Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any caesarean friendly antenatal parenting groups or classes in or near Surbiton?

(7 Posts)
pogpog Sun 14-Jul-13 20:57:20

Hi. I'm having a caesarean birth and wanted to join an antenatal class or group to tell me everything I need to know about becoming a parent and all the usual stuff nct classes cover (like breast feeding, how to bathe a newborn, change a nappy etc) but without the time and emphasis spent on vaginal birth. I wondered if anyone knows of classes that cover caesarean birth plus recovery/what to expect afterwards in a thorough and non judgmental way in or near to Surbiton? The nct classes seem too anti caesarean for me to gain anything positive from attending. Many thanks.

grants1000 Mon 15-Jul-13 12:46:00

Do your local healthcare authority hold them? Mine did. You will also do vaginal birth with these too, it's just the way it is, I'd give the NCT a go, they get a bad rep for all the breastfeeding/c - section stuff, but in realisty they are not like that at all, they will provide you with lots of great stuff, the birth bit will just be a small part of that and you will get so much more out of it so plese do try it. Don't beleive the hype!

pogpog Wed 17-Jul-13 13:20:06

Thanks. Will talk to midwives at next appointment to see what they offer. I'm also going to talk to NCT too and hope to find a group led by an open minded leader. Just worried about being made to feel a complete failure as a mother before I've even become one!

grants1000 Wed 17-Jul-13 18:32:11

Good, don't judge before you even try it, it's like saying all estate agents are bent, are lawyers are wankers and all bankers are greedy!

Wibblypiglikesbananas Wed 24-Jul-13 18:04:18

Hi, just seen this. I used to live near Kingston and used NCT myself, but didn't find them anti-c-sections.

There are a couple of really good local companies who do bespoke classes. One is called Teddington Midwives, run by a midwife who works at West Middlesex and another who works at Kingston. The other is Pick n Mix antenatal, run by Amanda and Esther, who both do local NCT classes.

DH and I now live in the US but I am PG with DC2 and we did a bespoke course with Amanda last month when we were over due to lack of anything here! Hope this helps.

pogpog Sat 27-Jul-13 17:26:39

Thanks so much. Have actually booked on a new NCT course called birth and beyond and chatTed with facilitator who seems to be open to me only attending the relevant parts to my situation. Much relieved!

Wibblypiglikesbananas Sat 27-Jul-13 19:04:01

Glad you got something sorted. If it's any help elective c-sections are a lot more common this side of the pond (not sure if yours is elective but either way) - so I imagine there'll be lots around recovery on US websites eg Kellymom. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now