Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

February 2014 (take 3)

(1000 Posts)
Champagnebubble Wed 17-Jul-13 17:17:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shropshiremummy2b Sat 03-Aug-13 10:57:03

Eeeek laura congrats! Pesky boys, they got us all into this trouble in the first place.

laura0007 Sat 03-Aug-13 10:59:32

I know! Tell me about it!
I'm so convinced its a boy, have been from the start!
Anyone else had any feeling either way? Wonder if we will be right!

Champagnebubble Sat 03-Aug-13 11:03:06

mrscookie78 Sat 03-Aug-13 11:09:12

my blood work alongside the nt measurement have put me at high risk so have to back Monday to see the consultant sad

littlestgirlguide Sat 03-Aug-13 11:20:44

My new look order won't arrive until the 8th, but I will let you know!

Shropshiremummy2b Sat 03-Aug-13 11:29:52

No feelings on gender and no preference either. If you held a gun to my head I'd say boy purely because I have the full name (although this may need son tweaking due to fact he'd have the initials WAPS, which is unfortunate) x

marzipanned Sat 03-Aug-13 11:47:05

laura how lovely!

mrscookie I'm sorry to hear that. It's easier said than done, I know, but try not to panic at this point. Did they give you a number? Because I think (racking my brains) high risk could be something like 1:500 - which is, of course, still a very low risk indeed. Hopefully the consultant will be able to give you more information and set your mind at rest.

amicus sorry that you've had some tough news, too. Do you know what the process would be if bub does have abdominal wall issues?

I don't mind either on the gender and have no idea one way or another. And I've now found out that our hospital doesn't tell you at the 20 week scan, so unless it's glaringly obvious we'll have to get a private scan.

Question on where people are giving birth (Middy maybe you can advise me on this!) I have the choice between a midwife unit at a hospital and a community midwife hospital. I'm erring towards the latter for so many reasons - likelier to have waterbirth, better breastfeeding support, more relaxed environment - but if something went wrong there'd be a 30-40 min transfer to the hospital that I would've been at in the first place. Has anyone else made a choice like this for this or previous births? What swayed you? Am really umming and ahhing about it.

WanderingGecko Sat 03-Aug-13 13:16:44

MrsCookie: I have my scan and NT on the 16th August and have just been reading up about it. Now I'm thinking, "do I really want to know?" The risks are still so small even if the initial says high risk. Try to stay positive x

Champagnebubble Sat 03-Aug-13 13:54:27

Champagnebubble Sat 03-Aug-13 14:23:43

amicusapple Sat 03-Aug-13 14:56:10

Hi misskatamari,
From what I've gathered so far, pregnancy should progress normally but with higher risk of baby being premature, and if not, likely i'll be induced (37 weeks).

Baby will then need to go to nicu until can be operated on and will be fed via drip for a few weeks (depending on damage).
The most likely condition is called gastroschisis or may be more complex/serious.

Obviously there are risks which I know in my head but don't want to think about. Trying to stay positive.

Sorry if a bit of a ramble, hard to explain!

amicusapple Sat 03-Aug-13 16:39:22

Oop, that was meant to be in response to marzipanned!

mrscookie78 Sat 03-Aug-13 17:21:50

my odds are 1/130, the cut off for high risk is 150 so I am at the high end but my hcg is a little high and same for my papp a. Nothing I can do till Monday, if all goes ok. im having a cvs and will probably find out the gender. we found out the gender of ds too. smile

mrscookie78 Sat 03-Aug-13 17:22:23

I meant low end, I could be one of the 129 women who are ok. grin

mrscookie78 Sat 03-Aug-13 17:26:14

It is hard anicus, try not to worry too much.

amicusapple Sat 03-Aug-13 17:28:26

Yes it's hard but I feel better to know as much as possible in advance so I can feel prepared. Fingers crossed for both our bumps smile

Champagnebubble Sat 03-Aug-13 17:30:37

Champagnebubble Sat 03-Aug-13 17:32:07

mrscookie78 Sat 03-Aug-13 17:45:44

I had a spinal with ds as he was section, I was adamant I didn't want am epidural. you just can't plan your birth to the exact detail as you have to be prepared for things to change. This seems so far away smile . unfortunately if your over 35 you may have more risk of problems with the nt and bloods than if your under 35. Obviously every one is different and you can't rely on the age thing. I was only 35 last week but putting my bloods against my maternal age I meed more checks. grrr grin

jazzcat28 Sat 03-Aug-13 17:50:20

mrscookie thinking positive vibes for you next week

marzipaned I have the same choice - birthing centre in beautiful countryside surroundings but 10min ambulance journey to main maternity hospital which also has a birthing centre attached but has labour ward for emergencies/high risk births. I'm drawn to the relaxed feel of the countryside one but wonder if my stress levels might be better knowing I'm next door to the anethestic/surgeons!

Picked up my next maternity black trousers today and they are amazing. Have little adjustable waist bits inside so I can adjust as I grow. They will sit under bump so will need to start investing in longer work tops in a week or two

I'm looking forward to the coming week - private scan on weds evening with DH then NHS nuchal scan Friday with close friend. Hoping for lots of glimpses at bean!

lyndsey90 Sat 03-Aug-13 19:02:38

My mum made me do the needle and thread thing over my palm, the needle kept spinning round in circles, which she said is meant to mean I'm going to have a girl lol
I have been thinking girl anyway so I hope it's right lol!!

littlestgirlguide Sat 03-Aug-13 21:47:06

Mrs Cookie, I had the triple test with my first pregnancy and got a result back of a 1/35 risk. I ended up having an amnio centesis, which was unpleasant but it did reassure me that DD was fine. The high risk last time means they ate checking very carefully this time. I know how nerve racking it is but, 1:30 is something like a 0.75% risk, which is very low. Fingers crossed for you x

Ladybird81 Sat 03-Aug-13 21:48:44

Hope everyone's scans go well next week, I have mine on Monday afternoon, looking forward to it, this will be DC no.2.

I fell down the stairs tonight after tripping over the b****y cat, have bruised my right bum cheek, i think i'm ok, more the shock of not knowing what was going on i think! My back is aching a bit as well, think i'll just see how i am in the morning.

misskatamari Sat 03-Aug-13 22:12:05

Ouch ladybird - hope you're okay.

The joys of pregnancy - just had some gaviscon for the bloody acid reflux I seem to have now and it made me gag and puke. Lovely hmm

littlestgirlguide Sat 03-Aug-13 22:13:47

1:130 not 1:30 oops

This thread is not accepting new messages.