Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

December 2013 - part 3

(1000 Posts)
Holly1977 Wed 05-Jun-13 14:06:11

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1740732-December-2013-part-2

Starting yet another thread as us chatterboxes have filled up 2 already!

Jucy, I'm so sorry to hear your news. Big hugs, wish there was something more I could say. flowers

Frouby, if you're feeling crap just fuck the housework off, I do! It'll keep.

I'm scared and excited in equal measures about the scan on Friday. Looking forward to seeing bean and being able to get on with things. But obviously scared of getting bad news like Jucy... 2 days, 1 hour and 50 minutes to go!

My friend has offered to be a birthing partner too. I may well take her up on it, I suspect she'll be more help than OH. And as I'm planning on having a home water birth and OH has already invited his bloody mum (!) think it'll be good to have a friend there. I'm not private at all, have zero issues with people seeing me naked (as my neighbours will tell you) and she's seen me throw up enough times from our party days (though never shit myself to be fair) that I'm not too fussed about that.

Futterby Wed 17-Jul-13 19:18:12

Thanks Holly!

Omg abc!! How can they do that?! Can you contact HO? Sending you massive hugs flowers

NomDeClavier Wed 17-Jul-13 19:48:27

Oh dear abc. Do you suspect it's because you're pregnant? Or did she have other reasons? If the former are you in a union?

itsliz Wed 17-Jul-13 20:30:27

Congratulations, futterby! That's lovely news! flowers

And abc that's awful, I hope you're ok (or as ok as you can be?) Surely they have to give you more notice than that!

QueenofWhispers Wed 17-Jul-13 20:37:05

abcdemma I'm sorry I cross posted with you.

you deserve better, there has to be a silver lining in this somewhere and I'm sorry it's happened to you...want to come to a really awkward dinner party on Saturday?

I'm sorry.

Roselau Wed 17-Jul-13 21:24:22

Abc I'm so sorry. Are they actually allowed to fire you because you're pregnant?
I hope everything gets sorted out xoxo

Soopermum1 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:26:56

Hi All. Apologies been so quiet. All very busy with work and planning a chimeny breast remobal. my boss is planning a 2 month handover to my maternity leave cover , I feel rather valued with that. smile

Had 20 week scan today, all well and am having a girl! So, I'll have one of each, albeit 10 years in age apart. Am secretly very pleased. DS is getting to a very masculine stage in life, encouraged by very masculine DH, so will be nice to address the hormonal balance. Counting the cats there'll be 4 females to 3 males grin

Abc, really sorry to hear about your job. Hope you're OK.

Congratulations to all those having their 20 week scans now and good luck to those still to have them.

abcdemma Wed 17-Jul-13 22:53:15

Congrats sooper smile
I'd only been there 2 weeks and at my review the deputy sat me down and told me the manager hadn't seen my personality or some bollocks. I cleared plates ffs. I burst into tears in front of the whole pub (not the best place to fire someone!) and in between breaths managed to mumble that I was pregnant and in the process of getting a flat. She said she'd talk to the manager but to all intents and purposes I've lost my job, and probably the deposit for the flat. I turned down 4 other job offers for that bloody place. No point moping about it now (however much I want to), just gotta figure out where we go from here....

Featherbag Wed 17-Jul-13 23:01:20

Aw abc, that's really shitty, I'm sorry. In my experience though, everything happens for a reason - I've been in some really low places in my life, only to be riding a high I could never have dreamed of a short time later, thinking 'I'm so pleased I went through that, because it led me here'. I hope the same holds true for you xx

In other news - SQUEEEEEEE!!! I'm so excited to have my 20 week scan in the morning, and I'm even more excited that DH is coming with me! I so so so hope mark2 (as DH and I have started calling baby!) lets us in on his/her secret and doesn't keep his/her modesty like my friend's baby. She and her DH argued and debated for WEEKS before the scan, finally one convinced the other and they agreed to find out baby's gender, and baby kept his/her legs firmly crossed!

froubylou Thu 18-Jul-13 07:31:42

abc, biggest hugs darling. It seems like the end of the world right now BUT it's not honestly. Where do you live now? With friends and family? Would anyone be able to help you out for your deposit and first months rent etc? Its really shitty timing wise but at least during this heatwave you can relax and put your feet up a bit. No consolation if you are sat worrying about money etc but better than sweating on your feet all day for what I imagine is min wage.

Do you think they knew you were PG? Maybe by telling them they will panic and offer you your job back for fear of getting sued? Until your mat leave at least?

Feathers good luck for tomorrow hun. Let us know how you get on. My 20 week isn't until 8/8 which is just under 3 weeks away when I will be 20+6. Trying not to worry about it but you can't help it can you lol.

MrsShrubs Thu 18-Jul-13 09:39:29

abc have you tried temping agencies? They usually pay a bit over minimum wage, you'll be paid weekly most of the time & it would enable you to stop working whenever you want to? It's holiday season at the moment for 2months so offices always need temps right about now.

feathers lots of luck for today

MrsShrubs Thu 18-Jul-13 09:41:26

Ps anyone else going through the heat hell that is the London commute at the moment?

itsliz Thu 18-Jul-13 09:55:33

MrsShrubs I'm a fellow London commuter (Surrey to SW London via two trains and back again every day!) Luckily my 'baby on board' badge has encouraged a few nice men to give up their seats for me which has made things easier, but still doesn't solve the problem of feeling hot, sticky and uncomfortable on the way to and from work!

I've been looking to buy one of those mini handheld fans to make the journey easier, but can't seem to find any shops that sell them...

How have you been getting on?

Oh and best of luck for today, Featherbag! Hope you get to find out whether you're having a blue or a pink bean grin

Featherbag Thu 18-Jul-13 10:11:56

All well, and we're having another boy! I'm going to be totally outnumbered! grin

MrsShrubs Thu 18-Jul-13 11:07:44

Congratulations featherbag !!!!! Hope everything else went well too with the scan. And congrats soopermum missed you earlier!

itsliz I'm loving my badge too, If the trains really packed I've sat in first class too with it on and no one seems to mind, it's just so so hot. I'm carrying water with me everywhere. Just glad I don't have to get the tube, I can walk from london bridge to work.

NomDeClavier Thu 18-Jul-13 11:16:52

Where does one get this baby on board badge of which you speak? Not that I often go into London but it would be useful!

Congratulations on the scans and another boy for feather and a girl for sooper

frouby my scan is after yours! 12/8 which seems forever away.

abc sad seems it wasn't related to your pregnancy but a bit of a shitty excuse. Hopefully you will be able to temp at least.

In other news I've booked an appointment with my crack dealer baby shopping person to go and look at stuff for the new little one, try double prams (although I'm not sure I'll need one) and generally have a wonderful time cooing. Anyone in London I really recommend them, it makes a huge difference, everything is RRP and I swear they actually save you money in the long run because everyone else I know has gone through three prams or bought crap products and everything we got from them is just perfect.

We're going to need a new thread soon. I'll pop off and start one smile

NomDeClavier Thu 18-Jul-13 11:20:41
Holly1977 Thu 18-Jul-13 11:22:17

so sorry to hear about your job abc, that's rubbish.

Congrats to soopermum and feather. Is it just me or do we seem to be having more boys than girls? 2 weeks 6 days until we find out our flavour.

I don't envy you Londoners one bit. I'm struggling as it is and my train is almost always nice and cool and my car has air con. So I just have to drag my weary legs from office to train station and station to car and even that's killing me. Couldn't make it off the sofa at all last night. Really wanted to go to pg yoga but just physically couldn't move.

And in really big news (for me anyway), I am wearing an actual dress to work today! I've never worn anything but trousers before and it's really weird. I feel really self conscious, especially since bitch colleague keeps staring at my legs. But it's so much more comfortable I'm really glad, though, I'm still way too hot. Got the fan blowing directly on me now. BC is menopausal and without medication so is having hot flushes too. We're a right pair of hormonal sweating messes between us!

Itsliz, have a look on ebay, there's millions. Or I bet they have them in pound shops.

Feet in a bucket of cold water really is amazing, think I'll be doing that soon. I had to take my rings off yesterday cos my fingers were so swollen and loosen my birkenstocks (yes, I am that stylish) cos my feet were swollen! My heart goes out to really pg women, can't imagine how they must be feeling right now.

So H&M had some nice new summer maternity things. Debenhams have some stuff too but it was all far too twee for me. Even the H&M stuff isn't what I would normally go for but needs must. I feel really mumsy and twee in a polka dot brown dress!

QueenofWhispers Thu 18-Jul-13 11:23:01

I live in London...luckily I stipulated that I can't live anywhere without air conditioning...que husband buying a selection of ugly obtrusive air conditioners from argos when they went on sale in june of 06...does anyone have a partner who just buys a large amount of junk at a time?

froubylou Thu 18-Jul-13 11:39:23

Me Queen lol.

I have a full camping set up on top of my wardrobe. Never been and not planning on going either, especially whilst PG. Despite what DP thinks.

He thinks this year is the perfect year for it. I've already said no to a holiday abroad. Not the same if I can't drink/smoke/sunbathe so would be a waste of money IMO. So now he thinks we are going camping with some tosser friends of his in the school hols. He was looking at the campsite they have booked. Its 5* apparantly.

How the fook can a campsite be 5* when you take your own tent and blow up beds? And it would cost the same as a beach holiday with a real hotel and everything. Going to have to reach a compromise I think and do a few long weekends with guest houses on standby. Have told him I will try the tent on the proviso we go to a hotel if I no likee.

I already know I won't likee so will be in tent 1 night. And there is no way I'm doing it next year with a baby either. So he can just fook right off with his good ideas. Luckily DD agrees with me. And at 9 likes her creature comforts as much as me.

itsliz Thu 18-Jul-13 11:58:05

Woohoo, congrats feather and soopermum!!!

Nom I got mine from Waterloo, but you should be able to get them from most tube station kiosks. Just go up to the desk, tell them you're pregnant and ask if you can have a 'baby on board' badge. You don't need to give them any proof, so they should just hand it over straight away smile

MrsShrubs Sitting in First Class feels so good, doesn't it?! I don't know about you but it makes me feel like a bit of a rebel, haha! I'm not sure if they have any rules and regulations surrounding it but I've been asked to show them a MATB1 form as proof a couple of times, so it looks like I'll have to get that sorted...

Holly I'm not sure why (blame the heat turning my brain to mush!) but I hadn't actually thought to look on eBay! It'll save my achey legs from traipsing round the shops to hunt one down as well, which is an added bonus grin
I'm in exactly the same boat as you when it comes to dresses, too - they're fab in this heat aren't they?! I've worn leggings to work for as long as I can remember, but turned up in a dress the other day and nearly blinded everyone with my pale legs! Felt soooo much comfier though!
In fact I didn't realise how much comfier maternity wear and dresses are until yesterday when I had to work for 11 hours on location, in the absence of a fan/ air con, wearing a proper uniform... Ugh! Safe to say I'm extremely happy to be back at my desk today, sitting down next to a fan and wearing comfy clothes smile

Holly1977 Thu 18-Jul-13 11:58:25

Frouby, camping is fine when you're pissed and/or stoned. It's a good laugh and you can usually get a few hours kip, at least until your buzz wears off or you need a wee. Then it's game over, for me at least. And I always used to take loads of stuff, double air bed (for me), 2 x thick goose down duvets, pillows, teddies, the works. Which makes it all a right ball ache but bearable comfort wise. For TWO nights max. How anyone goes camping for more than that is beyond me. I suppose it's possible that not getting hammered means you don't have the whole nightmare of being woken up at 5am by the sun streaming into your tent boiling you alive and kids screaming from 7am onwards. You tell him lass!

Urgh, starting to feel a bit unwell with the heat now. Can just about stand it if fan is blowing directly on me but otherwise feel really wobbly. I know I shouldn't moan and it's nice that it's proper summer for a change, just wish it could have been summer when I wasn't pg!

NomDeClavier Thu 18-Jul-13 12:21:48

I shall get a badge on Monday then smile

I haaaaate camping. It isn't cheap by the time you've bought the kit, it's uncomfortable, the campsite loos and showers are always crap and it's just generally bug ridden. Maybe I'll change in 10 years time but for now NO THANKS!

Well done on the dress holly! I love dresses. Wearing a pair of my mother's shorts. Middle age stretchy shorts are a very good compromise between my shorts and proper maternity wear and there's not an elastic waistband in sight!

mumoftwoboysS Thu 18-Jul-13 12:59:04

I'm living in dresses too (not normally much of a dress person) and wearing my bargain £5 Matalan cotton sundress most days- had so many comments on it.

My bedtime routine in this heat to help my cankles/elephant feet consists of wading in cold water in the bath, body hop peppermint scrub, then peppermint foot cream, 2 ice blocks under the fitted sheet on my bed right where my feet will be, then fan on and ahh!

mumoftwoboysS Thu 18-Jul-13 13:00:02

Body hop? Oops that should say foot scrub

toni1bump Thu 18-Jul-13 14:00:36

Hey ladies. Thought id add myself to the thread. Due 2nd dec with baby girl :D x

This thread is not accepting new messages.