Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Graduated elderberries - 30+ and looking forward to DC1! (Thread 5)

(1000 Posts)
Alexandra6 Mon 17-Jun-13 09:40:50

Hi everyone, hope you had good wkends, I'm looking forward to my holiday next Saturday (although won't be the usual sunbathing with wine flowing!), still can't wait just to relax especially as I'm feeling a bit rough and sick today! Work are piling on the pressure ahead of my hols but who cares, in one week I will be off for two weeks woop!

Just wondered when the really preggers people started to get lightning crotch/cervix pangs? So I can be prepared and not go into cervix panic!

Cavort Tue 18-Jun-13 08:56:29

Yes Purple that's exactly what happened. I just saw the word 'oats' and ate the wrong one. wink
Are you off to see your new consultant this morning?

Cavort Tue 18-Jun-13 08:58:12

Oh Janey I haven't heard that but I really hope it's true! You would think it would be the other way around wouldn't you? Hurrah for old age. grin

Alexandra6 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:00:10

I agree janey I ended up seeing a lovely student midwife the other day as my usual midwife was busy and I explained it to her. I said I don't care if they have wrong dates down as the baby will come when it wants to (and I'm more worried about not baking it long enough) and she agreed it's only an issue if I do go over and need to be induced. She said I can refuse to be induced until it makes sense by my dates.

My mum doesn't like talking about my birth much! Poor her! Funnily enough I'm preferring good birth stories anyway now I'm preggers! wink

Cavort Tue 18-Jun-13 09:07:38

Yet another conflicting report on booze during pregnancy.

For a start, the dramatic headline doesn't reflect what this report is actually saying.

I think because most of the advice on pregnancy drinking is based on anecdotal evidence, I think the official advice from the NHS/government should be to abstain altogether. I see too many pg women drinking too much (way over 1 or 2 units in one go) because, 'the NHS says it's ok,' and reports like these don't help.

Cavort Tue 18-Jun-13 09:17:25
MotherOfCleo Tue 18-Jun-13 09:20:23

10.5lb....yikes

In other news I just bought a swimsuit.....look like I need rescuing by greenpeace grin eeek.

None of us need to worry about the birth, surely they just slide out with no fuss, just like shelling a pea. wink

Quodlibet Tue 18-Jun-13 09:24:36

Maybe the no-stretch marks thing is because by our mid-30s we have baggied up our skin nicely all by ourselves slowly over time and so baby isn't doing it quickly and ripping it?!

Alex fx for your cervix scan.

I am still unsure where I stand on drinking...haven't done so (or really wanted to) so far but can't guarantee I'd pass up a glass of nice bubbly at one of the many weddings I am attending, for example...

Alexandra6 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:28:29

My view on booze is it's probably absolutely fine to have a glass now and again but I just wouldn't enjoy the idea of it preggers so I'm not risking any at all. Will miss it on my holiday but now and again I have a cheeky sip of DH's drink and that sip is soooo good! Can't wait for a nice chilled drink post birth!

Yes to shelling a pea birth! mother I don't think we're far apart in the birth line up smile

janey1234 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:29:16

That's what I've done quod. Although I miss it like hell! But on special occasions (when I got engaged, new year, wedding) I've had a small glass. Plus I had a very weak spritzer the other day when we had a BBQ as the sun was out - for the first time this year!

Have finally uploaded a bump pic. Looks weird as I have a towel around my bottom half but gives you an idea of -how bloody huge I am how things are coming along.

Alexandra6 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:30:06

Cross post, thanks quod smile

janey1234 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:31:23

Oh and cavort - I really want a flapjack now. This is like fanta-gate all over again hmm

janey1234 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:34:30

Oh and good luck Alex!

Also - am I the only one who assumes hazle is in labour if we don't hear from her for an hour or two? When in reality she's probably just in some high flying meeting at work whilst I lie on the sofa watching TV

HazleNutt Tue 18-Jun-13 09:36:17

I've taken a day off told the boss I'm working from home. It's already 30 degrees and rising and the only place where I'm not sweating like a pig, is the pool. I really hope the baby can wait a couple of days, it's uncomfortable enough, I don't think contractions would add anything.

MotherOfCleo Tue 18-Jun-13 09:55:59

Janey I think your pics are set as private so I can't check out the bump. smile

You all seem to have gorgeous bumps, mines coming along but its not all out in front, it spreads round the sides making me look like a bit of a chunk.

janey1234 Tue 18-Jun-13 10:02:31

Oh I'm useless. Have I changed it now?!

Cavort Tue 18-Jun-13 10:11:26

Janey your bump doesn't look too big at all, but I suppose it's difficult to gauge as you are about 9 foot tall!

Good call Hazle, it must be awful coping with that temperature.

BraveLilBear Tue 18-Jun-13 10:44:29

Morning all - what an impressive set of bumps in the rogues gallery! Hazle you definitely look all-bump to me, Purple yours is really neat (but totally see how it's straining your back), Janey yours is tiny! And Cavort I am forever in awe grin

Am tempted to put one up later if I manage to snap one...

Good luck for the scan Alex and hope your new consultant is nice Purple. Great work on the skive work from home thinking Hazle grin

As for me, I'm sat at my desk, struggling to breathe - there's just so much bump! It's basically now wedged between my not done up trousers and my ribcage, and is solid so I can't bend forward.

And there's five weeks to go. Gulp.

janey1234 Tue 18-Jun-13 11:05:31

It is big, Alex will vouch for that. I think my boobs - which are massive - put it in a weird perspective?

Brave poor you. It's so annoying not being able to bend forwards - every time I do now I seem to get BH. Hope the day doesn't drag too much. When are you finishing?

Alexandra6 Tue 18-Jun-13 11:56:41

Who was it who made the off side joke early on? Wasn't it when your belly sticks out more than boobs? Well I'm there already I think! grin although my boobs were never going to put up much of a fight! DH and I are fascinated with my bump already, absolutely love it!

brave hope you're not too uncomfortable at work. Can you work from home so you're more comfy?

Have serious baby brain. I nearly put a dirty glass in the fridge instead of the dishwasher, I spilt cereal all over the floor and I nearly left for the hospital an hour earlier than I need to!

BraveLilBear Tue 18-Jun-13 11:56:46

I'll live! Has eased off a bit, and helps if I lean back slightly. Finish the day at 5.30pm, finish here in just under three weeks. Am starting to give serious thought to taking some holiday days to go off earlier though, but I know I'll regret it if I cave in to my laziness (as will have to go back sooner on the other side).

Could well be a perspective thing I guess... I like the fact that everyone keeps telling me how I've only put weight on on my bump, whereas really, my hips and thighs and bum are huge compared to normality. I think the belly is making everything else look small.

Am teetering on the brink of two stone weight gain already, so I know it's not all on my belly! (Tho I suspect having normal size boobs for once is contributing to some of that at least lol).

BraveLilBear Tue 18-Jun-13 12:38:54

Meant to ask earlier - anyone else get weird worries from time to time? My latest worry is, if it's a boy, will I treat it differently as a newborn to how I'd treat a girl? Ie would I talk to him differently, handle him differently...

hmm

Cavort Tue 18-Jun-13 13:38:18

Boo to work discomfort Brave. Don't beat yourself up if you want to go part-time or finish earlier then planned. It's not laziness, just listen to your body. flowers

Curry for dinner last night, DTD again, pineapple and flapjacks this morning. I've just taken the dog out for three hours which I will doubtless pay for with SPD later and now i'm going to cut the lawn and do some gardening. Operation baby eviction is well under way but completely fruitless so far. sad

janey1234 Tue 18-Jun-13 14:29:53

Agreed cavort - if you're struggling brave just finish sooner.

Cavort - sounds like you're doing all you can and am v jealous re DTD. Is completely off the cards for us now I'm so huge DP finds it a bit weird, and if I have an elcs I can't even bully him into it to help bring on labour! Damn it...

Just watched the last episode of the sopranos for the first time. It's actually made me a bit emotional, am all teary about it?!

BraveLilBear Tue 18-Jun-13 14:51:48

Janey that happens to me non-pregnant! [weird emoticon]

Also jealous of DTD, though my desire is now synced up with DP's and has done a runner so we're both blissfully unfrisky for the timebeing.

Working from home might be an idea, but our internet connection is currently knackered so not an option til that's fixed.

Besides, there's a weird frisson about being the hot topic of gossip... one friend's machine had an email on it enitled 'BraveLilBear's leaving card and collection', and then I walked into the main office and three people literally stopped talking.

Anyway, think I've figured out why I feel so meh today. Constipation. blush

Alexandra6 Tue 18-Jun-13 15:14:59

janey I'm just envy about you watching box sets when I have to work! Can't wait for mat leave! Also glad you said that about your DP not wanting to dtd when you're heavily preggers as I'm sure that's how my DH will be when eviction time comes! Will have to tell him to man up if I get desperate and sick of pineapple!

My cervix scan went well, it measured up longer than the one 3 weeks ago, don't think it can get longer but is just difficult to scan accurately - either way it's great it doesn't look like it's shortening/opening. He said my placenta is low but still time for that to go up and they'll keep an eye - nothing to do with the cervix though, and I get scanned again for my cervix when I'm back from hols. Really pleased he thinks it's looking ok grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.