Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2014 (Thread 6) - The Lies and Truth of pregnancy..... Read on!!

(1000 Posts)
LittlePeaPod England Sun 30-Jun-13 13:59:49

Lie = Your glowing vs Truth = Your sweating, freezing, puking and an emotional basket!

Lie = After the first trimester your ms will disappear vs The truth = It will be there in the second trimester and the third..... and probably after you give birth! Get used to it!

Lie = You don't look even look pregnant vs The truth = whatever, you look pregnant from space!

Lets see what we learn from the second trimester! grin wink

Sultanajo Sat 20-Jul-13 15:20:04

Thats super cute mrsv! smile

Frizz1986 Sat 20-Jul-13 15:37:05

penny it's not necessarily too late to buy and move by Xmas. It all depends on how fast yours sells and how organised you are. Oh and also how quickly you find a place u like too.
I was lucky as we bought from rented so obv takes less time, but after putting our offer in it was 8 weeks until we got the keys.
All in all it prob took 7 months but that was because the offer on the house they wanted wasn't accepted and they couldn't see anything else they liked so they took their house off the market. Then 2 months later they called us to see if we were still looking as they had found somewhere else they wanted. Lucky I know.

I am only 15+1 but have started getting a weird feeling when I get into bed and start to go to sleep. Could I be feeling pinnochio this early?

Am also getting horrible lower back pain through the night. It's awful and it takes me a few minutes to be able to get up to go pee. Anyone else suffering this early? Thought it was supposed to arrive much later than this.

bunt your neighbour sounds awful. Def be uber lovely so she knows that u couldn't give a damn as u know u are an excellent parent.

Bluecarrot Sat 20-Jul-13 15:49:07

bunt saw your other thread before I made the connection to here. What an ass sad haven't looked at it yet today but I hope you feel more settled

I saw a dream genii in tk maxx today so have brought it home to try it for a few mins before buying one second hand. I had been happy with the thin duvet rolled up solution til the hot weather arrived. I'm converted now smile

Penny31 Sat 20-Jul-13 17:21:27

frizz I've been having the back pain and it radiates to my hip. Have you tried a pillow between your legs?

DP wanted to move too but he thinks we should wait until next year as our mortage is small and it means we'd have more money while I'm off. I've been to get some storage boxes and trying to have a clear out. I felt a tiny bit better but I'm really just moving things about!

Frizz1986 Sat 20-Jul-13 17:45:15

penny yea i have a giant pillow donated by my sister that i sleep with between my legs but it does nothing sad Think i need to start some excercise/stretching that might help as its only going to get worse as baby gets bigger.

enormouse Sat 20-Jul-13 17:58:19

sultanajo I bought mothercares u-move (now £130) as it was one of the cheapest available. It's it in fairly good condition now (apart from the rain cover) at almost 2 years old and we plan on using it again. If I had the money I would have gone for a silver cross surf. As well as the u-move pushchair, we have an all terrain mamas and papas 03 which we use for dog walking and hiking.

That's adorable MrsV, I love bear ears on baby clothes

Can you ebay anything penny and make a little cash?

Well I can't actually kill my DP as planned. Ds (or his daddy) really wanted to win best dressed teddy. So DP spent several hours turning Jeff the bear into Dr who, complete with tiny tardis, sonic screwdriver and bow tie. I can't stay mad at a man who does that.
Incidentally, Jeff didnt win but that's because the judges were 'blind' and 'it was obviously rigged'.

Sultanajo Sat 20-Jul-13 18:17:24

frizz am getting intermittent back pain. Its fine today but yesterday I was walking like an old woman and I too have to psych myself up to get off the sofa as its quite low and gives me uterus pain when I get up...

enormouse how super cute is your DP with the teddy! Clearly a fix!

blue dream geniis are amazing! However, the night time heartburn is getting so bad I am currently sleeping propped up against 4 pillows and two rolled up duvets! grin

Sultanajo Sat 20-Jul-13 18:55:27

enormouse meant to say thanks for the pram reviews. There are just sooo many out there! Think gonna have to go and try some out....grin

enormouse Sat 20-Jul-13 19:44:06

sultana that's the most fun way. I had a great afternoon playing with them.
The only hard rule I stuck to was that 3 wheeled one's do better in the countryside, and 4 wheeled ones with smaller wheels are better in the city.
Also definitely get one you know you can collapse and insert the seat part into.
Now that I remember if you like the bugaboo/icandy style, the mamas and papas ones (mylo/sola etc with cybex aton car seat) have a very similar design.

Sultanajo Sat 20-Jul-13 19:54:16

Thanks very much enormouse. It feels like such a big decision! shock

TarkaTheOtter Sat 20-Jul-13 19:54:38

penny we did a similar thing when we were expecting dd. put flat in market in July. Had offer after 2 weeks. Put in offer on new house in early August, moved in October when I was 6 months pregnant.

TarkaTheOtter Sat 20-Jul-13 20:00:58

Sultana we have a quinny buzz which is good. Works with maxi cosi car seats. I WISH we had bought it second hand though. So many on ebay in good condition we could have saved so much money. My df bought a bugaboo second hand and when a part broke he called them up and they sent out a replacement part even though he wasn't the original purchaser and it was old. So I'd definitely consider buying that second hand.

Also wish we'd considered the Phil and Teds explorer as then we wouldn't have to replace with a double.

lovelilies Sat 20-Jul-13 20:06:51

I want a Phil & Ted!! Have to persuade dp to let us have dc3 (dd is 8 and wouldn't really squeeze in!!) pretty soon after this one wink

lovelilies Sat 20-Jul-13 20:07:51

Really not keen in the new-fangled space age chrome affairs that look like weird trolleys shock

MrsGSR Sat 20-Jul-13 21:50:19

I love looking at prams, really excited about dragging DH to Birmingham to go pram shopping after the 20 week scan smile

Hoping everyone is coping ok with the heat!

Bluecarrot Sat 20-Jul-13 23:18:29

Was looking at buggies in mothercare today. Bewildering! I hope to use a sling plenty as I like a lot about the attachment parenting style ( mixed with Montessori and prob a few other things!) but want a pram or buggy too.

So far my wants are

Lie flat
Parent and forward facing
Big wheels as will need to go over our gravel driveway easily.
Slim for public transport use.
One handed folding/putting up
Light but well made.
Have one handle rather than one at each side.
Removable, machine washable covers
Unisex ( hope it'll be used for future kids too!)

BuntCadger Sun 21-Jul-13 00:02:08

We have a bugaboo gecko from dd2 (5) used for him and dd. loved the pram part as never wanted to attach car seat (adapters are available) as I think that being scrunched up in one for hours can't be good for them.

I used a sling a lot (still do) started with the closer sling and have an ergo baby one which is fab but wish I'd gotten used to traditional wrap one when dd was smaller as I tried her in one a few weeks back and it pulled shoulders, where as the ergo has weight on my hips.

I use maclaren stroller for dd more often now than bugaboo as Ds2 (5) sneaks in it too and I can pop dd in sling.

I may end up getting preloved phil and ted when zom a bit older but initially ill use sling a lot. I am a bit of a hippy mummy anyway and hoping to tandem feed as well.

Thanks for lovely support again. Still grrr about it all. Xx

BuntCadger Sun 21-Jul-13 00:02:44

Ds2(5) not dd2 LOL only one dd soooo far ;)

Apparentlychilled Sun 21-Jul-13 06:27:07

I have a Quinny Buzz and liked it, though both of mine were out of it by about 12-18 months (w DD I thought she'd be in it till 4, as per the marketing bumf).

Sultanajo Sun 21-Jul-13 07:26:56

Thanks for all your pram comments and blue when u find one with that spec, let me know!,grin

Not sure our little pod is around at the mo. Has anyone set up a new thread? We only have space for five more posts and one needs to include the link to the new thread. Am happy to attempt to set one up - never done it, but dont wanna go ahead if someone else has already....

Sultanajo Sun 21-Jul-13 09:09:55

OK, have bitten the bullet and hopefully correctly set up the next thread.

Hopefully here is the link:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1807815-January-2014-Thread-7-more-excitement-to-come

TarkaTheOtter Sun 21-Jul-13 09:30:55

Apparently what year is your quinny? I have a 2011 one and I think they changed the seat because my 91st centile 17 month old still has

TarkaTheOtter Sun 21-Jul-13 09:33:25

Arghh stupid phone. Continued...

...plenty of growing room. Her feet dont reach the footrest yet and she is quite tall. In fact thinking about it I used it with my friends 2.5yr old last year. A 4 yr old would still struggle I think.

MrsVDB Sun 21-Jul-13 09:37:24

Well done sultana!

You are all far too organised! Choosing a pram hasn't even come into my head yet, although I heard silver cross are good

Sultanajo Sun 21-Jul-13 09:43:01

Filling up the thread!!! grin grin grin grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.