Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2013- Annoying "Any news?" texts, maternity leave and BABIES!

(792 Posts)
fl0b0t Wed 28-Aug-13 18:41:58

Looks like we need another new thread blush- we've been rather busy!

Up to date (ish) Stats thread here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/a1694946-September-2013-STATS-THREAD

As previously- Welcome newbies! If anyone wants to join the Facebook group (better for sharing documents and pictures- especially picture of gorgeous babies), please message myself or jennimoo with your real life name and email address and we can add you to the group!

Bring on the irritating texts from family members and best friends to find out whether you've had your babies or not (like you wouldn't tell them.....), more weird and disgusting labour symptoms, more internal examinations than you can shake a stick at, and LOTS OF BABIES!

weeblewobbling Wed 28-Aug-13 19:01:37

Oooo fresh thread

jennimoo Wed 28-Aug-13 19:14:11

Muslin over the head end of the basket crib makes the sheets last longer and can be quickly taken off in the night. Pillow cases work as Moses basket sheets. I'd get something to swaddle with as unless they sleep through right away you'd probably want to try swaddling just in case it does the trick, and lots of babies are too small to start in gro bags.

Labouring on your due date means you get lots of texts asking how you're doing, and by not replying people sort of guess!

Ben is feeding fairly well now, although super sleepy (in the day...) and have to strip him right off to persuade him to wake enough to feed!

Mooster1709 Wed 28-Aug-13 19:15:49

Arrrrgh. Still contracting every 13 mins. Agony. For 15 sodding hours. I really thought it would all be much faster than this... By the time I get to hospital I will be absolutely exhausted.

On bedding, I think all the gro bag type things only work on quite big babies, so worth getting some sheets and blankets too to begin with.

thanks for the new thread fl0

kipsonline Wed 28-Aug-13 19:29:23

Ooh hello new thread! Yes to muslin over head end of fitted sheet in Moses basket and pram. Fraser has conjunctivitis and am therefore changing the muslin every sleep, but loads easier to wash and replace than a new sheet each time. He's too small for gro bags yet so I tuck a cellular type blanket across his body under his arms and down under the Moses mattress, that seems to work ok. My hospital midwife said the latest advice is not to swaddle, so my swaddle blanket from DS1 remains in the drawer ;) Fraser self soothes by sucking his fingers anyway and likes a wriggle so swaddling wouldn't suit him in any case...

CharlW1 Wed 28-Aug-13 19:39:17

Marking my place - still in hospital - still having regular contractions and just waiting to see a consultant to see about another pessary to help me dilate. You ladies are definitely keeping me going smile

TripleRock Wed 28-Aug-13 19:57:47

Hi all!

The double sheet thing - I did this because I purposely didn't bother to buy a mattress protector for the crib mattress. Seems a waste for such a short use. But equally didn't want a damp sicky mattress, not much you can do with that in the middle of the night!

So double sheets and yy to the folded muslin too. Tbf, DD was a mega sicky baby so please don't think I'm mental....

Fozziebearmum2be Wed 28-Aug-13 20:06:57

Need to remember we have this thread! Spend all my time on fb smile

Thanks for the tip around gro bags, I bought a couple but couldn't help but think they were huge!

DH is tickled by the other suggestions for texts back to nagging PILs that I read him off FB. That was the one from MIL which said "any news?" and DH wrote back my suggestion: "yes we're very worried about the situation in Syria." She has now written back "YOU KNOW that's not what I meant! I just want to know everything's ok." We are ignoring for now. Everything's definitely not ok in Syria, anyway. Horrible.

DH finished off the parts of the hedge I couldn't reach later this afternoon (I should point out I mean the literal actual garden hedge, not fanjo preparation) and mowed the clippings into bits on the lawn, so the garden looks presentable, hopefully for some sunshiney first baby pictures soon... get out get out get out dammit. (40+1)

weebarra Wed 28-Aug-13 20:24:43

Hope things speed up for you soon Charl!
Freya and I are home happily now - I'm eating tea on the sofa while she snoozes in the moses basket. Thanks for all your good wishes!

Bippidee Wed 28-Aug-13 20:27:54

Thanks for the bedding tips ladies! I hadn't even thought of double sheeting, though I had heard the muslin tip. Looks like a big browse'n'buy day on amazon tomorrow.... I need more sheets!

jennimoo Wed 28-Aug-13 20:30:41

I found asda was cheapest for sheets and they were all fine in the past.

badguider Wed 28-Aug-13 20:47:31

I can't believe you were hedge trimming rake (literally not metaphorically) smile

I am stiff and sore after hoovering the livingroom and hall and walking to the hairdresser and back (only about half a mile away).

Tomorrow's grand plans are to bake a cake for my ante-natal yoga group, clean the bathroom and then go to yoga..... that seems like challenge enough for me grin

kipsonline Wed 28-Aug-13 20:57:03

Sending good dilation vibes Charl and mooster. Good luck x

Joskar Wed 28-Aug-13 21:15:30

Things that are not a good idea: Allowing DH's friends to invite themselves (and their two month old baby) to stay when I am 38 weeks pregnant. On the upside I will get to serve the mint jelly I made! Alongside homegrown lamb, homegrown spuds, homegrown beans and homegrown kohlrabi. I am indeed a modern (and much, much fatter) version of Felicity Kendal.

Thinking happy, contraction (SURGE!!) thoughts for all the induction/labour ladies. Rake I can't believe that trimming a hedge hasn't kickstarted labour! Maybe scrub floors? If you haven't got any dirty floors to hand you can come here and I'm sure I can find you some!

PurplePoppySeed Wed 28-Aug-13 21:33:48

Yey to new thread, thanks fl0 likewise great to me you and ready yesterday, we must do it again + anyone in the Surrey/Hampshire borders that want to join us?

juniper9 Wed 28-Aug-13 21:44:28

I officially live in Surrey now. None of that London crap for me anymore! To be fair, I live in Kingston so it it very close to London still.

I've knackered both my hands- think it's carpel tunnel brought on by doing too much. Painted neat plaster yesterday which was hard work, then woke up with very sore joints in both hands. It started last week when I sawed a hole for a cat flap in our wooden door blush Think I need to accept I'm not capable of doing thr same things anymore- I seem to just wreck my body when I try.

Checking in. Good luck Charl and Mooster!

LotsaTuddles Wed 28-Aug-13 22:00:14

Just checking in and marking place.

fl0, I don't really know how to send a private message so that I can give you my real name for fb blush

Wincher Wed 28-Aug-13 22:06:48

Hello all, marking place.

juniper I'm an ex-Kingston resident...moved along the river to Staines...still inside the m25 tho (just) ;-)

Marking my place

HettySunshine Wed 28-Aug-13 22:24:56

Just checking in. My tummy is going hard at very regular intervals. It doesn't hurt but is uncomfortable. Could this be the start of something? I haven't had anything else - show etc. eeeeekkkkkk if it is!

flipflump Wed 28-Aug-13 22:50:09

Charl, I've been checking Facebook all day for updates from you. Hope you're managing to rest/sleep and you have some news to share soon. How many magazines have you got through?

ION, I've missed having the odd bit of chocolate due to GD. My DH took me to Hotel Chocolat to pick a post birth treat after I'd seen the consultant today. I've got a mini slab and some truffles to look forward to . . . that's why I married him!! Oh, he also knows to have the Brie and pâté ready!!!

frogchops Thu 29-Aug-13 00:03:26

That's lovely flip! I've got a bag of pretzels waiting for me, that I will inhale hopefully heartburnless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now