that DS's bottom was wedged firmly into my pelvis). I think the most concerning thing with ECV was the fact it was done on labour ward (so we could hear other women giving birth) and the fact that they had to have a theatre prepped incase I went into labour there and then. As I think someone mentioned the ECV success rate isn't particularly high but I was keen to do anything I could to avoid having a ELCS. Spinning Babies website does have good suggestions, similar to those suggested by my yoga teacher, however I can't help thinking that sometimes a baby is breech and there is nothing you can do about it. Oh and I tried moxibustion (alternative therapy suggested by various midwives at the hospital) absolutely horrific give me an ECV any day, seemed to involve therapist burning a huge stinky cigar between my toes...was supposed to keep doing it at home but there was no way I was having that stench in my house. Although I was really keen to avoid having an ELCS it turned out to be a really calm, if somewhat surreal, experience, and I was lucky to recover really quickly.

Fingers crossed that this time I'll get to have a VBAC, baby is head down so now dependent on placenta having moved up and consultant agreement (he seemed quite pro-ELCS). If it wasn't for DS I would be happy either way but hate the thought of not being able to pick him up for 6 weeks (he's a robust nearly 14kg)

You guys have some lovely names chosen, we're still undecided. Probably Florence or Flora for a girl and pretty clueless for a boys name yet again (it took 4-5 days to name DS)

Sorry for all the rambling.

PseudoBadger Tue 03-Sep-13 14:01:58

"I've just booked in for my placenta to be picked up, steamed in chilli lemon and ginger and retuned in herbal tablet form" Oh my goodness! <pushes away steamed oriental salmon lunch> grin
Why do they have to 'cook' it like that? I do admire you!

HeffalumpTheFlump Tue 03-Sep-13 14:18:43

Hello! Thanks for the warm welcome smile nice to know I'm not alone in being slightly terrified.

Umlauf - this is my first baby, and we have decided to call her Daphne, middle name Annabelle. As long as she doesn't arrive and look nothing like a Daphne!

Snowgal - my baby has turned nocturnal too! I feel her every time i wake up to use the loo, which is now a ridiculous 8 or 9 times a night! She has little wiggles in the daytime, but nothing like the acrobatics at night. Worryingly I have been told its an indication of their wakeful periods once born!
It's nice to hear that your elcs experience was positive, I'm bricking it about mine.

Has anyone else had problems with fainting? I keep passing out sad I'm eating and drinking plenty so I'm not sure what's wrong. Seeing the midwife thursday so will ask then.

SeriousStuff Tue 03-Sep-13 14:34:23

Tarlia and Sephy after reading your bilingual discussion, I wondered if anyone else on here is/will be raising a bilingual baby and will any of you be introducing a third language at a young age?

Our baby will get two languages from birth and we're really keen to expose it to a third as early as possible.

Started working this morning at 7.30am as woke up way too early. Was napping by 12pm and woke in time for a conference call at 2pm. Now in a complete daze!

legallyblond Tue 03-Sep-13 14:36:11

Busy busy today..... Will catch up later, but checking in. Still here in one piece... One week to go! This might be the thread when the twins arrive! Sorry - I'll pick up with everyone later.

Umlauf Tue 03-Sep-13 14:46:16

serious although we are both English the baby will be in a bilingual nursery from about 11 months, I'm quite worried as he will only have heard English and then go straight to hearing 2 other languages (Spanish and Basque). Every school and nursery here is either only Basque, or half Basque half Spanish, so we don't have the option of just Spanish. I've read it has a delaying effect on speech development so I'm a little concerned, but as we don't have a choice we will have to go with it!

We will try and speak Spanish to the baby as much as possible but neither of us are fluent and it will be quite unnatural. I think the baby will be linguistically very confused.

Shirehobbit Tue 03-Sep-13 14:52:39

I don't know, I go back to work and not only is there a whole new thread, but pages to read and lots of new people grin <waves>

Looks likely that the start of my maternity leave will be delayed for a week (20th Sep) but we'll see how this week goes.
Hope everyone is ok and fx for all breeches/scans.

SeriousStuff Tue 03-Sep-13 15:08:51

Hi Umlauf - they do say sometimes babies/children who are exposed to 2 languages sometimes take longer to vocalise themselves fully at the same rate as monoglots, but once it clicks, there's no stopping them! I wasn't exposed to English until I was 5 years old and I don't even remember actually learning it. It was just something else you absorbed. I like to think I turned out ok so I'm sure your DC will be fine and it will be invaluable for them in years to come.

Maybe I'm being a bit ambitious too soon with introducing a third. It will get one language from me and one from DH...maybe we just gauge as we go along when to introduce the next one!

char1eston Tue 03-Sep-13 15:22:06

Welcome heffalump and welcome back lurkers - good to have you back in the fold smile
As umlauf said if there's anyone else lurking, do come back and feel free to join the Facebook group if you want to (currently posting bump pics, recipes and nursery photos). If you pm me, I can add you.
Love your names, pseudo. Wish we could agree on something.
I've been a bit of a dribbler too and getting an exceptionally dry mouth. I also had a funny dream last night that I got married! It wasn't to dp though but to one of the dad's in the Nct group!!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.