Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2013 - only 3 months to go!

(1000 Posts)
roxvox Thu 11-Jul-13 12:27:40

Baby due dates/sexes/name choices here

textbook France Wed 24-Jul-13 13:49:34

LAST POST!

roxvox Wed 24-Jul-13 13:49:10

Good choice Clapham - new thread here

roofio87 Wed 24-Jul-13 13:48:56

clapam I personally don't think a Brazilian hurts. definitely no more than a normal bikini wax. it only lasts for minutes and then you're done. I've had one loads!

You can get away with no makeup because you are dark. Being blonde my eyebrows and eyelashes are invisible without makeup. I've tried going makeup free but am always being asked if I'm ill.

With regards to brazillian. I just shave everyday. I don't mind waxing or epilating my legs but I can't stand it on more sensitive areas.

Stop panicking Flyer You'll be a great mum. You'll be amazed at how much just comes to you naturally.

claphammama Wed 24-Jul-13 13:47:22

"wobbling and sweating through the last trimester"?

It's heavier than a normal period. And you will def need more than 10

roxvox Wed 24-Jul-13 13:45:51

funkky I read on the back of the maternity pad packaging that you'll need 24 for the first 2 day, then a further 24 to take you up to 2 weeks. So I think you might want to pick up some more smile

Flyer747 Wed 24-Jul-13 13:45:28

Cuille that's terrible what a total shit head!

Bridget I really like southport, dp wants to stay in Liverpool as he owns his own business and he is based in the city centre (although he mostly works from home) So I've kind of compromised and said Formby would be fine for us to move to in the future.

The scouse brow is the awful thick black (almost look penciled on) eyebrows, I'm not keen it looks really fake and strange when someone has blonde hair and these thick black eyebrows, that are too perfect looking.

I really hope I don't offend anyone on here witha scouse accent, it's not what I intended honest shock

roxvox Wed 24-Jul-13 13:43:51

That's terrible cuille. People are so ridiculous some times.

Any suggestions for the new thread name?

funkky Wed 24-Jul-13 13:43:11

Oh my! I am 31 weeks today, count down in single digits now and did the first round of packing my maternity bag. Will add bits and bobs as the days go by but already filled up one hand luggage type suitcase and baby bag!
Especially cause we move in a few weeks and am itching to be organised as I can't do up baby room yet.

Thanks for the link Shire made me smile and sent it to dp as he has been quite worried we wouldn't know what to do with new baby and ante natal classes in my hospital are fully booked. He keeps bugging everyone we talk to about tips, what to do. He is 42 and its his first and he's just so worried even more than I am.

Question for after birth, does the bleeding go on for long or is it similar to your period? wondering how many packs of maternity pads to buy, I already bought a pack of 10 mother are ones.

Threads nearly full again......

claphammama Wed 24-Jul-13 13:35:04

OMG shocking cullie!! How old was he? What a twat! Are you in France or UK these days? Can't believe he was very comfortable sitting there for the rest of his trip!

haha flyer no I haven't! I've just googled it though. Perhaps rural Cheshire better then :-) I may be brave and book this brazilian then... I won't be able to see and admire it myself at this stage but never mind. It can't hurt more than induced birth... I will keep telling myself.

And don't worry - you will be a fantastic mum! I was 33 when I had DS and I had NO clue about babies. Zero. I was also really scared of the first days on my own and it was perfectly fine. You will just know what to do and it really is very simple. Very tiring but simple. I also didn't have any family around me until DS was 3 weeks, I didn't want any, but I had a couple of good friends who were new mums and did it all a few months before me. You will be fine trust me

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Wed 24-Jul-13 13:33:47

Flyer I'd go for the first few weeks just you and DP. Then have mum to visit when DP goes back to work after paternity leave (spread out the help).

I grew up in Stockport and all our school trips always seemed to be to Liverpool (Albert Docks etc)

Scouse brow?

cuillereasoupe Wed 24-Jul-13 13:27:35

OMG someone just refused me a priority seat on the bus because he was "tired" shock. Twat. Fortunately a young lad sprang up to offer me his seat and the West Indian grandmother sitting opposite the twat gave him an earful grin

Flyer747 Wed 24-Jul-13 13:21:39

Clapham it hurts a brazilian, however I have a low pain threshold. I remember you saying you don't so you'll be fine. Without wanting to sound strange a brazilian always looks nice (that actually does sound weird) haha, and it will be nice and tidy for a few weeks or so....

Liverpool is a great city clapham, although I don't really want to bring my child up there (without wanting to sound controversial, as roofio lives here too) it's just personal preference that i'd rather my child not have a scouse accent as dp and I don't and i'd like to move back to Rural Cheshire where i'm from, I really hope that doesn't sound too snobby...You must have heard of the scouse brow clapham? Most scouse girls have them...

Wickedgirl Wed 24-Jul-13 13:16:32
Warlin Wed 24-Jul-13 13:14:26

I will also be taking make up and ghds..couldn't bear the thought of any visitors without my make up on and feel so much better with less frizzy/ unruly hair!

I would take at least 5 sleepsuits for baby. Last time I was in for 2 nights and had to get mum to bring some new ones...newborns can be messy creatures! Apparently with your second you are normally home the same day if they can get rid of you that quickly!

I just gave birth in hospital gown and was glad not to have wrecked my own nightie!!

I'm 30 weeks today and the time is dragging in....still have 6 weeks left in work and have totally lost interest or motivation. 10 weeks seems like a long time away. Just want to get finished work and get some time to relax...due you think we could just skip August and go straight to September??

I am a total wimp clapham good on you if you go for it. I am 100% 70's style could not even bare it!!!!

Flyer747 Wed 24-Jul-13 13:13:40

How can I have gotten to 34 without having a clue about babies, what they need, what I need to be a good responsible mum etc etc I am seriously clueless and to be honest i'm shitting myslef that I will get this baby home and will do everything wrong and be totally crap! When you all spoke about sterilising bottles my brain was mashed and you all lost me....Oh god i'm gonna be rubbish, my mum has offered to stay for a week or two, at first i thought i'd rather just dp and I but now i'm wondering if it might be a good idea......

claphammama Wed 24-Jul-13 13:08:28

ps. I have a TMI question... but I gather anything goes on this thread!

We are going on holidays next Tuesday (no planning for this one done at all flyer!) and I was thinking about getting a brazilian... I've always done extended bikini but never brazilian. I felt no need to go that far and my hair is very strong. But everything feels hotter and sweatier this time and I thought it would help me stay cool on holidays. Am I crazy? Does it hurt like hell? Especially that I've never had it done before?

Shootingstarsandcomets Wed 24-Jul-13 13:06:47

I'm taking make up! I looked shocking without it last time and all the first photos are grim!
I was in for 4 nights last time so will be taking a big bag just in case I'm in for ages again.
Love the tip about Vaseline to stop meconium sticking.
Only27+4 here so probably won't pack my bag until after 30 weeks. Also need to buy nighties etc as I threw out all my breastfeeding nighties when I stopped feeding ds.
Has anyone mentioned taking a little plastic jug for if you have a natural birth? For afterwards incase it stings when you go to the loo.

claphammama Wed 24-Jul-13 12:59:16

thanks tarlia - didn't think about it but will definitely pack a toothbrush and change of clothes for DP :-)

flyer I'm organised only out of necessity as my life is quite hectic and because my jobs have taught me to be! This is not at all my nature and all personality tests I've ever done at work show that I actually hate planning! Saying this, baby planning is the only planning I love. I should come to Liverpool - never been before! :-)

MoN I admire you. As revealed before on this thread I often don't even bother brushing my hair, forget make up which I sometimes end up putting on at 2 or 3pm in office toilets before some big meeting when I feel it might be appropriate... And, even then, it's only blusher and mascara. May take it this time in case I look really terrible the day after - don't want to scare DP and DS when they come to collect me and the baby...

It's hot and humid again... working from home today so no air conditioning... trying to decide whether DP deserves this thai green curry I promised this morning... in this heat. The poor thing haven't been fed any meat for a few days so demanded at least chicken today...

littleducks Wed 24-Jul-13 12:44:27

Flyer- you need a maternity concierge (aka Rosie Pope) can't link so please google I watched the whole series in sky!

I'll definrtly be packing my makeup bag Flyer.
After dd2 the health visitor came to visit for the first time early one morning when I had no make-up on and my hair scraped back in a ponytail.
The following week when she visited I had my hair and make-up done. She didn't recognise me. She said she'd never seen anyone look so different with make-up on.

I really need to get the hospital bag done 30+3 and not done it yet :S.
I feel like a wet bag of noodles today have a cough and just want to sleep possibly for the next 9 weeks?

Babyplanner sounds fab I need one of them too flyer

Tarlia Wed 24-Jul-13 12:25:45

Flyer get on to the mothercare website, sod shopping around, stick it all in the basket and either get delivered of collect from store. Good to go!

Def need toothbrush and paste for you and birth partner. Fresh Tshirt for birth partner too as they may also get covered in gunk.

Flyer747 Wed 24-Jul-13 12:13:58

If there were such a job as a baby planner, a bit like a wedding planner i would seriously consider employing one. I am the most disorganised person and actually don't enjoy buying all the little essential things, i bet that sounds terribly selfish! Clapham you'd make a fantastic baby planner, you sound very organised pay a visit to Liverpool and come and help me :-)

This thread is not accepting new messages.