Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The Short Cervix Club

(637 Posts)
Pizdets Mon 10-Jun-13 19:25:31

Given the high number of threads started in 'pregnancy' on short/incompetent cervixes of late, I thought I'd have a crack at starting a club which we can join to share how we're getting on and pool the information we've been given which hopefully can also reassure or inform other ladies coming on here and worried about the state of their cervixes.

I'll kick off with a bit about my own story:

I'm currently 24+4, due 26th September. I had a scan at the prem clinic at Queen Charlotte's in London who measured my cervix as 2.3/2.4cm and advised a stitch (they do this for anyone who measures under 2.5cm). I had the stitch put in at 15 weeks with a spinal block and so far so good - I'm walking the dog, doing pregnancy yoga, still fairly active and no problems or twinges at all (so far!).

Please feel free to share your experiences, ask questions or update, it's great to hear from other people going through the same worry and so reassuring to know if things are going well!

Piz

FallOutGirl123 Thu 02-Jun-16 22:09:45

Oh yeah. I've been signed off work for the rest of the pregnancy as well. The I went i n with the contractions my cervix was measuring at <1cm. And when I went at 26 + 5 after they put in the pessary it was 8mm.

FallOutGirl123 Thu 02-Jun-16 22:07:53

Hi Guys.

I was diagnosed with a short cervix and funnelling at 24 + 6. This is baby number 1. (I literally have no idea what all the abbreviations mean). I have been given an Arabin Pessary to hold my cervix together until I'm 37 weeks. The only thing I'm really worried about is my water breaking in between... How will I know if it does? And if it does is it a POP like everyone says? I'm now 26 + 5wks. I am starting to worry about everything now.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Fri 05-Feb-16 10:02:20

Was 19+3 yesterday, Daphne.

Bre the progesterone is pretty horrible isn't it? I'm only on one 200mg pessary at night, so it's not too bad really. Good that your cervix has improved a bit as well.

Doctor was a bit abashed when I pointed out that a) I was there for the weekly scans at the request of the consultant and, amazingly enough, I've got no idea why she requested that, and b) that I didn't actually particularly enjoy making a two hour round trip every week to be poked and prodded.

It seems like the consultant has gone about things in a slightly unusual way, but that's not really my fault. I just do as I'm told! I'll see what she says when I see her next week. I'm a bit worried that there has been a bit of shortening again, but I know it's a moveable feast, and 31mm is still a decent length.

Bre19 Fri 05-Feb-16 09:01:19

That's interesting Youandme..... I had my 25/40 growth scan on Wednesday and my PET consultant had told me to ask my other consultant to do a TV scan too. Unfortunately my own scanner was away this week so this was actually the 3rd person to take cervical measurements and I really do believe there is a subjective element to it. Anyway I've been on 1600mg progesterone for 2 wks and been resting as much as I can so - hurray- there was a little improvement and it's 27mm again. However the consultant pretty much implied that he didn't really know what the fuss was about and that I didn't need such frequent scans!! I trust both my consultants hugely and fortunately I work in the health service so am very used to dealing with somewhat egotistical consultants therefore will take it all with a pinch of salt.
However it seems that the progesterone (yuck yuck yuck!) and my 'resting' are doing the trick for now!

Daphnedolittle Fri 05-Feb-16 08:28:18

That's ridiculous that they had a go at you!
Once weekly does seem very regular but if that's what they suggested then obviously you will take them up on it!
31mm sounds good. I think you are going to be fine smile how many weeks are you now?

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Thu 04-Feb-16 18:28:36

I had another scan today - down from 35mm to 31mm but the on call obstetrician said that was in the normal range and he wasn't concerned. He had a bit of a go at me actually for having weekly scans, as if it was my decision! He said it was "highly unusual and unecessary". The consultant ordered them so I don't know what he thought I was meant to have done about that. I've got an appointment with the consultant next Friday to discuss what happens next.

Daphnedolittle Thu 04-Feb-16 17:32:06

Hey youandme,
It went ok thanks for asking smile. It has shortened a bit from 1.9 to 1.7 but they don't seem concerned as it is still closed and not funnelling.
I've got one more check in 3 weeks and they said that might be my last check (ill be 30 weeks then). Seems quite early to stop checking.
I'm still on progesterone for the rest of the pregnancy. How have you been? Any more scans?

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Tue 02-Feb-16 17:57:03

How did it go Daphne?

Bre19 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:05:45

Thanks everyone.... Just on way home from scan now and there's no improvement but no worse either. My obstetrician has basically said I'm not to leave the house unless I have to and minimal driving - both of which are a bit of a headf**k but can't really argue with it either eh?? What did you guys do those of you who've had to properly rest up?? I genuinely can't imagine how to spend my days!!! My 3 yr old is with the child minder 3 days/wk so it's essentially these days which are most affected - the others will carry on semi-normally I guess as there's only so much w 3yo lets you get away with!!
Oh and we have our kitchen extension starting on Monday grin!!

Daphnedolittle Thu 28-Jan-16 23:24:11

Wow that's great news youandme smile
I'll let you know how mine goes on Monday!

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Thu 28-Jan-16 12:10:25

A happy report from me - I had another cervical scan today and my cervix has lengthened to 35mm in a week. Still have to go back next week but the doctor is very encouraged.

I hope your check goes well on Monday Daphne. And Bre I hope the progesterone is helpful for you too!

Daphnedolittle Wed 27-Jan-16 18:27:52

Hey bre,
Sorry to hear youre going through the same thing too. I measured 11mm at 21 weeks and am still going strong at 26 weeks so fingers crossed everything will be ok for you.
I have another check on Monday to see how things are progressing, my last check was 19mm and they didn't seem too worried and just kept me on progesterone. 24mm doesn't sound too bad and at least the doctors have spotted it so are doing what they can for you.

Bre19 Mon 25-Jan-16 22:10:25

I'm ver grateful to have found this thread! I'm 24/40 with MCDA twins and history of severe pre-eclampsia with my 1st child - so needless to say those were my two biggest concerns thus far (hadn't actually considered anything else to be fair!)
Short cervix was found on last week's scan and this week is a little shorter at 24mm. I have been signed off work today and am pretty gutted but hey ho, it's beyond my control now. I'm on 800mg progesterone daily and if there is no improvement by Friday he will do the fetal fibrinectin test and consider steroids. All slightly overwhelming to say the least but glad to know I'm not alone!

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Thu 21-Jan-16 20:25:35

Thanks daphne. I had the first of the weekly scans today and everything looks fine - cervix is still 24mm and closed with no funnelling. I think this is encouraging since I had only had the one progesterone pessary: hopefully the progesterone alone will be enough to keep it going.

Hope things are going well for you too.

Daphnedolittle Wed 20-Jan-16 22:27:06

Hi youandme, great to hear you are on the pessaries, and even better that they will check you once a week that's great news smile you can relax a bit more now.
I've got another 2 weeks to wait till my next check, feels so long!
Hope you are feeling a lot better and can start to enjoy your pregnancy more. At least you know they are doing everything they can and you are properly on their radar.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Wed 20-Jan-16 17:04:55

Rather surprisingly given the tone of the phone conversation I had with the consultant yesterday, she actually advised against a stitch at this stage. So it's progesterone pessaries from tonight and weekly scans from tomorrow. Stitch is in reserve as a future option but hopefully won't be needed after all. Feeling more positive now.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Tue 19-Jan-16 14:15:33

Spoke to consultant. I am to go to hospital tomorrow at 1000 to speak to her about having a stitch put in. Stitch won't be put in tomorrow but it will be done quite soon I think.

Daphnedolittle Tue 19-Jan-16 13:06:09

That's good youandme let us know how it goes.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Tue 19-Jan-16 12:03:10

I saw midwife this morning. She said the consultant has reviewed the results of the scan and I am awaiting a call from her today or tomorrow to discuss further.

Daphnedolittle Sat 16-Jan-16 13:38:39

Yeah complete luck. I wasn't told to go on bed rest or change anything about my routine which I found odd at the time. I did take it very easy though until my most recent scan. I'm still taking it easy now but going to go back to yoga now and do a bit more walking, as I saw a consultant this time and she made me feel far more at ease.
Googling is your worst enemy as in America everyone is put on bed rest!! It completely freaked me out but someone told me it's because the suing culture is so prevalent over there that doctors suggest it to cover themselves and the insurance companies cover the bill.
That's just what I've read I could be wrong of course, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence to suggest it changes the outcome, and my doctor was very anti it.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Sat 16-Jan-16 13:20:44

Wow - just total luck then! It does make you wonder if there might be lots of pregnant women wandering about with short but perfectly competent cervixes who don't find out because they aren't routinely checked. The funnelling does seem to be quite key. Are you signed off work/on any kind of bed rest, or do you just have the progesterone?

I suspect no one apart from the sonographer has yet seen or considered my results, so it remains to be seen what they will actually suggest!

Daphnedolittle Sat 16-Jan-16 13:00:35

I was 20 weeks when I was measured. I go to kings hospital which is a research hospital so they do extra scans for research otherwise they wouldn't have done it.
They were visibly shocked when they saw my cervix length as I haven't had a previous loss, this is my first baby and no previous cervical surgery.
The fact that they haven't offered you progesterone is a good sign in a way as they must be confident that you will be fine, but naturally you want to know you are doing everything you can for your baby.
I think the no funelling is key! Even at 1.1cm the fact mine was closed and not funnelling meant they were happy to wait 3 weeks.
Even if they won't book you for a scan you can always go and get checked if you turn up.
They won't turn you away, just say you are having strange symptoms and are concerned. Even if that means a little white lie its worth it for your peace of mind.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Sat 16-Jan-16 12:06:56

Thanks Daphne. I'm glad things are going well for you so far. How far along were you when you measured 1.1cm? Why was the measurement done then?

So far as I've spoken to no one and been offered nothing! I'm seeing the midwife on Tuesday morning and will ask her about progesterone then. I do understand that stitches are risky in themselves, and given the two treatments I had my cervix was always going to be short. I'm trying to reassure myself that that is not a guarantee that it is also weak - the no funnelling is a good sign! This is my first pregnancy so no previous losses to suggest definite weakness, although I am of course not keen on the idea of this pregnancy as a testing ground.

My main concern at the moment is ensuring things are properly monitored - I would like to be checked again before 20 weeks and I plan to really push for that if I can.

Daphnedolittle Sat 16-Jan-16 11:50:33

Congrats babs smile and good luck with the birth newlywed, good to see so many positive stories.

youandme have you been given progesterone? I wasnt offered a stitch despite being 1.1cm as I wasnt funelling and my cervix was closed. Just because you have a short cervix to begin with doesn't mean it will continue to shorten, so I think doctors are reluctant to perform invasive surgery that carries sometimes higher risks than your chance of delivering early. (This is what I was told) if you have had a previous loss they are more likely to offer a stitch as there is evidence that your cercix could be weak.
I would push for progesterone though as it's non invasive and has been proven to help keep the cervix stable and seems to have helped me. I am still only 24+3 so have a long way to go but that's my experience so far.

Also, I was told to wait 3 weeks for a scan and I felt it was too long. In the end after 1.5 weeks I went in to get checked as I was worried. The doctor said my cervix was still closed which helped reassure me till the next scan. Maybe you could do that? They don't need a scanner to do that just a speculum. If you are worried definitely push to be seen more as worrying isn't good for you. Hope you are feeling ok.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Fri 15-Jan-16 10:36:26

I suppose my worry is that no one has suggested a stitch, or doing anything at all really! I will see what the midwife says on Tuesday, but I really really do not just want to "wait and see" and rescan at 20 weeks - it could be too late by then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now