Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

January 2014 (thread 8) Half way there just about! Finding out pink or blue

(1000 Posts)
BuntCadger Tue 13-Aug-13 11:13:23

New thread for us, can't believe another one filled! Half way there girls smile on the homeward stretch smile xx

MrsGSR Mon 26-Aug-13 11:25:55

Thanks all, the letter doesn't sound at all urgent and I know they have my mobile number, it just wasn't what I wanted to come home to!

Glad curly is doing ok, fx she gets all the other results soon and everything is fine smile

frizz sorry to hear you were ill, I hope you've recovered enough to enjoy the baby event smile

MrsGSR Mon 26-Aug-13 11:26:48

MrsV I'm due on the 15th so maybe she'll arrive with the full moon on the 16th!

enormouse Mon 26-Aug-13 11:38:41

tarka things for quietly amusing a 2 year old. My little guy loves puzzles so will happily sit there and play for a bit.
www.amazon.co.uk/Gruffalo-GR1119-Wooden-Peg-Puzzle/dp/B004W27F8C we have this one that he adores and a few orange tree animal ones. Also a few hardback books are very loved and maybe an aquadoodle or some little pots of playdoh? Maybe a leap pad? I'm going to fill his xmas stocking full of play quietly things.

MrsG I had one of those letters and it was because the sample wasn't closed properly and gave a false result.

Glad to hear curly is doing well.

extracrunchy Mon 26-Aug-13 12:59:02

Re babies not going back on the breast because bottles are easier - we had a special "hard work" teat that came with our Medela pump and was supposed to simulate breastfeeding in the speed it came out and way baby needed to suck to get the milk out. I'm sure other brands also do them.

Anyway - no idea if it works for everyone, but I found it reassuring and DS was very happy on either bottle or breast!

Here: www.mothercare.com/Medela-Calma-Solitaire-Teat/322907,default,pd.html

AnotherStitchInTime Mon 26-Aug-13 13:06:29

I think it will depend on your 2 year old Tarka

Favourites here around that age for dd1 were Lego Duplo for building (check out eBay for cheaper second hand bundles), tea set and play food for picnics, ELC Happyland stuff, dressing up dolly/teddies and putting them in pram/bed, wooden train set, playdough, colouring (and aquadoodle) and books. She still plays with all of the toys mentioned aged 4 as does dd2 18months.

Glad to hear curly is okay, and hope she comes back soon.

toby good luck with the car hunt.

Frizz hope you're feeling better, you poor love.

Today, I am pretending to work (I can choose to take BHols off or not, and no one is here, so I'm 'working') and have spent the day so far thus: arrived around 11, picked up post, sent a spurious 'I'm in the office' email to boss. Went for lunch with DH then to a baby event in the local park, where we learnt all about cloth nappies (was SUPER useful) and looked at 2nd hand baby stuff. Now back and MNing until I can send another spurious 'look I was here all day' email and go home.

enormouse Mon 26-Aug-13 14:49:10

Sounds like a great day, all in all humpty. I'd quite like to do cloth nappies but DP isn't keen.

I'm still feeling very rough, and the cough/cold thing I've had has spread like wildfire so most the immediate family (me, DP, DS and DPs parents) now have it. Unfortunately, it means I have to miss my course induction tomorrow but I don't want to infect anyone else.

But I've found a lovely cure for my sore throat, hot ribena. Only I'm going through a bottle every 5 days so it's getting expensive. Any low cost alternatives out there?

Penny31 Mon 26-Aug-13 14:50:08

Pleased curly and littlepeapod are ok, hope they come back soon!

frizz feel better soon. I have similar issues today and I'm about to go to a BBQ!

toby hope you find a car suitable for the whole family!

sultana I think it was you suffering leg cramps? I had avoided that so far, but early this morning it hit me and my god I have never leapt put of bed so quickly in all my life! The pain was horrendous and then my toes went all crumpled in a claw like fashion. I do not want that to happen again. I have enough to contend with through the night with the heartburn waking me up every two hours.

humpty I hope your afternoon at work goes quickly and the emails to your boss get you some brownie points smile

Enjoy the rest of your bank hol everyone!

Frizz1986 Mon 26-Aug-13 14:52:54

Thanks girls. Am feeling lots better today and stocking up on the most delicious plums and cherries ever. Mum got them from a farm shop for us to bring back with us and they are amazing. Wish i could afford fruit like this all the time.

humpty sounds like you are having a fun day. Not too bad for being at work!

Today i have snoozed, shopped and got some baby things (from tesco not asda as it was cheaper than the baby event)
Got tesco mini nappies (3-13lbs) 100 for £8 and then 1 pack of newborns (4-11lbs) 25 for £2. Not sure if these are the right sizes to go for but assume i will need them at some point. My sister got tesco ones and said that she found them the best so as we are budgeting i am hoping ours will be fine with them too. Thinking of getting a pack a week to stock up.

toby hope the car search goes well.
We need to finish unpacking ours as we have the baby bath, moses basket and a chair in the boot from my sister.

Cant wait to start shopping for the cot bed over the next few weeks. And some clothes. How many vests, sleep suits will we need for 0-3 months, we have maybe 30 so far. Is that enough??

Frizz1986 Mon 26-Aug-13 15:27:44

My nct email says that from now my bump will grow 1-2cm a week. Oh god!! Massiveness here i come!

missmargot Mon 26-Aug-13 15:29:08

I'm very late to this thread, but can I join in?

My due date is 4.1.14 so I'm 21+2. Great scan last week and all is looking good with the baby, however the sonographer has made me another appointment for 34 weeks as I have a low lying placenta. Hopefully it will have moved out of the way by then and won't be anything to worry about.

We didn't find out the sex last week but I'm starting to wish we had, we are planning a 4d scan later on in the pregnancy so we may crack and find out then!

enormous hope you feel better soon. IME, Ribena has no substitutes (not that taste the same; there are obvs millions of other blackcurrant squashes!)
Re cloth nappies, my DH was also unkeen, but the demo we had from the lovely lady today has totally changed his mind, and we're going to go for it after a few weeks of disposables. Could you find if there's a nappuccino/nappy library near you and see if you can persuade him?

missmargot welcome! Congratulations on your pregnancy and lovely scan news.

extracrunchy Mon 26-Aug-13 15:52:16

Welcome missmargot and congratulations!

missmargot Mon 26-Aug-13 18:26:42

Thank you, looking forward to obsessing and ask stupid questions joining in

Toothfairy78 Mon 26-Aug-13 18:58:06

Ooh fresh new person! Welcome and congrats missmargot!

So bump should be growing 1-2cm per week? More like per day!

MrsGSR Mon 26-Aug-13 20:13:13

Welcome missmargot!

I hope everyone's had a good bank holiday smile DH finished work early so we rearranged our living room! I didn't like the way we had it before, but I love it now grin

Frizz1986 Mon 26-Aug-13 21:26:29

Welcome missmargot and congrats.

Argh cant believe the bank hol is almost over! Really dont want to be at work the next 2 weeks. Am covering for my boss which i am terrified about as i am basically on my own covering 2 peoples work and i have to get everything done on time and right because otherwise the business will lose money. Its the first time in 10 years that the boss has left it to someone else to cover!! To top that off another person has a funeral tomorrow so the boss came over and suggested that someone needs to cover his work and emails too (basically me as noone else is qualified) Really dont feel happy being put in this situation right now as the stress will not be a good thing but i dont think they give a crap.

sarahleanne Mon 26-Aug-13 21:39:47

glad curly is doing ok, hope she makes it back soon.

why did littlepeapod leave the thread? I don't remember, sorry I am rubbish blush hope she is ok too

welcome missmargot is this your first?

Bluecarrot Mon 26-Aug-13 21:47:13

* enormouse* nappicino in Belfast city hall cafe this Saturday at 10 if you feel up to it. The two girls I met at the carrick one (mums market NI) were so lovely. I might not make it this Saturday but can give you a review if I make it! I used to promote cloth nappies so know enough in general, just not up on all the new brands.

I used cloth with dd in a flat with electric heaters - no garden or tumble drier. I still don't have a tumble drier but cloth nappies have really come on re drying effectiveness.

Once you get settled into life with toddler and baby, maybe try all in ones for home use, and disposables when out/when your DP is in sole charge?

I'm lucky in that DP basically says I can have whatever I want ( though I'm the frugal one between us)

I'm not 100% decided but I'm thinking wool soakers and g wraps and a pre fold for early days ( best to contain breastfed baby poop if folded right) Will also look at a few nappies by minki as my splurge ( haven't dared do more than check she's still in business) perhaps the aios will come from her.

Cloth nappy tree has a good review community.

extracrunchy Mon 26-Aug-13 23:06:13

Frizz - I'm in the same situation the next couple of weeks minus the funeral. Boss away and it's on me. Sucks. I have an assistant who is supposed to be taking some of the slack but she actually generates more work than she gets done. So while boss is away I'm doing 2 jobs. Bah! Thinking of you!

Frizz1986 Tue 27-Aug-13 07:47:39

extra thinking of you too. I have people who are supposed to be covering my things to help me out but like you they just dont pay attention and tend to make more problems than they solve. Fingers crossed the next few weeks fly by as hopefully then they will start thinking about my replacement and i will be able to just get on with my job!

Sultanajo Tue 27-Aug-13 07:54:27

Yep Penny it was me! I have had cramp before, but NOTHING like this, where it woke me up and made me leap out of bed in AGONY! My toes also did the crabby thing and it was just awful - leg felt bruised for the next day! Not had it again since (touch wood) so hoping it was just a one off!

Humpty loving your BH day at work! Sounds fabbie! Wish mine had been as chilled!

Frizz ekkk bump growth of 1-2cm per week from now on! I was sitting on the floor sorting out books yesterday and my ass went numb within seconds. Then I tried to get up.....ummmm....tried.....tried again....then had to call DH to pull me up. He then underestimated how much I would be relying on him to pull me and said "OMG you are heavy!" before he could stop himself! grin. He is right - I FEEL heavy at the moment.... have put on 1.5lbs in the last 7 days and I haven't even been eating a huge amount of crap. So that makes it 9lbs since in the last 8 weeks which I guess is around 1lb a week, but don't really think that's a good thing if that carries on until LO pops out....Must get back to swimming... blush

Frizz and Extra I feel for you ladies with your work! I finally had a massively honest chat with my boss about my work situation and he suddenly realised how much had been piled on me and said if I needed help between now and when I go off to ask. Well to be honest, apart from the odd thing, it's easier to do things myself as I know what I am doing and would still have to follow through on something someone else is helping with, but it felt good for him to say that! Hope you ladies cope OK these next two weeks!

Missmargot congratulations and welcome!!! Great to have you aboard!

Enormouse sorry you are still feeling rough but great you have found hot ribena - my "go to" remedy every time!!! I am with humpty - I have yet to find a "good" substitute. The bottles come in different sizes and often buying the largest will save some pennies, particularly if you are going through it like it's going out of fashion! wink

MrsG it's great having a furniture move around isn't it! Last night when I finished work DH and I finally moved the office furniture out of the small room (nursery to be) and into the large room, after he had painted all afternoon. Am getting excited about the nursery now - I can start to visualise how it will look! Yay!

Sarah Pod didn't give a reason I don't think for taking a break from the thread.

MrsAVB Tue 27-Aug-13 09:06:04

Morning all, and congrats and welcome margot!
Had a lovely weekend... Scary to think that's the last bank holiday til Christmas, when we will be ready to pop! I think once September starts you definitely feel like winter's on its way... Eek!
I have been getting bad cramps for the last 10 weeks or so sultana. Midwife said to eat lots of potassium rich food like bananas. It's been a bit better the last week or so and I'm wondering if this is because I'm getting up more in the night to go to the toilet than I had been so it gets a preventative stretch...?
Good luck at work this week frizz and extra.
X

BookTart Tue 27-Aug-13 09:17:05

Morning all, hi margot!
Currently having a dilemma about bothering A&E. I'm visiting the in-laws and took a bit of a tumble down the last four or five stairs on an early morning loo visit! I didn't hit the bump, but have borked my knee and might have broken a toe. I feel like such a prat! Anyway, no pain of bleeding, but lots of funny twinges a bit like kicks, but far more than usual. As usual, midwife is AWOL so I don't know what to do. What do you think?

Penny31 Tue 27-Aug-13 09:34:41

booktart I'd go to a&e just to be on the safe side. They can check your toe and you might get a quick bonus scan to see your baby ;) if you feel the baby kicking and don't have pain I'm sure everything is fine. Maybe you need your toe checked anyway though!

This thread is not accepting new messages.