Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013 - Who is the least prepared?

(1000 Posts)
GTbaby Sun 30-Jun-13 11:09:09

just made it in time for last post on old thread... i hope

claphammama Sun 30-Jun-13 17:24:46

I agree with everyone Bridget, would feel exactly the same. You also have another little one to look after and will need help and support so you can put your feet up in the evening. Second pregnancy is much tougher.

My DP cancelled his stag do trip last weekend as I wasn't very well and he would need to be away for 4 nights (massive brownie points for this... I'm sure he will want to cash them at an appropriate moment!) He needs to go to Asia in early / mid September though... for a week. It's a conference in Bali (bastard!) so about 15-16 hours trip including all the transfers. Not happy as we don't have any family here in case something happens but not much I can do about this trip. Thankfully I'm due only on 22nd Oct...

A funny and scary story for us though! My work friend in the US threw a massive party at his home when his wife was 37 weeks. She went into labour the following morning and struggled to wake him up. He was too drunk to call the cab, too drunk to get in the cab, and once they got to the hospital, he just fell asleep on the floor, totally passed out. He was useless and hardly remembers the birth! When she was pregnant with their number 2 he was grounded pretty much for all 9 months!

ananikifo Sun 30-Jun-13 17:25:41

Checking into the new thread!

I feel very unprepared but will feel a bit better this month. I've bought some more clothes and will order the nappies this month. DH's aunt and uncle have offered us a cot which we will definitely accept and a carseat which we are considering. Because it's coming from family I think it's more trustworthy than a random used carseat on eBay. We'll have to drive a few hours to pick them up but we can pretend it's a holiday. smile Then it's just a chest of drawers and bedding/mattress once we're in the new house, and cheaper things like muslins and a few more clothes and I think we'll be set for the newborn stage at least.

Can I ask about bibs? Newborns use bibs, right? Is it more for dribbling or for during feeds? Are those triangle-shaped dribble bibs good for newborns/young babies or should I get the traditional kind of bib?

My sister used the triangle shaped bandana bibs for newborn Ana and my niece seemed to wear them all the time as she was very dribbly. They look a little bit like a cowboy outfit but perhaps better than traditional shaped bib? I am to that keen on either but saves changing the whole outfit if they dribble/sick on it.

Car seats are a problem if they have been in an accident but you can trust family. I have also been told that if they were used for a bigger child they will have compressed the foam so it won't be as safe for a little baby. Might be worth researching the as only one person told me this. And they were told by carseat salesman who obviously has an interest in making you not choose secondhand...

legallyblond Sun 30-Jun-13 17:53:57

Checking in!

cazboldy Sun 30-Jun-13 18:26:53

27 degrees here this afternoon - and i have been so lazy! don't feel like eating either....

cazboldy Sun 30-Jun-13 18:30:58

unless you have a sicky baby i never used bibs til they were weaning. Muslins are invaluable for wiping up. And comfort blankets when they are bigger....... and very easy to have multiples of so you can wash them!

My niece is allergic to cows milk and so was very sticky as my sister was eating it and it went through her breast milk. Refluxy sticky dribbly little thing. Good to know not all babies are so messy Caz!

I've had a stressful day out school uniform shopping. We're only 3 days Into the school holidays but I wanted it done early as I'm already getting sore walking around. I just hope there are no massive growth spurts before they start back at school in August.

Sorry it wasn't as fun as you hoped MoN. Did you get everything?

claphammama Sun 30-Jun-13 18:42:12

same as caz, didn't use any bibs until weaning, just muslins for wiping and you could stick them under their chin when feeding if needed. Also, DS didn't dribble until he started teething. And then went on dribbling until he was three!

PseudoBadger Sun 30-Jun-13 18:53:46

We never used bibs, DS was very sicky and I had about 20 muslins grin

JellyCurls Sun 30-Jun-13 19:01:26

MoN I did mine over Internet last year as dd despises shopping and noise and lights in shops sends her into full blown meltdown so think we will do that again this year, need to get organised. Also holiday to Spain in 3 weeks do need to try get stuff for that, MIL loves shopping so planning on sending her with some pennies.

Day 2 of toilet training and all is not well. DS has stopped marking his territory by peeing everywhere but has taken to making pee puddles and jumping in them.

confused jelly!

claphammama Sun 30-Jun-13 19:10:12

oh dear jelly... how old is he? do you think he may be too young? I first tried to potty trained DS when he was just over 2 as in Europe they tend to do it earlier, but it was a disaster as constant stress for 2 wee and poo filled months... he just wasn't bothered and wasn't getting it. I then have up and tried again when he was 2 and 10 months. A totally different story and we were done in 2-3 weeks. With hardly any accidents afterwards. He just wasn't ready when I tried it first time.

claphammama Sun 30-Jun-13 19:12:24

oh sorry for all my typos... cooking and chatting on phone at the same time! hope it made sense.

jelly they also told me at the nursery that boys tend to get it much later than girls, in case you are comparing him to your DD

pinkbuttons Sun 30-Jun-13 19:18:04

checking in on new thread thanks GTbaby
oh jelly that sounds like hard work. I was very lucky with DS and he decided to potty train himself just as got my BFP but has gone backwards since we moved and has wet himsepf most nights confused Hope the joys of pee puddles wear off soon.

Another one here who just used muslins until DS was teething then we used the little cowboy bibs. He was a very sicky baby but just used to have lots of muslins on the go.

Slippysnow Sun 30-Jun-13 19:26:52

Thanks for asking about the bibs, that was one of my many questions that needed answering smile

Almost everything. I still ended up ordering a couple of things online when we got home. It's a good job I took them emwith me as 10 yr old dd ended up needing skirts in age 14-15. She does have a bit of a tummy but doesn't look that big compared to her friends.
I struggled finding her a jacket. Size 12 fitted best but the arms were way to long so I've ordered a generous looking age 13-14 from M&S as the school shirts in that size fitted.

It was Dp who made the trip stressful as he can't handle being out with all the kids at the same time and his bad mood put me in a mood.

JellyCurls Sun 30-Jun-13 19:28:51

DD has SN so toilet trained at 4.5 before starting school and still has many accidents. DS is 2.5yrs and has been telling me for past week when he has a wet nappy so think we just at a battle of wills. Why sit on toilet and pee when you can through stuff down the loo toilet roll, sisters trainer, a book and why make pee vanish down loo when you can make puddles and splash in it. Knows he is doing it as conveniently pulled his pants to the side so they wouldn't get wet.

JellyCurls Sun 30-Jun-13 19:29:12

Oh I so wish I could have a beer tonight!

I've been fantasizing about a Morgan's and coke all day. My best friend is under strict instructions to smuggle either that or a bottle of Jack Daniels onto the ward after the birth.
I suppose that will be the last thing on my mind come the time though.

Flyer747 Sun 30-Jun-13 19:36:28

DP and I can't shop together for clothes either MoN. Correction I can shop with him and sit outside the changing rooms patiently he on the other hand is an impatient misery guts when it's shopping for me. So we agree now to do it seperately.

In bed feeling very sick at the moment.

claphammama Sun 30-Jun-13 19:38:40

haha - boys will be boys! sounds like he knows exactly what he is doing jelly! mine never complained about wet nappy so I had to force it - he was perfectly happy sitting forever in whatever he did.

I'm so impressed with how organised you are MoN. I'm so happy DS's school doesn't do uniforms. Otherwise, I'm sure I would be one of those stressed mums buying everything the week before the school starts!

claphammama Sun 30-Jun-13 19:40:44

oh no... sorry you are feeling sick flyer. what exactly is it? flu like or pregnancy like? get better! X

and our DPs are definitely twins...

It was him who insisted on coming so I don't know why he was in such a huff.
Sorry you're feeling ill Flyer. A few people I know have had a stomach bug lately so I'll be staying out of their way. It's the last thing I need right now.

This thread is not accepting new messages.