Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

pregnant 20-somethings?!

(185 Posts)
toasterstrudel Sun 14-Jul-13 10:25:56

couldn't find one in the age group threads so thought it might be nice to have a 20-something's group - obviously anyone is welcome though!

my basic info is:
age 22
6w2d
edd 7th march
no dcs!

anyone else?

PoopPoooDeDooo Wed 17-Jul-13 18:48:59

Hi,

I only just fit in this group as I'll turn 30 a few months before baby arrives!

I am 13+5 with a (happy surprise) DC3!

smile

Smilehappy Wed 17-Jul-13 19:02:29

24+4
Boy
Already have DS whom is 4!!grinshock

Wouldn't have it any other way and can't wait to start maternity leave!! grin

Congrats ladies x

Madratlady Wed 17-Jul-13 19:20:08

Ooh I'm glad it's not just me with the dreams. Sometimes weird but always really vivid. Last night I dreamed I had loads of rescue rabbits as pets which was great!

Gerty1002 Wed 17-Jul-13 19:25:57

Oh yes I've had plenty of weird dreams and some truly horrifying ones! Lots involving DP leaving or cheating - which I know would never happen and is not something I'm even remotely concerned about, but apparently it's very common to dream about in pg.

enormouse Wed 17-Jul-13 19:26:06

Hi everyone I think I'm a latecomer but here goes

Age 24
13 weeks
Due 22nd January
Already have a 21 month old DS.

ldt87 Wed 17-Jul-13 19:29:45

Ooh can I join please? Older than most of you as I'm 26

I am 11+1 with number 3. Big age gap as my girls are 7 and 8. I had a mc in April at 9 weeks after ttc for over 18 months. I have my 12 weeks scan on Monday xx

ldt87 Wed 17-Jul-13 19:30:47

Forgot to add, my due date is the 4th of February xx

scoutfinch1 Wed 17-Jul-13 19:39:56

gerty wow very impressive organisation. We got quite a lot of things early too because of over excited grandparents but no can't complain that everyone is so excited and generous.

Madrat sorry that you are having job troubles. You can get loads of amazing baby stuff second hand that has barely been used. Also, might be worth seeing what you get given by others before rushing out and buying stuff, I was so surprised at how generous everyone is.

Grey weird dreams are really common in pregnancy, I've had a few but some people do get them quite frequently.

greymoose Wed 17-Jul-13 19:53:05

that's reassuring!! love hearing about them!

mine today was about moving to australia (which was just a crumbly hotel) and instead of sheep in fields there were zebras, while i was pregnant as a big fuck you to my boyfriend(?!) and i was trying to take a really good picture for ages but couldn't for instagram to make him annoyed (he doesnt even use instagram), and someone i barely even know (met once) was there and we were best friends, much more happened but that was the gist - so weird.

loads of us joining today !

itsliz Wed 17-Jul-13 19:53:26

Oooh, am I too late to join in?!

I'm 22 and I'm 16 weeks pg with my first DC, with an EDD of 30th December (eeek!)

Unplanned but it's something DP and I have always talked about doing 'one day' so we were surprised but still very happy about it!

I'll be 23 by the time the baby is born, but it still feels like people think I'm too young etc, so it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only pregnant 20-something lady in the world right now smile

enormouse Wed 17-Jul-13 20:36:11

itsliz I was 22 when I found out I was pregnant with DS. smile I love being a younger mum, it's great.

itsliz Wed 17-Jul-13 20:44:31

enormouse That's brilliant, probably the most reassuring thing anyone's said to me so far smile

When I was little, I remember saying that I'd have kids when I was in my early 20s so that I'd be a 'cool mum' ...Never thought there would be any truth in that!

How have you all been feeling so far? Are the things that people say about pregnancy being easier when you're younger true?!

scoutfinch1 Wed 17-Jul-13 21:08:26

itsliz I was 22 when I fell pregnancy, 23 now and I really worried about people thinking I was too young etc but it hasn't been as much of an issue through my pregnancy as I thought it would be.

I don't know if it is true but I can say that I have sailed through pregnancy with no (touch wood) complications or problems and do seem to have had an easier pregnancy that some older mums that I know have.

greymoose Wed 17-Jul-13 21:22:51

liz i'm a bit worried about that too, but i think it's more us being paranoid than people actually thinking it if that makes sense!

also my mum had me early 20s and we have a really good relationship as friends too. i find some of my friends with older parents don't really have that at all and i love my grandparents being relatively young too, i would have hated to miss out on them!

scoutfinch1 Wed 17-Jul-13 21:36:38

Greymoose I completely agree.

enormouse Wed 17-Jul-13 22:11:12

I'm in a similar boat to scoutfinch. I had a fairly uncomplicated pg (barring some anaemia) and a fairly quick, intervention free labour. Hopefully, it will be similar this time around too (fingers crossed).

I did worry that I'd be too young to be a good mum though, but DS is very happy and laid back and I think I've done ok, despite motherhood not being 'in my plans' for a few years.

I've also been able to resume my plans re work and going back to university, which people told me would be impossible with a young child. So don't let people tell you, your life is ruined. smile

Newmum0113 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:15:37

Hi all

I'm 25 yo expecting dc1 -27 weeks tomorrow do due 27/10/13.

Currently work in a prison but also run a guesthouse at the seaside with my DH and his parents. Will effectively be a wfhm rather than a sahm.

Nice to meet you all. smile

Gerty1002 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:21:34

I'm almost 26 and still feel like people think I'm too young... though mostly relative strangers and mainly because I look younger than I am. It's still not their place to judge though - people look at me in disbelief when I say this baby was planned (don't know why they bother asking, plus it's rather rude) - someone actually once said, "Well you have to say that, don't you..." - the cheek!

However, close family and friends know how much this baby was wanted and that DP, who I got engaged to in October, and I are perfect for each other and can't wait to be parents smile everyone else can piss off!

Newmum0113 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:29:03

Gerty I get the same - even though I've been married for 2 years on October 1st! Someone even asked if I knew who the father was -WTF!?!??!

People seem to think they have a right to say outrageous things to pregnant women!

Also - typo in my previous message, I'm due 17/10/13 smile

Newmum0113 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:33:58

Itsliz my friend from school had her ds1 at 16 so I think early 20s is fine!

Also I never got to know my grandparents very well due to the age difference - 3 of them died before I was a teenager.

I'm glad my parents and in-laws are all still around to meet our little girl in a couple of months - shock !

Gerty1002 Thu 18-Jul-13 10:23:24

My baby will have six grandparents and three great grandparents, as my mum had me at 16 and her mum had her at 20! I think it's lovely smile.

Although my mum was so young she did an amazing job, brought us up very well despite being a single mother for most of our lives. Yet I have a friend whose mother was older, was the 'perfect housewife' initially, and she had an absolutely awful upbringing. It's all about the individual/couple, not their age(s) smile

itsliz Thu 18-Jul-13 10:35:04

greymoose You're absolutely right! No-one has actually said "you're too young" but whenever I'm out in public I'm always paranoid that that's what people are thinking (not that it's any of their business!)

Gerty I like your thinking, haha! At the end of the day all that matters is that you and your DP are happy smile
Can't believe the cheek of some people though, I've lost count of how many times I've been asked if this baby was planned... Unless they're very close friends or family, I don't know how people even think it's acceptable to ask such a personal question! It's nice to know I'm not the only one having to deal with awkward questions though...!

Newmum I suppose it's all about perspective - I know a lot of people from school that have already got two or three kids, so I feel like a bit of a late bloomer in comparison!
Hadn't thought about the whole grandparent thing either, but it's nice to think that our little ones will have such big families to spend time with and be spoilt by smile

It's good to know that so many of you have had relatively straightforward pregnancies so far. Fingers crossed I'll be the same!
The only thing that I've really struggled with so far is this heat - how have you all been coping with the warm weather?!

NomDeClavier Thu 18-Jul-13 10:50:32

I'll jump on board. 27, DC2 (had my first at 24), EDD 24/12/13

The heat isn't too bad compared to when I was pregnant with DS but that was a tropical summer and I was teaching with no air-con!

As for the planned/unplanned thing people assume this one, being DC2 as planned, but DS was totally unplanned despite the fact we were married etc and were on a posting where EVERYONE has babies. I swear out of DH's colleagues everyone has at least one baby conceived or born on that posting or a very similar one.

Gerty1002 Thu 18-Jul-13 11:30:19

I'm off to a busy shift in a gastropub with no air con - armed with cooling spray and water. This is going to be torture! Thankfully my last shift is tomorrow then I can hang out in air conditioned areas all day smile. At 33+6 baby is like my own little bundle of central heating!

Rosenip Thu 18-Jul-13 12:39:17

Hi! Can I join too?

I'm 27 and due on 30 November with my first baby, and she's a girl! We found out at our 20 week scan on Monday. I'm now 20+5.

Nice to meet you all xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now