Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated elderberries - 30+ and looking forward to DC1! (Thread 5)

(1000 Posts)
Alexandra6 Mon 17-Jun-13 09:40:50

Hi everyone, hope you had good wkends, I'm looking forward to my holiday next Saturday (although won't be the usual sunbathing with wine flowing!), still can't wait just to relax especially as I'm feeling a bit rough and sick today! Work are piling on the pressure ahead of my hols but who cares, in one week I will be off for two weeks woop!

Just wondered when the really preggers people started to get lightning crotch/cervix pangs? So I can be prepared and not go into cervix panic!

Nope I'm crap as well - I didn't do anything and DSS only sent him a message on Facebook so Father's Day was a bit of a flop here!

HazleNutt Mon 17-Jun-13 13:06:01

Sigh saw some photos taken over the weekend. Only hope is that they were taken from a really, really bad angle. The other alternative is that I'm massively fat. Must be the angle.

janey1234 Mon 17-Jun-13 13:10:34

I feel your pain hazle. I think because when I look down my belly only sticks out an inch or two more than my boobs, I don't think I'm big. Then I catch sight of myself (in a photo, or a reflection in a window) and am horrified. Because I'm tall too I just feel HUMUNGOUS hmm

BraveLilBear Mon 17-Jun-13 13:24:32

Definitely the angle Hazle. Feels weird to me cos when I look down at my bump, it's sort of square-ish. But if I look in a mirror or catch myself from the side it's very very round. My sister said 'beachball' this weekend.

HazleNutt Mon 17-Jun-13 13:32:30

Not just the bump, face is also definitely puffier and chin is nowhere to be seen. This breastfeeding better be a bloody miracle diet..

Quodlibet Mon 17-Jun-13 13:47:11

Oh I haven't had a satisfying wee for weeks! I can't get any force behind it, if you know what I mean.

I'm just a walking belly, little legs, enormous bump, no boobs, then a little head on top. Even good friends and OH have started making comments about how enormous I am and that I can't possibly get any bigger. The 'are you sure there's only one on there' comments, never get tired of those either hmm

Cavort Mon 17-Jun-13 16:48:32

Oh, absolutely the angle Hazle. What else could it possibly be? wink

Quod I'm sure you already know it but it will get much worse. I have forgotten what it's like to do more than a dribble.

Ok, so I have just taken this week's bump picture (uploaded), hoping that after all these bloody shooting pains it would be noticeably lower than last week. But no, it seems to have got higher if anything. My baby seems to be going the wrong way! shock The pains must be her head unengaging. angry Has anyone ever given birth through their mouth before because that seems to be where she's headed? confused

Alexandra6 Mon 17-Jun-13 18:38:21

cavort I really want a bump like yours when I'm that far along, it's so cute!! Like your mat outfit in that pic too. I keep forgetting to take bump pics, I meant to do a weekly photo diary and have forgotten all about it! Might start from now.

I bought DH strawberries, meringue and ice cream on Father's Day and told him bump had told me to get it for him. then I scoffed most of it

Been a right grump at work today, I was really busy and felt so tired and headachey, need to remember to be nice even when I'm tired and stressed!

Just realised I'm towards the end of the due date list - that's a lot of birth stories coming up first wink although hazle's superwoman story will give me hope! Someone on my cervix group has had a baby before and she found having a new baby in her life nowhere near as stressful/anxious as pregnancy and said it's lovely so that was reassuring! Especially as I'm enjoying pregnancy most of the time when I'm not moaning or worrying

Oh and yes to unsatisfactory wee's here too!

HazleNutt Mon 17-Jun-13 18:55:05

Have put a 39+3 photo up as well, just to scare you wink

janey1234 Mon 17-Jun-13 20:03:58

Agreed cavort. It gets much worse. I can't wait to have a proper pee again.

Both your bumps look lovely smile

Cavort Mon 17-Jun-13 20:14:38

Hazle you look fab! And not fat at all. Your bump looks like it's all baby so i'm sure you'll pop back into shape in no time, especially with your gym routine. grin

Thanks Alex, that skirt is my one decent maternity purchase (£35 from Seraphine,) but I have worn it to death and have definitely got my money's worth out of it. All the rest of my maternity stuff I tried to buy as cheap as possible and I reckon they will all fall apart soon after the birth, if not before grin

You don't have to be nice at work when you're upduffed and feeling terrible. It's your prerogative to be a grump!

Alexandra6 Mon 17-Jun-13 20:23:16

Ah thanks cavort that's exactly what DH said too so he got brownie points for being a supportive dad to be!

I was thinking that about mat clothes - I'll invest in one or two nice outfits and wear them to death, and then just use my stretchy stuff/hand me downs the rest of the time!

hazle your bump is great!

HazleNutt Mon 17-Jun-13 20:27:10

alex you'll need some trousers and skirts, but otherwise it's way easier to buy regular stretchy clothes - more choice and cheaper too. I'm still wearing mostly normal dresses and tops.

Cavort Mon 17-Jun-13 20:35:34

Alex I have been surprised by how much of my non-maternity stretchy stuff still looks ok now. Like Hazle said, it's stuff to wear on your bottom half you will need to buy. I seem to remember normal tights cutting into me quite badly before the bump was even very big. Maternity tights are sooo comfy!

Well seeing as we're all in a sharing mood I've added a photo too. 38 weeks tomorrow. Believe it or not, that's actually quite a flattering photo, I look even bigger in real life shock

I think it depends on what shape you end up being with the maternity wear though because although I've worn the same few maternity trousers/jeans all the way through I've had to buy proper maternity t-shirts/tops and have had to re-buy a bigger size a couple of times as I suppose everyone ends up a different shape <see dodgy beached whale photo>

Cavort Mon 17-Jun-13 20:44:19

Purple what a lovely perfectly round bump you have! It doesn't look as big as I imagined but I can see it sticks out gravity-defyingly far so no wonder you have a bad back.

Yes it does tend to enter rooms a few seconds before me! It's because I'm so short, the poor baby has had to push outwards for any space...either that or it's a monstrous 11lb baby or something <shudders>

Cavort Mon 17-Jun-13 22:22:08

I think I have changed my mind on having a big baby as I have realised it means I will have less weight to shift afterwards. I am curently tipping the scales with a 25lb gain so I would like most of that to be baby fat chance of that. And my friend who had two very fast and easy labours/births had two big babies. I think the gravity must help!

Alexandra6 Tue 18-Jun-13 07:25:10

I like your thinking cavort but I was a ten and a half pound baby and my mum says otherwise eek! They brought my due date forward again on Friday so wonder if the scans aren't that accurate or if my baby is big for it's dates already!

Have a cervix scan today and stupidly I'm feeling a bit vain about the fact I'm not having my bikini and leg wax until Saturday before my hols - the consultant will think I'm a hairy monkey! grin oh well bet they see it all the time and clearly it's not my priority at the scan!

Cavort Tue 18-Jun-13 08:35:04

Whoah, 10.5lbs Alex? Are you worried yours will be the same? Your poor Mum! I was thinking 'big' along the lines of 9lbs. Not that I will get to choose. hmm

I really don't suppose sonographers/midwives/consultants care about personal grooming, but I would feel the same as you. It gets much harder as the bump gets bigger - mirrors are your friend. FX for a nice long cervix at your scan. grin

This morning I looked at my dull but healthy fruit museli in the cupboard.... and then glanced across at the flapjacks and 'accidentally' ate 2 flapjacks for breakfast. blush I am a terrible mother already.

Well it can't be helped if they just fell into your mouth can it? And you have got baby brain after all, you must have been confused wink

janey1234 Tue 18-Jun-13 08:42:15

Lots of midwives say that the bigger the baby the easier it is to push out, makes sense if you're in a position using gravity however that doesn't take into account the state your bits are left in afterwards My dad was the same size as Alex - ouchy - and my Nan always says it wasn't his weight that was the problem in her 48 hour labour before she was knocked out whilst they pulled him out but the size of his head shock Alex can vouch for the fact that it is indeed still massive!

Alex - weird they're still changing your dates. My consultant told me that past 12 weeks you can't date the baby as they grow at such different rates after that stage. Also weird as you know exactly when you conceived! You need to remember that for later - if they bring it forward they might try to induce you before it's necessary IYSWIM

janey1234 Tue 18-Jun-13 08:53:40

On a positive note, I was just thinking about how happy I am not to have any stretch marks yet, especially as my mum had loads and I know it's down to genetics. Anyway I stumbled upon this:

women who have their first child before the age of 20 have an 82% risk of stretch marks- while those over 35 have a 13% risk of them.

The study claimed that age was the single biggest factor determining whether you get them, not genetics. I really hope that's true and I stay stretch mark free for the next few weeks!

This thread is not accepting new messages.