Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2014 (thread 8) Half way there just about! Finding out pink or blue

(1000 Posts)
BuntCadger Tue 13-Aug-13 11:13:23

New thread for us, can't believe another one filled! Half way there girls smile on the homeward stretch smile xx

Mac2014 Wed 14-Aug-13 21:05:16

Yay toby glad you've got your date through.

frizz I've got my scan next Friday too. I'm doing the same and am holding off doing lots of things until after that. Just want to be certain all is ok!!

toby and book hurrah at last! Also, now you have hardly ANY waiting for it!
Mine is a week yesterday, and I feel like frizz, no idea why I'm worrying so much, but I am. I think it was not hearing the heartbeat at 16 weeks, I've felt in limbo ever since.

tarka your bleeding hasn't recurred has it? Also, I keep meaning to ask, are you a mw? You sound really knowledgeable when people have concerns.

Was v naughty today and took day off to go for lunch with a friend and then shopping with my stepmother-in-law (FIL's 2nd wife? Is that the right term?) - she is Russian and a DEMON shopper! Three hours and she was already £800 down - I was just there for the ride! It was ace fun though, and she very sweetly bought me a bottle of perfume.

sarahleanne Wed 14-Aug-13 21:12:13

tobyand toothfairy im glad i'm not the only one not finding out on that day grin and toby what I did at my last scan with second baby is when the sonographer scanned down the lower half of body we asked for warning and looked away. That way we knew that we wouldn't accidentally see something and then be convinced that we know.

SarahJayne321 Wed 14-Aug-13 22:00:59

Just checking in smile my scan is next Weds too, so many of us!

We're going to find out, if no legs are crossed that is...

Mac2014 Wed 14-Aug-13 22:07:28

We're not planning on finding out either. It will be something to think about other than it's health or the mind boggling pain I'm anticipating.

Also got the dates for our NCT through. They run from 29 - 38 wks for me, so i hope we finish before it arrives!

BuntCadger Thu 15-Aug-13 07:24:37

Lol at the sex dreams. I had lots when preg with dd but none this time around as yet. Off to France today and am very excited smile hope you all a a fab couple of weeks.
I'm still torn on finding out gender tbh as did with 1st 2 and 3rd had legs crossed so was a surprise.

BookTart Thu 15-Aug-13 08:08:36

Ooh, have a nice holiday bunt!
We aren't finding out either, DP is dead against it and I'm not fussed either way.
Still no movement here, which is starting to worry me a bit. I think the scan next week will be great, but I am a bit nervous about it!

extracrunchy Thu 15-Aug-13 08:51:04

Hi everyone! Just checking in to say hi after a bit of a disappearing act (things at home and loads of hectic stuff meant no time/energy to think about anything on top) - hope you've all been well!

We had 20 week scan yesterday, all good and definitely a girl. Feels good to be on the home strait! Though still feels like AGES...

Have you all started preparing in earnest?! I had a bizarre and intense weekend of nesting! Didn't have the urge with DS particularly, but this was compulsive! Have been given lots of little girl bits and sorted through reusable boy bits, and they're all washed, new chest of drawers bought, assembled and filled, cot's up, pump/sling etc out of the attic... Feel very organised, if a bit mental!

Also wondering... DS was a spring/summer baby so wasn't a huge issue, but keeping a newborn warm - are you all going with a heavy duty snowsuit or lots of layers?

TarkaTheOtter Thu 15-Aug-13 08:57:24

Haha humpty not a midwife just a self-confessed know-it-all. I was a (non-medical) researcher before my dd and have found it hard to switch off so tend to do loads of reading into things/ask my consultant about things. Also l seem to have quite complicated pregnancies.
No, luckily no more bleeding despite them saying they could see there was still blood at my 12 week scan. I guess my body must have reabsorbed it.

TobyLerone Thu 15-Aug-13 09:00:06

Snowsuits are quite annoying. They're kind of stiff and super padded and get in their faces when they're in the car seat etc. It's also hard to make sure they're cool enough when you're going in and out of shops and cars.

Layers are where it's at. I think we're going to get one of these instead of a snowsuit. Much easier to open to cool them down, and to get them in and out of.

TarkaTheOtter Thu 15-Aug-13 09:00:30

Wow extra that's incredibly organised. We recently got all our baby stuff down from the loft, cooed over the tiny baby clothes, got scared and shoved it all back up there.

TobyLerone Thu 15-Aug-13 09:04:09

I'd like to be more organised! My sister (who is giving us loads of baby clothes) has just been made redundant, so I'll have to get her to get all the stuff out so I can wash it and see what else we need to get.

After the scan I'll try to be more on top of things. New car is top of the agenda. We've been procrastinating, but it really needs to be done. If I want to order a brand new one, it could take 3 months, so we really ought to get on with it soon.

Sultanajo Thu 15-Aug-13 09:56:26

humpty not being able to tear your DH away from the iPad stall - that sounds about right! The iPad is coming with us to the spa - couldnt possibly be parted for 24 hours! grin

Sultanajo Thu 15-Aug-13 10:04:21

toby hurray! Finally a scan date! What a relief!!! How did the dentist go by the way?

Good luck for scans the rest of this week everyone! Fingers crossed all go well!

After walking round town for two hours yesterday, but the end my lower back was agony and I was wondering if I would make it back to the car. It was affecting my legs too and my walking. All seems ok today thankfully!

Also had really bad shooting pains in my right boob last nighy radiating out from my nipple. Really odd. Again none today....

Heartburn still starting around early evening and continuing over night....really annoying! Will try some love hearts instead of rennies....wink

Sultanajo Thu 15-Aug-13 10:06:51

Great stuff yorkie! So pleased things are settling down again. grin

TobyLerone Thu 15-Aug-13 10:08:45

Oh, the dentist was fine, thanks. In and out and back in the car within 5 minutes!

I know what you mean about the pains. I stood at the kitchen counter making a bit of a convoluted dinner the other night (vegetable cobbler), and it must have taken about an hour and a half by the time I'd double-podded the broad beans and made scones etc. I was almost crying by the end of it because my back hurt so much!

And I've totally had the boob pains too! I thought it was just me. It must be normal if we're both having it grin

Heartburn here too. Last night I took a Rennie Extra for the first time instead of normal Rennies, and they're VILE! I will get some Love Hearts later.

Sultanajo Thu 15-Aug-13 10:13:28

extra you are a girl after my own heart! We are starting to sort the nursery this weekend and hoping to start buying the furniture soon! Soooo excited! grin

Toby that star wrap looks awesome! I was having the snowsuit dilemma, so think the star wrap is the way forward! So cute too!grin

Penny31 Thu 15-Aug-13 10:17:37

Eeeek I thought I was too early to start on nursery but obviously not smile we bough paint yesterday and DP is off next week so is going to do all the painting smile haven't ordered the furniture yet though. Just need to clear the room out first of all. So exciting.

Have felt my baby move this morning like normal. I suppose 22 weeks is still early days for very regular movement??

Penny31 Thu 15-Aug-13 10:18:11

toby that star wrap looks so cute and snugly! What a fab idea

TobyLerone Thu 15-Aug-13 10:19:56

I know! I saw it on another thread and it looked so much better than a snowsuit. I remember vividly trying to wrestle DS (October baby) into and out of snowsuits and it wasn't fun!

Sultanajo Thu 15-Aug-13 10:26:12

toby glad the dentist went well! If you can do it, I can do it! wink

Yeah the shooting pains are weird but nice to hear you are getting them too. smile

I can absolutely imagine how much pain you must have been in. The walk back to the car had a slight incline and it was just unbearable. Then got stuck in traffic for two hours and when I finally got out of the car I was so stiff I was walking like I was 100 years old! blush

I so wish we could replace my car but think it will have to last us a few more years....think it will turn into a money pit at some point though....

VeryHappyMama Thu 15-Aug-13 10:27:25

Hello haven't posted for a while can't keep up lol.
Had an amnio last week rapid results came back clear and it's a boy smile
Can't wait for my 20 weeks scan now though have ages yet. Was sad to find they don't listen for the heartbeat at 16weeks anymore but I have a Doppler so I guess it's not too bad.
Fx for everyone with concerns

Sultanajo Thu 15-Aug-13 10:29:59

penny I am 21 weeks tomorrow and have still only felt the very odd movement, certainly not every day, although the fact my placenta is at the front will be cushioning a lot of it at the moment which is disappointing. So pleased I have the doppler to keep me sane until I start actually feeling proper movements! grin

Sultanajo Thu 15-Aug-13 10:30:42

Yay congrats happymama! grin

TobyLerone Thu 15-Aug-13 10:50:49

Great news, Happymama!

Re movement, I had loads over the weekend. DH managed to feel it from the outside a couple of times. And then quieter (although still there, but I'm only noticing it because I'm looking for it) for the last few days. It's normal at this sort of stage. I believe it's usually around 24 weeks they expect you to notice it every day, and that it's something to get checked out if you don't.

This thread is not accepting new messages.