Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

anyone else over 40 and pregnant?

(9 Posts)
Chocolatestain Wed 21-Aug-13 20:26:44

Hi, I think I may be hijacking this thread slightly as I'm no longer pregnant (DS is 8 months now) but just wanted to say don't let yourself get stressed by being older. If you're fit and healthy, age is irrelevant. I was 43 when I had DS and had an easier pregnancy than many of my younger friends.

There is no 'perfect time' to have a child - there are both advantages and disadvantages to being an older mum. For me, one of the big advantages was that I'd had the chance to do a lot of travelling and following my own goals and didn't feel liked I'd missed out by being tied down too young. The flip side of this, of course, is that I was used to my freedom and independence. I did worry quite a bit about how I would cope with having someone so utterly dependent on me and not being able to just pop out whenever I fancied, however your perspective totally changes when that little person arrives. You become a unit and do stuff together. I now feel weird if I go to Sainsbury's without him - no-one to chat to!
It's perfectly normal to feel apprehensive. It is a huge life change and can be incredibly challenging at times, but it also brings you right back to the fundamentals of life - finding utter joy in the simplest of things and an overwhelming love like you've never experienced before.

Jemima72 Wed 21-Aug-13 19:44:38

Hi- I'm also feeling bit overwhelmed. 8 weeks and totally unplanned. 41 mum and 45 dad- three kids between us from 10 to 25! Going from 'we can do this' to 'are we mad?!' Haven't booked in yet as can't quite head straight and can't sleep as feel v stressed by it interspersed by moments of calm and excitement. Never had such a whirlwind of emotions in my life!

F1onajb Tue 20-Aug-13 12:33:19

Thanks Isabeller ...... will now join the first thread smile smile

Isabeller Mon 19-Aug-13 16:58:00
F1onajb Mon 19-Aug-13 16:36:06

Hi HorseyGirl1,

Sorry I haven't replied before. I've felt so ill .... really bad nauseau and tiredness like I have never experienced. I'm now 14+1 and hopefully have turned the corner. Yes this is my first.

How are you feeling?

x

F1onajb Wed 17-Jul-13 16:33:02

Hi, I've just joined! I'm 8 weeks 3 days and am 42. I'm excited but very nervous.

Hope to get some good advice!!!

HorseyGirl1 Thu 13-Jun-13 19:46:12

Hi there. I'm sure there is somewhere on here but don't know where it is. this is just to say hi. I'm around 7 weeks. I'm 41 and will be 42 when this wee person arrives. This will be my second baby with me. First born when I was 40! In fact I found out I was preggo on my 40th! You will be fine - just rest as much as poss. Don't stand too long and enjoy the experience. Is this your first? x

NoPartyDay Mon 10-Jun-13 14:40:15

Hi SnowQ
I had my fourth child at 41. smile Babies and children dont mind a bit - ideally they want a Mum who is happy and healthy, but age is of no consequence although I had insecurities about being a mum over 40 too.

Remember your early twenties and how naive you were and compare how much you know about yourself, about life now. This is priceless and you will be sharing this wisdom with this gorgeous baby.
My children are all gorgeous and although I do have moments (Lots!!) I treasure memories of their baby years so very much now, and age just doesn't come into the memories. For me, and them, we remember fun stuff we did, yummy food we shared, the simple things and the joy of watching a beautiful baby grow . They love it when I tell them funny stuff they did, their first words, and songs they sang s a toddler, silly things. Age really is trivial amongst this kind of joy of sharing a loving family. I stress about being an older mum too at times with my fourth child, and the pressure to look or live a certain way (that comes from the media, and others). But we are not all clones us mums and thank goodness for us wise mummies smile

snowqu33n Mon 10-Jun-13 13:56:53

I am 43, will be 44 by the birth in December. I am alternating between nervous excitement and nervous wreck. Didnt really plan this but didnt really plan to avoid it either. Anyone in a similar situation? Or is there another thread I havent seen that I should have joined instead of starting this one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now