Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013 - only 3 months to go!

(1000 Posts)
roxvox Thu 11-Jul-13 12:27:40

Baby due dates/sexes/name choices here

roxvox Thu 11-Jul-13 12:38:44

clapham I liked your thread name suggestion on the last thread! I couldn't get my brain to work in a panic that I would miss the end of the last thread - hence the boring 'only 3 months to go'!

Haylebop12 Thu 11-Jul-13 12:42:48

Oh my god, another thread, checking in... I have so much to catch up on from previous thread!

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Thu 11-Jul-13 12:43:34

Just failed my driving test for the second time and now sat sobbing like a baby into my lunch sad sad Feels like I'll never pass....

xuntitled he does clean but he's just going over what I've already done, shouting and swearing the whole time or screaming at the kids to do it.
He expects too much from them too. All I want is for them to keep their rooms reasonably tidy and to clear their plates away at meal times. He had them scrubbing the doors last night.
He'll be massively pissed off that I've collected quite a few likes on my facebook status.

Aww Bridget Have a big slice of cake after your lunch to help you feel better.

Thanks for the new thread roxvox

sad bridget - I'm sure you will! Did you fail on anything major or stuff that is easy to put right?

Umlauf, congrats on the house! Just to let you know, we had the Hemnes day bed - which was great in DS's room as a spare bed/somewhere to read bedtime stories - but I wouldn't have liked it as my sofa, it's not the comfiest!

Re names - I had to think of a new one to re-register just after Christmas, and DS and I had been reading the Night Before Christmas everyday for about a month - with him finding it hilarious to wobble my belly at the 'bowl full of jelly' part. Very random - I'm not a very creative person!

I'm now worrying that I am not an emotional wreck confused. Apart from the bump and kicks I would forget that I am pregnant at the moment.

Thanks to everyone for the grocery spend insight as well. Seems we are pretty average, so will forget about budgeting and tell DP he needs to earn more commission grin.

Soupqueen Thu 11-Jul-13 13:11:11

Just heading off for scan, armed with my list of questions, will post properly later. Just wanted to give you a hug, bridget, I failed first 2 times too, but passed on the third. I wasn't pregnant at the time but also cried my eyes out both times I failed. You will pass!

Soupqueen Thu 11-Jul-13 13:12:12

And bowlful, what are we like? I'm also worried that I'm not an emotional wreck, and also that I don't need to go to the toilet during the night. These are good things, why do we worry?!?

Umlauf Thu 11-Jul-13 13:19:18

Hurrah, checking in! bowlful tell me everything about the hemnes day bed!!! Would it be ok as a toddler bed/guest bed? Shame it doesn't make a good sofa, why was that, down to the hard sides/back or the mattress itself? We'd have loads of cushions but don't want an uncomfy sofa.. Flat has tiny bedrooms and big lounge, not actually sure whether it would fit in the baby's room as well as his cot.

I'm so relieved, the flat is fab! Its a block away from the English school (I don't want the baby learning Basque and every other school teaches in Basque instead of Spanish, English school teaches half Spanish half english) has a children's play park just for the children in the flats, south facing, two balconies, really modern, dishwasher! Just rather tiny. Can't wait to move!

Currently covered in paint trying to hide from the sun making little keepsake boxes for Xmas pressies (I know, I'm crazy - DH thinks I've got christmas fever instead of nesting but I get it every year about this time!)

Oh yeah clapham so it does, I was thinking. "Che cazzo fai" and translating it to "what the fuck are you doing?" There was a lot of stronzo, palle, schifo etc in there as well. It says depressing as I've forgotten so much of my Italian and couldn't quite get the gist of his phone call, but the swear words were most definitely understood! I think he is angry because of the fucking people of this city being so fucking cold and not like in Italy and the fucking food is fucking shite! I'd complain but he scares me and were leaving in 2 weeks. The Internet went down the other day and he hammered on our door demanding to know why!! Like I am The Lord of the Internet! Grrr... The annoying thing is you have to be phd level or above to live in our residence so you'd think he would have a shred of intelligence to realise how to live communally (I'm wife of phd rather than phd!)

(Waves at hayle ) how are you doing?!

How was legoland natalie ? I love theme parks soo much and am wondering how long I should wait to take the baby to disneyland! Really quite annoyed I can't go to the Spanish ones this summer.

clapham what a scary thread title! Thanks for creating it.

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Thu 11-Jul-13 13:20:32

Thanks MoN - believe me, if there was any cake whatsoever in the house I would have already gobbled it. Tempted to go into town and cheer myself up with some retail therapy.

I'm sorry to hear of the DP/cleaning situation - it sounds really tough.

Bowlful - I would have passed but I made one serious error - needed to go from 5th gear to 3rd in a hurry as suddenly there was a lorry slowing down ahead and I accidentally put it into 1st instead. The examiner had to knock it into 3rd for me, so that was that. Arrrgggghhhhh....

On the question of names..mine is adapted from one of my favourite children's books by Margaret Mahy. Also makes me smile because my dear Mr Hairy is actually going bald.

Umlauf Thu 11-Jul-13 13:25:22

Ah x post bridget, so sorry about ur test, that is gutting. My brother has just passed on his 4th try. Its so frustrating as so much depends on where you live, when I did mine there wasn't one other car on the road but bro was having to negotiate snaking traffic etc.

I was wondering about your name!

Shirehobbit Thu 11-Jul-13 13:26:48

I'm impressed you are even trying to pass at the moment, Bridget - it will happen for you, but have a consoling brew in the meantime.

xuntitledx - I think we're very close! We're ten mins drive from the airport.

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Thu 11-Jul-13 13:30:33

Thanks soup for the words of comfort; I've dried my eyes and calmed down a bit now. I got so nervous beforehand that I think some of the tears were just a release of all the built up anxiety and tension. Bless him/her, baby hated the test too and kept kicking me.

Fingers crossed for the scan: hope you get a lovely long look at your little one.

Got home to find I had left the front door open - so I suppose I should be counting my blessings that nothing has been taken.

Congratulations on the flat Umlauf. It sounds fab.

HotSoupDumpling Thu 11-Jul-13 13:36:29

Bridget - the more tests you fail, the better and safer driver you will be. Someone said this to me once, and I really think it's true!

Umlauf - glad house is sorted!

MOST importantly - how did I miss finishing a thread AGAIN!

HotSoupDumpling Thu 11-Jul-13 13:36:58

Oh and P.S. my DP hasn't 'stepped up' really yet, apart from back rubs. I'm still doing all the cooking, housework, lugging stuff etc.

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Thu 11-Jul-13 13:50:49

Mr Hairy is far from perfect (gosh, neither am I) but I have to say he has never once criticised or commented on the state of the house (even when DD was tiny and I thought I'd really done well if I even managed to put the dishwasher on). Nor has he ever expected me to iron for him (he prefers to do his own) or to having an evening meal waiting for him.

He works such long hours that I think he's always just happy to be home, and I guess you can't see dust very well when it's dark!

I like that saying HotSoup

PseudoBadger Thu 11-Jul-13 13:52:09

Hello new thread. Sorry about the driving test Bridget sad

Oh how frustrating bridget!!! Something that would only be an issue in a test when you are panicking about mistakes. It will happen!

Umlauf it's great as a guest bed - plenty of room as a single or pulled out into a double. Also has loads of storage underneath - we were storing 3 spare kingsize duvets and all of the spare pillows under there. And I think it's a nice bit of furniture, I like that range and didn't look cheap. We did use it as a toddler bed for DS when we started to move him out of his cot, and probably would have happily kept him in it - but because this one will be sharing we decided to sell it and get a toddler bed as needed the space

But honestly it's a bit hard - it was in DS's room so got used at bedtime for stories, a little bit during the day, but can't imagine snuggling down for an evening in front of the telly on it. We did have cheapo mattresses so maybe would have been better with better quality ones. However knowing the hours I would have to spend on it breastfeeding, I would not have it as the main sofa. But then I am a lazy arse who likes spending a lot of time on the sofa!

Not sure I've helped confused.

Good luck with the scan soup - and I don't know, maybe just to feel included haha.

roofio87 Thu 11-Jul-13 14:16:27

Hello everyone. checking into new thread. sorry people's other halves are being annoying. I have to say dp is being good and very helpful today and cleaned the whole house, mostly because his.mates are all coming over for a bbq on Saturday!! smile

Natalieand Thu 11-Jul-13 14:17:56

Checking in x

roofio87 Thu 11-Jul-13 14:26:07

now dp is in a bad mood because we've had a letter from our lettings company saying that our front garden is too messy and needs to be better maintained!!blush it is.looking pretty scruffy but dp is fuming about it, personally I think they're right!! unfortunately we know nothing about gardening and no tools!! oh well!!

roxvox Thu 11-Jul-13 14:34:08

I am back from my 28 week MW appointment. Fundal height was 29cm which she was happy with. Heard baby's heart beat and she even had a feel and told me he/she was lying across my tummy. She gave me a leaflet on the whooping cough vaccination but said that it is new and they're not sure how effective it is/what the side affects could be. So I will have a read of that and see whether it seems worthwhile having done.
I also asked her about weight gain and she said that they do not have any standards in our area... You gain what you gain basically!

Man I want some cake now that I've seen you all talking about it. Mmm... cake. But none in the house sad

claphammama Thu 11-Jul-13 14:37:41

checking in!

sorry hotsoup, we will let you finish this thread promise! It should be in the next few days considering our chattiness

bridget sorry about the test. Of course you will pass! It will be third time lucky

and good luck with your scan soup

Smitten1981 Thu 11-Jul-13 14:38:39

Wow, I take a morning off and there's a new thread! Fast workers.

On the name front my cat is called Smitten Kitten and I was born in 1981. No great story there.

I have my 25 week midwife appt in half an hour, had three attempts at leaving the house at lunch as I managed to forget my folder and then the wee sample pot - good start!

checking in wow new thread again lol.

I have been into town and done the no 7 foundation checker thing its came up with three different ones and i ended up with a totally different colour that matched much better grin

Since my iron transfusion i have went from the palest yellowy white to deeply beige!! I also bought some cheap niva cleanser and moisturizer till i can afford the clarins stuff 2 for £4 in boots when its £4 each not bad i thought smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.