Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The Short Cervix Club

(540 Posts)
Pizdets Mon 10-Jun-13 19:25:31

Given the high number of threads started in 'pregnancy' on short/incompetent cervixes of late, I thought I'd have a crack at starting a club which we can join to share how we're getting on and pool the information we've been given which hopefully can also reassure or inform other ladies coming on here and worried about the state of their cervixes.

I'll kick off with a bit about my own story:

I'm currently 24+4, due 26th September. I had a scan at the prem clinic at Queen Charlotte's in London who measured my cervix as 2.3/2.4cm and advised a stitch (they do this for anyone who measures under 2.5cm). I had the stitch put in at 15 weeks with a spinal block and so far so good - I'm walking the dog, doing pregnancy yoga, still fairly active and no problems or twinges at all (so far!).

Please feel free to share your experiences, ask questions or update, it's great to hear from other people going through the same worry and so reassuring to know if things are going well!

Piz

Mummers0514 Tue 01-Oct-13 11:50:35

Thank you for all the replies!!

So who has hormones and who has stitch? When did u start this?
Ill message later with news, hopefully good news!

Alexandra6 Tue 01-Oct-13 12:03:22

No hormones, no stitch, one lletz, advised to get stitch by one consultant at 14 weeks, advised to wait and monitor by another consultant, cervix is now showing up a decent length as of around 21 weeks and I'm now 32 weeks! So I'm in a good place and grateful for it but my head was all over the place during confusing early monitoring because of mixed advice and anxiety about it. Sticking around in the club because I did loads of googling research so might be able to offer help (and also wanted to hear how others get on!)

Mummers0514 Tue 01-Oct-13 14:41:00

That's great news Alexandra, what is your cervix at now?

Well miracles do happen. My cervix at 15 weeks is a whopping 43mm!! Got to carry on with hormones and then go back to check in 4 weeks, to say I'm relieved is an under statement. Thank you so muh for your help and i will stick around x

Alexandra6 Tue 01-Oct-13 14:55:35

Wow that's a looong cervix! Yay smile In all honesty I can't remember my exact measurement in the last one purely as I take it as a rough measurement after being told it's not an exact science - it was over 3 which helped me relax and they couldn't see any funnelling. I've really started to think it's so hard to measure and predict when it comes to the cervix. What a relief for you, congrats.

plentyofsoap Tue 01-Oct-13 17:55:50

Thats great news you must be very happy! It is very unpredictable with cervix lengths and you get the worse outcome given sometimes (like I did) A good friend of mine had funnelling and a very short cervix at 20 weeks. She had no treatment apart from bedrest and got to 35 weeks!

Prendero Wed 02-Oct-13 11:26:41

Hi there,

Hope everyone is having a good day!

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice, I am 26 weeks pregnant with twins and yesterday my cervix scan came back as 1.2 cm with 35 mm funnelling. I am due back tomorrow for a ffn test which will hopefully tell them I am not about to go into labour. He told me to take it easy and that a stitch was not an option. Some advice says that I should be on hospital bed rest, has anyone any experience of this?
Rosie x

Alexandra6 Wed 02-Oct-13 11:47:12

Hi rosie, are you UK based? Bed rest seems to be more recommended in the states from what I gather. If I were you though, I would personally put myself on bed rest and take it as easy as I possibly could and try and take the weight off the cervix. Where are you being treated? Good luck with the ffn test x

plentyofsoap Wed 02-Oct-13 12:46:05

Hi Rosie hope the test goes well today. I was 1.6 mm with funnelling at 26 weeks. I was advised to rest and placed on hormone treatment and the results have been positive. The hormone treatment is a trial drug so it depends on your consultant.

Prendero Thu 03-Oct-13 20:55:28

Thanks Alexandra and Plenty, unfortunately my ffn test came back positive and I have been admitted to Watford although there is no room in scbu so they are trying to transfer me to another hospital with neonatal availability - they have tried 15 so far with no luck and will try to find a hospital again on the night shift. They have given me steroids to help the babies lungs if they are born. Fingers crossed, Rosie x

Alexandra6 Thu 03-Oct-13 21:07:43

Oh sweetheart, I'm sorry. On the positive side, they will take it seriously with a positive ffn test and have given the steroids to help them if they do come soon. Be as horizontal as possible, am sure you are anyway, and each day will be a good thing to get them stronger and stronger. How frustrating about the full hospitals. Going to keep everything crossed for you x

plentyofsoap Thu 03-Oct-13 21:22:19

Sorry to hear that news you must be very worried. I had this in my last pregnancy and although it came back negative I went into labour two weeks after so it may not be immediate as there could be a window of time? My consultant did not do it for me this time at 26 weeks as he said they can sometimes give false positives. The steriods will make a huge difference they did with my ds. Stay positive, but I know how awful the worry is x

Alexandra6 Thu 10-Oct-13 20:18:22

How are you doing Rosie?

And how are you doing plenty? Can't believe how much time is flying now.

plentyofsoap Thu 10-Oct-13 21:42:04

Hi Alex, I take it no news is good news with you smile If I get to Mon I will have reached my goal of 33+2 (ds came at 33+1) Still taking the hormones and see the consultant at 34 weeks.
How are you feeling now?

Hollygolightly77 Sun 13-Oct-13 18:18:22

Haven't posted for so long, but amazingly I'm now 36 weeks pregnant and my stitch is being removed tomorrow!

I can't believe it after all the worry of the stitch being done at 18 weeks. Congratulations to everyone who has had their gorgeous bundles.

Piz, did you take a painkiller before your stitch removal?

Xx

plentyofsoap Mon 14-Oct-13 05:47:36

Thats great holly you must be very happy. Not long to go smile
My goal was 33 weeks which I made and then she arrived! 5ib breathing and feeding well and on the ward with me after a day. Early but it could have been alot earlier!
She has the new baby smell.... x

Hollygolightly77 Mon 14-Oct-13 13:52:59

Oh wow plenty! Congratulations on the arrival of your little girl smile

Stitch removed and my baba still in situ - am home now feeling slightly sore and very tired, the removal itself was just fine, was not painful thank god! Xx

Pizdets Tue 15-Oct-13 17:59:17

Hi guys,

Sorry not to have been here for a while, things have been manic with the new baby etc.

plenty fab news on the safe arrival of your little girl! 5lbs is great and I know a few babies born around that weight who are thriving. Hope you get home soon and enjoy having her with you!

Holly pleased the stitch removal was OK. I was offered gas and air and to be honest I'd rather have had no pain relief at all - it was uncomfortable but not agonising and the G&A was far too trippy! Countdown for you now - try not to get your hopes up for an early arrival like I did as waiting until your due date will drive you mad!

Rosie sorry to hear you're stressed, hope you're getting the support you need from the hospital and things are going OK. These cervixes just won't behave!

Hope everyone OK and the other new short cervix babies are thriving. Alistair is doing well and keeping us busy (and sleepless!) but we're totally smitten. Hope to hear about more safe arrivals soon.

Piz

Mummers0514 Tue 29-Oct-13 13:51:46

Hi how are you all doing? So good to see positive stories!!

Kelly1814 Fri 15-Nov-13 07:47:21

Plenty, congratulations! 5 pounds is a great weight at that stage! My DD was 4 pounds at 36 weeks.

She's now 8 weeks old and has chunked on the weight, doing really well.

Am sleep deprived beyond my wildest dreams and falling through the days, but boy, she is so cute!

We still look at her and remember the 'dark days' when we thought she was coming at 24, 28 weeks, and even when I had the stitch and we thought we might lose her completely.

It is truly amazing what the doctors can do now and we are all testament to that.

So great to hear these lovely positive stories, piz, am so thrilled Alastair is doing so well smile

popstar84 Sun 17-Nov-13 23:18:18

Hey ladies here's my story so far. In 2009 I had 2 cone biopsys etc from having cervical cancer. I'm now 28 1/2 weeks pregnant. At 16 weeks my cervix was 2.5cm, at 20 weeks it was 13mm and I was booked in for a stitch. I had 3 spinals confused and then they couldn't get the stitch in, there was no length. They had to cut around my bladder and try to get to my cervix another way but failed. I'm now on progesterone every day. Had my steroids last week and now it's just a waiting game. I'm so so relieved I've got to 28 weeks. Docs said any day from 20 so now it's starting to get exciting. She just needs to cook more. Anyone had similar? I've read quite a few but not all posts yet. If you had a similar thing to me how early was you? How was your labour and how quick? X. I love that I've found this group x smile

Bex18 Fri 22-Nov-13 20:47:09

Hi I'm 16 +6 and have a short cervix due to LLETZ 2 years ago. My cervix measured 25mm at my 12 week scan, as it's borderline they decided against a stitch.
I'm naturally anxious but trying not to worry too much.

Really want 20 week scan now and hope cervix hasn't shortened too much.

I suppose I'm looking for reassurance and stories from ladies who have had a short cervix and carried full term or close to that! I'm sure the odds are in our favour it's just a niggling worry.

X

Pizdets Wed 27-Nov-13 11:11:39

Kelly so pleased to hear your little girl is doing well! Feels like a lifetime ago we were 28 weeks-ish and so worried! We're not getting much sleep either but Alistair is growing well and now weighs 6kg at 8 weeks! Neither my husband or I are very tall or wide so I'm a bit perplexed about where this whopper of a baby came from but very pleased he'd doing well!

popstar and bex sorry that you find yourselves in this situation too. If you read back you'll find loads of great stories about healthy babies going to term (or very close) despite some difficult circumstances. popstar I know Kelly had very little cervix left and her dd is doing very well now after coming almost at term. bex I know quite a few ladies on this thread have not had the stitch in the end and seem to be doing just fine...I had it but had no problems at all and had myds at 40+2 - guess I'll never know if I needed it or not!

I don't check the thread as much now Alistair is here as he keeps me pretty busy but I hope that it will continue to be useful and give people some reassurance! It was wonderful for me to be able to share my worries with people in a similar situation and really reassured me.

Alex; Holly, hope all going well and to hear news soon.

Piz

LucyM000 Wed 11-Dec-13 12:43:38

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if anyone still checks this post but I'd love some advice... I lost triplets at 19+3 in May, due to possible IC. after more awful IVF we are pregnant again. Had stitch put in yesterday at just under 13 weeks... I insisted on it even though the docs said 'oh I'm sure 3 babies were just too much for your body'. Anyway after stitch surgeon said my cervix was only 1cm in length and it was extremely hard to place stitch but that it was in. Now I have pretty much given up all hope and am expecting to lose my precious rainbow baby too. I can't seem to find anybody who had such a short cervix at 13 weeks... Does anyone think this stitch could hold although my cervix is so rubbish already?

Thx in advance x

LenaW2109 Fri 13-Dec-13 15:04:22

Hi all

I hope no one minds me sharing but I lost my little boy 3.5 weeks ago at 21+6 and am coming to terms with what has happened. I had a consultant that when asked said she thought this was caused by an incompetent cervix but we have to wait until Feb to see the consultant again for all the test results from autopsy, bloods, genetic testing etc.
I am hoping my body gets back to normal relatively quickly so we can start trying again once the appointment is out of the way-I think the only way I can erase the pain is to get pregnant again-which of course will carry more worries this time if I have this condition. How do people not stress out completely next time you get pregnant? Also any advice on how long it will take my body to get back to normal?

thankyou xx

LucyM000 Fri 13-Dec-13 15:55:14

Hi LenaW2109, I'm so sorry for your loss. You're doing really well just getting this far, every day is tough. My body took about 6 to 8 weeks for my period to come but it didnt feel 'normal' as such for a couple of cycles, but that's diff for everyone I'm sure. We had to go through more ivf to get pregnant again which just stressed us out even more on top of our grief. But now we are pregnant again, it's tricky not to panic. I've been listening to zita wests pregnancy cd, it's a type of relaxation exercise/meditation which I used all through ivf and now through pregnancy. It just calms me slightly. Might not work for u but I'd say taking each day as it comes is really all you can do, and thinking positively. Oh and definitely getting a stitch. I just had mine done at 13 weeks and they never confirmed whether I had an incompetent cervix or not but I didn't dare risk carrying a baby without this extra safety net. Although from my last post I'm obvs still panicky, just getting reassurance from your consultants that you will be able to do it really helps. Oh and I go on the sands forum a lot, and speak to a lot of grieving mums-it really helps to know others understand. Be kind to yourself, Lucy xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now