Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

June 2013 - thread 9 - not many babies left to arrive now :-)

(937 Posts)
MrsBri Sat 15-Jun-13 08:37:03

New thread as we appear to be talking a fair bit!

Lets hope we've all given birth by the end of this one :-)

Steffanoid Sat 15-Jun-13 20:28:33

ami, if in doubt just ask on the active thread and explain what you need, they're some very wise people!

took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to get out of the bath, my bath is quite thin!

mum will be ok, will just take her a few days, thanks guys

and FYI if theres a baby surge please take me with you!

DontmindifIdo Sat 15-Jun-13 20:31:14

SunnyL - I'm glad it's not just me who has a non-moses basket loving DD. She also has taken to wanting to sleep on people. She's just about tolerating sleeping between us in bed, although right now is swaddled in the basket by my feet in the living room, no idea why it's so offensive when same moses basket is relocated to our bedroom <sigh>

I'm afraid I didn't pay attention either about headaches, can you call your midwife team if you're not sure?

<self indulgent whinge about feeding>
I've been having a rather hellish few days, midwife said DD hasn't regained her birth weight so they are coming back tomorrow to weigh again. I've been feeding constaintly, and snapped and introduced some formula - I can't keep this hourly feeding up, I feel wiped. It's ok in the day, but last night it was from 1am - 3am just feeding and feeding (she's feeding for 5-10 minutes, then falling asleep, then waking up again about 10 minutes later and wanting to latch again). DH gave her formula at 6am because I wanted to cry when she woke up again.

Realistically, I'm not sure this is practical once DH goes back to work next week - I've got him at home Monday - Tuesday and Wednesday DS is at nursery so I've got all day to just sit and feed, but from Thursday next week, I've got a toddler and a baby to deal with, I need to have some sort of routine in place, it's just not fair on DS, if I can't go more than 45 minutes with her off the boob, how am I going to do anything for him? Feel terrible that I fed DS until he was 5 months, feel like it's unfair on DD to give up too soon. sad

pinkapples Sat 15-Jun-13 21:21:17

I have a possible tmi but just wondered... All those with new baby girl babies is there anything coming out of them down there? Theiah seems to have some discharge sometimes what I'd consider normal and then there appears to be some slime that I can't get have cleaned it and will show midwife tomorrow but just wondered

redwellybluewelly Sat 15-Jun-13 21:22:02

pink we're dealing with mucus issues too, it panicked me the first few timea but now keep bubs a bit on her side which seems to help. Our issue is projectile vomit when she feeds from one breast!

Re the headache I'd contact your ooh MW team.

pinkapples Sat 15-Jun-13 21:41:51

Don't mind that feeding sounds hard luckily Theiah seems to feed for 30-45 mins and then sleeps till the next one (normally between 3-5hrs) no cluster feeding for me yet have you spoke to anyone about feeding?

Steffanoid Sat 15-Jun-13 21:42:16

it's totally normal with little girls, they mentioned it at our ante natal classes

Sarah2506 Sat 15-Jun-13 21:50:04

Polly has it too. Totally normal.

She also has projectile poo. It's remarkable. The speed and force with which it leaves her is quite something.

Olimoss Sat 15-Jun-13 22:04:10

Nursing bras - might I recommend the Anita? I've got the underwired one, is aces. Think it has a non-underwired version, got mine from Rigby & Peller. Totally like a normal, proper bra, v comfortable.

Projectile poo does not sound fun at all! So far Joe has been expelling as normal, hope it stays that way. There've been a couple of near misses, where poop as reached near the back of his nappy. He pees every time we take the nappy off, though, a glorious arc of yellow piss, so we have to cover his wang with a cotton pad or similar.

The glamour of new motherhood is off the scale.

Olimoss Sat 15-Jun-13 22:09:09

Don'tmind - feed her in a way that suits you. Your life is different now, you have two kids, not one, so the demands on you have really changed.

I didn't really have much choice with Joe in regards to how he fed, he had to be bottlefed in NICU, never learnt to breast feed and now refuses to even countenance the boob. I also have to top up what boob milk I can express with 1-2 formula feeds a day as I do not make enough milk to keep up with him.

I'm sad I never got the opportunity to breast feed but figure that he's doing fine and I'm doing the best I can. Same with you - both kids will be fine, and better, even, if you find a way to care for them both that doesn't leave you utterly ragged.

Sarah2506 Sat 15-Jun-13 22:14:54

Oli too true. I think my favourite moment so far was when a wee and poo combined and we ended up with runny shit absolutely everywhere. And then she threw up. On clean clothes, ours and hers.

Sarah - maybe try having a selection of special toys/books/films or whatever that he's only allowed to access when you're feeding DD? I did something along those lines when DS1 was small, it did help keep DD occupied during feeds well that and a LOT of cbeebies

Oli - I have an underwired Anita too, it's fab.

Oh and the ability of small boys to piss on their own heads never ceases to amaze me! grin

Mind you, DH last night managed to have a 5 minute period where M not only pissed on his own head, he then threw up on the clean vest before it was even on him properly, then threw up again over the 2nd clean vest. The 2nd clean vest just got wiped and left on, since it wasn't too bad. And so the horrible truth of the new baby smell is revealed... grin

Steffanoid Sat 15-Jun-13 22:24:59

oli it's because the colder air than.inside their nappy causes the bladder to contract, with my sisters ds you kinda open the nappy close it dead fast and make sure you've got some cotton wool close, but I've found by the second opening he doesn't lee as much fyi dont use baby wipes, as they're already wet they just divert per to all over the change mat instead

pinkapples Sat 15-Jun-13 22:26:28

On the poo front Theiah hadn't pooed today so I changed a wet nappy about 8pm picked her up and the dog came over smelled her bum (through nappy and baby grow) and ran back to the sofa... Turns out she'd pooed loads! Some dogs detect cancer mine can apparently identify baby shit!

SunnyL Sat 15-Jun-13 22:32:55

Been at the out of hours service re the headache. They were really lovely. Basically they expect you to have a headache but if it is so severe you feel like you can't cope or lift your head off the pillow they will do the blood patch. They've given me the number for obstetrics triage and said if I still feel awful in the morning to call them and they will do it. They also told me not to worry about wasting anyone's time.

They've given me super duper paracetamol and ibuprofen and recommend I step my fluid intake up to insane levels.

Re projectile poo. Just changed a nappy only for her to start another poo part way through. Like a tube of toothpaste this kid being jumped on by a fat man! Still it's no surprise given how much she has fed today. In laws were here for 6 hours (despite saying it would be 3hrs max hmmmmm) and she fed for at least 3 of those.

learnermummy Sat 15-Jun-13 22:42:10

Another vote for underwired Anita bras - have worn all pregnancy.

All this nappy talk - its been over 18 months since I changed one and have never changed a girl before - getting nervous!

kiwi5 Sat 15-Jun-13 23:37:46

Goodness. I go away and have a baby and then cant find u. Or rememember who was in the same boat as me on wed night! Brain seriously impacted by labour!
Congrats to all new babies.
Barnaby was born thurs eve. 7lb5oz. 2 days early.
Labour was ok. Waters broke thurs morn and then Took a while to get dilated. But then went from 0 to 60 very quickly.
Bubs doing ok. Tongue tie but appears to be feeding ok at the mo. Will see how he goes when my milk comes in!
Hopefilly will post more now i will be sat around feeding!!

pinkapples Sun 16-Jun-13 01:12:47

Awww congrats kiwi gorgeous name he shares with my little one also born Thursday... Glad he's doing ok feeding and hope your enjoying cuddles! grin

Any tips re attachment my boob is quite sore on one side my right she feeds fine from good attachment chubby full cheeks milk round mouth etc but my left she always seems to have less boob in her mouth not so many swallowing sounds (although she is feeding and does swallow) and slightly pinched in cheeks? It is quite sore so will slide my finger in and try to reattach her but she goes back on the same way? I'm holding her to the side as boobs are mahoosive and midwife recommended its be easier for her to feed that way just wondered any ideas? Midwifes coming tomorrow so something else to ask hehe grin shell love me!

I wonder what's going on tonight any stirs keep us posted when not pre occupied obviously wink

AlohaMama Sun 16-Jun-13 01:19:51

So much to catch up on. We came home from hospital Wednesday lunchtime then spent next two days getting our house ready to sell. Today is the open house and then we can relax!!

Evie is doing well, hasn't regained her birth weight yet (though only 4% down) so we still have to wake her up every 3 hours to feed. I'm just looking forward to sleeping longer, like everyone, and now we're done with the house, hopefully having dh be able to helps bit more.
:
Yyy sunny on the boobs. Goodness me like two rock hard watermelons. My nursing bras are all too tight and I can't even lie on my side as it hurts for them to press against the bed. Can't wait for them to settle down. Its ridiculous.

Sorry for all those bored with waiting. Congrats kiwi and anyone else I've missed.

Congrats Kiwi thanks

(Not at all jealous your labour progressed....)
Still on and off contractions here loads of discomfort tonight so I've given up trying to sleep. Custard cream or Bourbon biscuit anyone?

pinkapples Sun 16-Jun-13 03:59:22

Ohhh ill take a bourbon brew hubby's got a thing with chocolate hobnobs at the minute that's all I can find in the bloody cupboards grin

Just having a 3.30 cuddle as Theiah's been up I think pretending to choke although her beautiful song in the basket beforehand tells me I think she's fine and after coughing up nothing she's fallen asleep on me grinhave collected some brown stuff that she sicked at the last feed smallest amount ever! To show midwife might help

Slept better tonight tho think I managed 5 hrs not including anything I get after her next feed so that's nearly double yesterday

pink how do you pronounce your baby's name?
stef very good point about it hopefully being quick...

....if I get that far. Had a good walk around the park and fed the ducks in the pouring rain this afternoon, and its definitely started something....I think....maybe. bloody first-timer!

Started getting bad period type pains sat afternoon. Things started to get regular, 15 mins or so about 5 pm.Two hour long bath was required. Tens machine went on. Got to about 11pm exhausted, took tens off, pain was quite bad, but didn't want to sleep with tens machine on. Worried about having a massive shock. Slept for what feels like 10 mins. Got up at 3.30. Pains 10 mins apart. Been back in bath since then. Need to get out as my feet are awful crinkled.

Listening to husband snore is really pissing me off! He's woken up a few times, due to my mooing grin but is now fast asleep. I wish we could swap places!

So lots happening i hope. If I get to see midwife tomorrow and she says nothing is happening with my cervix I may be sending my next post from prison! angry

pinkapples Sun 16-Jun-13 05:32:33

Coffee that sounds awfully promising fingers crossed grin

Its pronounced thee-a it's meant to be spelt thea but we had a baby book that his alternative spellings (which I think is quite nice if you want something a bit different) so we chose a different one grin

She has finally stopped screaming and given in to a feed took 20 mins to latch on this morning she was having a serious moment! But all done and now feeding

massagegirl Sun 16-Jun-13 06:52:36

Pink makes me feel better as my Thea took about 10 mins to latch on at 3am, it was hard going! Also when she was born she had the mucus thing and bought up quite a lot. I was shown to turn her on tummy or in a sitting up burbing position and rub/pat her back. Didn't last did long. Looking forward to all the babies arriving then we can entertain each other when feeding in middle of night!

AmIGoingMad Sun 16-Jun-13 07:24:23

Congrats kiwi!smile

And fingers crossed this is it coffee!smile

Don'tmind- I think oli said it really well. You should do whatever's right for your current situation and not give yourself a hard time about it. I should imagine that life with 2 is very different to life with 1 little one- especially at the beginning when you're trying to figure it all out. I'm sure that people will have lots of helpful suggestions as to things to try out. If you feel it will benefit you as a family then you could try them but please don't feel bad if you ff. bf didn't work out for my DS and he is a bright, bouncing healthy bundle of energy at 2.5 yrs!

Learner- I'm also nervous about making the change to changing girl nappies from being used to boy ones! With boy nappies I found cotton wool pleat thingy amazing- I'd have one at the ready as soon as I opened the nappy and funnily enough DS only seemed to pee everywhere on DHs nappy changes!grin

Aloha- how did the open house go? Bet you're relieved that's over with!

A question for you lucky ladies with babes in arms- what did you actually find useful from your hospital bags? And what did you realise you really could have left out of it? I can't remember from last time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now