Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BFP wishes CAME true - Thread Two!

(1000 Posts)
Kittenkatzen Wed 05-Jun-13 14:02:05

Thought I may as well start this given I'll be around for another (hopefully) 14ish weeks smile Hope I've not crossed posts with anyone!

fatasbutter Tue 29-Oct-13 08:20:06

Ooh good luck when!! Waiting with bated breath!! X

How are you feeling now when??
Exciting, I hope it's the real thing! X

weechops Tue 29-Oct-13 12:24:55

Oh when hopefully it's the real deal and you'll have your baby in your arms soon ;)

My growth scan yesterday showed head down, average size baby so all go for a natural birth smile and the consultant was so lovely, I told her I lost my dad and that his birthday is my due date. She said I can go in the day before if I like for a sweep to get things moving and maybe baby will be born on the due date. Thought that was lovely of her smile

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Tue 29-Oct-13 14:13:50

Oh wee that's so sweet, I'm actually crying reading your lovely post. Due on your dads birthday, I bet he would have loved that. The sweep really could work, I had mine yesterday and I am pretty sure I'm in labour. All be it a very slow drawn out one.

Been having contractions since 8pm last night but they aren't really progressing very much. Still I've just had my bloody show so something's happening.

Thanks for the posts ladies, I think this could end up being a bit of a lengthy job.

Thingymajigs Tue 29-Oct-13 14:40:59

aww that's so lovely wee. Do think you will?
I'm getting excited for you when. I hope once it gets going it moves quickly for you. Not too quick though! Good luck! smile

Ahhh wee that would be magical wouldn't it, There are some lovely midwives out there arnt there smile
When how was your other labour? Fast/ long? Sounds like all the signs are there, did you get much sleep?

RedRobin1 Tue 29-Oct-13 20:52:38

Ooooo I'm pulling up a chair! Fx for a quick labour when hopefully things speed up tonight...you'll have a baby in your arms soon smile

Aww I welled up reading your post too wee really sweet of the consultant and how nice it would be to have baby on the same day as your dads birthday smile

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Tue 29-Oct-13 20:56:53

I'd put that chair back red I'm pretty sure I'm in labour but this looks like it could take a while.

kitty last labour was long, 36 hours from waters going till birth but my contractions hadn't started when my waters went.

This time I'm contracting but don't seem to be progressing much. I have had a bloody show, in fact I just got more of it just now. That's making me think I've hardly dilated at all yet sad angry this baby really doesn't seem to want to be born.

RedRobin1 Tue 29-Oct-13 22:30:10

<sigh!> puts chair back smile

when if it helps my friend had a bloody show and her contractions really sped up over night after the show and she had the baby by 10am. She was in slow labour for 48 hours before the bloody show....

How are you doing when? Hope you got some sleep or a baby wink x

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Wed 30-Oct-13 08:50:24

Hi red hi kitty thingy

I got both sleep and a baby. Baby Nathaniel was born at 2.20am. I'll be back with the birthing story later (short version is it took ages and ages and then it all happened really quickly).

RedRobin1 Wed 30-Oct-13 09:51:05

gringringrin Congratulations when - nathaniel is a lovely name! Hope you and baby are doing well... come back and tell us about it all after you have rested!

So happy for you smile

Thingymajigs Wed 30-Oct-13 10:23:19

Congratulations! smile I can't believe how quickly that happened! Like you my other two labours took days, I hope this one is as quick as yours.
Nathaniel is a great name. Hope you're getting lots of rest.

Ah when that's great gringrin sounds like it wasn't too bad if you managed abit of sleep ( disclaimer as not bad as it can be?!) can't wait to see pictures, I love the name too

weechops Wed 30-Oct-13 20:30:03

Congratulations when!!! Great name too smile

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Thu 31-Oct-13 04:56:57

Hi guys, you know I love a good birthing story well here is Nathaniels.

I had a sweep on Monday as I was 40+1. I started getting contractions at 8pm. Tried to get some sleep at 11pm but they hurt too much to sleep (tbh I think I was just a bit too excited to sleep). I left dh in bed so he could sleep and went and watched tv.

By 5.30am I was knackered and managed to sleep for an hour or two. I spent the rest of Tuesday in labour but it was a bit odd, if I was at all upright it was really painful but if I lay on my side the contractions eased off a bit and I could rest a little. The whole time contractions were every 5 mins.

I had my show on Tuesday, by 10.30pm I was passing blood so we went to the hospital to get checked out. On the car journey there the pain ramped up quite a bit.

Got to thr hospital at 11.30pm the midwife examined me and said I was only 3 cms dilated sad and the reason I was in a lot of pain was that he was back to back. She said she would normally send me home but felt I needed something a bit stronger for the pain (I had cocodemol).

By 1.15am I was begging for more drugs but the midwife wouldn't give me any. By 1.45pm I begged again as it really hurt like hell. Was told to go in the shower and relax (this did fuck all except maybe distracted me a bit).

At some point I started pushing in the shower and my waters went, dh got the midwife. Who told me she wanted to feel my stomach for contractions. At this point midwife and dh were talking about using pethidine or remifentin to help, I was ignoring them both and pushing.

I just demanded gas and air and crawled onto the bed in a kind of upright position. Thankfully midwife was getting the gas and air at this point, 1 minute after she set up the gas and air she noticed she could see the babys head and Nate was born three pushes later.

The whole thing was really surreal, I thought I was only about 4 cms dilated and being a complete wimp about the pain to suddenly giving birth within minutes.

It wasn't fun but the recovery is going well. Because I had no drugs I seem to be recovering that bit quicker. Most people have commented that I look really well considering I just gave birth. I was able to potter around the house making dinner and doing a bit of washing up.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Thu 31-Oct-13 04:57:54

Sorry for the essay. I love telling birthing stories almost as much as I love hearing them.

Ahhh I love a good birth story when! You should copy and paste and keep it for him, a friend I know has done hers for a mw journal and included finding out she was pg and how she felt etc, it's lovely
All without drugs you clever girl! Man I hate mw refusing then though, it really drives me mad, why should you have to demand them, I had to about 5 times before she realised I wasn't going to change my mind, that and I said whatever you say I won't change my mind lolwink just seen your pic too, he is gorgeous absolutely gorgeous!!

RedRobin1 Thu 31-Oct-13 15:09:18

I love reading birth stories! I cannot believe the midwife - just give out the drugs man!!!

I laughed at midwife and dh were talking about using pethidine or remifentin to help, I was ignoring them both and pushing this is exactly what I would do if they ever tried to give me pethidine

Did you feel the urge to push in the shower when? Or did you have to forcefully push in the shower to break the waters! Sorry personal question but I am just curious and surely you must be fully dilated to get the baby out?

I am not on fb sad are you able to put a pic on your MN profile?

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Thu 31-Oct-13 16:25:19

I don't know if I would describe the shower pushing as an urge to push. It was more it really hurt and pushing reduced the pain.

When I got on the bed then I had an overwhelming almost uncontrollable urge to push. It's funny I didn't have the same urge to push with dd at all and I have a friend with two boys. She had no urge to push with the first but did with the second.

Alexandra6 Thu 31-Oct-13 17:44:17

when congratulations!! I realised I hadn't been on for a little while so thought I'd update and catch up, only to realise I've been missing all the excitement of your birth!! Oh I love a birth story, brought a tear to my eye especially as mine is getting so close now. Lovely name and it's reassuring me you that managed to do it without epidural etc. What's cocodemol, I haven't heard of that one?

I'm all good, a week and a half to mat leave, have a cold and get ridiculously tired at the moment (and our DIY project still isn't finished) but all well otherwise - had my 36 midwife app this morning and the baby is head down, yay. Not ready for it to come yet (as it's too early, we have too much stuff to do around the house and my legs urgently need a wax) but it's nice to know it's lining itself up for the exit!

Alexandra6 Thu 31-Oct-13 17:47:41

Oh and when I'm listening to hypnobirthing CDs, which is all a bit hippy, but someone recommended it and it's always talking about listening to your body, no one knows your body better than you do and the baby knows best etc - sounds like that's what you did with the pushing even though they didn't know you were ready?

Have also read everyone else's posts though and maybe I'm crazy for secretly hoping I can do it with just gas and air? Not because I want a medal, purely because I'm wondering if my body will do it better if it isn't drugged up? Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to change my mind on this when the pain kicks in wink

RedRobin1 Thu 31-Oct-13 19:15:17

alex couldn't have put it better myself. I really want to go down the water birth / gas and air route and it's reassuring to know when that you were up and doing normal things after birth even on just gas and air.

I am hoping I don't need the epidural but I have no idea what my pain tolerance level is

RedRobin1 Sun 03-Nov-13 20:47:59

How are you and baby doing when?

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Thu 07-Nov-13 20:54:30

Hi red we are doing ok thanks. How are you getting on?

Baby only lost 3 ounces in 5 days which I was really pleased at. I was lucky my milk only took 2.5 days to come in. It's been a bit tricky with illnesses. Baby is fine but dh and I came down with a cold the day after the birth (not really bad but not needed).

Then dd caught it. It's keeping her up all night with croup and then she's beyond cranky in the day. She seems to be over the worst of it though.

We have been really lucky with Nate, health wise the only thing wrong with him is slightly dry skin and he sleeps very well for a newborn. Dd got colic at 5 days old, compared to her he is a dream baby (it is early days though, still time for it to all go wrong) grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.