Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2013 - Definitely in the third trimester now!

(1000 Posts)
badguider Mon 01-Jul-13 12:42:48

New thread... will try to find the stats thread and link...

jennimoo Tue 02-Jul-13 08:09:00

I think the skip hop change bags get good reviews, or you'll see most people with the boots one!

I have 2 boots ones now, a 2nd hand pink lining one, and a little bag that clips to the buggy...

jennimoo Tue 02-Jul-13 08:09:59

And don't worry triple, wc jab is just a few days and I've forgotten all about it now, unlike other aches, pains, discomforts...

badguider Tue 02-Jul-13 08:19:48

Is it just me or does anybody else think a rucksack would make a better changing bag than these shoulder bags?
I've got a black north face one I'm thinking of kitting out as a changing bag as I just think it might be less annoying...?

I've got a blue & white striped Babymel bag which is DH approved (& I love it)

kimjayne Tue 02-Jul-13 08:29:45

kitten, I think it was you who asked about unisex changing bags? (sorry im on my mobile), we got ours from Cath Kidston. my DH was being a right fussy bugger about wearing a "girly" bag. As we are having a boy I bought the Cowboys and indians design one. its a bit expensive but I figured it was something we would use every single day so worth the extra. It has lots of handy pockets, thermal bottle carrier and a decent size changing mat.
I have a quick question regarding Iron tablets. I think a few ladies on here are taking them. Ive been prescribed a dose of 1 a day. ive also been taking pregnacare until DH pointed out that I might be taking too much iron. I stopped the pregnacare and suddenly my annoying itchy skin (on arms and legs) cleared up. my question is, should I be taking any preggy vitamins still? my midwife always tells me to continue the pregnacare. im gonna call her today but I know I will struggle to catch her and my GP is effing useless.

kimjayne Tue 02-Jul-13 08:32:49

ooooh also, I have my hospital tour tomorrow!!!!! eeeeek. All getting WAY too real now.

weebarra Tue 02-Jul-13 08:44:53

I have the skip hop duo which has lots of handy compartments. Useful for using real nappies and the amount of stuff you have to take for children of different ages.
A normal ruck sack would be fine too though smile .

Kittenkatzen Tue 02-Jul-13 09:00:13

Ooh you're all brilliant, thanks for all the bag suggestions - I've got a nice long list of links to investigate at lunchtime now smilesmile

Wincher Tue 02-Jul-13 09:12:11

Morning all, need to get my place marked on the new thread.

TripleRock, my arm wasn't really sore at all after the WC jab - a bit tender for a day or so just from the needle, but I didn't get the proper pain I remember from the swine flu jab in my last pregnancy, when I couldn't lift my arm up for a couple of days. You might get lucky.

It's all coming round fast now!

RunningBear78 Tue 02-Jul-13 09:33:33

badguider we have a huge selection of underused rucksacks so I'm going to have a go with one or two of those, one with lots of pockets though. I also thought I'd get a few of the waterproof swimming bags from Decathlon to put wipes and dirties and stuff in.

I have a bit of a squiffy back, so the idea of carrying such a heavy bag over one shoulder really doesn't appeal - although do appreciate that many people use the 'shoulder' bags to hang of a push chair!

I had a bit of arm ache from the wc jab, which hurt for about two or three days, and just that one day of feeling fluey.

I think swimming makes me have Braxton Hicks ... not sure, just hurts a bit for a short while then goes away.

Mooster1709 Tue 02-Jul-13 10:39:51

Thanks all for your thoughts on the bouncer - I might splash out.

And yes Dorita - sounds like SPD sad. Though it turns out that for me at least just stopping moving much seems to have sorted it out. But that includes walking, so not ideal...

I went to my first antenatal class last night. Hmm. Nearly 2 hours on 'natural' birth and 10 minutes at the end designed specifically (the midwife's words) to put us off drugs. Plus some actual lies/ entirely unsupported things thrown in about pain relief. Not very impressed, in fact pretty irritated. Hoping the NCT might be a bit better -this was the hospital/ docs surgery one. Back to 'Bumpology' (and constant harrassment of doctor friends) for me... Would be nice not to be left completely to your own devices to find out real, scientific, information though.

Rant over. In lighter news, poor DH was traumatised, and spent the rest of the evening muttering about how he'd never seen a baby born before and it gave him the willies. Gives HIM the willies??!! (Am chuckling at my own use of 'the willies'. Infantile).

Wincher Tue 02-Jul-13 10:54:43

I never had a proper changing bag <deprived>. I just tend to use whatever bag comes to hand... I have my eye on a messenger bag from paperchase I might ask for for my birthday.

I have just taken off my wedding/engagement rings - they were getting really tight and I didn't want to risk not being able to get them off or having to have them cut off. I remember from last time it taking a bit of getting used to not wearing them!

RunningBear78 Tue 02-Jul-13 11:25:55

Mooster the Baby Bjorn babysitter seats look awful, especially all those ones on eBay, I would steer clear if I were you ... I don't want one at all, just helping you out wink

Mooster1709 Tue 02-Jul-13 11:26:40

Meant to say triple you might get lucky with the WC jab - mine was a little bit sore (like a bruise) for a few days but that was it.

Mooster1709 Tue 02-Jul-13 11:28:47

bear , that made me laugh - we should all let each other know when we're bidding on eBay stuff to avoid intra-mn bidding wars!

EmmaDee Tue 02-Jul-13 11:34:06

wincher I have had to remove my wedding ring now too, Im 28 weeks tomorrow. My engagement ring was a bit bigger so still have it on, but not for long I think! How far gone are u?

Got my 28 week appointment tomorrow, not looking forward to the bloods. The nurse in my docs surgery obviously trained sometime in the 1840's, she goes in everytime for a different test tube, rather than just one needle and then the vacumn system. I was gonna ask her why she does this as she runs out of veins, but she's a tad scary!!

RunningBear78 Tue 02-Jul-13 12:02:37

good call mooster ... i can't quite decide how much my upper limit would be for those chairs. i really like the organic one going today, but there are all those other ones still on for £20 so don't want to feel ripped off! ...and want a cute wooden toy too grin shame none of the collection only ones are near me.

I'm going to refuse bloods today, fed up of midwives randomly puncturing me on the hope of hitting blood...just going to request a hospital form and get it done by the pro's!

EmmaDee Tue 02-Jul-13 12:17:27

ready can you do that? I would much prefer it!

TripleRock Tue 02-Jul-13 12:18:43

I always got on fine with the Boots changing bag, and later our Cosatto freebie that came with our pushchair. Both reasonable sized, black shoulder bags which DH is happy to carry.

Has to be a bag with a long strap for me so it can go over the pushchair handles.

I'm really looking forward to going minimalist with what I carry round this time. Last time I was woefully over prepared for months and carried Calpol, Milton tablets and DDs red book, about 10 nappies and at least 2/3 changes of clothes and 4 muslins everywhere - ridiculous!

Mooster1709 Tue 02-Jul-13 12:23:52

bear I'll keep my hands off the organic one today! in fact won't do any bidding for the next few days... They seem to be selling for about £60-£70, I thought, which given that they're £85 new in John Lewis did make me think about getting one new. Will try the £60 mark first though.

On changing bags I've got one of these to shove in the bottom of the buggy or in my handbag (a bit of a squeeze, but doable) - skiphop

They sell similar ones in jojo maman bebe, and there's another one called the melobaby. Thought then I could shove it in whatever bag i needed (rucksack, handbag, just straight in car/buggy).

jennimoo Tue 02-Jul-13 12:32:02

On change bags: backpacks don't go over buggy handles so well, although work great if (like most people) you end up mostly using a lightweight maclaren type stroller, as the 2 straps slip over the handles. Just need to take care when you take DC out or it can tip back though!

Had 32 week MW today. Uneventful although nice to meet my new MW at last as my old one retired. Measured at "31?"(That's what it said in notes, she didn't mention it) at 32+1 (was 29 at 28 weeks...) although she did say after some uncomfortable prodding she wasn't too sure which way round he is. Apparently that's fine but if she isn't sure he's head down at 36 weeks I'd be sent for a scan. I guess if he's a weird angle in there that accounts for the lower measurement...

JammyTummy Tue 02-Jul-13 12:38:52

Just had another baby class with the midwife who doesn't believe in pain relief. Ooohhhh that woman winds me up so much!
I'd asked her, what is the cut off point past which you can no longer choose to have an epidural or morphine, as I would like to initially try to go without, but if I decide the pain is too much I want to have the option. She started going on about how by stage 2 I should just be able to work with my body and labour through it all on just happy thoughts and fairies and unicorns. Does that answer my question?
So.. I tried to clarify further: I am personally more concerned about the pain of tearing than the pain of contractions, so when is the latest I could have a shot of morphine/ choose to have the epidural? To which I got the same answer all over again. But then she kept singling me out for the rest of the class and saying that I looked traumatised and that I probably don't even want to go ahead with giving birth etc! Just because I'd asked what my options are!

RunningBear78 Tue 02-Jul-13 13:26:02

Mooster yup spotted the cost of the seats in john lewis - does make me think people are a bit optimistic/greedy with some of the starting prices on eBay! I'll have a stab at the organic one and see what happens ...

fl0b0t Tue 02-Jul-13 13:36:33

smile found you all and we're at three pages already!

I also want to use Nectar points for baby stuff! Good to know about Bank Hols in maternity leave.. though I've just realised I leave in 7 weeks and HR haven't been in touch at all.......... they should have had my MatB1 ages ago!

Recovered from W/C vacc, bloods and anti-D last week, kitchen is almost finished and all feels good in the world :-) (except horrible hayfever without medication, sickness and acid reflux....)

This thread is not accepting new messages.