Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated elderberries - 30+ and looking forward to DC1! (Thread 5)

(1000 Posts)
Alexandra6 Mon 17-Jun-13 09:40:50

Hi everyone, hope you had good wkends, I'm looking forward to my holiday next Saturday (although won't be the usual sunbathing with wine flowing!), still can't wait just to relax especially as I'm feeling a bit rough and sick today! Work are piling on the pressure ahead of my hols but who cares, in one week I will be off for two weeks woop!

Just wondered when the really preggers people started to get lightning crotch/cervix pangs? So I can be prepared and not go into cervix panic!

Bear - I had about a gazillion sweeps, they're honestly not bad at all, maybe it's more painful for some people but I honestly couldn't see what the fuss was about.

Cavort Thu 18-Jul-13 12:01:02

Brave I second sweeps not being too bad. I had two which weren't any worse than a smear. Get your MW to tell you how effaced you are before getting your consent to proceed as I imagine the less effaced you are the more painful it will be. Your MW shouldn't attempt one if your cervix isn't favourable though. And hooray for Mr Brave stepping up to the mark. smile

Alex I imagine everyone is different in how you cope with the pain, but personally I wasn't coping well so had an epidural and I am very glad I did. I think it changed my whole birth experience for the better. I found Gas & Air did absolutely nothing for me except make my mouth dry, and I had a small dose of pethidine while waiting for the Anaesthetist which also did nothing for the pain and just spaced me out for half an hour which I didn't really like. I have spoken to other women who loved pethidine and slept after having it so everyone must respond differently and you won't know until you try it. I agree that you should be firm with your requests.

Alexandra6 Thu 18-Jul-13 14:08:36

Thanks cavort I'll ask the friend who mentioned it what her bad experience was exactly but I think it might have been pethidine related. I guess like you say, everyone responds differently.

bear while you are hanging around, I just saw this thread and am reading it now and really like it: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1802518-Good-things-about-a-newborn-new-motherhood

Alexandra6 Thu 18-Jul-13 14:14:22

Aww this is my fave from that thread (brought tears to my eyes - hormones!!):

- Scooping her out of her Moses basket in the morning. She now smiles all the time, particularly, and reassuringly, when she sees my ugly mug looming over her grinning. Her face lights up. The first few times I nearly burst into tears, it was so lovely. I seem to be shiny eyed a lot at present because she smiles so easily, it's bloody lovely.

BraveLilBear Thu 18-Jul-13 16:20:18

Awww that's lovely smile thanks Alex!

Having a much better day today. Just been to the library and got a couple of books out and then got 'accidentally' given a medium cooler in my fave Costa instead of the small I paid for smile

There are benefits to being 9 months pregnant!

BelissimaLol Thu 18-Jul-13 20:33:57

Thanks for the reassurance re forceps cavort. Maybe I'm over thinking things which is just normal behaviour for me.
Have decided to stay one more week at work as I think I'll just drive myself insane at home! I work 5 min away and can take things very easy if I need to so I figured why not. More time with baby. Only change will be taking notes with me as of Monday and a pack of maternity towels grin

So you know how everyone tells you to enjoy going for meals etc when you're pregnant as you won't be able to do it for a while once the baby is here? Utter nonsense. OHs birthday today, went to one of our favourite local restaurants with our less than three weeks old baby who slept in her car seat through all three courses. She never made a peep, which is good as we're out again tomorrow night with different friends grin

Alexandra6 Thu 18-Jul-13 21:55:50

Sounds great purple! Two people have told me this week to go out and do as much as poss in the first 6-ish months as the baby was easier to take out then in their experience.

Cavort Thu 18-Jul-13 21:56:30

I am so jealous! In stark contrast to that Purple, ours woke up just as my long-awaited rare steak arrived at our table resulting in DH having to cut my food up for me while I fed her and ate with one hand angry

Cavort Fri 19-Jul-13 12:42:36

Any progress Brave? Sorry, I should know better having just been through this myself the last thing you want is for everyone to keep asking. blush

I am trying hard not to moan about the weather, but I've just seen a forecast it's going to be even hotter next week so I'm going to give in to my grumpiness and say I wish it would rain! sad I usually love the sun but this is really not an ideal situation when trying to follow advice to keep a newborn cool. At least I haven't been caught out by our lack of tiny baby clothes as she's just living in a nappy.

BraveLilBear Fri 19-Jul-13 13:30:06

Lol I forgive you Cavort smile no news at all, any pretend niggles have petered out although hormones are still knocking about as got annoyed at DP this morning when I woke to find he'd finished off the last of the squash that I'd been specifically saving for today.

Not exactly a crisis but he then couldn't see how that would be annoying to the 9 months pregnant, overheated woman he shares a house with. The fact that he'd shown zero interest in said squash prior to this morning also seems to be passing him by.

Grr.

Currently watching Tour de France while waiting for my mum to show up for a rare visit. Was all excited at the prospect of company but in a bit of a grump now.

Grr. Hot weather no baby yet grizzle.

Least I only have myself to keep cool. I feel for all you mamas hot and worrying!

Alexandra6 Fri 19-Jul-13 13:39:35

Naughty squash stealing mr bear! My DH was in trouble too as he went out for his office summer party last night - I was shattered so in bed and he text me twice after midnight (ok it was to say "love you", but still!) Then he got home at 2.30am and had forgotten his keys so I had to let him in (grumpy pregnant woman). Then he drunkenly rolled over onto me twice in his sleep and accidentally (I hope) whacked me in the jaw stretching out in his sleep! Naughty DH.

On the plus side, at least my work are letting me work from home during the heat wave so I don't have to get the tube!

Hope you're managing to stay as cool as you can brave!

HazleNutt Fri 19-Jul-13 14:24:39

tell me about the heat, it has been 31-32C every day here and this will continue for the foreseeable future. And of course I can't use the pool yet..

Dogs are not amused either.

janey1234 Fri 19-Jul-13 14:42:04

Same temperature here hazle. And london in the heat is sooo delightful. Thank god we put air con in the loft conversion!

Don't say words like 'loft conversion', reminding me that I still don't have one could be the thing that finally tips me over the edge!

We've got a level 2 'let's all panic because its a bit warm' alert in the south west as well, but with the benefit of sea breezes grin don't know why I bothered buying baby clothes...

Alexandra6 Fri 19-Jul-13 15:58:38

Urgh loft conversion <shudders> - another one here who doesn't want to be reminded that our start and finish date still isn't set for the loft conversion we're having done and I would like to be finished in goof time before my due date! If DH wasn't such a hungover mess, we could discuss and progress it tonight! (and yes I am jealous of his fun boozy night out)

BraveLilBear Fri 19-Jul-13 18:51:13

Lol Purple... that makes me feel less worried about lack of baby gros but dozens of vests smile

We've had a breeze today so a bit cooler. And I bought some more squash.

Crisis over. Next drama, DP has friend coming over tonight to play computer games. Arranged last night so not much time for me to arrange anything.

Decided I'd treat myself to watching the 2012 opening ceremony on blu ray but he's just taken the ps3 upstairs so that ain't happening!

MotherOfCleo Sat 20-Jul-13 11:07:32

Hi ladies, back from a fab and very very hot holiday in tunisia. How is everyone? Good I hope! Did I see a preggo Merkin??? Hope so!!!! grin grin

Do we have a new lady? Bellisima? Or a name change?

Yup Mother, hoping 3rd time lucky, 4+6 today (on LMP, or 4+3 on O) which is super super super early I know. However over 20 tests later its sinking in! Scary thing is we're having to tell IL's tomorrow (as OH wants them to know prior to telling friends and we will end up telling friends why I'm not drinking on hols in 2 weeks). Actually really dreading telling ILs hmm

Alexandra6 Sat 20-Jul-13 11:25:51

Why are you dreading telling ILs merkin?

Glad you had a fab holiday mother!

HazleNutt Sat 20-Jul-13 11:31:40

A tip regarding baby clothes, don't get too many of the small ones. Victor is 3 weeks old today and already grown out of the first size.

Oh and we're running out of space here - as usual, whoever posts the last comment will make a new thread.

Because its early and I'm worried about tempting fate, because I don't really fancy the fuss that will follow, and because my MIL will then tell me everything I can and can't do in a 5 hour monologue which I don't have the patience for!

janey1234 Sat 20-Jul-13 14:12:49

Agreed hazle - it's crazy how fast they grow hmm newborn baby grows that were way too big on him now are a bit on the small side...

Little aside - my boobs were just feeling back to normal (ie not too painful) and then Miles started feeding non-stop due to the heat, and he's now started a lovely thing of shaking his head side to side with me nipple in his mouth confused Ouchie, I'm sore again....

BelissimaLol Sat 20-Jul-13 14:40:52

Ouch janey that does not sound nice!!! I'm dreading what will happen to my nipples!
Brave how are you? What are the next steps for you? Sweep? When? You must be utterly fed up now!
Last night I dreamt my waters broke and it was so vivid I had to get up and check!
My next step is mw at 40 weeks which is a week on tue. Lets see what happens!!!
Hi mother- I'm lol, one of the original berries (my claim to famegrin). Just went off MN for a while. Nice to meet you!
How's everyone else?

HazleNutt Sat 20-Jul-13 16:48:55

any new photos of the berry babies? They really grow and change so fast during those first weeks.

This thread is not accepting new messages.